Author Topic: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?  (Read 118865 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 19:24:42 »
Okay, can anyone explain why, through social media, that I would want to share or Rate and Review the camera app in Win10? Or any other built in app?

I would say it's a generic thing that all apps get, but they don't. Regardless, who even thought doing that from the start menu was a good idea? Who in their right minds looked at the start menu and though "I really want to post that on Facebook!" Sometimes the disconnect between MS (and marketers for that matter) and people just blows my mind.

"Look, we can be social, too!!"

Gekhk,  the wurld of shut-ins..

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 00:59:49 »
Okay, can anyone explain why, through social media, that I would want to share or Rate and Review the camera app in Win10? Or any other built in app?

I would say it's a generic thing that all apps get, but they don't. Regardless, who even thought doing that from the start menu was a good idea? Who in their right minds looked at the start menu and though "I really want to post that on Facebook!" Sometimes the disconnect between MS (and marketers for that matter) and people just blows my mind.

"Look, we can be social, too!!"
(Attachment Link)

I'd say in support of their mobile platforms, but that's dead and buried. At this point, probably denial and wishful thinking.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #252 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 01:12:03 »
HECK no. I value my privacy.

I don't want my data mined and transferred to a third party without my prior knowledge.

Have I got some news for you!...

Go on...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #253 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 07:32:33 »

I don't want my data mined and transferred to a third party without my prior knowledge.

Have I got some news for you!

Go on ....

Don't worry, be happy!
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #254 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 08:13:44 »
Microsoft, Nvidia, Realtek, and more all with bad updates this week. Tis the season for rollbacks I guess.

With these three in particular, I'm just at the point of "If it works fine why update it?". Not sure how old my Realtek driver is, but Nvidia is still on 431.60 since it's the most stable driver to date.

I'm seriously not sure what I'll do when I get around to building a new system and put together a Windows 10 drive for DRM gaming at this point. It'll be one of those things I poke with a stick to make sure it won't explode every time I boot it, hahaha.

I haven't had any problems with drivers in recent memory, across many devices, keeping most of them fairy cutting edge with SDIO. The most recent Nvidia hotfix actually finally seems to have fixed all of the occasional freezing issues I was having in RDR2.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #255 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 18:21:22 »

Go on...

You'd have to sign up for a social media account to see part of whats up. I never had any (or even put personal social info on the net) until a few years back, but during sign up, the site (Facebook) already had general information on me (no surprise) and it's guesses about my hobbies was alarmingly accurate.

Microsoft, Nvidia, Realtek, and more all with bad updates this week. Tis the season for rollbacks I guess.

With these three in particular, I'm just at the point of "If it works fine why update it?". Not sure how old my Realtek driver is, but Nvidia is still on 431.60 since it's the most stable driver to date.

I'm seriously not sure what I'll do when I get around to building a new system and put together a Windows 10 drive for DRM gaming at this point. It'll be one of those things I poke with a stick to make sure it won't explode every time I boot it, hahaha.

I haven't had any problems with drivers in recent memory, across many devices, keeping most of them fairy cutting edge with SDIO. The most recent Nvidia hotfix actually finally seems to have fixed all of the occasional freezing issues I was having in RDR2.

Which driver release? I haven't looked into stability testing for the past few months.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #256 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 07:47:26 »
Which driver release? I haven't looked into stability testing for the past few months.

442.37 I think. RDR2 would arbitrarily freeze prior to this update, sometimes within 5 minutes of launching the game, with both a 980m and 1070. I haven't had a single freeze since.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #257 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 12:16:07 »

Go on...

You'd have to sign up for a social media account to see part of whats up. I never had any (or even put personal social info on the net) until a few years back, but during sign up, the site (Facebook) already had general information on me (no surprise) and it's guesses about my hobbies was alarmingly accurate.

They probably had the information from the shadow profile they create of you. Facebook creates shadow profiles for people who don't have accounts. They're one of the biggest violators of privacy on the internet, if not the biggest. Google also collects way more data than is required, and with Windows 10 being partly in the cloud they collect and store a lot of info they don't need.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #258 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 17:14:58 »
Facebook probably is the worst because they cover so many platforms and websites and what they log, I have them blocked in multiple ways on everything, they still sneak in.  Google is a close second and I hope we have a change in administration before it reaches conclusion so it can be stopped (linking you to your financials/credit). Doubleclick, now owned by Google tried this before and was shot down, which is why Google now owns them but this is ultimately their goal. Which is why Google is blocked as much as possible as well.

Despite all this, even they are not as brazen as MS and Win10, they basically took it to it's logical conclusion. If it could be logged and/or sent to them, it does. The only reason it now(!) lacks a keylogger is because of France. It still tracks everything clear down to network ID and passwords it's just not logging keystrokes unless you type them into a search field.

Facebook and Google may know you your hobbies, your friends and your financial bracket but MS knows where the bodies are buried.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #259 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 17:28:37 »
They probably had the information from the shadow profile they create of you. Facebook creates shadow profiles for people who don't have accounts. They're one of the biggest violators of privacy on the internet, if not the biggest. Google also collects way more data than is required, and with Windows 10 being partly in the cloud they collect and store a lot of info they don't need.

Facebook probably is the worst because they cover so many platforms and websites and what they log, I have them blocked in multiple ways on everything, they still sneak in.  Google is a close second and I hope we have a change in administration before it reaches conclusion so it can be stopped (linking you to your financials/credit). Doubleclick, now owned by Google tried this before and was shot down, which is why Google now owns them but this is ultimately their goal. Which is why Google is blocked as much as possible as well.

Despite all this, even they are not as brazen as MS and Win10, they basically took it to it's logical conclusion. If it could be logged and/or sent to them, it does. The only reason it now(!) lacks a keylogger is because of France. It still tracks everything clear down to network ID and passwords it's just not logging keystrokes unless you type them into a search field.

Facebook and Google may know you your hobbies, your friends and your financial bracket but MS knows where the bodies are buried.

Couldn't have said it better. Your life isn't private anymore unless you live in the woods off the grid, haha.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #260 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 17:34:06 »
Couldn't have said it better. Your life isn't private anymore unless you live in the woods off the grid, haha.

It's more like, your life doesn't matter if no one cares.

A nobody is invisible.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #261 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 04:54:34 »
A nobody is invisible.
Just how I like it.  :cool:

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #263 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 17:30:42 »

It's more like, your life doesn't matter if no one cares.

A nobody is invisible.

Ouch. C'mon man, the truth hurts  :'(

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #264 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 06:02:38 »
There is quite a bit you can do to minimize your footprint, however if you didn't start a while back, it's a bit late and how minimal depends a bit on how convenient you want things to be.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #265 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 08:04:55 »
Just stay p00r.. never get on their radar.

Offline Altis

« Reply #266 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 13:58:43 »
Win10 drives me nuts on laptop. It's always burning through battery (and mobile data) to do forced updates/"virus scanning", and all sorts of other 'tasks'.

It's become insufferable.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #267 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 16:22:48 »
Win10 drives me nuts on laptop. It's always burning through battery (and mobile data) to do forced updates/"virus scanning", and all sorts of other 'tasks'.

Become? It's done that since the beta.

It was the final nail in the coffin for me in regards to running Windows, I stuck it out long enough to get my free key for being a tester and then ditched it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #268 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:40:27 »

Become? It's done that since the beta.

It was the final nail in the coffin for me in regards to running Windows, I stuck it out long enough to get my free key for being a tester and then ditched it.

>_> <_< You can still activate Windows 10 with 7 licenses. Free keys are literally everywhere.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #269 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 20:20:52 »
>_> <_< You can still activate Windows 10 with 7 licenses. Free keys are literally everywhere.
Not when it was released.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #270 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 16:56:20 »
Not when it was released.

I'm pretty sure that you could. That was one of their marketing ploys to try to get people to adopt more quickly, and acted like it was a limited-time thing. I forget how long ago now it was that they pretended that that program ended. If you couldn't, I'm not sure how I immediately went from beta licenses to full on 10 Pro licenses on 3-4+ systems. I've been daily driving it from pretty early on, once I found it to be relatively stable enough, save for the early driver ... issues.

I never was a fan of Windows 7 to begin with. It beats Vista, but that's not saying much. Would have been nice if M$ had chosen XP as their "final" operating system.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #271 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 19:16:31 »
Every time I reset my comp now my sound defaults to the HDMI port and reinstalls the wrong drivers automatically. SO FUN, THANKS WIN10!

Offline OtherBarry1992

« Reply #272 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 19:54:08 »
Love me some windows 10, although on my xps 13 I have Ubuntu dual booting.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #273 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 22:35:44 »
Every time I reset my comp now my sound defaults to the HDMI port and reinstalls the wrong drivers automatically. SO FUN, THANKS WIN10!

Is that worse than Windows 7 having no idea what 25% of the devices even are? Maybe I'm old school, but I don't let my operating system choose my drivers for me. You might want to look into SDIO, go to OEM product pages, or start looking up hardware IDs.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #274 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 03:49:27 »
I'm pretty sure that you could. That was one of their marketing ploys to try to get people to adopt more quickly, and acted like it was a limited-time thing. I forget how long ago now it was that they pretended that that program ended. If you couldn't, I'm not sure how I immediately went from beta licenses to full on 10 Pro licenses on 3-4+ systems. I've been daily driving it from pretty early on, once I found it to be relatively stable enough, save for the early driver ... issues.
Blah, I misread it as being able to buy cheap keys everywhere, which I don't think were available right away for Win10, though like you said you could use a Win7 or 8 key.

I just wanted the free key because it was free and supposed to be some special key, and I collect keys (for some stupid reason). Then it came out it was free, but only access to beta builds or something (it was a few years ago and I lost interest). All of that has changed, now everyone has access to them and the beta keys are now just normal keys, I think.

Don't do the beta channel unless you like pain.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #275 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 03:57:07 »

It decided my scanner didn't need access to the drive the other day, I feel your pain.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 07:24:46 »
That is why I still run a SoundBlaster Zx, only time sound changes is due to a GPU driver update and even then it just defaults to my Kanto YU2's instead of my headset.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #277 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 08:47:35 »
That is why I still run a SoundBlaster Zx, only time sound changes is due to a GPU driver update and even then it just defaults to my Kanto YU2's instead of my headset.

I'm still surprised by this. I have run Windows 10 on countless configurations of hardware, partly just to play with it. I have had 0 audio driver problems, but I also usually use SDIO to pull all of the actual OEM, up-to-date drivers straight from the latest driver packs instead of waiting for M$ to shovel their random nonsense in.

Offline AlexeiSayle

« Reply #278 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 18:27:48 »
If you're not quite sold on Windows 10 and just want to run it alongside another operating system such as Windows 8.1 or Linux

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #279 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 16:20:07 »

Next time i get a pc i'm going to get windows 10 ltsc instead of home

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #280 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 19:30:43 »
You can't buy it on a home computer.
It's volume license only (A.K.A. big business) or fly the Jolly Roger.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #281 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 05:16:57 »

News @ 11, woman arrested for breaching software vendor agreement, selling nearly 50,000 copies of microsoft software to unqualified end-users, many of whom she met on what experts describe as an online computer peripheral fetishism website, to which the perpetrator is a member of under the alias Leslieann.

> Do you wish to know more ?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #282 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 08:20:21 »

News @ 11, woman arrested for breaching software vendor agreement, selling nearly 50,000 copies of microsoft software to unqualified end-users, many of whom she met on what experts describe as an online computer peripheral fetishism website, to which the perpetrator is a member of under the alias Leslieann.

Do you wish to know more? Is this Starship Troopers? lol

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #283 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 18:38:15 »

Do you wish to know more ?

TP4 has a lot of class - all low.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #284 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 19:52:39 »

LMAO, unfortunately windows doesn't believe that a good bug is a dead bug

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #285 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 21:45:57 »

LMAO, unfortunately windows doesn't believe that a good bug is a dead bug

The brain bug got to their best and brightest years ago. They can no longer be stopped.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #286 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 16:33:40 »
I use Windows 10 at home and work. I work in computing at the University of Bath, so it's bread and butter there and keeping up to date at home just makes sense so there is parity in my desktop experience. Having access to N versions means I can run Pro at home and Enterprise at work. I like Linux well enough and have a box at work for Kali (I do some cybersecurity work) or Ubuntu depending on how I'm feeling, the gaming experience on Linux has come on leaps and bounds but is still nowhere near the level of completeness I'd expect from Windows.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #287 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 19:15:42 »
Win10 continues to install updates on it's own even after I paused all updates and made exceptions for it not to do so. Today I actually had to stop it from rebooting all on it's own right when I was in the middle of something because it installed an update secretly while I was asleep without permission.

Why even have an option to pause and turn off updates if Win10 just completely ignores that and does whatever it wants anyway?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #288 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 20:15:16 »
Win10 continues to install updates on it's own even after I paused all updates and made exceptions for it not to do so. Today I actually had to stop it from rebooting all on it's own right when I was in the middle of something because it installed an update secretly while I was asleep without permission.

Why even have an option to pause and turn off updates if Win10 just completely ignores that and does whatever it wants anyway?
Important security fixes do not get deferred.

What constitutes an important update is up to them though and they've been known to send them out without proper testing.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #289 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 11:18:38 »
I definitely disliked Windows 10 a lot at first. Went back to Windows 7 for a couple of years. By the time I bought another laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled it had either improved or I'd gotten accustomed to it.

My main gripe with modern Windows is I don't like File Explorer as much. They took out the recent folders thing which meant I rarely had to dig through my whole file structure to find jobs cos they were usually up there already with a single click.

edit: I see I can actually restore that function might give it a go.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #290 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 16:24:46 »
I definitely disliked Windows 10 a lot at first. Went back to Windows 7 for a couple of years. By the time I bought another laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled it had either improved or I'd gotten accustomed to it.

My main gripe with modern Windows is I don't like File Explorer as much. They took out the recent folders thing which meant I rarely had to dig through my whole file structure to find jobs cos they were usually up there already with a single click.

edit: I see I can actually restore that function might give it a go.

Yeah, there are several flavours of restorative mods to fix File Explorer, likewise, some theming that can make it look a lot nicer too.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #291 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 07:30:07 »
I've not taken an update in months because MS cannot be trusted to do their jobs. The entire Win Update team are nothing but **** ups at this point.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/04/12/microsoft-windows-10-warning-crashes-boot-internet-connection-slowdown-problems-upgrade-windows-10-free/

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #292 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 07:57:25 »
I've not taken an update in months because MS cannot be trusted to do their jobs. The entire Win Update team are nothing but **** ups at this point.

Seems pretty much every other month there's something.
I was also seeing a bit of talk about bad GPU drivers today, so that may have also updated for some people.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #293 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 08:07:36 »

I was also seeing a bit of talk about bad GPU drivers today, so that may have also updated for some people.

Not even using build 9x

Offline f1

« Reply #294 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 10:47:51 »
If you must use Windows 10, use Sledgehammer (formerly WUMT Wrapper Script)

Sent from my smartphone which I have. Case, charger and everything.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #295 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 13:45:34 »

I don't know why they would bother. The drivers always seem to be 4-5 years out of date anyway. Maybe not for somewhat modern dedicated cards, but I couldn't fathom why people would be relying on M$' drivers for such things.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #296 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 20:33:01 »

I don't know why they would bother. The drivers always seem to be 4-5 years out of date anyway. Maybe not for somewhat modern dedicated cards, but I couldn't fathom why people would be relying on M$' drivers for such things.
Because most people never mess with their system once it's up and running and have no idea those drivers are so out of date.
Manufacturers and MS aren't blameless here either.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #297 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 17:46:07 »

In theory, it's a good idea to distribute older drivers that have been tested stable for standard use, but in practice it's rarely done properly, esp. with the whole "bundle" trend being pushed. Standard consumers don't care as long as it works most of the time, and companies have found out that this demographic doesn't care enough to do anything but ***** a bit when it doesn't work (no repercussions, cool, keep low-balling QA until there are).

Super users get the shaft by having to pay more for a more configurable option (lol) and/or needing to dedicate more time on driver installation, configuration, and hacking [depending on the ecosystem]. The problem is that super users are in such a small minority that they have more success fixing issues themselves and relaying that information to their communities than fighting for proper QA changes.

The whole mentality needs to change, but that's not likely to happen until "digital life" reaches a point where the livelihood of corporations has a critical relationship with standard consumer interactions. Unfortunately, that's unlikely due to the success of the large corporations [giving them financial immunity and the power to influence the direction of changes] that determine this necessity, and the sheer volume of standard consumers who are indifferent to quality standards [as long as they are able to do the bare minimum].

I would love to see what would happen if IP owners lost their exclusivity rights due to failure to meet certain QA levels.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #298 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 18:07:51 »
People always jump to blaming QA for missing a bug but 99% of the time it's not QA's fault at all. In fact most of the time that bug is known and reported multiple times and the engineers just ignore all suggestions.

I know for a fact MS cares more about meeting deadlines than they do about fixing known issues. It goes so far as a QA team missing a previous milestone due to not having enough time, then being scolded and given more work than before with even less time to complete it. It's so ****ed over there.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2020, 18:12:21 by noisyturtle »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #299 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 08:19:47 »
People always jump to blaming QA for missing a bug but 99% of the time it's not QA's fault at all. In fact most of the time that bug is known and reported multiple times and the engineers just ignore all suggestions.

I know for a fact MS cares more about meeting deadlines than they do about fixing known issues. It goes so far as a QA team missing a previous milestone due to not having enough time, then being scolded and given more work than before with even less time to complete it. It's so ****ed over there.

Sounds like publishers pushing deadlines onto game developers.