Previous Events Archive > KeyCon 2018

KeyCon 2018!! --> Details Posted

<< < (2/51) > >>

Theconejo:

--- Quote from: jacobsmirror on Tue, 14 November 2017, 12:40:27 ---I'm throwing my vote in for Columbus, OH, and would be happy to help organize. I already ran a mk meetup at the Idea Foundry last September
 (pics:https://imgur.com/a/h0493), and plan to run another in March, so the venue is pretty well sorted. The cost of food/travel/lodging for Columbus is also more than reasonable compared to a lot of other major cities. Also, there's a brewery right next door to the Idea Foundry... which is a point not to be overlooked.

--- End quote ---

I've only driven through but I was looking at hotels for the csgo major that was held there a couple years ago and everything was super reasonable. I would vote for this.

HoffmanMyster:

--- Quote from: jacobsmirror on Tue, 14 November 2017, 12:40:27 ---I'm throwing my vote in for Columbus, OH, and would be happy to help organize. I already ran a mk meetup at the Idea Foundry last September
 (pics:https://imgur.com/a/h0493), and plan to run another in March, so the venue is pretty well sorted. The cost of food/travel/lodging for Columbus is also more than reasonable compared to a lot of other major cities. Also, there's a brewery right next door to the Idea Foundry... which is a point not to be overlooked.

--- End quote ---

This gets my +1 easily.  Very central location, affordable, and plenty to do.  :thumb:

pwade3:
I am all on board for a Columbus Keycon!

OfTheWild:
2017 had some really fantastic meet-ups that were very well attended and even sponsored with vendor donations. I think each of the following locations are easy to get to and have a large and active group that would love to host.

New York City
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Raleigh/Durham
Atlanta
Charleston
Austin
Houston
Seattle
Chicago

Big airports and direct flights are nice but cost of hotel is high and rental cars and such are a factor. We have a large range of people from broke students all the way up. On the other hand, there have been some really great meets that were actually quite difficult to travel to as well - like Asheville, NC where we had no major airport, expensive hotels, long drives, and no real local support group... yet I think we all had a lot of fun and quite a few people made the journey out to the mountains.

I think there is a happy medium for finding a place that has a popular airport with reasonably priced flights and hotels... and just as important, something cool that people would love to go do before/after the meet in smaller groups. Heres some places that have a lot of extracurricular activities and an easy airport but aren't your major metropolitans

Charlotte
Denver
Albuquerque
New Orleans
Nashville

Probably the best flight deals are always to Las Vegas or Orlando... probably have some really easy "group event" options too but I dunno - from what I've found, most of us are the 'chill, craft beer, indie rock, black coffee' kinda crew. I'm fairly confident if we decided to meet in someplace obscure like Wyoming, Utah, or Kentucky.. people would still show up.

fendent:

--- Quote from: OfTheWild on Tue, 14 November 2017, 17:45:45 ---2017 had some really fantastic meet-ups that were very well attended and even sponsored with vendor donations. I think each of the following locations are easy to get to and have a large and active group that would love to host.

New York City
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Raleigh/Durham
Atlanta
Charleston
Austin
Houston
Seattle
Chicago

Big airports and direct flights are nice but cost of hotel is high and rental cars and such are a factor. We have a large range of people from broke students all the way up. On the other hand, there have been some really great meets that were actually quite difficult to travel to as well - like Asheville, NC where we had no major airport, expensive hotels, long drives, and no real local support group... yet I think we all had a lot of fun and quite a few people made the journey out to the mountains.

I think there is a happy medium for finding a place that has a popular airport with reasonably priced flights and hotels... and just as important, something cool that people would love to go do before/after the meet in smaller groups. Heres some places that have a lot of extracurricular activities and an easy airport but aren't your major metropolitans

Charlotte
Denver
Albuquerque
New Orleans
Nashville

Probably the best flight deals are always to Las Vegas or Orlando... probably have some really easy "group event" options too but I dunno - from what I've found, most of us are the 'chill, craft beer, indie rock, black coffee' kinda crew. I'm fairly confident if we decided to meet in someplace obscure like Wyoming, Utah, or Kentucky.. people would still show up.

--- End quote ---

I think we'll probably be going Olympics style like last year where locals who are willing to host and make arrangements throw their hat in the ring and we make a vote at some point in the future. I love all these notes though and agree with you on all points.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version