Author Topic: FILCO MAJESTOUCH 2 vs KUL ES-87 vs LEOPOLD 750R  (Read 58908 times)

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
FILCO MAJESTOUCH 2 vs KUL ES-87 vs LEOPOLD 750R
« on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 02:29:42 »
FILCO MAJESTOUCH 2 vs KUL ES-87 vs LEOPOLD 750R

I was introduced to the goodness of mechanical keyboard with Filco as my first board, and from there everything went spiral as I said goodbye to my wallet/cards bill at that point of time. I’ve acquired many boards including the old 700r, Ducky and other custom Korean boards along my board-ing time and yet I believe that Filco was unbeatable in term of build quality, sturdiness of the case, longevity and simplicity; it is just one type of pure “boardgasm”.

Until KUL and Leopold 750R was introduced, they are big contenders on Filco from my eyes and I’ve been reading pros and cons of those three boards compared among forums. Out of curiosity I decided to purchase a KUL ES-87 with green switch, and HendyZone from Mechanicalkeyboards.co.id was kind enough to lend me one of his 750R with blue switch for me to do the review, so kudos to him!

Packaging

So let’s start with how well the packaging of the boards are. One of the most important thing of pc part components from my point of view is how safe is the product to stay in one shape to get to the user.

From the feel, out of three KUL offers a better packaging overall, the box material seems to be thicker and not easily bend on pressure. They also put internal side barrier to make it sturdy during shipping.

What’s in the box?

Filco Majestouch 2 Yellow edition TKL

-   Keyboard w/cover
-   Manual booklet
-   Extra Lavender WASD set (Yellow edition Filco)
-   USB to PS/2 Adapter
-   Wire keycap puller (Not in picture)

More

Leopold 750R

-   Keyboard w/cover
-   Manual Booklet
-   Extra non windowed scroll lock key, off centered style caps lock key (though the stem is still in the middle) and space bar
-   USB to PS/2 adapter
-   Plastic keycap puller
-   Detachable cable with “Leopold” Velcro

More

KUL ES-87

-   Keyboard w/cover
-   Manual booklet
-   Extra non-windowed esc and strange keycaps size of windowed caps lock, left ctrl , backspace and backslash
-   USB to PS/2 adapter
-   Plastic keycaps puller
-   Detachable cable
-   KUL sticker

More

I’m impressed on how thoughtful these two newer competitors have to offer with their extras. However the Leopold impress me a little more with the off centered style caps lock, that might be because I’m a big fan of such caps lock style and I’m pretty sure there are people who has the same opinion. Though their keycaps pullers are a bit of a letdown, plastic just won’t do the job properly!

With cables, I can tell that they’re about the same quality yet KUL offers a longer cable of around 200cm while Leopold is around 180cm. Filco has the shortest of them all, at around 150cm it also does not offer any detachable option, they give you nice Velcro style strap like Leopold though.

Dip Switch and LED’s

Filco = Conventional LED (Caps lock and Scroll Lock). No dip switch
KUL = LED’s on Esc, Caps Lock, Left Ctrl and Scroll Lock. Have dip switch
Leopold = LED’s on F5, Scroll Lock and Caps lock. No dip switch

Dip switches are really something for power users and only KUL offers them. I will not go through every dip switches available on KUL you can download the manuals here (http://www.keyeduplabs.com/es-87.html) or see the picture below

But I can tell you that these (KUL) keyboards are made with what I think any possible scenario of either PC/MAC user; they have 8 switches with the 8th for “Future Expansion” switch. They really are planning to put more thoughts and updates for the future (as long as they still exist) and this really is a plus to be followed like any other brand such as Ducky or Razer with their ongoing firmware updates, very interesting indeed.

I’m having trouble with finding Leopold features since (what I think is) the Leopold 750R manual included is in KOREAN! Like seriously!
Feature wise, Filco really need to step up their game even just with Fn button functions to compete with these two newer boards or something better as plus point. People would not reject the option to control volumes or playback buttons.

Keycaps and typing experience

Now let’s move on to the keycaps, which what I think is one of the most important parts of this review. What really differ these boards from each other is their keycaps which would differentiate the user experience. I would have to emphasize that I am writing this review from a “clicky” user point of view, the KUL and Filco (modded) has green stock switch and the Leopold has stock blue switch.

Leopold offers a breakthrough 1.5mm PBT keyset with their keyboard; some might argue that PBT keyset is better than ABS, vice versa. But again from a “clicky” user point of view, a thick PBT would dampened the clickiness of a clicky switch; I know comparing the blues and greens are not really accurate but I do have a numpad with stock blues and what I think is an even thicker PBT set on it to compare. The Leopold with blue switch have a clickiness level in between blue switch with thicker PBT and with ABS.

Now this is when the Sound Absorbing Pad in the Leopold comes in play. I can assure you that they do make a noticeable difference to the click of blue switch, though I’m not sure why you want to dampened the click of blues/greens when people like me are searching for even more audible switch click for satisfaction. Get a linear/tactile switch or even get the damn O-ring in it if you want it quieter.

I can’t say much about Filco caps, they’re quite outdated in my opinion. The feel of Filco caps are too smooth for my liking but between those three brands I personally do prefer KUL’s one since it has more satisfying rough surface on the caps; and that when we put PBT over ABS argument aside.

However comparing the greens KUL and Filco, the Filco do put a more audible clicky noise with their caps. As I’ve told you a thin keycaps would allow the click of a clicky switch to be louder (more hollow room in the caps); but the case itself might come as a factor in this matter (different case material, hollowness of the case, PCB placement,etc)

Video : Filco vs KUL ES-87 (Green switch)

Last but not least, the profile. We all know nothing beats a Cherry profile keyset, if you are still not knowing it; give yourself some help in the forum and get one of those cherry profile set. I would say no more since only Leopold offers Cherry profile set between those three brands.

Video: Filco vs Leopold 1.5mm PBT vs Aftermarket PBT
Also tested the difference the absorbing pas made on blues

Lastly, I found that KUL has put some pad on the right shift which is very strange. I assume this would reduce the wobble of the right shift which might dampen the sound a bit.

Case

I love aluminium stuff too much and it’s hard for me to judge a plastic base case. But I can assure you that these keyboards are well built and compare to other “gaming” or “chinese” or “unknown” brand, they are on a different level. If I have to choose, I have to say that I like KUL case by a little more; KUL case is not boring, it has some beautiful side curves and it has less flex compare to the other two. Funny enough the pad placement on KUL and Leopold are similar! Copy pasting? Well I don’t know. But again I have to say that the adjustable case on Filco is less sturdy and solid compare to the other two.

The cable route under the board are only available on KUL and Leopold, while Leopold offers side cable route on each end in addition to the middle one; the KUL one also has a side cable route but the exit of the cable are on the top end of each side. KUL approach make more sense to me since I rarely seen anyone who have cables coming out from the side; I used to have this problem when I was still using my stock monitor stand where a middle cable route would just hit the stand and a side route would just make it more awkward.

Angle of the boards, they are very similar yet the Leopold is more steep by a little. You won’t feel the difference unless you have a very sensitive wrist.

All of them have very similar rough finish surface and thick plastic feel. I have not yet found any preference regarding the finish on all these three board they are all good.

Accessories

Another point to look at is the availability of after-market accessories either from the same manufacturer or third one. I can see that people are moving towards “changing” their keyboard case for aesthetic nowadays and many third party manufacturers would offer the option.

I happen to have an after-market aluminum case from TEX. Well, it has a pretty hefty price tag on it, but once you go aluminium, you won’t go back to any stock plastic case. The case is a beauty but I find that they are lack on QC. Mine came with a bit of anodizing fault but installation is very easy and my only problem with the case is that I have to put some dampening foam under the PCB . This is because a clicky switch would create a high PING noise due to some hollow space in between the PCB and the case. The TEX case also provides detachable cable features in it.

KUL also offers some case replacement option with different color. I find that the replacement top case or the stock top case has some flex on them, but you can’t expect more from a plastic case. I chose to buy the red one and man it’s a beauty. Installation was very easy and the website offers a step by step installation process. They even say it’s ok to void the warranty sticker when replacing the top case. (http://www.keyeduplabs.com/assets/KUL_ES-87_Topcase_HowTo_Rev1.pdf)

More

Unfortunately at the time of writing this review, there is no aftermarket or extra accessories for the Leopold.

Conclusion

Let me start with Filco, they are good quality and used to be the King of the Thrones. But I really do think that they have to step up their game to compete with Leopold and KUL. What makes it still lovable is the option to acquire after-market aluminium case which makes it more luxurious but with a high price tag on it.

So that left us with KUL and Leopold; it’s very hard to choose between the two. They both have pros and cons of themselves. Moreover with the price, based on the time of writing this review a KUL is available on Elitekeyboards.com at USD 129 where Leopold 750R can be acquired from mechanicalkeyboards.co.id / HendyZone (same) at the same price!. It’s more like asking which one do you love more, mom or dad.

But setting that aside; I personally as clicky switch user would buy KUL due to their plus point on Dip Switches and they feel more sturdy for me. The cable route also works well for my liking and I don’t care about absorbing pad as long as they won’t produce “PING” metal noise like the one I have with my TEX case. But again they’re both is what I think is the boards worthy of spending at this time.

Sorry for the long post, here’s a picture of a kitten

« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 03:09:47 by jokrik »
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
Re: FILCO MAJESTOUCH 2 vs KUL ES-87 vs LEOPOLD 750R
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 02:57:19 »
Woho
Nice review man :thumb:
3 nice board on the market
but KUL ES-87 i believed too will be the leader on the TKL market

I'm happy to lend anything for you ;)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 03:16:28 »
Love you Filco. Don't ever change your stock TKL case, or add a bunch  of useless fn keys (don't need fn keys on a tkl), but if you want to add some program layers that's cool  :cool:

Good review Jokrik  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 13:52:19 by CommonCurt »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 03:20:29 »
Woho
Nice review man :thumb:
3 nice board on the market
but KUL ES-87 i believed too will be the leader on the TKL market

I'm happy to lend anything for you ;)

:-*

Love you Filco. Don't ever change your stock TKL case, or add a bunch  of useless fn keys (don't need fn keys on a tkl)  :cool:

Good review Jokrik  :thumb:

Hell yeah, Filco always have a place in my heart just like you
Thx sir! :)

My filco will have a new upcoming keyset which would suit it better

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 22:30:53 »
@jokrik:
Thanks for the objective review.  :thumb:
But would you please change the You video permission so that everybody can access to them.
Currently, all of your clips are set private.
I like linear switches

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 23:00:28 »
@jokrik:
Thanks for the objective review.  :thumb:
But would you please change the You video permission so that everybody can access to them.
Currently, all of your clips are set private.

Done,
Sorry for the noobness  :-[

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 20:11:40 »
Great review! Pretty much everything was spot on! 

I have 3 KULs (2x Clears, Greens) and love them. Its really their attention to details that won me over.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 20:45:02 »
Good post,  thanks!

Offline hotrattz

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 01:18:18 »
i just got the leopold 750 does anyone have a link to an english version of the manual or am i SOL?

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 01:36:32 »
i just got the leopold 750 does anyone have a link to an english version of the manual or am i SOL?

Don't know where I put mine at the moment but if you scroll down on here you can see the fn keys for pause, play ect ect.
It's in Korean but the symbols are there so you don't really need to read the text.

http://www.leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1406876444
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline skuko

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 08:21:16 »
guys, does anyone provide a proxy service for leopolds? i really want a white FC750R with mx browns, but there's no stock on ebay :(

edit: actually found that widebasket has 3 in stock, bought one instantly :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 March 2016, 08:30:35 by skuko »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:27:32 »
Can caps and control be switched with the leopold 750R?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 10:22:06 »
Iv'e always thought Filco was disgustingly over rated and personally also love the KUL boards, i see little to no difference between a cheap Ganss GS 87 and a Filco at over double the price.  KUL's on the other hand are built like a tank come with my preferred stabilizers and offer the top casing color swap with a great warranty that is easy to get serviced.  The Leopold is also a very nice offering and the stock keycaps are stellar if you have no intention of swapping them out (though how many people does that apply to?).  The FILCO i feel far and away offers the least here for the pricepoint they ask and still do not offer a removable cable.

Great review!
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 10:23:24 »
Iv'e always thought Filco was disgustingly over rated and personally also love the KUL boards, i see little to no difference between a cheap Ganss GS 87 and a Filco at over double the price.  KUL's on the other hand are built like a tank come with my preferred stabilizers and offer the top casing color swap with a great warranty that is easy to get serviced.  The Leopold is also a very nice offering and the stock keycaps are stellar if you have no intention of swapping them out (though how many people does that apply to?).  The FILCO i feel far and away offers the least here for the pricepoint they ask and still do not offer a removable cable.

Great review!

I've started with a Filco back in 2012 or 2013, with Browns... the MJT 2 TKL. Back then, there was no KUL with dip switches, removable cable, multiple cable routing options, and ctrl/caps swap option.

But nowadays, I would never buy a Filco again because now it indeed IS overpriced and lack of features.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 10:49:43 »

Great review!

I've started with a Filco back in 2012 or 2013, with Browns... the MJT 2 TKL. Back then, there was no KUL with dip switches, removable cable, multiple cable routing options, and ctrl/caps swap option.

But nowadays, I would never buy a Filco again because now it indeed IS overpriced and lack of features.

Back in those days things were a bit different but FILCO still seems to get an undeserving fanbase and loyalists even today when they overcharge and under innovate compared to other brands.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 11:07:08 »

Great review!

Back in those days things were a bit different but FILCO still seems to get an undeserving fanbase and loyalists even today when they overcharge and under innovate compared to other brands.

And still they haven't changed their offerings for what I know.

I guess if there ever will be a Majestouch 3, it will have to be better than the KUL to get people back into buying Filco's. Though now the majority of KULs are out of stock, I'm not so sure..

Offline Polymer

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 11:17:01 »
What is it with people stuck on innovation?  What innovation do they need?  They make a solid keyboard. Simple, solid, high quality.  Filco is still the gold standard because the quality and track record.

I like the KUL too..and I think Leo is a great option as well given they've tweaked their previous design and finally went w/ a standard spacing space bar...

I'm not saying I'm not interested in some of these swappable switch keyboards, etc...I think they're interesting..but at the end of the day what I really want is a well made solid keyboard that I enjoy using.  I LIKE the idea of a swappable switch keyboard but the reality is, when I decide on the switch I want to use, I doubt it'll get changed much...that's what buying another keyboard is for :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 11:19:16 »
What is it with people stuck on innovation?  What innovation do they need?  They make a solid keyboard. Simple, solid, high quality.  Filco is still the gold standard because the quality and track record.

I like the KUL too..and I think Leo is a great option as well given they've tweaked their previous design and finally went w/ a standard spacing space bar...

I'm not saying I'm not interested in some of these swappable switch keyboards, etc...I think they're interesting..but at the end of the day what I really want is a well made solid keyboard that I enjoy using.  I LIKE the idea of a swappable switch keyboard but the reality is, when I decide on the switch I want to use, I doubt it'll get changed much...that's what buying another keyboard is for :).

Filco really lacks a couple of things that are pretty standard nowadays:
1) detachable usb cable
2) three mounting holes for usb cable (left, middle, right)
3) not swappable as in change switch, but dip switch setting to flip caps/control
4) some dip switches to change alt/win key for mac for example

Not necessarily innovation. Filco is great build quality, agreed. But it is about time they implement the aforementioned 4 things.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 11:25:02 »

I'm not saying I'm not interested in some of these swappable switch keyboards, etc...I think they're interesting..but at the end of the day what I really want is a well made solid keyboard that I enjoy using.  I LIKE the idea of a swappable switch keyboard but the reality is, when I decide on the switch I want to use, I doubt it'll get changed much...that's what buying another keyboard is for :).

The problem is though if FILCO wants to stay 10 years behind they should adjust their prices as such.  As it stands their board is no better built and offers nothing a Ganss half it's price can/does.  Meanwhile brands like Leopold offer stock cherry profile PBT keycaps and KUL offers build quality past that of FILCO while offering a removable cable and a warranty you can actually get seviced (should you so need it) along with customization via Dip switches galore.

FILCO was the gold standard however these days when people talk about them all i hear is ""Get off my lawn you kids! That's how we liked it back then and we still do!"

If FILCO dropped it's prices by 25%-30% i don't think it would be as much of an issue, but when you have KUL offering equal if not superior build with more options to it...and Leopold offering a board coming in at a lower price point with amazing stock keycaps...There is just nothing FILCO offers anymore to justify it's current price point.  Are they built well? Sure but so are many other boards built as well if not better with more features at the same or lower price points.  It's not exactly difficult to find a well built Cherry based Keyboard anymore like it was back then, so Quality alone isn't enough to ride on.

Pricing
Stock Features
Stock Keycaps
Warranty
Included Accessories
Aesthetic Design
Removable cables

These are all areas FILCO could improve on other brands already have, FILCO used to be the gold standard now they are just another reliable Cherry board among a sea of them with less features and a high price point.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:13:33 »
What is it with people stuck on innovation?  What innovation do they need?  They make a solid keyboard. Simple, solid, high quality. 
The sides of KUL's cases look awful.

The stock beige Filco TKL case still looks the best.

I would like to try one of the white FC750R's tho.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:16:48 »
What is it with people stuck on innovation?  What innovation do they need?  They make a solid keyboard. Simple, solid, high quality. 
The sides of KUL's cases look awful.

The stock beige Filco TKL case still looks the best.

I would like to try one of the white FC750R's tho.

Very subjective of course, myself i welcome the different look as i find FILCO,Ganss,QFR boards to looks extremely generic and just...meh.  Not old classic like Model M or simple and clean like RF or HHKB just straight up plain jane meh.  I do wish more Board manufactures would make something similar to the color replaceable tops also as the combinations with different keycap sets are really limitless.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline dante

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:40:02 »
I'm the opposite in that I actually prefer a hardwired cable.  Detachable is yet something else to break.

I don't even care for wireless but I'd prefer that over detachable.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:32:47 »

The problem is though if FILCO wants to stay 10 years behind they should adjust their prices as such.  As it stands their board is no better built and offers nothing a Ganss half it's price can/does.  Meanwhile brands like Leopold offer stock cherry profile PBT keycaps and KUL offers build quality past that of FILCO while offering a removable cable and a warranty you can actually get seviced (should you so need it) along with customization via Dip switches galore.

FILCO was the gold standard however these days when people talk about them all i hear is ""Get off my lawn you kids! That's how we liked it back then and we still do!"

If FILCO dropped it's prices by 25%-30% i don't think it would be as much of an issue, but when you have KUL offering equal if not superior build with more options to it...and Leopold offering a board coming in at a lower price point with amazing stock keycaps...There is just nothing FILCO offers anymore to justify it's current price point.  Are they built well? Sure but so are many other boards built as well if not better with more features at the same or lower price points.  It's not exactly difficult to find a well built Cherry based Keyboard anymore like it was back then, so Quality alone isn't enough to ride on.

Pricing
Stock Features
Stock Keycaps
Warranty
Included Accessories
Aesthetic Design
Removable cables

These are all areas FILCO could improve on other brands already have, FILCO used to be the gold standard now they are just another reliable Cherry board among a sea of them with less features and a high price point.

Exactly. :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:33:22 »
What's better build quality: KUL ES-87 or LEOPOLD 750R?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 16:36:26 »

Most reviews of the two have come to the conclusion that they are very close in build quality.  Similar enough that you can rely on other factors to make a choice.  price/availability, keycaps, overall looks, dip switches.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 17:01:13 »

Most reviews of the two have come to the conclusion that they are very close in build quality.  Similar enough that you can rely on other factors to make a choice.  price/availability, keycaps, overall looks, dip switches.

Mmm... I ask that because I want a board with blacks, but I want to lube them switches. Perhaps I should do a custom build. But I've never EVER soldered in my entire life. Oh yeah, and KUL ES87 with blacks is out of stock at EK.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 17:52:39 »

Mmm... I ask that because I want a board with blacks, but I want to lube them switches. Perhaps I should do a custom build. But I've never EVER soldered in my entire life. Oh yeah, and KUL ES87 with blacks is out of stock at EK.

Have not seen the MX Black variant restocked in quite some time on EK or Amazon or otherwise it's even harder to come by than the MX Brown variant.   I bought two of the MX Browns last time they were in stock due to how fast they sell out...the MX Black i haven't seen in forever.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 17:53:31 »

Have not seen the MX Black variant restocked in quite some time on EK or Amazon or otherwise it's even harder to come by than the MX Brown variant.   I bought two of the MX Browns last time they were in stock due to how fast they sell out...the MX Black i haven't seen in forever.

So sad. Well.. let's see what KUL has coming for us. They haven't updated their facebook / homepage for quite some time now.

Offline dante

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 17:59:39 »
KUL ES87 MX Black will be restocked this summer on Amazon.

source: KUL

You're right though.  KUL is adopting the Unicomp school of marketing.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 18:00:19 »

Enlighten me: what is the unicomp school of marketing? bait and switch?

Offline dante

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 18:06:39 »

Pretty much no news at all (ie: we don't care if you buy from us, buy or gtfo)

My wife and I talk about opening up a business from time to time and I can guarantee you I would be hammering Facebook/Twitter months before the doors were even open.

KUL is based in the states but are as xenophobic as Leopold and Filco.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 04:20:21 »

My wife and I talk about opening up a business from time to time and I can guarantee you I would be hammering Facebook/Twitter months before the doors were even open.

Yeah I don't really see why KUL goes that route. First they come into the market saying they have the supreme end-game cherry mx keyboards. Then they lure us in with the color edition. And then poof they are gone and we don't know what's happening? Very poor PR if you ask me. I'm already looking at Leopold's offerings as I do not know what I can expect for KUL. And if EliteKeyboards themselves don't know about the stock and delivery dates, it must be very bad.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 06:50:00 »

Yeah I don't really see why KUL goes that route. First they come into the market saying they have the supreme end-game cherry mx keyboards. Then they lure us in with the color edition. And then poof they are gone and we don't know what's happening? Very poor PR if you ask me. I'm already looking at Leopold's offerings as I do not know what I can expect for KUL. And if EliteKeyboards themselves don't know about the stock and delivery dates, it must be very bad.

It is quite the odd approach at that...what's odd also is when i was doing my KUL review they responded to every E-mail promptly.  Wonder what's up
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 08:01:13 »

It is quite the odd approach at that...what's odd also is when i was doing my KUL review they responded to every E-mail promptly.  Wonder what's up

Perhaps they don't know what they should do next. The only two things they have done so far is 1) the KUL and 2) colored cases editions. That's it.

But I wouldn't mind just to keep buying the same board for now. It's really awesome (except for ping some users report. Haven't had it myself.. yet)

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 09:25:33 »
Definitely the KUL for people who don't plan on upgrading their case to aluminum.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 09:28:02 »
Has KUL said anything about producing more boards? Everywhere is sold out.  :mad:

Offline Skysophrenic

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 11:48:29 »
Great comparisons - for me personally what gives the edge of Leopold over the KUL is the keycaps - I love the lower profile keycaps from Leopold. I also think that while the padding isn't necessary, for being in the same price range the additional features are definitely a plus to the overall value of the keyboards.

Offline Zar7

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 04:25:11 »
I reviewed all three boards side by side one night, giving it a good ol' compare and contrast.

After two hours of examining the three boards, I have to give the upper hand to Leopold. The build quality is great, the stock keycaps
are awesome and the overall quality of the board is top-notch. KUL and Filco are just as good, but they both lack good stock keycaps (considering the price point). Filco's main disadvantage (at this moment) is the higher price tag, and that seems to be its only downside.
If Filco ever decide to release a Majestouch III, with 1.5mm PBT keycaps and detachable cable at a lower price tag (say $115), then I am sure its going to sell. KUL can do the same by throwing in some good PBTs.

One additional advantage of Filco is that aftermarket aluminium cases are available if you are into modding. Nothing sexier than a Filco Majestouch 2 with an aluminium case and thick PBT keycaps. 

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 06:50:18 »
Nothing sexier than a Filco Majestouch 2 with an aluminium case and thick PBT keycaps. 

Thick PBT on costar stabs not so thick as on cherry ones, cause it requires sanding. I have a leopold pbt set, which is sanded to fit costar stabilised board. Once I tried it on a fc750r and found that non sanded keycaps is quiter, especially spacebar.

But sure, that difference is not important when it comes to that alu cases.
Cherry is the Maker, Topre is the God

FC660C             FC750R (reds)     FC750R (blues)

Offline Zar7

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 17:54:37 »
That is true, thick PBT keycaps needs a little bit of sanding in order for it not to grind on the middle part of the wire stabs. Originally I'm a "Costar-only" dude, bot now I am more accepting of boards with good Cherry Stabs, such as my Leopold FC750R (the best Cherry Stabs I have experienced).

Then again, if you are willing to shell out a considerable amount of money for the aluminium case, you would not mind sanding down the keys a bit. But with Cherry Stabs, no need to worry about that.

Offline chefmz23

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 03:20:53 »
Nice review :thumb:
filco MJ2 Blues|Leopold 660c

Offline need

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 05:19:07 »
Please edit the pad at shift refuces wobble claim.

It's there to dampen the stabilizer hitting the plate in the bottom of a downstroke.

Offline thecolorblind1

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 17:42:58 »
Very thorough review. I've always kind of wanted a Filco simply because they have such a great reputation, but I already have a KUL. Now I realize I'm not really getting anything over the KUL.

Offline charlesvang

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 21:53:26 »
Does the Filco Aluminum case fit on Leopold? Thank you

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 23:06:02 »
Does the Filco Aluminum case fit on Leopold? Thank you

No
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline quang linh

• Play for fun
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 00:21:43 »
thank for review ;D
 i use filco .Hopefully next time I have the opportunity to experience LEOPOLD 750R
I am really happy to meet you all

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 12:46:42 »
thank for review ;D
 i use filco .Hopefully next time I have the opportunity to experience LEOPOLD 750R
Filco is enough  :thumb:
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 12:31:26 »
FILCO was great in it's hayday but these days I honestly see and or feel no difference between them and entry level priced GANSS G.S 87's.  Nothing about them is new unique or good value, the stock keycaps are crap, the build quality is about average these days..and they are dreadfully over priced.  I really can't see any reason to recommend them any longer with all the brands available now with better features/Caps/Support/pricing or at least equal or better build quality. 

TLDR:  FILCO was great when we had little selection and mech boards were not huge it was a brand you could trust.  Years later they have no innovated or improved pricing or value added to their boards and no longer lead or even come close to the top of the pack anymore.

My two cents of what comes to mind whenever I see someone recommend FILCO in 2017.  Given the current market right now FILCO's should be sold at a maximum of around $79.99 US to even be considered a decent value anymore.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 February 2017, 12:36:02 by LiquidEvilGaming »
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline dante

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 09:40:15 »
You guys crack me up.  I see photos of gaming workstations containing the latest graphic cards, multiple monitors, glow effects inside the PC case, Recaro gaming chair, dozens of mice, etc...; and then it's like "this keyboard is $20-$30 more ... OVERPRICED!"  :p

I feel the Filco is worth it for what it's not.  You pay a little more but it's not another "ME TOO" RGB rave light show.  It doesn't have good keycaps but hey, if you are going to blow stacks on graphic cards and monitors a keyset isn't going to set you back any.

Mechanical keyboards are not a necessity: They are a luxury.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:18:39 »
You guys crack me up.  I see photos of gaming workstations containing the latest graphic cards, multiple monitors, glow effects inside the PC case, Recaro gaming chair, dozens of mice, etc...; and then it's like "this keyboard is $20-$30 more ... OVERPRICED!"  :p

I feel the Filco is worth it for what it's not.  You pay a little more but it's not another "ME TOO" RGB rave light show.  It doesn't have good keycaps but hey, if you are going to blow stacks on graphic cards and monitors a keyset isn't going to set you back any.

:thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

Exactly
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More