Author Topic: Mouse without tilt scroll?  (Read 12206 times)

Offline jwpeddle

• http://typh.com
Mouse without tilt scroll?
« on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 21:42:24 »
I hate tilting scroll wheels so much  :mad:. This has been bothering me for over a decade, whenever this became standard. I want a mousewheel that clicks reliably in only one way: downwards. No left right movement whatsoever. I never use this feature and it has been making middle click unsatisfying for too long.

Other ideal features (in priority order/nothing is a deal breaker):

It's difficult to search for some of these things, I need community help.
Help me, Geekhack, you're my only hope  :confused:
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 09:27:08 by jwpeddle »

Offline KONATAonPC

Re: Mouse without tilt scroll?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 08:34:52 »
Where are you finding all the mice with tilting scroll wheels? I don't think I've ever encountered a modern mouse with a tilting scroll wheel, and rarely ever encounter them as a whole, if they were ever standard, it wasn't in the last decade. Over the last 5 years I've had around 10 mice, of varying price ranges, never checked for or avoided tilting scroll wheels, but none of them had them.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 08:42:03 »
Get a g700s, yeah the scroll wheel can move left and right but it's not a normal motion and I don't see how it would interfere with middle clicking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 09:45:17 »
Maybe with some judicusly placed epoxy you could "fix" any mouse? Just a guess.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 09:56:51 »
Yeah I've probably had 30-40 different mice since 2000 and none of them have had left-right scroll except for a Gigabyte gaming mouse I got in 2014. Which brands are you buying exactly where this is standard? Typically left/right scroll is considered a "feature" and so the mice cost more.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline ScaredFolks

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 20:41:50 »
Corsair M65 fits all your needs.

Lights can be turned off and DPI switchers can be remapped to other functions.
Thumb Scoop
3 side buttons
No left and right scroll click which is my favorite feature to be honest, I actually use the middle click again like you mentioned. though you can hit the middle click from the right which makes middle click really easy to use.
Heavy and you can add extra weights or take them out to customize the weight

It even has a shift function for multiple profiles, for example I press and hold a side button and it changes my left and right click to volume up and down, when I am done I let go of the side button and it goes back to normal left and right click. so good for productivity.

I have been using for 2 years now and I love it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 March 2018, 20:48:15 by ScaredFolks »

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 23:33:46 »
Wow kind of surprised by this. I like using it for switching between tabs quickly in Chrome.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 18:37:08 »
"no DPI switchers"

Well ****... there's plenty of crap without that at Walmart, Office Depot, etc. That comes in handy switching resolutions... going into UEFI and not having crazy sensitivity since my desktop is at 4K vs the 640x480 UEFI res.

But ****... it's useless to you, so why even ask since you've got it all figured out??? ;)

I would recommend an old new stock g400s since it's close to the g500 style, BUT NOOO!! It has a DPI switch.... CAN'T USE THAT THEN.. arghhhh!!!!
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 April 2018, 18:44:46 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 19:04:12 »
G603 is Very heavy with 2 batteries installed..

And it's more or less the Latest iterative shape based on the original MX500 shape line,

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 07:21:46 »
Scroll wheels are RSI-inducing bollocks.

The right way to do it is to have a proper middle-button. And when you press it and drag outside of a circle of n pixels it turns into a scrolling device: either (configurable) a "hand" (like a finger on a touch screen) or a "vector", where the length of the line from the press position to the mouse pointer determines scrolling speed.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 08:24:32 »
Scroll wheels are RSI-inducing bollocks.

The right way to do it is to have a proper middle-button. And when you press it and drag outside of a circle of n pixels it turns into a scrolling device: either (configurable) a "hand" (like a finger on a touch screen) or a "vector", where the length of the line from the press position to the mouse pointer determines scrolling speed.

Vertical mouse = Best mouse !!

Offline jwpeddle

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 07:58:42 »
Oh hey, this got replies after a few days! I had no idea. Thanks everybody!

Where are you finding all the mice with tilting scroll wheels?
Almost every decent Logitech mouse, for instance.

Get a g700s, yeah the scroll wheel can move left and right but it's not a normal motion and I don't see how it would interfere with middle clicking.
Already have one. It does for me. I want it to go down, and only down, regardless of whether I push it slightly off the side or not. Buttons without horizontal give feel way more reliable to me.

"no DPI switchers"

Well ****... there's plenty of crap without that at Walmart, Office Depot, etc. That comes in handy switching resolutions... going into UEFI and not having crazy sensitivity since my desktop is at 4K vs the 640x480 UEFI res.

But ****... it's useless to you, so why even ask since you've got it all figured out??? ;)

I would recommend an old new stock g400s since it's close to the g500 style, BUT NOOO!! It has a DPI switch.... CAN'T USE THAT THEN.. arghhhh!!!!
No idea what your tone is here, or why.

To clarify the DPI thing: I'll deal with having a button I don't need, but what I can't deal with is having to run software to remap things. I'm on Linux and that's often not possible. I've also had mice where the DPI setting isn't retained on plugging the mouse back in, which is seriously annoying.

Offline jwpeddle

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 08:03:36 »
G603 is Very heavy with 2 batteries installed..
And it's more or less the Latest iterative shape based on the original MX500 shape line
This actually looks really promising! Investigating now.