Author Topic: [IC] Helix Split Ortho Keyboard Kits - EU only  (Read 3713 times)

Offline hellsjanitor

[IC] Helix Split Ortho Keyboard Kits - EU only
« on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 10:12:32 »
The Helix is an open source, split, 4/5 row ortholinear keyboard that I think many here will be familiar with. I am interested in bringing a small (46 kit) GB to the EU. I am keeping this small due to my inexperience and to make sure that nothing gets out of hand.

I am heading off this weekend to cut some cases and need an idea of ratios for who wants a 4 row and who wants a 5 row case.

Once I've done this I'll be taking orders and purchasing parts next week!

Github with more details and a build guide:

https://github.com/MakotoKurauchi/helix

One Kit would contain:

PCB (5th row designed to be broken off on arrival if you wish) x1
Pro Micro x1
TRRS Female Socket x1
Tactile Switch x1
12 Pin headers (Low profile sockets £1 extra) x2
Clear Display Cover Plate x1
M2 Spacer 8mm x2
M2 Screw 3mm x14
M2 Low Profile Screw 5mm x2
Rubber Bump-Ons x6
SM Diodes x32
OLED Module x1
4-Pin Socket x1
4-Pin Header x1
M2 Spacer 4mm x6 (For low-profile switches)
M2 Spacer 7mm x6 (For MX-style switches)

With a choice of:

WS2812B Strip, 6 LEDs x1 (For underglow)
OR
SK6812mini x32 (For per key RGB backlight)
OR
No LEDs

and

Plate Set (Clear Acrylic, 4 rows) x1
OR
Plate Set (Clear Acrylic, 5 rows) x1

The list above is for one half. To build both halves, you will need two sets of these parts!
You would also still need switches, keycaps, a micro USB cable and a TRRS/3.5mm cable.

Price has been dropped and is now estimated at £25 per kit (£50 per keeb), with £5 UK shipping, £10 EU. An extra £1 for LEDs and an extra £1 for low profile sockets for your pro micro (OLED comes with socket no matter what).

Interest Form: https://goo.gl/forms/QzgKqS9NF5PoXS7E2
Link to r/mechmarket post: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/ailldp/ic_ic_no2_helix_split_ortho_keyboard_kits_eu_only/

Thanks for taking a look!
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 January 2019, 10:14:38 by hellsjanitor »

Offline raptorzoz

Re: [IC] Helix Split Ortho Keyboard Kits - EU only
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 10:32:35 »
at the new lowered price I am definitely interested, is there any possibility you could do an EU buy for some low profile switches?

Offline vosechu

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 11:13:06 »
Good luck on your first GB! Sounds like you have the right ideas already!

Stick to your plan, say no to at least half your feedback and emphatic yes to those ideas which legitimately make the gb stronger or more cohesive (as opposed to those that just make it different)

Set an alarm to send out updates, even if you have literally nothing to say.

Offline hellsjanitor

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 11:51:42 »
at the new lowered price I am definitely interested, is there any possibility you could do an EU buy for some low profile switches?

Nope! Hoping to keep as few moving parts as possible and I don't want to deal with having to purchase, sort and send out everyone's personalised orders of switches, sorry!

Stick to your plan, say no to at least half your feedback and emphatic yes to those ideas which legitimately make the gb stronger or more cohesive (as opposed to those that just make it different)

Thanks for the support! Yeah I have some hard lines on feedback, I won't be assembling, sales will be 100% of EU unless I have some I can't sell etc. I've already included a low profile sockets option on someone's suggestion as breaking the micro USB port off a pro micro is a huge headache, so I'm definitely up for listening to sensible suggestions.

Weekly updates was the plan on a mailing list even with no news, good to see I'm on the same page as people here.

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 14:43:44 »
[/quote

Nope! Hoping to keep as few moving parts as possible and I don't want to deal with having to purchase, sort and send out everyone's personalised orders of switches, sorry!

Thanks for the support! Yeah I have some hard lines on feedback, I won't be assembling, sales will be 100% of EU unless I have some I can't sell etc. I've already included a low profile sockets option on someone's suggestion as breaking the micro USB port off a pro micro is a huge headache, so I'm definitely up for listening to sensible suggestions.

Weekly updates was the plan on a mailing list even with no news, good to see I'm on the same page as people here.

That's fine, still interested  ;D

Offline kindakeyboards

• hi! im Milo and i make keyboards.
    • kinda.be
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 04:23:17 »
very interested actually if there are any left, how much will a kit be?

Offline jmg123

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 09:05:04 »
Are there going to be 46kits or 46 halves available?

Offline hellsjanitor

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 19:16:41 »
very interested actually if there are any left, how much will a kit be?

I haven’t started taking orders yet, but I’m looking at £25 per half so £50 + shipping per keyboard. Go ahead and fill out the IC if you haven’t already - I’ll email you when I’m ready to start taking orders.

Are there going to be 46kits or 46 halves available?

46 halves.