Author Topic: What grease should I use on a silicon-dome keyboard  (Read 2306 times)

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
What grease should I use on a silicon-dome keyboard
« on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 15:09:37 »
I have a Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 keyboard that suffers what most MS keyboards suffer: key bind. When the keyboard was new I could fly over the keys but now if I hit just a little off-center they bind. I've disassembled and cleaned, but that did not help. So I figure that I'd lube them.

Silicon lube did not help, and I'm wary of using graphite (might short out the innards if it gets around) or petroleum-based lube (might eat the plastic). I read online to use Super Lube Dry Film spray which is PTFE-based but it is unavailable where I live. I can get other PTFE lubes but they are expensive (half the price of a keyboard) and I don't know if they will work.

I'd like to repair this keyboard instead of replace it as it is heavily modded. For instance, I cut the silicon domes so that they require less pressure to press. I could take the silicon sheet to the new keyboard, I suppose, but in any case I'd rather keep lubing than buying new keyboards.

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 February 2011, 15:15:58 »
Thanks, Ripster, I've already tried that too! It makes the keys actually stick a bit.

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 06:41:05 »
I think that I have a breakthrough! I put a sliver of Teflon tape (that used for connecting plumbing) against one edge of the key (not all the way around). This seems thick enough to take up the play introduced after months of typing, and prevents the key from twisting and therefore binding in the cylinder. Lets see if it holds up...