geekhack Community > Input Devices

I'd like to make a "work context" switcher box

(1/2) > >>

skullmonkey:
So, like a lot of people I'm sure, I spend much of my time switching between different projects, and each project has a different 'context': a set of folders, files, email threads, browser tabs, yadda yadda.  I'd like to make a bank of switches, big fat keycaps on loud clicky switches with illumination like in a spacecraft control panel, all mounted in a row on the shelf above my monitor. Anyone made something like this?  I'm wondering what macro software do you use and how do you do the keymappings, and any build tips for this kind of thing?

F eq ma:
First thought would be hand wired keys hooked up to a pro micro.  The use qmk to map higher function keys (f13 - f24).  Once mapped, then use AutoHotKey to map those function keys to complex command sequences to control the environment.

Nothing states it needs to be keys either.   Maybe rocker switches or arcade buttons....really your imagination is the limit once you get comfortable with the hand wiring.   There maybe some pre-made panels that just need the wiring.   Maybe industrial controls at aliexpress/amazon/local army surplus.

F eq ma:
Another thought.   Find a cheap macropad/tenkey that can be flashed with qmk.   That way you can get feel for the firmware and AutoHotKey without the investment of the full on panel.    I just got done playing with a Bdn9 board, but i would not call it cheap in the end.   All those add-ons and components add up quickly.   Debt by a thousand cuts...

foxieze:

--- Quote from: F eq ma on Thu, 29 April 2021, 20:28:27 ---First thought would be hand wired keys hooked up to a pro micro.  The use qmk to map higher function keys (f13 - f24).  Once mapped, then use AutoHotKey to map those function keys to complex command sequences to control the environment.

Nothing states it needs to be keys either.   Maybe rocker switches or arcade buttons....really your imagination is the limit once you get comfortable with the hand wiring.   There maybe some pre-made panels that just need the wiring.   Maybe industrial controls at aliexpress/amazon/local army surplus.

--- End quote ---

Definitely agree with you for the most part, although I don't think it is necessary to use QMK for just a few buttons, and just writing some simple Arduino code should do the job fine.

skullmonkey:
sweet, thanks!

yeah, maybe industrial controls would be the thing. hmm...

maybe I'll try something like this, a DIY fake Tellite switch

https://bridgesim.net/discussion/476/building-physical-consoles-for-snis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version