Author Topic: How hard do you all type?  (Read 480 times)

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
How hard do you all type?
« on: Wed, 08 May 2024, 22:56:02 »
Ever since I got my hhkb, I've noticed that I've been typing like, way less hard than I used too, you would think I was using 100g springs with how hard it was, but I don't know it just happened suddenly when I switched off it to my mx board and realised that.

I think it might've happened because of how tiring it was with how I used to type on my hhkb, cause it's got that steel plate so when you type really hard it feels so stiff, so maybe my hands adjusted subconsciously so It wouldn't be as harsh or tiring. The only other thing I could think of is that because the actuation of the topre switches and it being tactile, but I have used tactiles that are like topre in terms of you push the switch and it bottoms out and I still typed pretty hard with them.

How hard do you all type, would like to know?

Offline erretter

• My Merch Shop
Re: How hard do you all type?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 May 2024, 13:03:40 »
I can only shake my head whenever I see/hear "This board/switch/keycaps will behave so and so IF you bottom out".

IF?! It is beyond my reality how a human being can type without bottoming out?! I type all the way trough he board. I have big hands, am a big dude with some muscles on me. I am literally afraid of using FR4 or Carbon fiber plates because I think I will break them or at least bend them beyond repair.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 May 2024, 13:17:38 »
I can touch type without bottoming out, and usually do, but I always use clicky keyboards or at least tactile ones.

Linear switches seem creepy to me, although I do appreciate their silence.

That said, my mood is a big determinate of how hard I type, and a significant part of the time I am pounding the keys. And I feel certain that earlier in the day when I am rested I type better and gentler, and by the end of the day I am being more sloppy and striking harder.

That is probably why I like ancient IBM iron so much - it makes little difference when you double (or triple) the force that you are using.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 May 2024, 15:00:38 »
Depends on my board. My home board with SA keycaps and Zealios I beat the piss out of. I am not sure why but it feels like I press very hard and loud. Maybe intentional since I enjoy the sound.

At work I use Alps Damped Creams and I don't feel like I press hard on them, very quiet.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 May 2024, 01:07:43 »
I can only shake my head whenever I see/hear "This board/switch/keycaps will behave so and so IF you bottom out".

IF?! It is beyond my reality how a human being can type without bottoming out?! I type all the way trough he board. I have big hands, am a big dude with some muscles on me. I am literally afraid of using FR4 or Carbon fiber plates because I think I will break them or at least bend them beyond repair.

I also don't know how people consistently bottom out, I have to intentionally press the key in order to not bottom out. Also fr4 and carbon fibre will probably never break while typing even if you are typing really hard.

I can touch type without bottoming out, and usually do, but I always use clicky keyboards or at least tactile ones.

Linear switches seem creepy to me, although I do appreciate their silence.

That said, my mood is a big determinate of how hard I type, and a significant part of the time I am pounding the keys. And I feel certain that earlier in the day when I am rested I type better and gentler, and by the end of the day I am being more sloppy and striking harder.

That is probably why I like ancient IBM iron so much - it makes little difference when you double (or triple) the force that you are using.

the mood thing is interesting, I definitely feel like I type harder when I am more frustrated I had never noticed that.

Depends on my board. My home board with SA keycaps and Zealios I beat the piss out of. I am not sure why but it feels like I press very hard and loud. Maybe intentional since I enjoy the sound.

At work I use Alps Damped Creams and I don't feel like I press hard on them, very quiet.

I think it could be the tactility of the zealios that gives the impression that you are typing harder, because those switches you always have to follow through with the tactility til you bottom out. Or as you said it could be the sound making you press it harder.

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 May 2024, 08:52:51 »
I feel as if I am compelled to press the switch harder because I actively enjoy the sound of the keycap bottoming out. With the AEK Alps board, the switch has a dampening rubber so even if I am pressing hard the audible bottom out is muted.

Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline mathisart

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 May 2024, 09:06:11 »
I like 35g Kailh Chocs. I try to type just hard enough for them to depress, but sometimes it's somewhat harder.
I also tried 20g to see if I could type faster by using less force, but it was harder for me. Maybe with practice it'll be faster.