Author Topic: Kingsaver with Complicated Blue Alps  (Read 22444 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Kingsaver with Complicated Blue Alps
« on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 15:23:16 »

Title Card with the Kingsaver by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

All the pictures from this build and review can be found on my flickr. I have two albums, the Datacomp XT and Kingsaver. And I have posted a typing test video of me typing on the board here.

The Kingsaver keyboard; For me, this was my ultimate Alps keyboard. As you might have read in the “What did you get in the mail today?” or elsewhere, I’ve been hunting a long time for this keyboard. It was, and still is, one of my dream boards and I’m very happy to finally own it. And of course one shouldn’t settle for less when it comes to dreams so I have the “proper” switches in it as well.

Now I don’t think there’s a lot of information about the board other than some classifieds ads on Geekhack and a few pictures from AkimbrO. I think I only know about it because of AKIMbO and Smallfry. But that’s beside the point, since I’m going to try and cover as much information as possible in this thread about the keyboard. 

X SAVER by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

Kingsaver Info
If you have never heard of it, the Kingsaver is a custom keyboard from kbdmania. The keyboard was designed by Byungho Kim, aka TrueCustom. He’s on Geekhack and I believe he sold the Duck Mini v2, which had the ability to accept Alps switches as well. It seems he’s far more active on kbdmania since he hasn’t logged into Geekhack since November 2013. Anyways he designed the firmware, PCB, case, and plate; the whole keyboard. It was sold in a groupbuy on kbdmania during mid 2013.

The Kingsaver was designed around the Wang 724 keyboard’s keycaps, stabilizers, and layout. The keycaps are dyesub PBT. I think the windowed caps are dyesubbed as well. I’m a fan of the layout since it’s very similar to the modern ANSI winkeyless layout. Of course there are a few differences: the large Exec key, the GL key, and three extra keys on the function row.  The larger caps like Backspace, Shifts, and the spacebars are larger than normal. For example, I measure the top of a Cherry white on black enter to be 1.570 inches. The enter key on this keyboard is 1.620 inches. But overall, the layout and keycap sizes are relatively the same as the modern ANSI WKL layout.  Check out sandy55’s picture for more clarity. In use, I didn’t have any problems with the layout on the Kingsaver, other than missing the windows key. I’ll talk a little more about the Wang 724 a little further in this writeup since I also didn’t know a lot about the keyboard or what Wang keyboards were until I started this.

The PCB only accepts Alps switches, and I believe that the SMK Alps or “Monterey Blue Alps” switches will not fit. I think only SKCL/SKCM Alps or “complicated Alps” will fit. My Kingsaver has SKCL Blue Alps or complicated blue Alps switches harvested from a Datacomp AT 84 key clone keyboard, model DFK777. It originally had complicated linear Green Alps. As shown in AKIMbO’s pictures, the PCB will accept Salmon Alps as well. And finkl on kbdmania has tactile Orange Alps. So what I’m really trying to say is, if you’re able to get a Kingsaver, you will have plenty of switch options even if you can only put complicated Alps in. I should also say that the PCB has a standard mini-USB connector to it so that you can use your typical keyboard cables.

I believe the case is 6061 aluminum and TrueCustom states that the plate is stainless steel. I don’t have a scale but I would guess the total keyboard weight is between 5 and 6 pounds. (I finally bought a scale and it weighs 3 lbs 12.3 oz or 1.71 kg.) The board has a very simple design, reminiscent of the KMAC tenkeyless keyboards. The top cover has the word “SAVER” cut into it. “SAVER” is right below the navigation cluster (Where page up and down are). And on the bottom/back of the case, it says “X SAVER” with a huge X. All the cases I’ve ever seen are anodized silver. I’ve seen variants where the “SAVER” on the front had gold infill. And it also seems Duck0113 had a kit where you could infill the “X SAVER” on the back with a dark silver insert. I have neither type of infill. The case is propped up with two round feet, also like the KMAC. This is in contrast to say the flip out feet in commercially available keyboards or the bar on the LZ-GH.

Kingsaver Programming Info
Since the keyboard is a custom PCB, driven by an ATMega32U4, you can customize your layout using the GUI program named "Kingsaver.exe which will be contained in the "Wang saver keymapping program tutorial" links from Listokei's site. When you download it, the file should be a .zip and it's named "ksMap_v0.zip". It’s created by TrueCustom but hosted on Listokei’s site. The video isn't thorough and neglects to show some steps. I recommend referring to nubbinator's directions here. You’ll need to have Atmel Flip and Microsoft Framework 2.0 installed before running the remap program which has a nice GUI layout which is good for people who are code inept like me.

Wang 724 Keyboard
Since the Deskthority entry is a bit lacking, I thought I’d put some information on this keyboard here as well. If you’re in the hunt for a Kingsaver, you may need to find a board for the keycaps/stabilizers.

Wang Laboratories was a computer company which was a competitor to IBM. Dr. An Wang founded the company and it was based in Massachusetts. The comporation was famous for its typesetters, electronic calculators, word processors, and personal computers.  Wang VS and Wang PCs were successful computers put out by Wang Laboratories. Wang Labs, as well as the companies that bought our Wang, supported the VS line from 1982 until 2008.  More information can be found in this company overview brochure from Wang Laboratories Inc.. Thank you to Wang2200.org for hosting the overview and providing a lot of information on Wang in general.

The Wang PC is the computer system that the Wang 724 keyboard is used on. According to the Wang Museum website, the 725-3770 went with a Wang PC that ran off the IBM 386 CPU.  A picture from the Wang Museum site showing the keyboard can be found here. The Wang 724 is the model number for the keyboard and the ANSI version of the keyboard is 725-3770. 725-3771 is the ISO version. According to the Deskthority wiki, the 725-3770 came in variants with Orange, Salmon, and Black Alps; the LEDs had Green or Yellow Alps switches which also had LED cutouts. The layout, as I mentioned before, is

In addition to the Wang Museum’s information, I found that sandy55 had great pictures of the 725-3770 keyboard. And I enjoyed komar007’s teardown, pictures,  and review of the 725-3771.

Kingsaver Build Log
Sometimes when I finish working on a keyboard, I look back and wonder why it can’t be a smooth process for me. I always have to have some kind of trouble or a story to go with the build. This time, I learned that the PCB has been worked on at least twice and it wasn’t in very good shape. In fact, I believe that the PCB has reached the end of its “moddability”. In other words, it cannot be re-soldered to have different switches because of all the lifted pads and melting from the heat.  I think I had 10 sets of pads lift on me, all of which I managed to salvage except for one.
The hardest switches to deal with were the “9” and “|\” switches. When I in the middle of desoldering those switches, I realized that pulling the switch bottoms out would completely destroy the pads. I left the bottoms in and swapped the click leaf, spring, and stem from the Blue Alps switches into the Green Alps bottoms I left on the board. That is why in this picture, there are two empty switch bottoms. I was so nervous I was going to bend the leaf springs or jam something. I had *exactly* 84 Blue Alps switches so breaking anything would mean I’d be short switches. Luckily, I was patient and didn’t rush the rebuild process too much so I was able to do a successful transfer. Looking back, I could have worked slower.

To open the switches up and swap the internals, I used this album from Ripster. If you look at this picture from the Deskthority wiki, you’ll notice that there’s two leaf springs. One is on the plate that has the little legs and one that has no legs. The one with no legs is the leaf spring that gives Blue Alps their clicky feeling. How did I learn this? While transferring the internals, I tried to rebuild the switch without that leaf. It doesn’t work.

When rebuilding the switches, the switch bottom will be on the board. When you swap in the internals, make sure you place everything into the *tip* half of the switch. It has guides and sections where everything should sit. You can use grease or really thick Krytox lube to hold the parts in place when you reseat the housing top. So place the stem in and then put the click leaf spring in carefully. Add a little lube to hold the leaf spring in. Then add a dab of grease to the top of the spring diameter and then sit that into the stem. Finally, carefully turn everything over and snap the housing and parts into the base of the switch. I had to do this multiple times because I kept seating the spring improperly, cause the switch to not actuate correctly. I was also freaking out that I was going to break something. So just stay calm so your work can go a little faster.

Because of the pad lifting issue and me rushing, I couldn’t fix the F8. My F8 doesn’t work but I will be remapping Scroll Lock to be F8. The other issue is that I learned that only Green and Yellow Alps have the cutout for LEDs. Other Alps keyboards will use just two of these switches in the LED locations. However, I don’t like non uniform boards so I’ve replaced *all* the switches and my LED windowed caps no longer light up. It doesn’t bother me.

If you manage to find a new kit or a kit that hasn’t been worked on twice before, you shouldn’t have any problems. And be sure to take care of your soldering iron. My iron was EXTREMELY oxidized which didn’t help the situation until mkawa scolded me and helped me to clean it.

So enough about me freaking out and saving my build, here’s some pictures. My flickr has the full albums of the Datacomp XT I harvested the switches from and the Kingsaver, both before and after the switch swap. As always, I tried to process the pictures to look nice but I’m still learning how to take good photos.

Datacomp XT keyboard by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

Kingsaver by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

Back of the Kingsaver by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

Kingsaver with Green SKCL Alps switches installed 2 (complicated linear green Alps) by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

Case top half 1 by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

PCB and foam liner by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

Kingsaver swapped to Blue Alps by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

Typing on the Kingsaver
For the first two or three weeks I owned this keyboard, I had linear green Alps in it. This was the second switch type in it? I think Akimbo got it with Black or Matias Quiet Alps in it and did the swap before he sold it to jdcarpe, who then sold it to me. I really like the linear green Alps. They are my new favorite linear switch and I’ll be swapping my Epsilon to something else as soon as my Zero has the harvest linear green Alps installed in it. The odd thing is that the keyboard was very pingy with these green Alps in it.  Akimbo and I thought it was the resonance from the spring return. Check out this typing video from Akimbo. It didn’t bother me too much though since I knew I was making the change to Blue Alps. As an aside I should say after swapping to Blue Alps, the keyboard doesn't have any ping.

Linear green Alps are easily the smoothest or second smoothest linear switch I’ve ever felt. The only other competition I see is hall effect switches. Linear green Alps. around the same weight as a 65g MX Black with a slightly smaller travel and higher actuation point. They’re incredibly smooth. Smoother than the lubed Blacks I have. It was amazing to play Diablo 3 on because they were so smoother and a nice light, but not too light, switch. I should also point out that I’m talking about the SKCL Linear Green Alps switch, **NOT** the KSB-C clicky green Alps clones found in the Ducky 1087XM keyboard. For what it’s worth, the Ducky 1087XM is the worst mechanical keyboard I’ve bought and those KSB-C clicky green Alps clones are horrible to me.

Complicated Blue Alps are my favorite Alps switch. They’re a little heavier than the SKCL Green Alps, are clicky, and feel springy as well as responsive. I find that the White Alps that is the closest analogue to this switch is heavier and a little sluggish. It’s also not as smooth. Perhaps that was dependent on the condition of the Focus FK2001 I had though. I also mention more about how I feel about the switches in the review I wrote about Akimbo’s Omnikey 101 modified to have Blue Alps. Check that out for more of my thoughts on the switch. I love them. They are the ultimate Alps switch for me. So earlier when I say my dream keyboard needs to have the “proper Alps switch” in them, this is what I meant and wanted.

As I mentioned before, the layout is very close to a modern ANSI winkeyless layout so there’s no adjustment to layouts for me. The board came with the “Lock”, or on my board, teal “Yellow” key mapped as the windows key. I love this and I’ll probably be doing this more.

Because of the rubber pads on the bottom and the weight of the keyboard, it is incredibly solid. I think that it’s on par with my KMAC in terms of feeling “solid” when typing and maybe even nicer than the SSK. But don’t just take my word for it. Check out this typing test video I made to show how the keyboard looks and sounds in action.

(The letter lego set I bought only had two “S” letters so I had to use a “5” for the “S” in Kingsaver)

Happily ever after with the Kingsaver
I’m very happy with this keyboard! It has been on my wishlist for more than a year; intensified when I tried it out at jdcarpe’s house during the Geekhack roadtrip dorkvader and I did last year. As requested by nuclearsandwich, I’ll be bringing the board to Keycon West 2014 in Mountain View, California. If you make it out to the meetup, come find me and I’ll let you try out the board for yourself!

If you would like more information or just have questions about the keyboard, please let me know and I’ll be happy to talk to you about it. And of course, any and all errors about the Wang company and Kingsaver are mine and mine alone. If you see something wrong, please let me know.

I also neglected to thanks a few people earlier. Thank you jdcarpe and AKIMbO for selling and building the keyboard to me. And thank you photekq for helping me with some of the research of this article.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:15:43 by CPTBadAss »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: Kingsaver with Complicated Blue Alps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 15:34:55 »
Excellent writeup! I really wish I could get my hands on one =(
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 15:36:34 »
TL;DR

:D

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 15:45:11 »
Great review of an awesome keyboard! I'm super jealous   :)

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 15:49:16 »
Lovely board, and nice to get it to your favourite switches even with the stresses and strains. Grats man.

(I shall use the faults highlighted in this post to justify a large discount when you sell it to me :))

-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 15:51:04 »
Props on having the most badass (hah) custom on geekhack.   :o

10/10 would type on.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 15:53:15 »
Congrats! Another well done review :]

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 16:00:32 »
Woot...we are blue alps kingsaver bros now!

Could you repair the F8 switch by soldering wires from the switch leads directly to the pcb trace?
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 21:58:38 »
Akimbo, I'm not sure the PCB can handle anymore soldering even if I figured or how to patch it. Plus the faults personalize it! XD

And thanks floor the kind words everyone. Jwaz already fishing for a chance to play with it at Keycon haha.

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 22:03:18 »
Great write up CPT. Really appreciated the video as well -- looks and sounds like an awesome board. Enjoy!
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline elton5354

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 22:05:00 »
Where can I get one?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 22:07:19 »
Good question. Not sure if they're available anymore. The last sets on kbd4mod aren't being sold I the States. Supposedly they have quality control issues.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 22:25:39 »
I am jealous CPTBadAss... jealous of your local coffee and your keyboard... you have everything I need!
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 23:20:32 »
This is a very good review not only about the history, construction but also about the building notes of this keyboard.
Thank you CPTBadAss  :thumb:
I like linear switches

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 11:56:20 »
Hm I realized last night I didn't talk a lot about the Datacomp keyboard I had. Anyone know a little about it?

Offline dante

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 12:01:31 »
This makes MX Blues sound like poo.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 12:37:29 »
Hm I realized last night I didn't talk a lot about the Datacomp keyboard I had. Anyone know a little about it?

I definitely want to know about boards that will help me in a blue Alps hunt. :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 12:50:00 »
Seems like your best bet for Blue Alps donor boards at the moment is the Leading Edge DC-2014. And it seems you can pick them up for around $75 if you get lucky.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 04:35:21 »
I just grabbed this Panasonic keyboard which should have blue Alps for about $60 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281344799643
And this seller sold me a Zenith with green Alps for ~$40 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201093705775

Or in other words, if you keep your eyes peeled, it is possible to snag blue/green Alps boards now and then without completely breaking the bank. There are also a few green Alps boards currently on ebay for ~$90–100, or this dirty Zenith with some broken keycaps for ~$60 shipped http://www.ebay.com/itm/321388144267, and there’s also at least one DC-2014 for ~$100 shipped http://www.ebay.com/itm/131194560901

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 04:47:33 »
Also, CPTBadAss: your keyboard here is fabulous! Great work! Looking forward to typing on it at Keycon.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 07:58:29 »
Also, CPTBadAss: your keyboard here is fabulous! Great work! Looking forward to typing on it at Keycon.

Thanks! You should bring some of your Alps goodies to Keycon to convince me to swap the Blue Alps switches to something else :P

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:23:29 »
Just saw this.  What a hot and sexy board.  Puts the Filco Zero to shame.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline badboybry9000

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 09:38:59 »
Those key caps look really nice with that aluminum case.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 22:07:48 »
My favorite part about the keycaps is the GL key and that the modifier row is sculpted differently and lower than the rest of the caps. It feels nice to hit the modifiers like CTRL and ALT.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 22:21:14 »
My favorite part about the keycaps is the GL key and that the modifier row is sculpted differently and lower than the rest of the caps. It feels nice to hit the modifiers like CTRL and ALT.

Don't forget the sweet ass f keys with f13 and f14!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline intelli78

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 23:26:07 »
Nice review, and good info about the KS's origins that I did not know.

Fix the broken key by shorting it to an appropriate solder joint in the same key column, dawg. I had to do this to my Kingsaver when I converted it to blue ALPS. Your PCB should be fine; you don't even need to desolder. Just heat up the existing solder joint and tack the jumper wire onto it.

Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 23:50:21 »
Great review!  Really enjoyed reading through it.  I'm curious about the sound of those switches.  You mentioned in your previous review of these switches that a heavier case with metal bottom was making the click less audible, and I wonder if it's even more true with the Kingsaver?  I couldn't hear any clicky sounds in your typing video, except maybe once when you were pressing on single switches at the end.  Sharp contrast with MX Blues or Greens where a click is difficult to miss.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 00:13:20 »
I couldn't hear any clicky sounds in your typing video, except maybe once when you were pressing on single switches at the end.  Sharp contrast with MX Blues or Greens where a click is difficult to miss.
The video is full of click sounds! Alps click just sounds different (fuller, richer) than MX blue/green click, because it’s a piece of metal snapping against plastic, instead of a piece of plastic snapping against plastic.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 00:20:48 »
Ah, I just was looking for the wrong click sound then!  It just sounds tactile and like bottoming out without any dampening, no clicky :(
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 01:34:42 »
Ah, I just was looking for the wrong click sound then!  It just sounds tactile and like bottoming out without any dampening, no clicky :(
If you listen very carefully, you can hear 2 distinct sounds for each keypress. But yeah, they have a somewhat similar pitch, unlike the tinny flimsy sound of MX blue. :p

If you get dampened alps switches, and install click leaves, you can make yourself switches with just the actuation-point click and not the bottom-out clack. But most people probably don’t mind having both sounds.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 06:10:39 »
I built a couple of these when they first came out, and it was a pleasure.

I think I remember getting some modern LEDs into the stock LED slot was a ***** to get it working properly.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 07:26:30 »
Great review!  Really enjoyed reading through it.  I'm curious about the sound of those switches.  You mentioned in your previous review of these switches that a heavier case with metal bottom was making the click less audible, and I wonder if it's even more true with the Kingsaver?  I couldn't hear any clicky sounds in your typing video, except maybe once when you were pressing on single switches at the end.  Sharp contrast with MX Blues or Greens where a click is difficult to miss.

The click is not as distinct as in say a buckling spring or Cherry switch. It is there though; a bit muffled by the foam and case. I can upload another video if you like. I thought the original video worked fine but I could be mistaken.

Fix the broken key by shorting it to an appropriate solder joint in the same key column, dawg. I had to do this to my Kingsaver when I converted it to blue ALPS. Your PCB should be fine; you don't even need to desolder. Just heat up the existing solder joint and tack the jumper wire onto it.

Show Image

I'm honestly unsure if the joints can take anymore soldering on my PCB. Thanks for the image but I think I'm just going to remap F8 when I figure out what's wrong with my Flip program.

I built a couple of these when they first came out, and it was a pleasure.

I think I remember getting some modern LEDs into the stock LED slot was a ***** to get it working properly.

Yeah it was going to be really complicated to get the LEDs to work. I would have had to swap internals then file down an LED to fit that slot in a Complicated Green Alps housing.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 21:44:30 »
Hm sorry for the double post but I ran into something weird. Seems like it wasn't grounded right or wasn't playing with USB 3.0 ports well. I frequently rest my hand on the part that says "Saver". I noticed this week that when I put my hand there, I'd feel discomfort like when you touch a power outlet or battery. It wasn't painful but just uncomfortable.

Today I took the board apart and swapped out the foam for drawer liner. And I also moved the USB Hub I was using from the 3.0 port in my mobo to the 2.0 port. Feels fine now. Not sure what the issue is but it seems to have been fixed now.

Just thought I'd share in case this happens to anyone else. Plus the drawer liner changes how the keyboard changes and it almost sounds "thockier" now :D.

Edit: I think it has more to do with the drawer liner vs foam now that I think about it. For a little while, I had it plugged into my monitor which has two USB 2.0 ports and I had the issue.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 August 2014, 22:00:29 by CPTBadAss »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 22:16:26 »
Hm sorry for the double post but I ran into something weird. Seems like it wasn't grounded right or wasn't playing with USB 3.0 ports well. I frequently rest my hand on the part that says "Saver". I noticed this week that when I put my hand there, I'd feel discomfort like when you touch a power outlet or battery. It wasn't painful but just uncomfortable.
This happens to me with aluminum Apple laptops in Mexico, using non-grounded power outlets in a room with terracotta floor tiles, especially if I’m barefoot.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 22:10:31 »
Hm, so after I thought I fixed it, I actually fixed it tonight. Here's what I added:

- A bit more drawer liner to sit below the little peninsula that juts out from the PCB where the USB port is
- Some drawer liner that fit on top of the plate. It's currently covering the X and then covering a bit of the side of the bottom half of case. Then I put the top half of the case back on.

Works. I'm happy now. Kingsaver case touching is now scary.

What I did try before this was adding a bit of jumper from the case to beneath my EDPM mat. Didn't work.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:14:16 »
Just as an FYI, I updated the review to reflect how to program this keyboard. Thanks to nubbinator for the help.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:18:58 »
I'm too jelly of this keyboard to comment.  If only there was a way to get a set of olivetti alps keys so I could swap my duck over.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:22:59 »
TJ you could always try and print some of those Alps/MX adapters that Mr. Interface created and see if they don't snap. I heard he's working on a V2 which should be sturdier.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:25:34 »
Wow, now if I had an Alps board.. This would be the ideal look. That layout is great Mr. Badass!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:37:03 »
TJ you could always try and print some of those Alps/MX adapters that Mr. Interface created and see if they don't snap. I heard he's working on a V2 which should be sturdier.

Or I could try to run a GB for the non stabilized keys through SP since they do alps stuff and just keep mods as MX.  Or I could stop lusting after non topper boards and wait until I can buy two novatouches and rule.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:39:55 »
Or I could try to run a GB for the non stabilized keys through SP since they do alps stuff

I like this idea. ;)