Author Topic: [IC] Clicky Zealio with a twist  (Read 45361 times)

Offline ika

Re: [IC] Clicky Zealio with a twist
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 13:14:23 »
I like the sound of Celeste Click.

EDIT: nvm 3K wins.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 13:16:15 »
Hey guys, thanks for the interest thus far.

So far, the colour I have on mind is this:

Show Image

I'm not sure what to call it though...Aqua Zealios? Celeste Zealios (sounds too long)?

Will be answering some of the above Qs

Mint Bubble Gum?

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 13:42:55 »
I have also been experimenting with these!
I can confirm the sound is quite nice.
If you can get a better housing, and make keys fit more snug on these...
I am definitely in.
or ever better yet, make a few switch types with different frequencies on clicks,
IE: color A is high pitch and crisp, and color B has a more low and deep click sound.

as much as I enjoy a clicking keyboard, there are only so many options readily available on the market.
cherry for example there is only one sound for click switches.

maybe in the future, there is a small market for people who want their keyboard clicking to sound a specific way...
and once again i'm rambling on, i'l stop now.

Ah, so you're one of the few that ordered the aristotles. The housing will use the transparent ones (or milky bottom for factory production). Housing is a lot better than the original Aristotle. The stem cross will be widened a tiny bit like current gen Zealios.

Regarding the pitches and frequencies, I don't think that's feasible at this moment, as it would require different moulds. :( Keycap thickness and material already make quite an impact on the click sound.

I'd like to try them. Maybe with very heavy spring

Will most likely be manufactured with my current line of 62(maybe)/65/67g springs.

I'd like the switch to be louder. I'd also like it to be more tactile than cherry.

The problem is many cherry/gateron/etc click switches feel clunky when using them at times.

This stem inside a Zealio housing sounds crisper, louder, and more tactile than current MX clicky switch offerings.

Interested:

• Inject the stem sliders with a nice new plastic color.
  • Make the fit of stems and caps tighter.
  • Make the housing tighter.
  • Make the bottom more heat resistant even if they were not transparent.
  • Offer a selection of spring modules.
  • Keep the cost competitive.
Note: I have found that Gaterons, including Zealios, bottoms have smaller holes for the LEDs that do not allow dip sockets to pass through, could you fix that in this run?

Plastic slider colour has been posted below.
Stem cross will use same thickness as current Zealios.
Top & bottom housing for Zealios are quite tight already.
Heat resistant bottom would be reserved for factory wave soldering editions. I've already discussed the chattering issue, and Gateron have already studied the issue and will be addressing it for R2.
Springs will most likely remain at the current "ergo" offerings.
Pricing would most likely be the same as R1 Zealios.
I'm not too sure what you mean about the dip sockets. I've inserted SIP sockets (without the black housing) into Zealios and they fit fine [some ppl have said that they can even include the black housing]. Mind passing on a picture? 

Count me in!

Speaking of the ALPS comparison, how clacky are they going to be? Because Matias clickly switches had so much clack that it went from enjoyable to plain annoying real quick.

Also curious if it's possible to reproduce that shallow clicky feel of a buckling spring keyboard

I'll try to get sound recordings soon. I don't have any Matias switches laying around though. :(

It's intriguing. I'd be interested pending 1) comparison videos to, ideally, MX blue and some type of Alps switch (preferably Matias QC and click), and 2) some kind of info on how the switch actuates, and 3) price.

EDIT: found a typing vid of a Chicony 5191 and it sounds really interesting, count me in if they're not too expensive!

Will make a video/sound recording hopefully soon. Price will most likely be the same as R1 Zealios.

The chicony video shouldn't be used to compare to these switches as the sound is completely different. Plain Aristotles also feel nothing like this particular switch.

haven't had a chance to put my purples on a board yet but i'm definitely interested in your version of the white/Aristotle switch. As far as i know mx white is both clicky and tactile correct?

MX Whites are supposed to have a muted click. Yes, they are tactile and clicky (as are all clicky switch offerings)
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 13:58:41 »
Zeal, can you adjust the bottom housing so it has, like cherry, the little cut to fit SMD leds?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:00:39 »
Zeal, can you adjust the bottom housing so it has, like cherry, the little cut to fit SMD leds?

Adding that would mean no SIP sockets, or anything to hold the LED legs "straight". My transparent bottom housing mould also can't add that (you can only add more holes to a mould, making something bigger, but can't remove plastic which requires metal in place of it). I think Gateron has a milky bottom one that uses SMD holes though...

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:05:00 »
I'm in.

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:06:17 »
Tealios would be hella dope. I'd be in for a hundred or so.

Offline ika

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:12:52 »

Adding that would mean no SIP sockets, or anything to hold the LED legs "straight". My transparent bottom housing mould also can't add that (you can only add more holes to a mould, making something bigger, but can't remove plastic which requires metal in place of it). I think Gateron has a milky bottom one that uses SMD holes though...

AFAIK Gateron does - for Massdrop's Team Wolf drop, they included Gateron switches that were compatible with SMD RGB resistors.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/team-wolf-swappable-switch-mechanical-keyboard

Not sure how compatible they are with regular LEDs, though, or even what the SMD compatible portion looks like.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:14:26 »
I do not know how to put it, but this pictures shows the sip sockets in a Cherry bottom, the same that do not fit inside the holes of a Zealio bottom.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:21:07 »

AFAIK Gateron does - for Massdrop's Team Wolf drop, they included Gateron switches that were compatible with SMD RGB resistors.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/team-wolf-swappable-switch-mechanical-keyboard

Not sure how compatible they are with regular LEDs, though, or even what the SMD compatible portion looks like.

Yeah, I've seen that post. Unsure what it looks like at the bottom, or how it would affect the structural integrity of the switch when pulling out of a plate.

I do not know how to put it, but this pictures shows the sip sockets in a Cherry bottom, the same that do not fit inside the holes of a Zealio bottom.

Show Image

From your picture, it looks like the legs are super fat for your SIP sockets...The SIPs I sell look like this (top one) and they fit and even have wiggle room.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:35:33 »
I would just like to say thank you to zeal for getting this going, I am very excited.
I will make a comparison video later today for those who want to hear the difference.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 15:35:37 »

Show Image

I agree with Zeal, pretty sure it has something to do with the sip sockets you're using. I have not experienced any problems with my Zealios and I have sip-socketed every board I've ever built. I found some options on Ebay that are in the U.S. and come faster if you're in a hurry but the benefit of Zeal's is that they come without the black housing. Also having the slightly longer legs is bonus as well. :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 15:37:26 »
I've built a board with these. They're pretty nice, but definitely a little different from cherry MX.

They take a little getting used to. Mostly because I'm so used to cherry/gateron blue and these don't feel anything like it. Once you get used to it it's pretty nice.

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 16:15:30 »
I'd definitely be interested in trying these out.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 16:17:32 »
Definitely want some Tealios action :)
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 16:47:22 »

Show Image

I'm not sure what to call it though...Aqua Zealios? Celeste Zealios (sounds too long)?

I really like the teal colors, the name Tealios is perfect. I'm sure you'd prefer to keep you name in it for branding so maybe Teal Zealios but Tealios for short. :D

Those samples look like really good pieces of candy. :p

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 16:57:13 »
Potentially interested.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 16:58:27 »

Show Image

I really like the teal colors, the name Tealios is perfect. I'm sure you'd prefer to keep you name in it for branding so maybe Teal Zealios but Tealios for short. :D

Gotta agree with Steez, "Teal Zealios" is a great because it lends itself to a colloquial name. Also, I'm 100% interested. Clicky switches are the best and I'll happily rock a full board of Tealios (I mean, I probably will. We'll see how much I like them compared to MX Milk).  :thumb:

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:00:59 »

Show Image

idk about you guys, but teal to me reminds me of:

And I'm trying to expand on the "Zealio" line. :(

Whereas the colour I've shown seems to be a mix of Celeste + Tiffany blue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_cyan

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:10:34 »
The original iMac was in a blue-green color and it was called Bondi Blue. In fact, wikipedia redirects "bondi blue" to the page you just posted.

Just a thought.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:12:30 »
I like the tactile position is higher than Cherry. Interested :D

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:15:18 »
I vote for Sifo soul pink or Sifo spirit blue.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:19:32 »
I'm definitely interested!!! Absolutely. Any chance of getting zealio style locking switches too? I'd love it if that was doable. I would buy a bunch of locks too!

I'm down for one or two hundred, assuming they're going to cost a similar amount to the purple/clear zealios.

I forsee a new switch maker in the next few years, Zeal!!! ;)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:21:05 »

Show Image

Show Image

Hmmm, teal is definitely darker than what you're trying use. Definitely going to be trickier to come up with a name using Celeste or Tiffany Blue. Could always just go generic and call it Cyan Zealios just like the current Purple Zealios.

Offline E3E

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 18:04:58 »

Show Image

Show Image

Hmmm, teal is definitely darker than what you're trying use. Definitely going to be trickier to come up with a name using Celeste or Tiffany Blue. Could always just go generic and call it Cyan Zealios just like the current Purple Zealios.

Zealestios, yo!

:P

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 18:14:06 »
Since Gateron Yellows aren't as popular as they should be, you should create your own with a bolder yellow and call 'em Banana Zeals.

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 18:33:06 »
If I could put Cyan Zealios in my Dolch PAC with a cyan-backlit Leeku PCB my life would be complete.

Totally in for a bunch of these switches no matter what color the stem ends up being. Still super happy with my 65g Purple Zealios so I'm excited for these!  :D
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 19:12:50 »
Since Gateron Yellows aren't as popular as they should be, you should create your own with a bolder yellow and call 'em Banana Zeals.

+1 for yellows ;]~~~ though thats my fav color  :rolleyes: :p
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 19:14:24 »
I would be interested!

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 19:29:01 »
Aqua is where it's at bro.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 20:00:47 »

Show Image

Show Image

Call them tzealios.  You know, teal, zeal, and a dash of tzar.

Also, it would be awesome to have two different colored parts.

Offline lukynumbrkevin

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 20:30:18 »
That sounds like something I might be interested in! Cool idea!
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 December 2015, 22:33:28 by lukynumbrkevin »
CM Storm Stealth MX Blues w/ Sci-Fi Caps | WASD Code MX Browns | Leopold FC 210TP MX Reds | Ortho Planck on the way, MX Clears

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 20:57:36 »
I was hesitant, then I read 62g and 67g variations...yea, I will buy a few. :)

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 21:09:42 »
Interested! I would want to swap out these Gateron Blacks for a small board and clicky ones for my tkl :D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 22:01:25 »
Pics/vid in progress...

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 22:16:05 »
You know you da man, right Zeal?  :cool:
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 22:55:20 »
The original iMac was in a blue-green color and it was called Bondi Blue. In fact, wikipedia redirects "bondi blue" to the page you just posted.

Just a thought.

That's a tasty bit of trivia. Bondi Zealios is a bit inelegant though...

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 00:21:26 »
Pictures complete, editing/cropping

In the meantime, here's a quick ms paint job~

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 00:57:10 »
Pic dump. Every pic in here is a macro shot, enlarge to your heart's content.

Slider within a slider. Sliderception?

Dat bump doe. Just imagine a way more tactile MX Blue!

Due to the Aristotle slider design, I had to level it with some business cards :P. Here you can see the tactile bump is larger and higher than those of MX Blues.

MX Blue's click slider goes on the outside. Aristotles on the inside.

Sound comparison (that moment when you raise iso to 2000 for a vid :( ):

"Esc", "Q", "A" are Gateron Greens with blue springs
"1", "W", "S", "X" are Gateron Blues with clear tops
"2", "3", "4", "5", "E", "R", "T", "Y", "D", "F", "G", "H", "C", "V", "B", "N" are 65g Aristotle Zealios
"6", "7", "8", "9" are a quieter batch of MX Blues
"U", "I", "O", "P", "J", "K", "L", ";", "M", ",", ".", "/" are a clicky batch of MX Blues.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2015, 01:03:25 by Zeal »

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 02:12:00 »

Show Image

Slider within a slider. Sliderception?
Show Image

Show Image

Dat bump doe. Just imagine a way more tactile MX Blue!
Show Image

Show Image

Due to the Aristotle slider design, I had to level it with some business cards :P. Here you can see the tactile bump is larger and higher than those of MX Blues.
Show Image

MX Blue's click slider goes on the outside. Aristotles on the inside.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Sound comparison (that moment when you raise iso to 2000 for a vid :( ):

"2", "3", "4", "5", "E", "R", "T", "Y", "D", "F", "G", "H", "C", "V", "B", "N" are 65g Aristotle Zealios
"U", "I", "O", "P", "J", "K", "L", ";", "M", ",", ".", "/" are a clicky batch of MX Blues.

wooooow THE SOUND REALLY CRISP!  :p
i remember the sound when i cut my nail!  :p

i want ittttt.....!!!

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 05:19:06 »

That tactile bump is great! How do they compare to zealios/clears bump?

Btw, didnt even know gateron greens were a thing.

Offline qwack

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 08:14:25 »
The bump is so thin, is there not a possibility for it to break or wear off?

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 08:47:50 »
For anyone interested whether the usual Gateron housings will fit in with SMD LEDs, I did a short video with Zealios last week:

In short it works just fine, both with Cherry and Gateron, although that hotswappable board manual recommends using switches with thinner legs

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 08:52:34 »
For anyone interested whether the usual Gateron housings will fit in with SMD LEDs, I did a short video with Zealios last week:

In short it works just fine, both with Cherry and Gateron, although that hotswappable board manual recommends using switches with thinner legs

Interesting keyboard, I remember a GB for one.

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 09:07:52 »

Interesting keyboard, I remember a GB for one.

yup, it's the same keyboard from that GB!

Also sorry for the offtopic, but if anyone wants to swap in Zealio stems into Outemu switches, please don't. Turns out Outemus have marginally wider sliders which makes Zealios feel sticky all around :/

Offline harlw

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 10:13:04 »
Definitely interested - i sure love the actuation point and tactile bump of Matias Quiets so anything that gets me closer to that sounds like a win.

*throws wallet at Zeal*
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline wilarseny

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 10:18:58 »
Interesting. The sound is not so different to me, though noticeableably not quite the same as blues - crisper but ultimately same pitch, etc. Blues started grating on me because they pinged with PBT caps and a metal plate - would be nice if these could avoid that.

I'd also really love to see a 78g or 85g option. I've been slowly working on putting 78g springs in some tactile zealios and am liking the feel so far.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 10:52:00 »
Interesting. The sound is not so different to me, though noticeableably not quite the same as blues - crisper but ultimately same pitch, etc. Blues started grating on me because they pinged with PBT caps and a metal plate - would be nice if these could avoid that.

I'd also really love to see a 78g or 85g option. I've been slowly working on putting 78g springs in some tactile zealios and am liking the feel so far.

Definitely harder to record the clicks off the built in mic on my camera. They do sound different so I'll try and get a better recording of it in a few days.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 12:03:12 »
I would love some clicky switches that don't have the nasty cheap feeling of blues. I think a lot of what contributes to this is the wobble of the stem, which contributes to a flimsy feeling.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 12:09:22 »
10/10 would buy already.  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)