Author Topic: List which switches you have tried and your rating 1-10 of the switch?  (Read 45317 times)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
I'd love to start a thread asking one simple question (Well one with a few parts)

1. Which switches have you tried long enough to form an opinion of?
A. Rate each of them on a 1-10 scale (1 being awful 10 being godlike)
B. If you so desire put a very brief reasoning as to why you feel the way you do about each switch you rated.

(I'll definitely be posting myself further down into the thread just so happens i'm posting this at 3:50 AM before work and don't have the time to make a proper full list right this second)

However i look forward to reading responses as i love hearing different thoughts and opinions since they change so very much user to user.

Cheers!
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
1. Topre, all Cherry MX and variants, DT-35
A. Topre: approaching negative infinity
    MX: Most of them are sitting around 5-6
    DT-35: 8
I love Elzy

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
1. Gateron Blues, Browns and Reds
A. Blues: 0, Reds: 2, Browns: 7-8
B. Clicky switches drive me mad. I have no use for the sound, as I have my headphones on, and prefer the music over the noise. So do my colleagues at work, and my wife at home. The sound thus does not buy me anything, and is rather annoying. Reds just felt bad, without any tactile feedback. Browns so far are okay, the noise is well within acceptable levels, I can feel the tactile bump with some fingers, that don't mash the keys to the bottom. I'd prefer something a little heavier, though, but Browns are okay for the time being.

I'm not going to try anything clicky or linear. Have a keyboard with Matias Quiet Click incoming, very interested in trying that too.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL285ATFsHGY9JnaQemdjRLEMmLRKpmbfB

:p

Cheater :p,  But given the sheer amount of vintage switches you have tried i don't blame you for not typing them all up lol.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL285ATFsHGY9JnaQemdjRLEMmLRKpmbfB

:p

Cheater :p,  But given the sheer amount of vintage switches you have tried i don't blame you for not typing them all up lol.
You should see how many LOOSE switches I have, too :)) .

Offline jcoffin1981

1. Mx Brown, Mx Clear, Mx Brown, Gateron Brown, Mx Blue
A. Mx Brown 8/10, Mx Clear 6/10, Gateron Brown 7/10, Mx Blue 3/10
B. Mx Brown has the right resistance, but I like that it has less tactility.  I'm gonna try a linear switch and give the board a test drive.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 April 2017, 22:59:41 by jcoffin1981 »
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock

MX: Browns, Greens, Clears.
Rubber: K120, two roccat ones.

Browns: 3/10
Greens: 8/10
Clears: 9/10
K120: 7/10
Roccat rubber domes: 2/10

B. If you so desire put a very brief reasoning as to why you feel the way you do about each switch you rated.

Browns are too light, scatchy, and lack any real tactile feedback.
Greens are too loud for me, but I love the feel.
Clears are almost perfect, just a tiny bit too heavy, like only just.
K120 for a rubber dome keyboard it's great, especially compared to some of the more pricey gamer ones I have tried.
Roccat rubber domes both were quite bad, but the one my brother had was the worst I have ever used, literally either no resistance or too much, mushy, the led's made a buzzing noise, just awful. And for the price both were bad and the k120 is way better. The reason I said Roccat rubber domes is simply as I can't remember the name of them.

on a different note I really want to try zealios. And I'm getting a planck with matias quiets.
TP4 fanboy

Offline kawasaki161

1:
MX Blues, MX Browns, Zealios 62g

A:
Zealios: 8/10
Blues:6.5/10
Browns:5.5/10

B:

I did not try enough switches to be able to give out a 10/10 without feeling bad about it, so 8/10 is my max score.

Browns: I like Browns, but only if they are consistent. I've probably gotten a board with late 2015 or learly 2016 production date and the switches are just like rolling dices. Some feel like dirty Reds, some are kinda smooth, some are very scratchy and some are just like they should be. If all switches were like they should be then it would be a better rating, but my batch was awful. (Or were the two switches I liked the odd ones?)

Blues: I've been using Blues for a LONG time now, almost 5 years to be exact. My Blues were always pretty consistent and I never had ones that stopped clicking or something among those lines, even though I had a few spills. I could daily Blues without a problem.

Zealios: A wise man once said "I can assure you that Zealios are the way to your feelios" (ChucklingKumquat) and oh boy was he right. I'm currently using 62g Zealios on a Cooler Master Quickfire TK with Vortex PBT alphas and Maxkeyboard ABS mods (just for the record). The sound of those switches is extremely nice, a lot deeper than all Cherry switches I tried and the upstroke clack is just phenomenal. Those things also are extremely smooth with no scratching I am able to recognize. And the tactility is just right with the resistance of the spring being just how I want it. the only thing that slightly bothers me is the stem wobble, but it is not the feelig of it that I dislike, it's just the fact that it exists. If I had the chance to thoroughly try out more types of switches I might raise the score of these, I just didn't want to be that guy that only tried a few but is handing out 10's left and right (even though I wouldn't go higher than 9).

As soon as my new board arrives I can test my creation of true Vintage Blue stems in 90's Black housings and also 90's Blacks (also with springswap and lube) thanks to switchtopremoval.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 May 2016, 08:18:11 by kawasaki161 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
OK, I'll list my opinions of some of the more common switches. Not going to do all the ones I've tried so far, that would take way too long xD .

MX blue - 5/10
MX red - 2/10
MX black - 2/10
MX brown - 2/10
MX clear - 4/10

SKCM black - 6/10
SKCL green or linearised other Alps - 8/10
SKCM orange/salmon - 9/10
SKCM white - 8/10
SKCM blue - 10/10

MBS (M) - 8/10
CBS (F) - 10/10

Topre - 9/10

I don't like Cherry MX a lot. Blues are by far the best in the series, but their keyfeel is still not great and the sound is absolutely horrible, it's probably the worst-sounding switch I've heard to date. Blacks and reds are stratchy, boring, lifeless, and badly weighted, and overall some of the worst switches I've tried so far. MX brown is just awful in every way, I don't know what they were thinking when they thought this was a "tactile" switch.

Alps are great switches, but marred by a huge weakness - if they're not clean, they feel like crap. The figures I posted are assuming they're spotlessly clean (of course this goes for all entries). Blacks feel rather rough, but at least they have an actual tactile bump, and they're quite versatile. Linear Alps are THE linear switches go get IMO, with perfect weighting and extremely smooth keyfeel. Tactile Alps are possibly my favourite tactile switches. Clicky ones are the best-sounding clicky switches there are IMO.

Buckling springs are fantastic too. Membrane ones (M) are on par with white Alps in my opinion, although they're more robust and less vulnerable to dust. Capacitive ones are pretty much the ultimate typing switch IMO, they feel slightly better than blue Alps, but blue Alps sound better.

Topre is really nice too, I can see why people like these. Smooth, soft keyfeel with a proper, well-rounded tactility, these show that rubber domes can be great if done well. I wish I had a board with these with a normal size layout as unfortunately these tend to come in layouts and form factors that are very useless for me.

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw

Cherry MX Browns, Reds, Blues, Topre

Browns: 2/10
Good, smooth Reds: 6/10
Bad, with spring issues and scratchiness Reds: 1/10
Blues: 8/10
Topre 45g: 8/10

Browns are ok if you absolutely don't care about the feels and otherwise they are top notch crap
Blues are not have that fall after the tactile bump, which is great, I like how it clicks if the speed of typing is not too high. I would love to try some whites with washed out grease
Reds has some linearity to show how smooth or scratchy they are. I find them great for long typing
Topre is far better tactile switch than brown, but for using them over the month I found that my fingers become too lazy to type on it, it slows ands slows and so on.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 May 2016, 08:17:34 by HeeCh2ei »
Cherry is the Maker, Topre is the God

FC660C             FC750R (reds)     FC750R (blues)

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

I've tried MX browns, blues and blacks, black Alps, Topre, Buckling Spring and Beam Spring.

All would get a relatively high note, as in not below 5 and perhaps not below 6, and none would get a 10 or perhaps even 9. Beam Spring could perhaps hope for the highest note of all, whatever that'd be. Blues and probably Buckling Spring wouldn't fall below 7 but probably wouldn't climb above it either*. The rest would be too difficult to rate, notably I'd need more experience with blacks, as well as a modern brown TKL to try.

* Buckling Spring probably deserves a higher rating in objective terms than I would assign to my subjective feel of it.

SKCM blue - 10/10

Bought that through Classifieds once, but it was lost in transport. :(

Do you have particularly strong or heavy hands or is there a different reason you prefer stiffer switches, such as key resistance playing an important role in your typing technique (due to either slow or very fast speed or some other reasons)?

1. Gateron Blues, Browns and Reds
A. Blues: 0, Reds: 2, Browns: 7-8
B. Clicky switches drive me mad. I have no use for the sound, as I have my headphones on, and prefer the music over the noise. So do my colleagues at work, and my wife at home. The sound thus does not buy me anything, and is rather annoying. Reds just felt bad, without any tactile feedback. Browns so far are okay, the noise is well within acceptable levels, I can feel the tactile bump with some fingers, that don't mash the keys to the bottom. I'd prefer something a little heavier, though, but Browns are okay for the time being.

Perhaps something as simple as Cherry blacks? They're just a tiny bit heavier than blues.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 May 2016, 10:40:06 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline Red October

Let's start with what's in front of me:
IBM Capacitive Buckling Spring (Model F): 10/10 good feedback, good sound, perfect weighting.
IBM Buckling Spring (Model M): 9/10 slightly heavier than F, sound is different but tactility is the same.
Alps SKCC Green: 7/10 Light and fluffy and ever so slightly tactile (marketed as a linear switch, tactility is strictly from the mechanism itself).  Noisy, the keyboard clatters.  Nice if you like that sort of thing, which I do.
Alps SKCM Green: 7/10 very similar to the above.
Cherry MX Black: 6/10 for modern, 7/10 for "vintage".  Not sure if the simply feel better as they wear in, but they are linear and severely weighted.  Similar in weight to Honeywell Hall Effect switches.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
IBM Model M Buckling Spring: 8/10 Great for typing, but a little heavy and too tactile/clicky for extended periods of gaming.

MX Blue: 6.7/10 Like really wimpy buckling springs, I enjoy their lightness over the buckling springs and the board I had used a very nice batch that was very consistent and extremely smooth.

Kailh Reds: 4.5/10: They are weighted much better than MX Reds or MX Blacks at 50g, but they are scratchy as hell even after being heavily worn in for nearly half a year and sometimes you can hear the springs creak. They also ping like mad but this didn't effect the score. It's still my preferred gaming board, though.

Linearised Complicated White ALPS 7/10: The slightly shorter travel and smoothness made these very nice for me. I don't care to type on linear switches but I really liked these, plus the sound is delicious.

I'm undecided on Complicated White ALPS because the board I had wasn't in great condition and overall felt like crap, but I have tried a loose NIB Matias Click and was extremely impressed by their smoothness, so I would probably put them between MX Blue and Buckling Springs.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

MX Blue: 6.7/10 Like really wimpy buckling springs, I enjoy their lightness over the buckling springs

There's wisdom in that comment.

Offline supamesican

White alps clones, that need some cleaning(fk-2001) 7.9/10
topre switches(hhbk) 8/10
buckling spring(model m) 9/10
model f. easy 11/10, best thing I've ever used.

Offline Fiery

Do you have particularly strong or heavy hands or is there a different reason you prefer stiffer switches, such as key resistance playing an important role in your typing technique (due to either slow or very fast speed or some other reasons)?

I might have slightly "strong" or "heavy" hands
but I for the most part just enjoy the heavier experience as I get a more clear feedback
and usually make less mistakes.
I don't type extremely fast anyways (max 60~ wpm) so being able to type with less errors is more beneficial than the occasional burst in speed I theoretically could get from using lighter switches. I also have newer felt much fatigue when using heavier switches so for me using them has little to no downside. I also bottom out less, or at least less harshly. Hope that answers your question :)
TP4 fanboy

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
OK, I'll list my opinions of some of the more common switches. Not going to do all the ones I've tried so far, that would take way too long xD .

MX blue - 5/10
MX red - 2/10
MX black - 2/10
MX brown - 2/10
MX clear - 4/10

SKCM black - 6/10
SKCM white - 8/10
SKCM blue - 10/10

MBS (M) - 8/10
CBS (F) - 10/10

Topre - 9/10

I don't like Cherry MX a lot. Blues are by far the best in the series, but their keyfeel is still not great and the sound is absolutely horrible, it's probably the worst-sounding switch I've heard to date. Blacks and reds are stratchy, boring, lifeless, and badly weighted, and overall some of the worst switches I've tried so far. MX brown is just awful in every way, I don't know what they were thinking when they thought this was a "tactile" switch.

Alps are great switches, but marred by a huge weakness - if they're not clean, they feel like crap. The figures I posted are assuming they're spotlessly clean (of course this goes for all entries). Blacks feel rather rough, but at least they have an actual tactile bump, and they're quite versatile. Linear Alps are THE linear switches go get IMO, with perfect weighting and extremely smooth keyfeel. Tactile Alps are possibly my favourite tactile switches. Clicky ones are the best-sounding clicky switches there are IMO.

Buckling springs are fantastic too. Membrane ones (M) are on par with white Alps in my opinion, although they're more robust and less vulnerable to dust. Capacitive ones are pretty much the ultimate typing switch IMO, they feel slightly better than blue Alps, but blue Alps sound better.

Topre is really nice too, I can see why people like these. Smooth, soft keyfeel with a proper, well-rounded tactility, these show that rubber domes can be great if done well. I wish I had a board with these with a normal size layout as unfortunately these tend to come in layouts and form factors that are very useless for me.

You like MX Blues more than MX Clears? I thought you said MX clears were your favorite Cherry.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

I will in all likelyhood do a full video review of each switch i own in the future at some point with more in depth thoughts on each but this is a basic list at the least

Cherry Switches

Cherry ML 5/10

Felt like a "Laptop mechanical switch" and off center key presses make the keys feel near unusable.  Fairly rough overall and not a switch i like all that much but i have used far worse.

MX Black 7/10

With a higher force required than MX reds typing on these makes avoiding accidental keypresses much easier, however they are fairly scratchy and take quite some time to break in to make any sort of difference.  They also typing on them for long periods can get fairly tiring unless you touch the switch JUST exactly to where it actuates and release.  They require a very specific rhythm and typing method to not get tiring.

MX Red 5/10

While great for gaming being VERY easy to "double tap" given these switches have a VERY low force and no tactility it is easy to make LOTS of typos via accidental key presses unless you have hands and fingers near in size and weight to that of my Guinea pig.  They while less scratchy than the MX Blacks are still IMO noticeably scratchy.  I can't see using these switches for anything but the most twitch based games...typing on them is a virtual nightmare IMO.

MX Blues 7.5/10

A delight for typists with an audible click for tactile feedback and feeling decently smooth as far as Cherry goes it's very easy to get a fast typing rhythm with these switches as you click away.  They can annoy people near by you however and Hysteresis can be a problem in fast twitch like games.  Also it's not uncommon to find some of these switches having lost (or never having come with) a proper click.

MX Clears 8.5/10

Easily my favorite cherry switch they are relatively smooth while providing fantastic tactility much more so than Browns and without the loudness of Blues or Greens.  Paired with some PBT Cherry profile keycaps these are one of my favorite switches to type on.  The only real CON is they can get relatively tiring typing at anything over 80+ WPM for long periods...Though i imagine Ergo clears may solve that to a degree.

MX Browns 7.5/10

I have had varying thoughts on these switches throughout the course of time from love to hatred to..meh they are ok.  These days i don't mind using them when i have to but the ever so slight tactility while preferable to pure Linear is barely noticeable, they can also be fairly scratchy until broken in.  They are fairly quiet however unless you bottom out and provide "just enough" tactility for the very light typist.

MX Whites 2/10

Easily my least favorite Cherry switch...maybe least favorite switch period.  With Wildly inconsistency among switches some click....some do not...some do but it's a muted click..they feel odd to type on at the best of times.  It was a great idea in theory, a heavy MX Green like switch with a softer click not quite so high pitch.  Instead we got a heavy switch with VERY inconsistent clicking and feeling among the switches feeling more like a batch of MX Greens where some are broken and some work.  VERY poor switch all around IMO.

MX Greens 6.5/10

Too heavy for myself personally but if you are a fan of Blues and feel those are too light MX Greens CAN be a typists dream.  They are simply too heavy to be practical for myself however.

Matias Switches

Matias Clicky

8.5/10

These switches have a lovely satisfying sound that makes MX Blues cower in the fetal position when in the same room together.  With a tactile click near the top of the switch these have a very different feel to them than tactile Cherry switches and they are a pure delight to type on feeling quite smooth and easy to get a proper typing Rhythm going.  They are however QUITE loud (Just lower pitch than MX Blues) So while i find them less annoying sound wise they will likely annoy several people near you.   Also for gaming i don't find them ideal personally as double tapping is a chore...but for typing they are quite lovely.

ALPS

Black Alps 6.5/10

While the tactility force level feels quite nice these switches have an almost "sticky" feel to them when trying to get into a fast paced typing motion.  (And i assure you the board i use them on is anything but dirty) for slower WPM typists or slower gameplay these feel fairly nice.  But for Faster typing it almost feels as if i am fighting with the switches a bit and have to be very deliberate with my key presses like someone using a hammer to type with (Even compared to things like MX Greens)  I may actually use Chyros video tutorial and turn the board into a linear one.

Topre

45 G (Case Mounted) 9/10
These switches are smooth as all get out and while not as snappy as 55G Topre do not really get tiring after using them for very extended periods of time.  They have just enough of a tactile bump without being majorly distracting and have a very pleasant typing sound in addition to all of this.  The only real con is they can once you get very used to them become slightly boring since there is not a while lot of variance within the Topre world compared to ALPS or Cherry or anything else really. 

55G (Plate mounted) 8/10

These switches emphasize everything that is Topre between the notable thock and topre snap.  My view on this is very subjective as while I like them as a whole and even though they are only 55G compared to some much stiffer switches I use daily....they do get fairly tiring with extended usage.  When I had my 55G Realforce I found on many occasions my hands tiring out to the point I would have to swap boards...even more so than my much heavier MX Blacks and MX Clears...perhaps it's something to do with the force curve?  But for myself that combined with the case mounting of the HHKB feels overall superior to the plate mounting when it comes to Topre switches while the 55G is still a fantastic option (and maybe superior for some) for myself I prefer the 45G Case mounted HHKB Topre overall, still a very fantastic switch in it's own right however.

Romer-G switches  3/10 (No variants of weighting I am aware of)
These switches ii truly dislike...between the switch itself feeling as though a wet piece of tissue is stuck under the switch...the lack of near any keycap replacement options at all....Truly and honestly just not a fan in any way shape or form, I see little reason for these to even exist in an already crowded market.

Buckling spring (Model M) 8/10

I love the sound and feel of these switches for so many reasons,however i personally tire on them after long term usage and thus could never use them as a daily driver.  Also they are far from ideal for gaming (though usable) but are fantastic for typists with heavy fingers.  But given the heavy weight to them and soso for gaming usage i really have to cap them at an 8.  I do so LOVE to use them on occasion though and would likely do so more often were they not to tire my fingers out so quickly.  Some people are annoyed by the sound but personally i find it borderline therapeutic.

I have not bothered getting into any of the clone brands of Cherry as it would take too long to cover them all so instead I will just make a general statement about each.

Gaterons: Generally smoother than cherry from when I have tried the Blue switches and Black switches.

Outemu: Can be smoother than cherry but at the cost of great inconsistency from switch to switch.  This is VERY noticable on my Magcforce 68 to the point some of the Black switches feel like super blacks.
Kailh: See Outemu, virtually the same opinion on these as Outemu though I will say the clicky tactile switches seem much more pronounced than Cherry
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 May 2016, 15:38:58 by LiquidEvilGaming »
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.

MX blue - 5/10
MX red - 2/10
MX black - 2/10
MX brown - 2/10
MX clear - 4/10

SKCM black - 6/10
SKCM white - 8/10
SKCM blue - 10/10

MBS (M) - 8/10
CBS (F) - 10/10

Topre - 9/10

You like MX Blues more than MX Clears? I thought you said MX clears were your favorite Cherry.
No, they're better than MX brown, but I like MX blue more overall. In the flesh, Clears are not as good as I had hoped.

Offline Suruga Devil

Switches Used:
MX Reds (lubed and dry)
MX Greens (lubed and dry)
MX Clears
MX Browns
MX Blues
Topre 45g (HHKB)

Ratings:
MX Reds (dry): 4/10 ...when dry. These things are just too damn scratchy.
MX Reds (lubed): 6/10 Much better than dry, everyone with Reds should really try it out. Still somewhat scratchy, but it's a league better than stock.
MX Greens (dry): 7/10 Quite loud for an MX Switch. Click is very tactile and obvious when depressing the key. If I was a tactile guy I'd use these, but the versatility of linear switches just isn't here. Good for tactile switch.
MX Greens (lubed): 3/10 Don't even try it. Lubing these is a PITA and if you **** it up you WILL lose the defined audible click. Feel pretty bad with lube, since it messes with the consistency of the slider.
MX Clears: 4/10 These would be better if they weren't so inconsistent. Some click, some don't. Good for a tactile/nonclicky switch, but the activation point isn't too well defined by the bump. Comes with the territory.
MX Browns: 1/10 Feel like Reds with a grain of sand stuck in them. Terrible. I'd prefer a stiff rubber dome to these things.
MX Blues: 2/10 No idea why these got so popular. Too soft for a clicky switch, and they feel like they're missing something. Sound weird and feel weirder.
Topre 45g HHBK: 8/10 Really solid switch. Exceptionally smooth, and the collapse of the dome gives a great indication of when you're past the activation point. They sound phenomenal and have great typing feel.

Offline QuincyJones

This light switch

Feels great (man), has worked for 20 years, near-silent, and is phalic enough to masturbate over.
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Red/blue/BS Model F/BS Model M/Rubber dome with ? slider. I miss the Model F :'(

Offline pr0ximity

Membrane bucking spring - 6/10
Capacitive buckling spring - 10/10
Beamspring - 11/10

Topre 55g - 8/10

Modern MX Red - 4/10
Modern MX Blue - 5/10
Modern MX Brown - 2/10
Modern MX Clear - 7/10

Gateron Black - 8/10
Vintage MX Black - 10/10
Hall Effect - 7/10
ALPs SKCL Green - 10/10

Note: Hall Effect seem very dependent on condition and lubrication. Low marks because off-axis keypresses are brutally unpleasant on my sample.

Mounting of switches is a *massive* factor for me, so my ranking is very biased because of that (for example, the difference between Gateron and Vintage MX Black is probably closer, but the boards I've tried them in have been vastly different qualities).
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
BS (f):10/10
BS (m) 8/10
BS (m2) 8/10
Alps SKCL Green: 8/10
Alps SKCL Green modded with skcm white click leaf and top housing: 9/10
Alps SKCM White: 7/10
Alps SKCM Orange: 7/10
Cherry MX Black (vintage if it means anything): 4/10
Cherry MX Red: 2/10 fcking terrible
NMB Dome with slider (dell quietkey) 6/10
Fujitsu Peerless: 4/10
BTC Foam and Foil: 0/10 fcking terrible
Scissor Switches (Lenovo Thinkpad X230 Keyboard): 5/10
Dell rubber dome board: 0/10
Dirty Alps SKCM White: 0/10 completely unusable
SMK Monterey Blue: 8/10
Razer switches (kailh blue): 5/10 (The only experience I have had with these is opening a blackwidow ultimate box at walmart and typing a little bit on the board. I would personally never buy a razer board. Too gamery for me.)

Probably forgot a few, but this is what I can remember.

Offline emdude

Membrane Buckling Spring - 8/10
Beam Spring - 10/10

Alps SKCM Blue - 9/10
Alps SKCM Amber - 7/10
Alps SKCM Brown - 9/10
Alps SKCM Orange - 8/10
Alps SKCM Salmon - 8/10
Alps SKCM White Damped - 6/10

Cherry MX Blue - 5/10 (Reallllly dislike these)

Rubber Dome (Logitech K120) - 4/10
NMB Rubber Dome w/ Slider - 5/10

Have not gotten around to trying a Capacitive Buckling Spring and will funnily enough be trying a Beam Spring first, in a few weeks.  Generally prefer clicky switches, aside from MX Blues, which I find to have an annoying click.  Thought I wasn't much of a tactile switch person until I tried those in the SKCM series.  Would definitely want to try SKCM Browns or something at some point.

EDIT: Added SKCM Brown and Beam Spring
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2016, 21:11:35 by emdude »
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline pr0ximity

Membrane Buckling Spring - 8/10
Beam Spring - ??/10 (Just got my hands on some IBM 3277 boards that I will be trying out in a few weeks)

Alps SKCM Blue - 9/10
Alps SKCM Amber - 7/10
Alps SKCM Orange - 8/10
Alps SKCM Salmon - 8/10
Alps SKCM White Damped - 6/10

Cherry MX Blue - 5/10 (Reallllly dislike these)

Rubber Dome (Logitech K120) - 4/10
NMB Rubber Dome w/ Slider - 5/10

Have not gotten around to trying a Capacitive Buckling Spring and will funnily enough be trying a Beam Spring first, in a few weeks.  Generally prefer clicky switches, aside from MX Blues, which I find to have an annoying click.  Thought I wasn't much of a tactile switch person until I tried those in the SKCM series.  Would definitely want to try SKCM Browns or something at some point.

So jealous of those 3277 terminals :P
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
This light switch

Show Image

Feels great (man), has worked for 20 years, near-silent, and is phalic enough to masturbate over.
Do you like the bottoming out?

Offline BucklingSpring

You scored them pretty much all high. You are now officially a switch lover. :-)
I will in all likelyhood do a full video review of each switch i own in the future at some point with more in depth thoughts on each but this is a basic list at the least

In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline jackstar7

Topre 30g: 9
Topre 45g: 7
MX Blue: 7
MX Brown: 6
Topre 30g 104U-Silent --- 87U-Silent and 103U are now backups only

Offline jacobolus

Cherry switches: 3.5
Topre: 4
bubble wrap: 10.3

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Cherry MY - 5
Cherry MX Blue - 6
Cherry MX Blue (Vintage from Dolch PAC 1800) - 7
Cherry MX Brown - 6
Cherry MX Green - 7
Cherry MX Grey (Tactile) - 4
Cherry MX White (Clicky tactile) - 7
Cherry MX Clears - 8
Cherry MX Clears ("Vintage") - 9
Ergo Clears - 9.5
Zealios - 9.5
Cherry MX Black - 4
Kailh Browns - 6
Kailh Blues - 7

I'm a big tactile fan, and without going into too much detail, I really rate Kailh switches. I would give Zealios and Ergo Clears 10s but I've not really typed on them for that long a time to rate them as the perfect switch in my eyes.

I've not typed on Topre or any linear MX switches or Gaterons to have any opinion about them.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Alps SKCM Blue: 10/10
55g Topre: 9.9/10
Alps SKCM Green: 9.8/10
MX Ergoclear 62g: 9.7/10
MX Clear Stock: 9.5/10
Buckling Spring: 9.4/10
Gateron Clear/Blue: 9.2/10
MX Black: 9/10
MX Blue: 8.8/10
45g Topre 8/10
Orange/Cream/White Alps: 7/10
MX Brown/Red: 5/10
Mx Green: 3/10
Greetech Brown: 2/10 ...really didn't think it was possible to make me hate the MX brown feeling anymore, greetech accomplished that without holding back
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Otesanek

In order from when I tried each switch chronologically-

Cherry Brown: 3.5
Cherry Black: 5.5
45g Topre: 9
55g Topre: 8.5
Buckling Spring: 8
Cherry Blue: 7
Vintage Cherry Black: 6 (nice, but I think I might be too used to tactile switches)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
brown = 0/10, felt like ****
black = 0/10, linears are boring as ****
red = 0/10, see black
blues = 7/10, love clicky but too light
green = 7.5/10, love clicky little heavier than blues but could be heavier
whites = i just dont like cherry.
BS = 1/10, love the weight. the board sounds like ****.
hhkb 45g = 8/10, awesome switch. not a huge fan of case mounted topre tho
rf 45g = 7/10, too light for me. can't rest fingers on keyboard without activating a switch
rf 55g = 10.5/10, god tier switch. this is what all topre should feel like. buttery smooth and the right weight. shame you can't duplicated it on HHKB or else it would make the hhkb 110/10.

i tried a single zealio today. love the color purple. switch wasn't too bad. but i don't think it's worth the price.

also one of my hhkbs was modded with lube and dental bands. it was weird at first. travel was too short and it was TOO quiet.  but i can get used to it. i'd give that 7.5/10. i still think stock is best.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline jcoffin1981

K120 for a rubber dome keyboard it's great, especially compared to some of the more pricey gamer ones I have tried.
Roccat rubber domes both were quite bad, but the one my brother had was the worst I have ever used, literally either no resistance or too much, mushy, the led's made a buzzing noise, just awful. And for the price both were bad and the k120 is way better. The reason I said Roccat rubber domes is simply as I can't remember the name of them.

on a different note I really want to try zealios. And I'm getting a planck with matias quiets.

Now for me what is most important is  not bottoming out.  I also don't like a heavy switch which if you are typing for a few hours at a time writing papers and such, your fingers will fatigue.  Gateron browns used to be my favorite, but I found that as soon as I broke past the point of greatest resistance, it was difficult not to bottom out on the keystroke.  Cherry browns have more initial resistance which I don't like, but  it is very easy to stop as soon as the keystroke has engaged.  I really wish I had more experience with Cherry reds.  They are very light, but I can't tell bottoming out would be an issue.  Plus, I have only tried them on those little switch testers, and they felt very, very scratchy.  Many complain that Cherry browns have virtually no tactile feedback, but I find it's  just right to not bottom out.  As soon as you break through the point of greatest resistance, there is a bit of a cushion which absorbs the pressure you are applying.  This is all highly subjective and no two people will agree on the same points.  This is why cherry clears are popular, for the same reason...  it's just a stiffer switch.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Fiery

Now for me what is most important is  not bottoming out.  I also don't like a heavy switch which if you are typing for a few hours at a time writing papers and such, your fingers will fatigue.  Gateron browns used to be my favorite, but I found that as soon as I broke past the point of greatest resistance, it was difficult not to bottom out on the keystroke.  Cherry browns have more initial resistance which I don't like, but  it is very easy to stop as soon as the keystroke has engaged.  I really wish I had more experience with Cherry reds.  They are very light, but I can't tell bottoming out would be an issue.  Plus, I have only tried them on those little switch testers, and they felt very, very scratchy.  Many complain that Cherry browns have virtually no tactile feedback, but I find it's  just right to not bottom out.  As soon as you break through the point of greatest resistance, there is a bit of a cushion which absorbs the pressure you are applying.  This is all highly subjective and no two people will agree on the same points.  This is why cherry clears are popular, for the same reason...  it's just a stiffer switch.

I bottom out almost always, but when I use clears a almost don't and if I do it's pretty lightly. this allows for more comfort when typing as opposed to the harsh bottoming out I end up with on switches like browns. I responded to another guy on why I prefer the heavier switches. And I agree that it's very subjective. Also I always take regular breaks and don't type for hours on end so I never feel fatigued from using heavier switches.
TP4 fanboy

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
Cherry MX Black – 9/10
Cherry MX Black (Vintage) – 10/10
Cherry MX Blue – 4/10
Cherry MX Brown – 1/10
Cherry MX Red – 7/10
Cherry MX Green – 5/10
Cherry MX Clears – 1/10
Gateron Blacks – 9/10
Zealios – 3/10
Buckling Spring – 8/10
Alps White – 7/10
Alps Blue – 10/10
Alps Cream – 0/10
Alps Click modded Cream – 5/10
Alps Orange – 2/10
Alps Click modded Orange – 6/10
Topre RF 45g – 7/10
Topre RF 55g – 1/10
Topre RF 55g (lubed, silenced) – 0/10
Topre 45g (HHKB lubed, dental band) – 10/10
Topre 45g (HHKB lubed) – 9/10
Topre 45g (HHKB Type S, stock) – 7/10
Topre 45g (HHKB Type S, dental band,lubed) – 10/10

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
only going rate switches for which i have owned a board with, or used for a decent while

cherry mx browns: 3 - first switch. may as well be a linear switch because that bump is tiny. lots of friction when new
cherry mx blues: 6 - feel pretty great. way too loud though, and caused double tap issues while gaming
cherry mx reds: 6 - **** for typing, great for gaming
cherry mx blacks: 4 - see above, but more dislike because of high weight
cherry mx clears: 5 - can actually feel the bump. too heavy and scratchy for me
cherry mx ergo clears: 8 - great bump, great weight, smooth typing
gateron clears (35g): 7 - only tolerable for very light typists. decent for gaming
buckling spring: 2 - tremendously heavy for me
topre 45g: 7 - nice weight, nasty upstroke plastic slapping sound
topre 45g silenced: 8.5 - even better weight, much better sound
topre 45g lubed + silenced: 10 - my perfect switch. buttery smooth, initial resistance reduced just enough for me. only remaining sound is a smooth, soft resonance as i type. love both HHKB mount and RF mount.
topre 55g: 5 - really stiff and poppy

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Chryos, if you ever get a Type Heaven it might be up your alley. Full sized and $100 less than the hhkb.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Chryos, if you ever get a Type Heaven it might be up your alley. Full sized and $100 less than the hhkb.
I'd love one! I've tried Topre but they wouldn't donate one to me for a review, sadly :)) .

Offline kekman

• quit life
BS: 8
Topre: 8
MX: 3-6
Gaterons: 5-9
Zealios: 7
Hi-tek: 7
Keytronic rubber dome: 5
NMB slider over dome: 2

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

I'd love one! I've tried Topre but they wouldn't donate one to me for a review, sadly :)) .

As it comes to mind i don't think iv'e ever really seen Topre directly give out a board for review not even to some of the largest Youtubers around.  The very small few i have seen given out to review were generally sent via a third party like NCIX or etc.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
55g Topre (87U) - 10/10
45g Topre (HHKB) 9.5/10
Ergo Clears - 8/10
Buckling Spring - 7/10
MX Reds - 5/10
MX Blacks - 4/10
MX Blues - 3/10

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

You scored them pretty much all high. You are now officially a switch lover. :-)

Yet another reason i will do videos of each in the future, while i can give simple numeric scores here i can't get full into detail of my subjective thoughts versus general thoughts and comparisons to other switches etc etc...or i would need to write up like 10 pages per switch :p
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Phenix

Really looking into some nice videos with comparisons
Winter is coming.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.

As it comes to mind i don't think iv'e ever really seen Topre directly give out a board for review not even to some of the largest Youtubers around.  The very small few i have seen given out to review were generally sent via a third party like NCIX or etc.
Tsk, tsk, tsk! They need to reprioritse! 8)

Offline shortround

• Scoot jockey, nomad trash.
Cherry Mx black:  2/10 (Terrible, I always felt like the key wasn't going to pop back up).
Cherry Mx blue:  7/10 (Always felt just a little too light).
Cherry Mx brown:  7/10 (Pretty good, but wanted a little more tactile bump).
Cherry Mx clear:  8/10 (Felt nice but a bit fatiguing though).
Membrane:  5/10 (I feel completely neutral on these, so long as the caps have decent shape to them).
Scissor switches:  1/10 (I associate these with flat chiclets keys that have no feel, terrible).
Buckling spring:  9/10 (If memory serves, it's been years since I've used one, but the feel was always good).
Topre:  9/10 (A satisfying pop with each press, and little noise to go with it, my current favorite).

I would like to try Zealio switches at some point. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 May 2016, 23:21:06 by shortround »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling

Tsk, tsk, tsk! They need to reprioritse! 8)

I've seen the Novatouch in a few reviews; surely CM would say yes to some extra cheap marketing

My original verdict still stands. Model F is No.1 (until TIL RF/HHKB2?)

Offline zombiegristle

Re: List which switches you have tried and your rating 1-10 of the switch?
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 00:30:52 »
I prefer "clicky" switches because I'm a writer not a coder/gamer, and I find linear switches introduce far too many errors and tactile "non-clicky" switches feel "mushy" to me while audible switches are more "crisp". I also don't have to worry about annoying others with the noise.

Cherry MX Black: 5/10, I don't care for linear but I like the heavier resistance in these. I use them for macro keypads, not typing.
Cherry MX Blue: 7/10, feels pleasantly crisp but light enough that I accidentally actuate them when resting my fingers.
Cherry MX Brown: 1/10, feels like nondescript mush, absolutely hate them.
Cherry MX Green: 8/10, was my favorite for a long time until I discovered Gateron. Fixes the actuation issue of Blues.
Cherry MX Red: 3/10, lighter than Blacks makes these useless to me. Also a little gritty.
Gateron Blue: 8/10, still too light for a flat keyboard, but in curved keywells they work perfectly. Slightly smoother feel than Cherry.
Gateron Green: 9/10, the closest thing to perfection I've tried yet. Heavy, clicky, smooth. These will be in my next flat keyboard.
Rubber-dome: 1/10, feels like nondescript mush.
Scissor-switch (SP4 type cover): 6/10, has a nice crisp feel but not enough travel for my typing style.