Author Topic: [GB] ESPECTRO  (Read 68476 times)

Offline JMD

• All we want is happiness.
    • Mech Keys
[GB] ESPECTRO
« on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 17:25:14 »
November 20
99% of orders are out. There are only 2 assembly boards left leaving the shop today.

Extras are all in the store in limited quantity. People have started posting their build photos and stuff online, and they are looking really really good. I'm very happy to be seeing them.

https://mechkeys.ca/products/espectro

Some still wanted refunds - I am no longer offering that. Your orders will ship. You can sell them on your own accord or build them. I am unable to complete your refund.

Optional Grey Color & Brass Plate & Second PCB is now active.
https://mechkeys.ca/collections/group-buys/products/espectro-96-brass-plate-optional-second-pcb

Are you from China? Order an Espectro from our partner ZFrontier and have it shipped locally =)
https://www.zfrontier.com/m/3464

To read up more on the product, see the live orders placed, and buy your own please head over here
https://mechkeys.ca/products/espectro [/size]

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

[/center]

Prices and Timeline
$290 CAD = $230 USD
Feb 14th Group Buy Opens
March 20th Group Buy Ends
Production begins March 21st
Production runs for approximately 30 to 40 days

Features
CNC Milled Aluminum
QMK Firmware
RGB Underglow
Top mounted plate
Poly Carbonate bottom diffuser for RGB
Caps/Num Lock/Scroll Lock indicator LEDs
MINI USB
5 Degree Angle

What you are buying
White silkscreen QMK PCB
Anodized aluminum top case
Anodized aluminum top mounted plate
Polycarbonate base
HARDWARE FOR ASSEMBLY
1X 6.25U Stabilizer
4X 2.0U Stabilizers

« Last Edit: Tue, 15 January 2019, 05:44:29 by JMD »
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: ESPECTRO 96
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 17:29:14 »
Approval bump.  Link to the Interest Checks thread for this group buy: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93126.0
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Peppermint216

Re: [GB]ESPECTRO 96 + Zealio Switches - GB Open!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 00:55:49 »
I'm sure you mentioned an EU proxy for this on Reddit?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 01:01:26 »
There is no order limit right? I am bouncing around what color I want before ordering I am honestly really beside my self trying to decided.

Cyan/Teal.. Cause I got a KBD75 in Cyan that I really like this might be a nice compliment to it
Black.. Black is classic but its also about as standard as they come... any keyboard can be gotten in black
Red.. Cause its a nice shade almost orange shade of red. Only problem is finding keycaps that would match
Gold.. cause why not but then again once more Keycaps to match
Emerald Green.. Cause you know green looks amazing but then keycaps..

What color are you guys going with?

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 01:46:57 »
I'm sure you mentioned an EU proxy for this on Reddit?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I will be establishing that connection with David from mykeyboard.eu shortly - it's a bit late yes, but I am going to work on making that a reality!
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 01:47:15 »
There is no order limit right? I am bouncing around what color I want before ordering I am honestly really beside my self trying to decided.

Cyan/Teal.. Cause I got a KBD75 in Cyan that I really like this might be a nice compliment to it
Black.. Black is classic but its also about as standard as they come... any keyboard can be gotten in black
Red.. Cause its a nice shade almost orange shade of red. Only problem is finding keycaps that would match
Gold.. cause why not but then again once more Keycaps to match
Emerald Green.. Cause you know green looks amazing but then keycaps..

I'm doing raw aluminum and getting custom powder coating :D
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Skinjob

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 17:14:20 »
I bought the 96KEE in the last GB but I might have to sell the kid and go with this. Looks amazing.

I was thinking Gold but I'm not sure how it will look with XDA Godspeed. (the set that will end up on my 96 key)

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 17:37:16 »
I bought the 96KEE in the last GB but I might have to sell the kid and go with this. Looks amazing.

I was thinking Gold but I'm not sure how it will look with XDA Godspeed. (the set that will end up on my 96 key)
For sure! The gold would look amazing with XDA Godspeed. I would love to see that.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 17:54:00 »
Hey Dave, is the silver color the same as the MM2? I was hoping you might have offered a darker grey. Oh, well...I'm between purple and silver right now. Hmmm...

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 18:48:59 »
Hey Dave, is the silver color the same as the MM2? I was hoping you might have offered a darker grey. Oh, well...I'm between purple and silver right now. Hmmm...
Hey Mike!

Silver is the same - HOWEVER - I am waiting for factory to come back from holidays, because they said they might have a Gunmetal color for me :)
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 19:01:58 »
Hey Mike!

Silver is the same - HOWEVER - I am waiting for factory to come back from holidays, because they said they might have a Gunmetal color for me :)

:eek:

Offline HotRoderX

Re: [GB] ESPECTRO 96 - 18/100 MOQ - GB Ends March 20th
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 00:00:56 »
Question if we order another color then Gunmetal comes on to the scene.. will there be a option to update to gunmetal if we wanted???

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 00:17:51 »
Question if we order another color then Gunmetal comes on to the scene.. will there be a option to update to gunmetal if we wanted???
100% You will be able to switch.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 02:12:22 »

Sweet thanks for the quick updates and replay's wish all gb/ic where so quick to respond.

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 09:47:55 »
Is it safe to say that the blue from the mechmini 2 can be replicated on this case? Similar to this?  

If so then I know I'm going to be buying a blue one!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 17:25:51 »
Is it safe to say that the blue from the mechmini 2 can be replicated on this case? Similar to this?
Show Image

im not involved with this GB but should be close if it's the same factory

no two ano batches are exactly the same, though
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 17:42:09 »
Show Image

Yea I had the same thoughts, I just wanted to hear confirmation from Dave that it would be the same factory doing the anodizing so I can hope the color comes out with the same depth as the previous Royal Blue before I throw down my mula. Thank you for the helpful words though!

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 01:11:34 »

Sweet thanks for the quick updates and replay's wish all gb/ic where so quick to respond.
I am glad to be of your service!
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 01:12:46 »
Show Image

As puddy stated, the colors will come very close. Production MM2 in purple next to Espectro Prototype in the same purple - the espectro is just the slightest shade darker of purple.
Show Image

Yea I had the same thoughts, I just wanted to hear confirmation from Dave that it would be the same factory doing the anodizing so I can hope the color comes out with the same depth as the previous Royal Blue before I throw down my mula. Thank you for the helpful words though!

Show Image

Show Image

Yeah pretty much what Puddy said is bang on the money =)
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
Hey everyone! Some good news. In the immediate future I will be adding brass plates for sale for Espectro as well as a gunmetal / dark grey color. Here's a render of the expected color.

Keep in mind - this is a new color with the factory, it can turn out as good as the render, or it could turn out better or worse. Please know by playing an order / switching the color, you accept this - and you will not be able to return/refund/exchange your unit.

« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 03:47:48 by JMD »
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline HotRoderX

Hey everyone! Some good news. In the immediate future I will be adding brass weights for sale for Espectro as well as a gunmetal / dark grey color. Here's a render of the expected color.

Keep in mind - this is a new color with the factory, it can turn out as good as the render, or it could turn out better or worse. Please know by playing an order / switching the color, you accept this - and you will not be able to return/refund/exchange your unit.

Show Image

is the brass weight a brass plate? I am curious to how a brass weight would work with this! That gunmetal looks nice. I am still so on the fence. I want Cyan, Gunmetal now, Red, Emerald and Dark Purple.. Perhaps if I play the lotto this week I can just win that... then won't have to choose  :p

Offline KaosJ

Hey everyone! Some good news. In the immediate future I will be adding brass weights for sale for Espectro

Show Image

From the renders seems like the whole base bottom is brass, so brass instead of PC, am i right?  If so, what will be the price and when it will happen? Seems interesting
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 03:39:27 by KaosJ »

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
I am so sorry and I typo'd! I really meant to say brass plates! Sorry for any confusion guys.

HotRoderX - the color dilema. I had the same crisis occur when I was choosing the prototype color :(
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Data

Any photos of the RGB in action?

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
Any photos of the RGB in action?
Coming today! I just did the final assembly on the prototype - had a few mis-designs to fix in the plate before I built it all. I even purchased new ikea desk setup for this monumental occasion hahaha
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
I AM SO CONFLICTED WITH THE COLORS

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
For anyone conflicted with colors.....I suggest purple. I love my purple Espectro.

Updated build photos here.
'https://imgur.com/a/J1bMk
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline HotRoderX

I am narrowing down my choices and was wondering if anyone could comment who might have gotten a mechmini 2 or even JMD... is the red more of a orangish red?

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
I am narrowing down my choices and was wondering if anyone could comment who might have gotten a mechmini 2 or even JMD... is the red more of a orangish red?
in my opinion, and the two people who own red mechmini 2's - my factory anodizing on a scale of red to orange red, is sitting real close to red.

It's not until you put it into sunlight, with the suns golden hue - that it introduces the SLIGHTEST tinge of orange. But I think that's due mostly to the anodizing having a sort of sparkle/sheen underneath it.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/335111878357417994/416542076792995850/image.jpg?width=905&height=679
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
Looking in both threads, I cannot find any pictures of the PCB itself. Can we have pictures of the top and underside of it? Love me some high-res circuitry!  ;D

Also what color plates are available? does it match the case color?
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 February 2018, 20:49:14 by matt2dlg »

Offline HotRoderX

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/335111878357417994/416542076792995850/image.jpg?width=905&height=679

Thanks JMD your amazingly helpful.. this helps narrow it down even further. I am hoping to pull the trigger on this next friday.. hopefully there no limit to the number that can be ordered. I was suppose to have some money coming in... and still waiting on them thought next Friday is payday sooo as long as there is no order cap! I should be ok.

Offline upintheclouds

What layouts are supported?

Does the PCB support 1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-2-1-1 on the bottom row?

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys

Thanks JMD your amazingly helpful.. this helps narrow it down even further. I am hoping to pull the trigger on this next friday.. hopefully there no limit to the number that can be ordered. I was suppose to have some money coming in... and still waiting on them thought next Friday is payday sooo as long as there is no order cap! I should be ok.
There is no buy limit! However, the minimum I have imposed is 50. I really want to at least see 50 loving homes receive an Espectro, but ultimately my goal is 100+!
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
What layouts are supported?

Does the PCB support 1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-2-1-1 on the bottom row?
You know what. Let me get a picture up of the pcb for you guys.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Trousers

Am I correct to assume that there are no switches in place in the model pictures? Or why are there weird gaps between some of the keys? And would that also mean that the keys won't sit quite that deep?

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
Am I correct to assume that there are no switches in place in the model pictures? Or why are there weird gaps between some of the keys? And would that also mean that the keys won't sit quite that deep?
Check the updated photos on the product page :D

It's now fully assembled and it's absolutely glorious with GMK!!
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline upintheclouds

GMK? All the 'assembled' pictures on the mechkeys.ca site look like an SA keycap set. GMK doesn't make SA profile caps.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys

GMK? All the 'assembled' pictures on the mechkeys.ca site look like an SA keycap set. GMK doesn't make SA profile caps.
I never said the pictures on the website would illustrate the board with GMK on it ;)
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline upintheclouds

I never said the pictures on the website would illustrate the board with GMK on it ;)
;) I suppose not. There's still just one thing I'm not sure about, and that is the photos of the pre-production aluminum pieces with the anodizing done. Are these just color samples? The shape of them appears very different to the renders of the project.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
;) I suppose not. There's still just one thing I'm not sure about, and that is the photos of the pre-production aluminum pieces with the anodizing done. Are these just color samples? The shape of them appears very different to the renders of the project.
Those are mechmini 2's, from the same factory, with the same anodizing.

I wasn't about to buy 10 prototypes for each color Espectro, its not cheap.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Carlobv

Re: [GB] ESPECTRO 96 - 30/50 MOQ - GB Ends March 20th - NEW COLOR & BRASS PLATE!
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 10:14:23 »
Is the second image on the website the raw aluminum?  It looks like the bottom of the case.

Do you have dimensions for the case?

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
Re: [GB] ESPECTRO 96 - 30/50 MOQ - GB Ends March 20th - NEW COLOR & BRASS PLATE!
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 16:35:59 »
Is the second image on the website the raw aluminum?  It looks like the bottom of the case.

Do you have dimensions for the case?
Yep! Raw aluminum.

Dimensions of the case should be in the post on the website, let me double check to ensure they are there. If not I will add them
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Chimera

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 21:19:33 »
Is there still going to be engravings in the rear? I didn't notice any on yours. If so, what are you planning on the engravings looking like

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 21:28:16 »
this might be a silly question but the PCB's are coming ready to use right? We just gotta solder on the switches/leds and we are good to go?

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 02:00:16 »
Is there still going to be engravings in the rear? I didn't notice any on yours. If so, what are you planning on the engravings looking like
The back end of the Espectro will have MECHKEYS x KOOB engraved in the center as it is both of our work that went into the design of this keyboard :)
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 02:00:38 »
this might be a silly question but the PCB's are coming ready to use right? We just gotta solder on the switches/leds and we are good to go?
Everything was done via SMT at the factory. PCB's are plug and play ready and the only soldering required is of your switches =)
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Carlobv

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 08:48:44 »
Do you know when the brass plate will be available and the cost?  I think I'm finally done deciding and ready to order.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 13:01:25 »
Do you know when the brass plate will be available and the cost?  I think I'm finally done deciding and ready to order.
https://mechkeys.ca/collections/group-buys/products/espectro-96-brass-plate-optional-second-pcb

Online ready for you now.
- mechkeys - ca -