Author Topic: New DSI Modular w/blue or brown Cherries  (Read 7758 times)

Offline chucknobucks

New DSI Modular w/blue or brown Cherries
« on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 14:23:04 »
Hello...Great forum. Lots of info, so here's some payback... While sniffing out another SMK-85U before they can't be found anywhere, I was talking with Karl Kipp from DSI in Glendale, Arizona.

He informed me that DSI is bringing out a new model this July or August that will be available with your choice of blue Cherries or brown Cherries that is modular construction. You'll be able to add or delete to the the left or right of the keyboard a keypad, trackball, or gamepad.

http://www.notestation.com/kb-modmac-u.htm

Oh yeah, he had two demo SMK-85 USB models that were refurbed demo units. I took one, so in case anyone is interested in the other:

karl@dsi-usa.com
(877) 548-7003

Offline zerogravitas

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 14:26:35 »
I'm very interested!  I just emailed him. :)

The modular thinger looks intriguing.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 14:59:25 »
For those that were interested in the SMK-88's with the blue's, this should be welcome news.  Looks like ashort won't like the layout though.  :)

I probably won't buy one, but I'd love to see one in person.  Who has preordered?

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 21:05:48 »
It's just pre-order, so there's still hope that they DON'T put the Mac controls down the left side of the keyboard.  

There's little to no hope that I can adjust to homing my hands to the nubs on "d" and "k" instead of the left Control key.  =-D
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 21:56:46 »
There is no place on their order page to indicate which switch you want. Call me a skeptic, because I am skeptical of this.

Offline chucknobucks

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 22:14:24 »
I didn't see any choice option on the order page either. The keyswitch choice was referenced to me by Karl Kipp at DSI in a telephone conversation about the SMK-85. Best to email or call to be sure. If I do buy, I'll wait until I see some feedback & reviews.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 22:24:35 »
I'm not going to buy one. I have my next keyboard picked out - now all I have to do is save money.

Damn, babies are expensive.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 23:30:20 »
Quote from: xsphat;6597
I'm not going to buy one. I have my next keyboard picked out - now all I have to do is save money.

Damn, babies are expensive.

What are you getting next? ;)
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 July 2008, 00:14:08 »
Because I love this Northgate as much as I do for it's steel bottom, build quality and the clicky white Alps switches, I am buying the Avant Prime and I'm done. I would just stick with this Northgate but it has some issues; my machine HATES it - takes up to several minutes for the LEDs to stop blinking (a.k.a. when it actually starts registering key strokes) after a restart, the tilda key switch is cracked in half (still works, just wobbles like a Tactile Pro 2 (hehe)), and it shows it's age so I can't put all my trust in it. It needs to be refurbed at least.

And I say I'm done because I am going completely minimalist with my desk. I already live minimalist - have since I've forever -, so this really isn't too much of a jump for me. My computer, which I bought because of it's portability, now is huge and weighs more than my car. This sucks, because while I use all the ****, I don't really need it. This drive's me F'ing nuts and always has.

So yeah, I'm getting rid of everything I don't NEED. As for keyboards, I am keeping a couple. As a minimalist, there is no more perfect keyboard than the HHKB Pro 2, so that one stays. The HHKB Lite 2 stays at work, The Avant will be my main keyboard, this Northgate will get refurbed and kept as a backup (that's awesome). A little bird said there's an MK96 being sent to me, which I will keep because they are nice and I'll have a stock of Alps keyboards for the next 30-40 years.

Offline Skarekrow

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 July 2008, 08:02:33 »
Any news on the Topre Realforce 86 and 103? Im still waiting out for a Realforce 86.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 July 2008, 17:53:08 »
Are steel bases really that rare these days?  My old Logitech (about 10 years old) rubber dome keyboard has a heavy steel base-plate, but while it was called "Deluxe" back then, it doesn't have any functionality above a $5 keyboard of today - well, apart from build quality, and that wasn't even a selling point at the time

Offline rodney

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 July 2008, 18:15:40 »
Quote from: xsphat;6600
Because I love this Northgate as much as I do for it's steel bottom, build quality and the clicky white Alps switches, I am buying the Avant Prime and I'm done.

I was interested in trying out an Alps board. Do you know how the CVT Avant Prime/Stellar compares to the original Northgate Omnikey?

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 July 2008, 18:17:32 »
I think he'll find out when he gets it.

Anyway, yes, steel baseplates are very rare in keyboards nowadays - just go to any new Dell or HP, and look at the crap that comes with it. Or, go to your nearest office or electronics store, and look at the keyboards there.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 July 2008, 20:53:57 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;6616
Are steel bases really that rare these days?  My old Logitech (about 10 years old) rubber dome keyboard has a heavy steel base-plate, but while it was called "Deluxe" back then, it doesn't have any functionality above a $5 keyboard of today - well, apart from build quality, and that wasn't even a selling point at the time

There are only two keyboard companies that use with a steel bottom - the Deck keyboards and the CVT 'boards.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 July 2008, 20:54:38 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;6619
I think he'll find out when he gets it.

Yes I will, and I'll do a comparison review of them.

Offline zetan

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 July 2008, 01:16:27 »
this looks like a nice keyboard. i remember having talked with
karl a while ago where he mentioned this modular keyboard, but i
didn't know customers could pick blues & browns inside.  key
layout isn't clear, but it looks like it's almost the same as smk-88.

one thing I dont like about it though is its wasted non-key
spaces on both right and left sides.  i think i'll skip this one and
wait for realforce 86.

Skarekrow,
it'll probably be released sometime in september.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 July 2008, 01:42:21 »
Quote from: zetan;6631

What are you basing this on?

Offline zetan

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 July 2008, 01:49:51 »
Quote from: xsphat;6632
What are you basing this on?

apparently, someone in korea contacted topre in an email and a topre
salesman answered him by saying something like: "it'll be
released in or around September".

Offline Skarekrow

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 July 2008, 03:32:40 »
Quote from: zetan;6631

Skarekrow,

Cool. Well that gives me time to save up for it then ^_^.

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 July 2008, 16:32:48 »
I think the layout is fine for the DSI, nice idea for keeping the numpad in place when it is used. However I don't think i'll ever get used to function keys next to my precious "enter" key, I always mistake pg up/pg dn on my Cherry G84-4100. So I would still rather have a more squarer keyboard where they are placed on top rather than the side. The directional keys are in a fine place, so i have no problem about them. I haven't still understood why the hhkb pro2 is soo highly sought after here other than its minimalism and configurability. I think if DSI made this keyboard in a european layout they would expand their market more either way though.
Since the DSI uses mx keyboards you can just get four keys to replace the wierd apple d,k for the usual f,j index finger keycaps.

Also xsphat are you giving up on cherry mechanical and buckling spring keys now and going solely capacitor and alps, are you sure you won't miss them and buy them back up again?
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline iMav

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 July 2008, 18:03:38 »
Quote from: Eclairz;6640
I haven't still understood why the hhkb pro2 is soo highly sought after here other than its minimalism and configurability.

IMHO, the key layout is perfect.  I feel like I am actually MISSING keys with other keyboards.  All the media keys, function keys, arrow keys, etc are so intelligently placed that I barely realize I am hitting the function modifier key to utilize them.  It all seems so...natural.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 17 July 2008, 19:33:34 »
Quote from: Eclairz;6640
Also xsphat are you giving up on cherry mechanical and buckling spring keys now and going solely capacitor and alps, are you sure you won't miss them and buy them back up again?

I've tried all the Cherry switches Americans can get their hands on and I don' think they are my thing. I've given them all a chance to allow me to get up to the speeds I'm used to with Alps and Capacitive switches but I have never been able to. The browns and blues feel good to me, but not as good as the others.

The buckling springs are a different story. I have a Model M, just don't use it that often. I find the M is great for writing noir and really gritty stuff, so I think I will keep that one around, just not in my normal rotation. I can type really fast on the M, and I may replace it with a Unicomp 'board someday.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 July 2008, 10:18:56 »
I thought the Déck baseplate was aluminum? :confused:

Anyway, most keyboards have very, very little metal in them at all (and the only metal there for structural or tactile purposes is usually in the screws that hold it together.) At least the (plastic-backplated) Unicomp boards have the membrane attached to a steel plate inside, and of course the buckling springs are metal.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 July 2008, 14:44:55 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;6669
I thought the Déck baseplate was aluminum? :confused:

Anyway, most keyboards have very, very little metal in them at all (and the only metal there for structural or tactile purposes is usually in the screws that hold it together.) At least the (plastic-backplated) Unicomp boards have the membrane attached to a steel plate inside, and of course the buckling springs are metal.

The baseplate is aluminum. And the circuit board that the switches sit on are screwed directly to the plate. Which gives the board a somewhat undesirable metal "ping" sound when the key bounce back to their idle position.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline chucknobucks

DSI Modular Mac keyswitch follow-up
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 July 2008, 18:01:06 »
I had to follow-up on the keyswitch issue just for my own curiosity. Here's the reply from George Tsai, the designer:

"Charles,

Thanks for the email inquiry on the modular keyboard.

The modular keyboard will be available with Blue (tactile) or Brown  (low force, linear).  The production will begin at the end of this month.  We will update the website with the different switches options once the keyboard arrives the warehouse.  ETA is the end of August.

I will keep you inform by email on the product available date.

George Tsai
DS International, Inc.
5255 W. Phelps Road Ste. 4
Glendale AZ 85306
Tel: 602-548-7003
Fax: 602-548-7004
george@dsi-usa.com"

Now, if "tactile" means "clickey", I don't need any more info. However, I thought the brown cherries were slightly clickey too, only less resistance to the keystroke. Oh, well. Take the blues and leave the browns.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 18 July 2008, 23:11:44 »
The Deck 'boards sound even less desirable to me now.

Cool about the DSI 'board too.

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 20 July 2008, 06:15:45 »
Just wondering about Deck boards again is it possible to swap some blue cherries into them? As they have black MX keys but they have some special LED arrangement?
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline Skarekrow

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 20 July 2008, 07:10:34 »
Quote from: Eclairz;6713
Just wondering about Deck boards again is it possible to swap some blue cherries into them? As they have black MX keys but they have some special LED arrangement?

Well it's possible, but according to Deck, you have to unsolder the LEDs, then unsolder or open the switch to swap with either the blue cherries or the slides respectively. Then you have to re-solder each LED back on in the right orientation individually.

Im still not quite sure what they were thinking when they decided to choose the blacks over the other browns, whites or blues though. Not that they would differ hugely in cost or anything.

Offline chucknobucks

DSI Modular Mac keyswitch choice
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 02 August 2008, 00:16:02 »
I received an email from DSI this week confirming that the webpage for the Modular Mac now has a pull-down menu at the bottom of the page to choose either blue or brown Cherries for the Keyboard and/or Keypad.

Same link as in the original thread:
http://www.notestation.com/kb-modmac-u.htm

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 02 August 2008, 06:56:52 »
Wow...the cheapest brown cherry keyboard around (at $89 for pre-orders) and it's built for Mac.  I think I have to buy one of those.  Although it looks like it comes with my least favorite layout of the new SMK-88...function keys down the left side.  The may be a deal breaker.  It's why I don't use my smk-88 anymore.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 03 August 2008, 09:06:06 »
Quote from: ashort;7053
Wow...the cheapest brown cherry keyboard around (at $89 for pre-orders) and it's built for Mac.  I think I have to buy one of those.  Although it looks like it comes with my least favorite layout of the new SMK-88...function keys down the left side.  The may be a deal breaker.  It's why I don't use my smk-88 anymore.

Learn to type and it'll be a non-issue for you.  ;)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 03 August 2008, 14:01:04 »
Nah...
Andrew

Offline sugar

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 04 August 2008, 23:25:04 »
I'm not ready to add a small keyboard yet, but kudos to DSI for making another mechanical keyboard that's available in the US... the more the merrier.

Offline Xen_DeKhra

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 08:58:36 »
I put in my order for the keyboard yesterday around noon.  And around 6 or 7, I got a call from someone there letting me know that the keyboard was still about 30 days off from being shipped due to the Olympics.  He made sure that I still wanted the keyboard, which I did.  And we continued to talk a bit about it; I had asked about the different add-ons that would be coming out, and he had mentioned a Treo dock(that's what I heard at least) and a trackpad, I'm not sure if he meant the trackball or something else.  But I also asked about what the gamepad was going to look like, as I'm considering purchasing that when it comes out.  He had said that he wasn't sure about it, but he was going to try to get some layout documents from the manufacturer in Taiwan and he was going to send them over to me.

I just thought that was pretty cool, as I've never actually had a company call and make sure that I still wanted their product even though it is still going to ship.  Also the sending me layout docs for the gamepad is pretty cool.  If anyone is interested, I can post them here once I get them. :)

Offline iMav

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 06 August 2008, 09:00:44 »
Quote from: Xen_DeKhra;7140
Also the sending me layout docs for the gamepad is pretty cool.  If anyone is interested, I can post them here once I get them. :)

Of COURSE we are interested!  ;)