Author Topic: [IC] SA Unicorn Treats  (Read 7089 times)

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
[IC] SA Unicorn Treats
« on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 19:55:24 »

Hello Everyone!

Name: Unicorn Treats
Manufacturer: Signature Plastics (I am set on this)
Profile: SA - 112344 rows (on the fence between 112343 and 112344)
Keycaps: Double Shot ABS Glossy with Deep Dish Homing Type (I am set on this)
Colors: (Set on them but depending on the feedback, I might adjust the specific shades slightly)
    Keycaps:
        Alphanumirec - SP RCS
        Mods - SP RCJ
        Accents - SP RCR
    Legends:
        Alphanumeric - SP RDE
        Mods - SP RDE

Font: Roboto
Legends Placement:
   ModsCenter
    Alphanumeric: Top Left

I have contacted SP to ask if they can do custom colors, fonts and lettering placements on SA Double Shot and am waiting for an answer.

After feedback from @coffeeshopcoder I am starting to like #ffebff more for the alphanumeric keys and getting rid of SP RCS in favor of #ffebff.
What do you think?

Also (again his idea), I am thinking of reversing the accent keys (SP RDE becoming the key color and SP RCR becoming the legend color), while offering the unreversed in some form of child deal. What do you think?

I haven't yet decided on specific child deals. I know, however, that if I go with 112344 rows, I want to provide 112343 row and vice versa.
I'd like to provide different sizes mod keys and split spacebars so the set can fit on most keyboards.

All feedback is greatly appreciated and encouraged!
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 February 2019, 23:59:58 by ifohancroft »
I like to make, break & modify stuff via a soldering iron, code or both.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
Re: [IC] SA Unicorn Treats
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 20:20:46 »
I remember seeing this set on Reddit. i definitely hope it becomes a reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 20:33:31 »

Yeah! I did post a Feedback thread there, before posting an Interest Check  on here.
Which reminds me - you were going to send me an example of what a universal 40s kit is so I can consider it for the child deals.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 February 2019, 20:39:15 by ifohancroft »

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 21:03:19 »
First off I love this. I have been looking for a proper pink/purple combo in SA . Missed Budapest and didn’t like bubble. 

This set ticks all the right boxes (sp, double shot, colors).

Questions

Legends:
alpha  numeric legends on the top left. Can SP do this with double shot? I honestly prefer center placement, but this is not a deal breaker for me. I just did not know that sp could do top left double shot legends for sp SA.

Colors :

RCS is nice for alphas, but would you consider going lighter with custom color ?

Offline vosechu

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 21:07:21 »
alpha  numeric legends on the top left. Can SP do this with double shot? I honestly prefer center placement, but this is not a deal breaker for me. I just did not know that sp could do top left double shot legends for sp SA.

I don’t believe that they can. Same for the font. My understanding is that sp does centered, Gorton font for all double shot abs. If you want something else, it’s DSA pbt dye-sub (though I think they’ve been working on sa pbt dye sub)

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 21:15:24 »
First off I love this. I have been looking for a proper pink/purple combo in SA . Missed Budapest and didn’t like bubble. 

This set ticks all the right boxes (sp, double shot, colors).

Questions

Legends:

Colors :

RCS is nice for alphas, but would you consider going lighter with custom color ?

Thank you! I'm happy to hear that! I have been wanting to do something with pink pastel-ish colors for a while now.
I prefer center placement too, but thought I'd change it up a bit and do different placements for mods and alphanumeric to give it some dynamic.
To be honest, I have no idea if SP can do top left double shot on SA. I will contact them right now and ask them about it.

I am definitely willing to try with a lighter custom color for the alphas and see how it looks then we can all vote on it). Do you have a specific color in mind?

I don’t believe that they can. Same for the font. My understanding is that sp does centered, Gorton font for all double shot abs. If you want something else, it’s DSA pbt dye-sub (though I think they’ve been working on sa pbt dye sub)

I will ask them. Thanks for letting me know that this may be an issue.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 February 2019, 00:37:55 by ifohancroft »

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
[IC] SA Unicorn Treats
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 21:48:42 »

Yeah! I did post a Feedback thread there, before posting an Interest Check  on here.
Which reminds me - you were going to send me an example of what a universal 40s kit is so I can consider it for the child deals.
Yes & whoa, know the user name was familiar, you ran RMK's secret santa....NICE. Just PM'ed you the best universal 40 kit that I am aware of.

« Last Edit: Sat, 16 February 2019, 21:50:57 by William_S_Jones »

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 21:51:26 »

Yes & whoa, know the user name was familiar, you ran RMK's secret sant....NICE.

Yeah! I did. :D
Your name was very familiar to me as well and I thought it was from the r/MK SS but I wasn't sure.
Thank you very much! Let me check it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 February 2019, 21:54:51 by ifohancroft »

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 22:38:56 »

I am definitely willing to try with a lighter custom color for the alphas and see how it looks then we can all vote on it). Do you have a specific color in mind?

RGB (255,235,255)
https://rgbcolorcode.com/color/FFEBFF - Maybe even 255,240,255 - Its super super light.
Barely pink - but my reasoning is that on SP SA, the tall caps will look darker and more saturated on the sides when in a cluster on the board . This would give the legends some punch with the legend color.
Here is a quick mockup

Aslo tried inverting the accemts
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 February 2019, 22:52:54 by coffeeshopcoder »

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 23:19:47 »

RGB (255,235,255)
https://rgbcolorcode.com/color/FFEBFF - Maybe even 255,240,255 - Its super super light.
Barely pink - but my reasoning is that on SP SA, the tall caps will look darker and more saturated on the sides when in a cluster on the board . This would give the legends some punch with the legend color.
Here is a quick mockup

Show Image

Aslo tried inverting the accemts
Show Image

I do like 255,240,255 and FFEBFF. Which one is the one used in the mockups?
Hm.. I really do like the inverted accents. Thank you! I may used them as accents. Keep the initial ones as some sort of a novelty pack maybe?
Also, how do you feel about https://rgbcolorcode.com/color/D8A6C7 for the alphanumeric?

Would you mind if I use your mockups in the original post to get more people's opinion as well?

P.S. Your mockups are really starting to grow on me and I am starting to like the suggest alphanumeric keys color more and more. Even more than the initial idea.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 February 2019, 23:27:23 by ifohancroft »

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 23:39:08 »
I think I used #FFEBFF (255,235,255) for the mockups.
Absolutely no issues in using the mockups, but I'd appreciate it if you share some design credit if these colors gets more support. I have no financial interest whatsoever.

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 23:44:23 »
Thank you!

Yeah, I will definitely credit you! How would you like to be credited? Design help: coffeeshopcoder in the description (by the description, I mean not just here but in the group buys and wherever the set is being sold)? or feel free to suggest how you'd like it

Updated the original post.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 February 2019, 23:57:16 by ifohancroft »

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 05:57:27 »
Wow. Cool color combination.  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 07:11:58 »
Wow. Cool color combination.  :thumb: :thumb:

Thank you!

Offline V. Vega

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 07:28:59 »
I love this!

I'm for sure in favor of making lighter pink alphas as long as they're not so light they verge on creamy white. I attached a pic of my SA Valentine keys, which are RCS, on my white desk with some natural lighting so you can see how it looks grouped.

I also personally don't care for the inverted darker mods. I think the lighter pastels suit a unicorn theme more and if you wanted to add darker accents that they should be a child kit rather than the other way around.

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 08:04:42 »
I love this!

I'm for sure in favor of making lighter pink alphas as long as they're not so light they verge on creamy white. I attached a pic of my SA Valentine keys, which are RCS, on my white desk with some natural lighting so you can see how it looks grouped.

I also personally don't care for the inverted darker mods. I think the lighter pastels suit a unicorn theme more and if you wanted to add darker accents that they should be a child kit rather than the other way around.

Thank you! You bring a lot of valid points!

Offline CarlQs

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 09:56:55 »
Im interested!

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 13:07:48 »
Thank you!

Yeah, I will definitely credit you! How would you like to be credited? Design help: coffeeshopcoder in the description (by the description, I mean not just here but in the group buys and wherever the set is being sold)? or feel free to suggest how you'd like it

Updated the original post.

Sure that works !

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 13:09:53 »
I love this!

These aren't as dark as I thought they would be. A tad lighter might be nicer, but these look damn good !

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 15:47:27 »
very grand budapest of you

consider my interest registered
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 16:45:20 »
I'm very happy to hear that!

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 04:02:26 »
Is anyone from SP here? I can't seem to get them to reply to my inquiry about the custom font and its placement and custom keycaps color.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 05:27:27 »
Is anyone from SP here? I can't seem to get them to reply to my inquiry about the custom font and its placement and custom keycaps color.
Yes - SMKNGNZ is the SP rep and he logged on yesterday so should respond.  Click here to send a PM :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 02:49:43 »
Unfortunately, I have had some setbacks and things happening that prevented me from getting further with this interest check sooner.

Is anyone still interested in this set happening?

Offline eas

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 12:46:32 »
Unfortunately, I have had some setbacks and things happening that prevented me from getting further with this interest check sooner.

Would you consider KAM and running the GB with NovelKeys?

Maybe it would take a couple years to get but that's nothing new.
Thanks

Offline ifohancroft

• root
    • IFo Hancroft
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 08:47:29 »

Would you consider KAM and running the GB with NovelKeys?

Maybe it would take a couple years to get but that's nothing new.
Thanks

I am not sure I can give you a straight answer as I am not sure what's my view on the topic, so here's my thought process. Hopefully it helps to answer your question.

It would be helpful if someone knows and can answer the following questions for me:

On doing it in the KAM profile:

1. I wasn't able to find much information about the KAM profile (besides the fact that it's the flat version of the KAT profile).

1.1 Who manufactures it?
1.2 What kind of plastics can it be done in?
1.3 Can it be done as a double shot?

2. I am not sure how I feel about releasing a set in anything other than SA (Nothing against the other profiles, SA just so happens to be my set of choice for personal use. Although I have to admit I haven't tried profiles other than OEM, Cherry and SA. I'd like to one day try all the other profiles thoug), on the other hand though, I am not making this set for me as I am not into pink keycaps sets.

3. If a profile can't be made in double-shot ABS that's a no-go for me for releasing a set in that profile, with the profile being the main one for the set.

Regarding going with Novelkeys for the group buy:

1. I love Novelkeys so obviously I'd love to work with them. How can I get in-touch with them to discuss details so I can make a more educated decision on who to go with for the group buy?
2. I think it's a little early to think about who'd be running the group buy though.
3. I was thinking about going on with Drop but refer back to point #2
4. I'd like to be able to choose a vendor that can cover the whole world by themselves so I don't have to choose multiple proxies. Novelkeys seems to have international shipping (I mean heck, they ship to me in Bulgaria) but often times I've seen sets being sold on Novelkeys using other proxies for Europe and Asia.
4.1 How would people feel if I go with just Novelkeys?
4.2 Are Novelkeys themselves willing to do that?
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 March 2020, 20:46:23 by ifohancroft »