Author Topic: Got the blues today  (Read 3178 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Got the blues today
« on: Wed, 05 March 2008, 14:24:08 »
The iOne Scorpius M10 arrived today. The keyboard itself feels a little chinsier than what I'm used to, but it is a $50 mechanical keyboard after all. The blues are alright but they are far from my favorite switch. I think the browns actuate a little sooner or something because they feel touchier than the blues.

I need a few days on this, but we'll talk more about this in the near future.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Got the blues today
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 March 2008, 11:59:39 »
So far, I like the Cherry browns best. If I want a clicky switch, I prefer the Alps whites to the Cherry blues any day. After so long on the capacitive and Cherry brown switches, the blues actually cause me a significant amount of wrist discomfort while typing. This I find kind of shocking. I wonder if it could be an artifact of the keyboard itself.

Wnat do you think GeekHackers? Could my wrist discomfort be caused by the keyboard or is the switch to blame?

Offline zerogravitas

Got the blues today
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 March 2008, 13:13:48 »
How do they feel compared to Model M Buckling springs?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Got the blues today
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 March 2008, 13:36:13 »
Not nearly as stiff and the buckling springs have a real solid, rigid feel to them that I have not encountered in any other keyboard. These don't have that, they feel like Cherry switches. I really don't know how to say about it better than that. The browns, blacks and blues all this same sort of feel which is different than Alps and buckling springs.

More later, I NEED to catch up on some school stuff right now.

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
Got the blues today
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 March 2008, 16:01:56 »
Wnat do you think GeekHackers? Could my wrist discomfort be caused by the keyboard or is the switch to blame?

It's the keyboard . I guess you havent noticed that the keys are deep in the plastic shell of the keyboard.  I noticed it mostly w/ the Ins/Del/Home/End/PageUp/PageDown keys when I used that keyboard (scorpious m10).

I tried to compare it w/ a "regular" keyboard and it seemed like the keys are actually angled differently but it was too hard to tell.

Offline sashomasho

Got the blues today
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 March 2008, 16:54:13 »
Quote from: karlito;3472
It's the keyboard . I guess you havent noticed that the keys are deep in the plastic shell of the keyboard.  I noticed it mostly w/ the Ins/Del/Home/End/PageUp/PageDown keys when I used that keyboard (scorpious m10).

I tried to compare it w/ a "regular" keyboard and it seemed like the keys are actually angled differently but it was too hard to tell.

yes, i find these keys very uncomfortable to use too... the enter is  angled in a strange way too, but nevertheless i like the keyboard and the blues, i haven't experienced any wrist problems so far, the main things that bother me is what you mentioned above and i hate the different sound/feel of Ins,Home,PageUp keys. i think that if we can find a blue filco with non-japanese layout - we will be far more impressed.

Offline IBI

Got the blues today
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 March 2008, 17:08:28 »
Quote from: karlito;3472

It certainly looks like it's got pretty strange contours.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Got the blues today
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 March 2008, 17:10:04 »
I notice it most on the Up arrow. I'm think of doing what you did Karlito. I might try the Filco keys on here too. We'll see.

Got the blues today
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 March 2008, 18:50:23 »
Interesting keyboard with blue cherries.  The RJ-11 connector is puzzling.  (This seller has quite a few interesting boards).

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Got the blues today
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 March 2008, 19:10:40 »
Looks like it's for a ruggedized PC of some kind...