Author Topic: [IC] FR4 (PCB material) plates for TKLs  (Read 25272 times)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
[IC] FR4 (PCB material) plates for TKLs
« on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 12:21:33 »
Yoo

So i've been wanting to do this for a bit. FR4 plates. FR4 is a composite material composed of woven fiberglass cloth with an epoxy resin binder that is flame resistant (thanks Wikipedia). Basically, it's the substrate found in most-to-all PCBs.

It's properties put it pretty much in between polycarbonate and aluminum for plates. It's flexy and will give, but still provides support.

I have some prototype Jane V2 plates without copper on them. This is how I plan to do other plates.

The prototype's cutouts are great. I know people have had some issues doing good cut outs before, but I got my fab on top of it. Alps plates will be 1.2mm per spec.

The colors are based on the solder mask provided by the manufacturer. I'm planning on matte black, blue and red at least - maybe white or green too as limited numbers. ISO-only plates will probably only be offered in one or two colors max, as there's generally less demand for them.

I might mess with the relief cuts and stuff, not too sure if they'll really change anything since the thing is pretty flexy as it is.

These are pretty easy to stock, so I will probably just direct stock them given some interest.

Plans for now:
  • TGR Jane V2 - MX ANSI, MX ISO (limited colors), Alps (probably basic ANSI tsangan or 6.25-space, with a fixed bottom row)
  • TGR Jane V1/Orion/Mech27/Mira/Moon, same options as above - anyone else know what other boards are compatible here? I know there's a few.

Google Form for layouts, colors, and keyboard suggestions: https://goo.gl/forms/DOpcuvRLuS9JNG2q1
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 January 2019, 12:42:16 by hineybush »

Offline Tonkatonk

Re: [IC] FR4 (PCB material) plates
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 12:24:29 »
Count me in for one!  :thumb:

Noxary PC268.2 | Red Nunu | Purple PC Nunu | Ogre | Vulcan Pro

Offline txclack

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 12:26:17 »
Definitely interested.  FR4 is a cool material.  Relief cuts or copper might spice up the design.  Love what they did with the keycult fr4 plates.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 12:31:57 »
Thanks, Hiney. Been enjoying following all your recent projects and I'm definitely interested in a blue one.

Would you consider doing a half plate ANSI version?

TY

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 12:33:45 »
Thanks, Hiney. Been enjoying following all your recent projects and I'm definitely interested in a blue one.

TY

Maybe. The cool thing about FR4 is that it can be cut/sanded/modded easily. I was thinking about just providing the normal full plate, and if someone wanted to make their own half plate or some other crazy thing they can. You just have to be careful, you don't want to be breathing in the fiberglass dust.

Offline Lbibass

Re: [IC] FR4 (PCB material) plates for TKLs
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 12:40:30 »
This is pretty awesome! For the alps plates, are you planning on doing 1.2mm plates? I'd assume so.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 12:41:57 »
This is pretty awesome! For the alps plates, are you planning on doing 1.2mm plates? I'd assume so.

Yep.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 12:49:47 »

TY

Maybe. The cool thing about FR4 is that it can be cut/sanded/modded easily. I was thinking about just providing the normal full plate, and if someone wanted to make their own half plate or some other crazy thing they can. You just have to be careful, you don't want to be breathing in the fiberglass dust.

Cool, thanks for including this as an option in your IC form. Filled out.  :thumb:

Offline megaforce

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 12:51:06 »
iso sucks

Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 12:52:23 »
Any chance of just doing a basic ***** 60 tray for people to mess about with? Would open up the buy to a lot more users maybe?

(Like me. All those keyboards so big dude).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 13:17:20 »
Would it be possible to offer h87a's alongside the plates to bundle shipping when they go live?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 14:24:34 »
Any chance of just doing a basic ***** 60 tray for people to mess about with? Would open up the buy to a lot more users maybe?

Like a full kit/board, or just a plate?

Would it be possible to offer h87a's alongside the plates to bundle shipping when they go live?

I'd love to. not sure atm. I hope to have the next design iteration done in the next couple weeks, but the GB itself would take another 1-2 months to ship. I'd hope to have these ready to go sooner than that.

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 14:38:26 »

I'd love to. not sure atm. I hope to have the next design iteration done in the next couple weeks, but the GB itself would take another 1-2 months to ship. I'd hope to have these ready to go sooner than that.
Just the plate was my thinking (is a plate IC!), Fr4 is a cool material to experiment with for sure so I'd be down, I'm sure a lot would.

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 14:57:31 »

If the timing does end up lining up, that'd definitely make it that much more appealing :) looking forward to the buy either way

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 15:09:25 »
Interested in a 60 plate as well.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 15:29:28 »
Won't buy if you do an ISO version lul
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 17:21:44 »
Very awesome definitely in for one hiney!

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 17:36:06 »
Would love single layout MX Ansi WKL version for the Jane V2. The lack of ISO helps, but the extra cutouts still trigger the ocd

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 21:28:25 »

that's fine since you're banned from my buys

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 21:30:14 »

gottem

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 23:57:01 »

got me
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 01:38:21 »
In for 1, maybe 2. Would also be interested in a half plate if possible.

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 11:50:56 »
Filled out the form, hoping green plates make it

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 22:31:49 »
60% standard tray mount could be fun, not sure it's quite the same target market as TGR buyers, though. Could be an appealing option to go along with the Noxary T60, since FR4 isn't super "flexy" like polycarbonate but it is very "bouncy".

Is there any standardization at all around plates for non-tray 60% customs? Of all the things that are standard about 60s, it seems kind of weird that plates aren't at least somewhat interchangeable.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline sJ1N

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 00:49:34 »
Filled out the form, tough to decide on the colour

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 00:57:18 »
Would the TX87 be compatible with this?

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 05:39:51 »
Would the TX87 be compatible with this?

No, both TX84/87 and TX84/87se use different plates.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 06:16:02 »
I'd encourage you to replicate the relief cuts for sound as well, without them the arrows and lower nav cluster keys will probably sound more hollow than without.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 09:35:08 »
I'd encourage you to replicate the relief cuts for sound as well, without them the arrows and lower nav cluster keys will probably sound more hollow than without.

Yea, the first run pictured was pretty much a test to make sure everything would be good. The file yuktsi send me didn't have relief cuts, so I'll have to work on adding em in.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 12:16:06 »
interested

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 14:08:13 »
should have a few in stock in mid-late March.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 23:08:08 »
Here's the plan for these:

Stock in mid-march (Price estimates only, not 100% final)

Code: [Select]
FR4 Jane V2 plate - Matte black only ~$25
FR4 Jane V1/Orion/Mech27/Mira/Moon (need to verify this compat) - Matte black, gloss red/blue ~$25
    MX plates in both ANSI and ISO only (ISO only avail in matte black) - all 1.6mm thick
    Alps plates will be WKL (tsangan with 1u winkey)-only and AEK-only (1.2mm thick, matte black)
FR4 QXP Plates ~$20-25
    Final layout TBD, will likely be universal/same as the GB plate
    Matte black, gloss red, blue, white, green (not a lot of each)

There will be less gloss blue/red than matte black, think like 3:1:1 matte black:gloss red:blue.

Offline vegs

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 00:58:48 »
Salamander should be compatible too, right?

In that case, I'm definitely in for one in ISO.
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 01:03:25 »

Not 100% sure. depends on the plate design. I haven't seen much about the Salamander's design.

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 01:28:09 »
Well, if you make a plate with the pcb material, why don't you make a full sandwich case, with pcb middle too? That would be nice, colourful, and cheap.

Working on geometries and sound should be easy. You could also provide a multistrate bottom for those who want a different sound.

212680-0
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 February 2019, 01:34:59 by _GMK_ »

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 01:47:53 »
Well, if you make a plate with the pcb material, why don't you make a full sandwich case, with pcb middle too? That would be nice, colourful, and cheap.

Working on geometries and sound should be easy. You could also provide a multistrate bottom for those who want a different sound.

(Attachment Link)

Lotta time and effort there. I'm just trying to give some options to people with existing good cases. The budget game isn't my focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 03:15:37 »

(Attachment Link)

Lotta time and effort there. I'm just trying to give some options to people with existing good cases. The budget game isn't my focus.

Well, I talked about "nice, colourful, and cheap.", you probably don't want to focus on nice and colourful too  :rolleyes:

Not sure about the effort involved, I tought that after designing a plate, a case would be the simplest thing ever.

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 03:16:53 »

(Attachment Link)

Well, I talked about "nice, colourful, and cheap.", you probably don't want to focus on nice and colourful too  :rolleyes:

Not sure about the effort involved, I tought that after designing a plate, a case would be the simplest thing ever.
omegalul

Offline vegs

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 03:20:39 »

Not 100% sure. depends on the plate design. I haven't seen much about the Salamander's design.
I'll PM you some pics later today :thumb:
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 05:59:46 »

(Attachment Link)

I'm still not sure you entirely get the point of this IC but thats cool.

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 07:37:30 »
Patiently waiting for these to build my Jane V2.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 February 2019, 07:44:46 by finalarcadia »

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 08:33:29 »

(Attachment Link)

I was simply suggesting an evolution of this or of the next GB by the OP. Given that designing the plate is complicated and time consuming - full of constraints and compatibility issues as it is - it seemed really trivial to use the same work as a base to make a skeleton case.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 09:30:57 »

(Attachment Link)

I was simply suggesting an evolution of this or of the next GB by the OP. Given that designing the plate is complicated and time consuming - full of constraints and compatibility issues as it is - it seemed really trivial to use the same work as a base to make a skeleton case.

I... just don't want to do it.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 09:39:27 »

(Attachment Link)

The complicated part of this was making it universal for a bunch of different preexisting boards. You can easily design a plate for a sandwich case with tools online, bet swills plate builder would work.

Sandwich boards also aren't in high demand.

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 09:46:30 »
Super interested in getting a few for Mira SE/Mech27. Is there any estimate on price?
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 February 2019, 09:52:35 by Etherealsound »

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 09:54:36 »
Are no.1 plates a possibility?

I'd take one for no.1 and Mira if possible.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 09:58:55 »
Are no.1 plates a possibility?

I'd take one for no.1 and Mira if possible.

Maybe. Keycap Dungeon has had some in the past, designed by me as well.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 10:18:48 »

(Attachment Link)

But innovation! Think about the innovation and skeleton kits, don't you want to make a keyboard exclusively out of FR4 sheets?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 10:19:40 »

(Attachment Link)

But innovation! Think about the innovation and skeleton kits, don't you want to make a keyboard exclusively out of FR4 sheets?

yes

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 10:20:41 »

(Attachment Link)

yes

Thanks Hiney... I put my trust in you... Expect FR4