Author Topic: Jailhouse Blue QFR tour  (Read 48433 times)

Offline khaangaaroo

Re: Jailhouse Blue QFR tour
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 15:21:23 »
Awww sorry guys. It's time to bring the sucker home for repairs then.

The tour will go on! but if anyone wants out, I'd understand...haha.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 17:19:43 »
Technical issues aside, I was really surprised by how much I like these shorter throw switches. Jailhouse Blues ROCK!

I'm still working on the review itself, but I put together a quick video with samples of what it sounds like. You can find it on Vimeo at Not a valid vimeo URL

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 18:21:49 »
The switches are great.

One of you hired guns for modding should figure out a standard price and there might be quite a bit of work for you.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 16:46:47 »
Just dropped of the board to ship back to Khaangaaroo via Priority Mail.

Still working on the review and hope to post it soon with photos.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 17:02:40 »
I'll you guys know once I figure out what's wrong with it. I'm adding Photoelectric to the mix and moving Mugen back up, assuming he'll be back from his trip once the board is ready to head back out. Check the updated list for the new order.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 17:05:04 »
Thank you--I'm extremely intrigued.  I tried MX Clears and Ergo Clears today, and I really liked them.  These Jailhouse Blues sound even potentially better.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 03:40:47 »
So the board was returned to me today, and I took it apart when I got home from work. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary except the internal USB connector was slightly loose. (Not the cause of the problem though.) I put it back together and it worked fine again! Then it hit me, the QWER UIOP keys not working on QFR's has been mentioned in a few threads before. I even posted in one of them! (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35523.0)
Over tightening of the screw on the bottom can somehow cause keys in row 4 to go out. I should have paid more attention to mashby's video about which keys weren't working and connected the dots. :-[

I open my QFR's up pretty often, so I never bother to keep the screw in. But I reinstalled the screw right before starting the tour, thinking it would help keep the board more rigid during shipping, so it eventually caused problems. I'll leave the screw out when I continue the tour.

But I'm glad we got the board home for a pit stop. I replaced the bad F4 switch, and put tighter spacers in the keys that were still making a slight click (phx mentioned in his review.) Man, I forgot how time consuming it was to mod regular blues into JH Blues...haha. I'll test the board out some more tomorrow to make sure everything works before sending it out again. Thanks for your patience, guys!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 05:11:43 »
Glad it wasn't anything major!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 05:58:31 »
Sounds good khaangaroo! Really excited to try this out and to write a review ^-^

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:08:05 »
Good deal.

Jailhouse blues are wicked bad.

Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:57:17 »
Good deal.

Jailhouse blues are wicked bad.

So bad they are..... good? ;)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 09:31:32 »
Glad it was a relatively easy fix!  Looking forward to trying the switches!

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 13:29:20 »
Ok, it's heading out again. If you guys could reuse the original packaging and pack it the same way, I'd appreciate it. I also included some blank shipping labels. The old one should peel off easily.
Here are the specs if you want to print shipping labels from home: 3lbs 12oz (15" x 12" x 3")
I like to use the Paypal shipping link: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 13:33:38 »
Awesome!  I've got some nice light soft white "cloth" that my IKEA Expedit shelving was wrapped into to wrap the keyboard into as well, under bubble wrap (if that's what you're using).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 13:37:17 »
Am I next in line? And is it ok if I just write out the address since I don't have a printer?

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 13:39:29 »
I can't wait till its my turn, thanks for putting me on the list Khaangaaroo!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 13:41:00 »
CPTBadAss: There's an up-to-date list in the first post--you'll be the 3rd person on the way, I believe.  I don't have a printer either, but I either print at work, or at Staples (across the street, they offer 10c a page black and white printing--very convenient for quick USPS / UPS labels).  It's cheaper to pre-pay USPS Priority on-line and print out a label somewhere, if it's not too inconvenient, but you can always write out labels by hand, of course! 

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 13:42:01 »
Awesome!  I've got some nice light soft white "cloth" that my IKEA Expedit shelving was wrapped into to wrap the keyboard into as well, under bubble wrap (if that's what you're using).

I just have it in the original QFR box. But I have bubble wrap and a foam sheet cut to size so that the QFR box doesn't shift around inside the Amazon box. It was in a larger box before, and the QFR box was starting to rip at the corners from all the tumbling around.

Am I next in line? And is it ok if I just write out the address since I don't have a printer?

You'll be after Photoelectric and Mugen. I changed the order cause Photoelectic is farther east, and Mugen should be back from his trip.
Yeah, you can just write the address on a blank shipping label.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2013, 22:16:42 by khaangaaroo »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 13:43:40 »
Ah ok, I thought I was still in line after mashby. That is fine. Thanks! And I don't ship things too often so I still go to the post office...so old school I know :P

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 15:32:36 »
Ah ok, I thought I was still in line after mashby. That is fine. Thanks! And I don't ship things too often so I still go to the post office...so old school I know :P

Yeah, you were closest geographically to mashby, but because the board came back to me on the west coast, it's cheaper for everyone overall if I start it out again in Massachusetts.

For the old school folks that go to the post office, it'd be good if you could ship it to the next person via Priority Mail rather than Standard Post (ground.) It cost only a little bit more, but it seems to me that Priority Mail packages are handled with more care, and of course it's father. They also don't group them with oversized packages with the potential to crush keyboards :P

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 01:26:20 »
While the board was home, I took some comparison shots between different stems. Maybe it'll help people better visualize what they're feeling when they use it. The anatomy of the Jail House Blue stem:

The bump is bigger than a brown stem, and closer to the top of key travel.

The reduced travel distance comes from the white half of the stem extending lower than regular mx keys and hitting the bottom of the switch housing sooner.
The bottoming out sound is muted because instead of the sound of impact going directly from the stem to the key cap, it goes from the white part of the stem > spacer > blue part of the stem > key cap.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 01:42:05 »
Man, I forgot how time consuming it was to mod regular blues into JH Blues...haha.
That is one very big downside to them.

I was lucky in that I developed them and the spring tensions on a board without a plate, got them all working and tested, before putting them into a Filco. I would have gone insane and more than likely destroyed the board before I finished them had I needed to unsolder every time I changed something.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 06:10:26 »
Good to know this is back underway! Also cool pics!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 08:05:29 »
Man, I forgot how time consuming it was to mod regular blues into JH Blues...haha.
That is one very big downside to them.

I was lucky in that I developed them and the spring tensions on a board without a plate, got them all working and tested, before putting them into a Filco. I would have gone insane and more than likely destroyed the board before I finished them had I needed to unsolder every time I changed something.

Some of you workbench jockeys need to come up with a standard price for doing this. These are HIGHLY DESIRABLE switches, and I dislike blues!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 16:38:06 »
Some of you workbench jockeys need to come up with a standard price for doing this. These are HIGHLY DESIRABLE switches, and I dislike blues!
Other than possibly having to de-solder, it's not a difficult process, just fickle and time consuming.

I may have found a MUCH easier way to do this though, I will do some testing tonight.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 18:52:24 »
I got the keyboard safe and unharmed!  Just opened it up and started testing it.  No issues that I can detect yet.  I'll write a review later, but my first impression is: wow, the short travel distance makes for a very different typing experience vs other MX switches I've tried so far!

Which keycaps are on this keyboard, by the way? Standard thickness ABS?  Or are they thin PBT?  I've never seen PBT in person, so I can't tell :(

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 19:24:28 »
I may have found a MUCH easier way to do this though, I will do some testing tonight.

I tried to print out clips to do the JB mod, but so far, they have yet to function. It's such a small part and accuracy needs to be quite high. Hopefully, I can get it right at some point.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 20:12:35 »

I tried to print out clips to do the JB mod, but so far, they have yet to function. It's such a small part and accuracy needs to be quite high. Hopefully, I can get it right at some point.

Wouldn't little "U" shaped pieces of just the right wire, which could be crimped a bit to stay in place, be easiest and most reliable?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 21:20:18 »
Wouldn't little "U" shaped pieces of just the right wire, which could be crimped a bit to stay in place, be easiest and most reliable?
That was the first thing I tried.

The problem with that is that the right size wire is too thick as it passes the spring, so the spring catches and makes the switch feel notchy and inconsistent. The way we have been doing it was to push the spring down, it stiffens it, but at least it's consistent. In my case, I then trimmed the springs down to lower the spring rate back to normal after.

If I can get the clips to print properly, they would just snap on, and would clear the spring entirely. So far, I haven't been able to get the accuracy high enough.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:14:35 »
Which keycaps are on this keyboard, by the way? Standard thickness ABS?  Or are they thin PBT?  I've never seen PBT in person, so I can't tell :(

They're lasered PBT.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:27:41 »

They're lasered PBT.

Ah they look rough so I thought they might be.  I like them!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 07:08:18 »
That was the first thing I tried.

The problem with that is that the right size wire is too thick as it passes the spring, so the spring catches and makes the switch feel notchy and inconsistent. The way we have been doing it was to push the spring down, it stiffens it, but at least it's consistent. In my case, I then trimmed the springs down to lower the spring rate back to normal after.

If I can get the clips to print properly, they would just snap on, and would clear the spring entirely. So far, I haven't been able to get the accuracy high enough.

Those clips sound like they would make this very simple and easy enough for anyone.

If there is any costs involved in developing them that I could help with shoot me a PM.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 19:03:32 »
If there is any costs involved in developing them that I could help with shoot me a PM.
Thanks, it's ust a matter of getting the printer setup right... I think.
The clips themselves are easy enough, I already have the files, so once I can get them to print good, I can print them 60 at a time or something. They use so little plastic, a 2 pound roll would probably last for 500 keyboards.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 09:07:11 »
The clips themselves are easy enough, I already have the files, so once I can get them to print good, I can print them 60 at a time or something. They use so little plastic, a 2 pound roll would probably last for 500 keyboards.

Well if I can help in anyway let me know! I have some blue switches coming soon!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 17:28:29 »
As a quick note, this magical keyboard has gotten a face-lift in the form of case paint.  If people on the tour list would please be mindful of not jabbing the case with anything sharp, including nails, I have confidence that the keyboard can make it to its original owner without any damage :)  (On a personal note--Rust-Oleum's paint+primer line takes forever to dry vs. other kinds I've used, which surprised me.  Hence why I'm asking for some gingerly handling--just in case :) )

"Aged copper"

I'll add my typing impressions tonight or tomorrow and will try to do a sound recording of how the switches sound vs Browns, Clears, and MX Black).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 17:34:14 »
Stone cold wicked.

However, if it was really aged copper, it would be green.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 17:36:17 »
It's the name of the paint, but yeah...  I have some pure copper pipe holder things, and in comparison, this color is darker and more brown.  This color changes a lot depending on lighting.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 16:34:14 »

I would be very interested in this. I have sorely missed that tour keyboard.

I was already planning on turning my KBT Pure with MX-Blues into Ghetto Greens, but I've decided I find the pitch of the click just too irritating. So I'm thinking of making them Jailhouse Ghetto Greens, or is it Ghetto Jailhouse?

Regardless, I'm not in any rush because I'll be waiting until I get my Pure plate from the GH60 group buy, but if you get some created, I'd love to buy a set from you.

As a quick note, this magical keyboard has gotten a face-lift in the form of case paint. 

Woah, that is completely unexpected and looks amazing!  :eek:

Nice work Photoelectric!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 16:36:40 »
As a quick note, this magical keyboard has gotten a face-lift in the form of case paint.  If people on the tour list would please be mindful of not jabbing the case with anything sharp, including nails, I have confidence that the keyboard can make it to its original owner without any damage :)  (On a personal note--Rust-Oleum's paint+primer line takes forever to dry vs. other kinds I've used, which surprised me.  Hence why I'm asking for some gingerly handling--just in case :) )

"Aged copper"

Show Image

Show Image

I'll add my typing impressions tonight or tomorrow and will try to do a sound recording of how the switches sound vs Browns, Clears, and MX Black).

Just remind me, no sanding or anything just spraying it down right?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 16:50:31 »
Just remind me, no sanding or anything just spraying it down right?

I sanded ALL the corners and bent surfaces free of the rubberized gunmetal coating, and all the flat surfaces were sanded too, but not all the way through.  The gunmetal QFR cover has a very thin coat of some rubbery material that carries the paint color over plain black plastic.  I wasn't sure how durable oil enamel would be over the rubberized coating, so I started sanding with 600-grit sandpaper, and it basically took zero effort to get the coating off any corners.  The coating is very very thin.  Then I used Rust-Oleum Universal paint and primer in Aged Copper on this case, because the color is so awesome.  Normally I don't use paint+primer and just use straight enamel paint and maybe a thin layer of dedicated plastic primer underneath, as a lot of Rust-Oleum's paint sticks to plastic really well already.  Not sure if I'd recommend their Universal line yet or not, as it took a lot longer to dry vs other paint lines I've used so far, so basically need to be super careful and not handle it for a couple days after painting.  I could still make a fingerprint indent on the paint with some heavy pressure 24 hours after painting!  So for ease of use, I'd recommend other paint lines, like the Painter's Touch.  But this line does have some sweet colors to choose from :)  Lately I like DupliColor Metal Specks paints over a thin layer of Rust-Oleum, and then clear-coated.
----
Typing up my review for this keyboard now!!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 17:10:38 »
Jailhouse Blues impressions:

First of all, thank you, khaangaaroo, for the opportunity to play with this super cool keyboard!!!

The keyboard itself was quite a surprise!  The short key travel distance really makes the switches feel differently from other MX Switches I've tried.  It's almost like having a stack of o-rings on every key, but of course, different, because the tactile bump is very close to the top.  I thought it would be more like a rubber dome keyboard in a way, because the the tactile bump being higher up, but... it's not.  It's tougher and snappier than rubber domes but has a thicker and heavier feel than clean, crisp, and lighter normal MX Blues.  The sound from the keyboard is dampened, and some switches still make a faint clicking sound--many don't.  The hint of a click is there with most keys when typing. 

When I first tried the switches, after unpacking and plugging in the keyboard, it felt like the keys were fighting my fingers.  The travel distance was short, and the rebound was quick (springs are at higher tension, because they are slightly compressed), and I felt like my hands were getting a workout--like hitting a light punching bag made for fingers.  But, as it happens, I got used to that sensation, though I still think that slightly lighter springs would be beneficial for me personally.

These are not like MX Clears.  The toughness is maybe similar, but imagine Clears  with a very quick snappy bump close to the top of the travel and also a couple of o-rings.  That would maybe be Jailhouse Blues on these keyboard.

My Panasonic camera mounted ~20 cm away from the keyboard:

It's almost impossible to not bottom out or be close to bottoming out, because the force required to overcome the bump + short travel distance make it difficult to stop.  For the video above, I typed slower and tried to avoid bottoming out.  The keycaps are made of thin PBT, and the sound overall is muted, thumpy, and not terribly quiet.  I can type more quietly on MX Browns by softly touch-typing, but the sound signature is quite different anyway.  But the difference in feel between MX Browns and Jailhouse Blues is immense.  My main 2 keyboards have MX Browns, and typing on Browns feels like typing on buttered switches after Jailhouse Blues--much less of a workout from lighter actuation and longer travel distance.

For reference, here is MX Browns (on a Filco, caps are from Ducky Shine) vs Jailhouse Blues (QFR).  You can see how muted Jailhouse Blues sound--and I actually have very thin silicone o-rings on that Filco.  Camera mic is approximately the same distance from both keyboards.

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2013, 17:54:56 by Photoelectric »

Offline tom88jerry

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 17:50:11 »
May I be the second list for UK tour if it's going o happen?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 17:55:03 »
I would be very interested in this. I have sorely missed that tour keyboard.

I was already planning on turning my KBT Pure with MX-Blues into Ghetto Greens, but I've decided I find the pitch of the click just too irritating. So I'm thinking of making them Jailhouse Ghetto Greens, or is it Ghetto Jailhouse?

Regardless, I'm not in any rush because I'll be waiting until I get my Pure plate from the GH60 group buy, but if you get some created, I'd love to buy a set from you.
I'm not sure what ghetto jailhouse would be. LOL

Considering I advocate cutting the springs (at least until when/if I get clips made), spring rates are kind of irrelevant. Them being so unique kind of makes deciding what is what a bit difficult.

If/when I get clips working, I will let people know, I think more than few are interested.

It's tougher and snappier than rubber domes but has a thicker and heavier feel than clean, crisp, and lighter normal MX Blues.  The sound from the keyboard is dampened, and some switches still make a faint clicking sound--many don't.  The hint of a click is there with most keys when typing. 

{cut}

This is why I advocate cutting the springs, you don't really get the intended feel with super stiff springs. That stiffness, as you found, makes it hard to control.

As for not all clicking, that has to do with the switch tolerances. I had to mix and match a few to get mine to all work properly. The last batch of clears I got, I found 3 or 5% didn't click on those either.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 17:59:37 »
Clears are supposed to click? o.o  I know my 4 test Clear switches have a bit of a clanky clicky sound, but it's not the same click of MX Blues or Jailhouse Blues.  I thought only Blues/Whites/Greens are clicky.

I've been thinking: why not just use lighter springs instead of cutting the existing springs?  Something like 55g Korean springs, or maybe even 45g?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 18:25:08 »
Clears are supposed to click? o.o  I know my 4 test Clear switches have a bit of a clanky clicky sound, but it's not the same click of MX Blues or Jailhouse Blues.  I thought only Blues/Whites/Greens are clicky.

I've been thinking: why not just use lighter springs instead of cutting the existing springs?  Something like 55g Korean springs, or maybe even 45g?
Clears click, they have a larger tactile bump than browns or blues.

The jailhouse mod ramps up spring pressured by 30 grams. Unless you find something like a 30gram spring, you won't get close to a stock light Cherry spring.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 18:30:09 »
Thank you for clarifying the Clears--I was very confused why mine sounded clicky and why people called their Ergo Clears quiet.  I made this sound recording recently to demonstrate how clicky/clanky MX Clears are, and they are far from quiet.

There's periodic sound of keys resetting, which I think is due to the keycap.  Hence why even MX Black has that sound.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 10:09:31 »
The jailhouse mod ramps up spring pressured by 30 grams. Unless you find something like a 30gram spring, you won't get close to a stock light Cherry spring.

Thinking on that more, force is proportional to the spring constant, naturally.  If for a stock Blue (~60g) spring, the increase is 30g (30cN), that means a 50% increase in the effective spring constant.  Thus, doing a napkin calculation as a rough estimate, a 45g spring should become a ~68g spring from the same compression.  That depends on multiple factors, like how the springs behave when compressed, which is affected by their shape and material and such...  But anyway, a 40g Korean spring would then by that logic result in more or less standard 60g Blue spring.  I'm looking to get some 45g Korean springs and mod an incoming keyboard with Blues into Jailhouse Blues... hope I won't get stuck looking for those springs for as long as I've been stuck looking for Clear and White switches =/

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 14:42:39 »
I was just guesstimating.

In the tutorial (which I may re-write soon) I mention how to achieve standard spring rates, and if you place the cut end down, has no detrimental effects. If you plan on buying springs anyhow, you may as well cut them and save the money.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 18:00:56 »
Carrier has arrived :P

The board came safe and sound. Typing on it now. I'll have a review up later this week. Also, TheBinary is next in line and I can drop it off to him in person. I hope you don't mind me doing a handoff like that khaangaarroo.

Also, this board looks nice but smells pretty bad. Nice job on the paint though Photoelectric :D

Edit: Someone also has incredibly nice handwriting. Who wrote these sticky notes?
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2013, 18:03:13 by CPTBadAss »

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 18:13:06 »
The board came safe and sound. Typing on it now. I'll have a review up later this week. Also, TheBinary is next in line and I can drop it off to him in person. I hope you don't mind me doing a handoff like that khaangaarroo.

Also, this board looks nice but smells pretty bad. Nice job on the paint though Photoelectric :D

Edit: Someone also has incredibly nice handwriting. Who wrote these sticky notes?

A handoff is cool by me.

I'm pretty sure the fingers in post #90 wrote that note :)