Author Topic: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Axios [In Development]  (Read 661445 times)

Offline XNine

Re: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Nexus [In Development]
« Reply #1450 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 14:58:49 »
I've been hunting for a replacement for my Logitech G13.  This looks like it could be the ticket if I can just order and use the left hand board.  Cherry switches will be a nice change from the G13 to game on.

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #1451 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 19:15:38 »
I'm curious too as to how you might go about implementing the bowled keypads.
I'm curious too. I see only two options:
* doing it like Kinesis with a bent PCB (they have a patent for this but it may be expired now)
* doing it like Maltron and that means hand wiring the matrix

I'm trying the Maltron approach here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61323.msg1423071#msg1423071
I'm considering taking the individual key PCBs I've already designed for testing, and looking at doing something similar to the FPC connectors I'm using now. Failing that, I'll probably take the Kinesis route since the cost of flex PCBs has come down quite a bit.

Hey Acidfire, are you going to be near Grande Prairie at any time in the near to distant future?
I'd love to have a longing look at one of these setups!
Unfortunately nothing that I'm aware of, but I do have family in both Edmonton and Fort Mac so if that changes I'll let you know :)

Can you clarify something on the switches AcidFire: I love Mattias' switches and their design; will these MX compatible switches produced by them use the same design as Mattias' switches except with a MX stem or is it a clone of a MX switch entirely, eschewing Mattias' switch designs entirely? Assuming it uses Mattias' design, will it be the quiet click or click based type? Also, do you know when/if Mattias will sell just the MX compatible switches themselves? I would love to order some of them myself if possible.

This is has been answered several times in the thread. Last time *5* posts above you. People, learn to read, please.
Actually, the post above mostly deals with the form factor and the actuation force. Yakitysax seems interested in the innards (clicky, tactile, etc.).

-snip-
Unfortunately, we're still in the same state with the switches until I can fund the development of them. I will say however that the final board supports both Cherry & Matias existing footprints, so no matter what the outcome is with the custom switches, we still have plenty to fall back on. As for the custom switches themselves, the plan is for them to debut with me/Multiplxd to start, but we'll also be selling them seperately from the boards at the same prices you can currently get them at (unless there's an unforseen premium from Matias). So don't worry, you'll be able to get ahold of them.

Sorry for the question if it has been already asked (too many pages...) : will this baby come with backlighting? was looking for the backlit pcb for the ergodox but hey, this will do just as fine, and when will we be able to purchase? (my keyboard is dead so....)
additionnal : do i need to run a software on my computer or is the code within a ship or something? ( cannot launch anything during exam, just wanna know if i can bring it or not)
Thanks!
Yes it will. Currently it's single color, though with the new switch design and a transparent housing, RGB is very much a possibility. In the meantime I'm currently exploring options with bicolor 3mm LEDs as well as the flat 5mm RGB which are damn close to fitting the standard cherry profile.

Hey I tried to sign up for your other forum it keeps giving me the same errors:

Sorry, you must wait longer to create an account.
Something went wrong. Please try again or contact the administrator.

Anyway, I'm super excited about your project having recently stumbled upon it. I'm curious too as to how you might go about implementing the bowled keypads. Anyway keep up the good work and I'm soon at some point I'll be gleefully hurling a small pile of money in your direction just as soon as you give us the chance.

Sincerely yours
I'll have to look to see if I can tweak that error message, basically you'll get it when trying to register a common/normal name as that's spambot 101. If you happen to get this message be patient as I have to approve accounts on a case by case basis.

I've been hunting for a replacement for my Logitech G13.  This looks like it could be the ticket if I can just order and use the left hand board.  Cherry switches will be a nice change from the G13 to game on.
For simplicity's sake we were looking at only offering full kits (as was recommended to me by experience crowd funding folk) for the initial campaign, but we've had so many requests for single sides that we're now looking at how we'll do it, ie kit only, assembled only, etc etc. But we'll do what we can to make it happen.

I've gone through most of the pages in this thread but I couldn't find a crowd funding page link. I'm definitely interested in getting a kit or two.
Not yet... I think AcidFire is really adamant about having a device as close to perfect as possible before launching the funding campaign. A lot of people here must be longing for the campaign to start, but if he need the time to do some final tweakings, let be it.

Still, can't wait ^_^
I should clarify, I'm not chasing perfect, just reasonable (and manufacturable!) ;). I've seen far too many people release projects too early in the development cycle resulting in hostility towards the project by the final release and general negativity towards the guys producing it. When it's finally up for funding, it's because I have everything lined up and I know without some kind of act-of-god disaster, I can deliver when I promise (or sooner).

Also, I feel horrible that I haven't been able to update since getting back from vacation, it's been a busy couple of weeks to say the least. First, for those of you who were hoping to sit down with me and the prototype while I was in Seattle & Portland, I'm so sorry I missed you. As I was gently reminded by my better half, I was suppose to be relaxing and taking a little bit of a break before diving back into the home stretch when we got back (you should have seen the look I got when I suggested a meetup on my birthday).

However, when I was visiting with my friend in Seattle he was able to finally provide me with the parts for the 3D printed full size prototype:
[img]http://axios.io/exports/forums/3d-proto-73.jpg[/img[

I've also received the newest revisions of the IO boards (USB & I2C) that fit this case properly and I'm currently working to get them populated so that I can get a full prototype up and running for testing. (Will upload pics later tonight.)

I'm also currently struggling a little bit with the wrist rest when the board is tented, since to doesn't have it's own support it becomes a point of leverage which off balances the unit. I have a couple of different solutions I'm drafting and testing.

Lastly, on top of all this development work, I'll be showing at the Calgary Mini Maker Faire this weekend (Sept 6-7) and the Portland Mini Maker Faire in the Crowd Supply booth the following weekend (Sept 13-14).

Oh and JEEP I'm terribly sorry that I wasn't able to catch up with you on my way back through Seattle, and to Koren and the rest who have been awesome in helping to answer questions in my absence, you guys rock :D

Offline FiskFisk33

« Reply #1452 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 07:11:34 »
is there any date set for the campaign? or at least any guesses?  :D

Offline jeep

« Reply #1453 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 01:23:11 »
No real guesses from the masses, I think. It's close, though. As long as perfection doesn't defeat good enough...

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1454 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 01:40:50 »
No real guesses from the masses, I think. It's close, though. As long as perfection doesn't defeat good enough...
With you on that one, Arthur C Clark's short story Superiority says it rather well.

This isn't meant as a slight to anyone, just a comment on the previous post.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline jeep

« Reply #1455 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 02:15:39 »
I talked to Acidfire briefly, I don't think it will... It does sound like he wants to ensure that everything is ready for production before starting up the campaign, though.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #1456 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 04:44:21 »
I talked to Acidfire briefly, I don't think it will... It does sound like he wants to ensure that everything is ready for production before starting up the campaign, though.
Haste makes waste. And if I understood Acidfire correctly on the Axios forum, he is really aiming at making a good campaign with some extras.

Offline jeep

« Reply #1457 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 22:33:22 »
Agreed... but then you can also say "the early bird gets the worm"

The Matias Ergo Pro isn't nearly as cool, but it is likely to be out first... Although, it is easy to argue that is a different market.

-JEEP
Joe Peterson

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #1458 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 00:45:49 »
Agreed... but then you can also say "the early bird gets the worm"

The Matias Ergo Pro isn't nearly as cool, but it is likely to be out first... Although, it is easy to argue that is a different market.

-JEEP
Joe Peterson

The Matias Ergo Pro uses a staggered layout, which is NOT ergonomic at all.  It also doesn't tent as much as I'd like.  It also doesn't do anything to lessen the work of your pinky fingers.  Finally, I've read Amazon reviews of their other keyboards, and got the impression there were some quality control issues (one person received three bad keyboards in a row) compounded by lackluster customer support (users never receiving a response from support or getting bad info), which would make me hesitate to buy a keyboard from them. 

I'm more concerned with AcidFire having competition from Keyboard.io, although they're also still at the drawing board from the looks of things.  Showed what looked like a finished design in aluminium and wood, but I later read the aluminum was a no-go, because it made the keyboard as heavy as an entire laptop. Whoops!  The somewhat butterfly shape might also be a bit of a tough sell (for men, at least).
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1459 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 02:19:28 »
The Matias Ergo Pro uses a staggered layout, which is NOT ergonomic at all.  It also doesn't tent as much as I'd like.  It also doesn't do anything to lessen the work of your pinky fingers.  Finally, I've read Amazon reviews of their other keyboards, and got the impression there were some quality control issues (one person received three bad keyboards in a row) compounded by lackluster customer support (users never receiving a response from support or getting bad info), which would make me hesitate to buy a keyboard from them.
For what it’s worth, this is contrary to my experience or the experience of other people I know. I think Matias’s build quality is in general quite solid, and their customer support is pretty friendly and willing to do what they can to make things right when problems arise. Edgar Matias himself is very accessible via twitter and email, and is active in soliciting feedback and discussion here on Geekhack.

I'm more concerned with AcidFire having competition from Keyboard.io, although they're also still at the drawing board from the looks of things.  Showed what looked like a finished design in aluminium and wood, but I later read the aluminum was a no-go, because it made the keyboard as heavy as an entire laptop. Whoops!  The somewhat butterfly shape might also be a bit of a tough sell (for men, at least).
Why “concerned”? Seems like the more good options there are for people to get more comfortable typing experiences, the better. Between the Maltron, the Kinesis Advantage, keyboard.io, the Matias ErgoPro, the Truly Ergonomic, the Ergodox, etc., there is suddenly a great variety of options for people with different hand shapes and preferences. I think the whole ergonomic keyboard market has lots of room to expand, and giving people more options (some fully scuplted, some programmable, some portable, some similar to standard keyboards, some with many extra keys, some with few keys) helps ensure that customers looking to avoid injuries and improve comfort and efficiency can find something that works for them.

My expectation is that both keyboard.io and this Axios project are going to discover that manufacturing and distributing things at scale is a lot harder than it seems from outside, and costs a lot. I hope they both make it to market, and ASAP, but I wouldn’t be too surprised if it takes both of them at least another 8–12 months to ship a product, or if their products end up in the $200–300 range.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 September 2014, 02:28:33 by jacobolus »

Offline Koren

« Reply #1460 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 06:00:35 »
The Matias Ergo Pro uses a staggered layout, which is NOT ergonomic at all.
I think that a staggered layout can be ergonomic (to some extent) if you don't use it the usual way (and remap it), as long as the left part is modified to be a mirror version of the right part.

I'll try to explain: if you have a classic keyboard, staggered, put your right hand on J-I-O-P. The shape is quite close to the relative lenght of fingers, and your hand points inwards, which is also good. The fact that the keyboard is staggered is ideal in the sense that now that your hand points inwards, U-8-9-0 and M-K-L-, (or something like that on a qwerty, I use a strange layout) are directly up and down.

There's a near match between the right part of a staggered keyboard and an Ergodox, if you can see what I mean.

But in fact, I could even live with a staggered keyboard using the usual position (J-K-L-,) for the right hand. It's the left one that is just awful.

The problem is... you can't do this on the right side because of the fact that the keyboard isn't symmetric.

That could be just a random thought, but actually, there is at least one staggered keyboard *with symmetry* : the µTron.

There's a lot of interesting tricks in this one, especially when you look at the keys profiles (such as the thumb ones):

I could have been interested in it, should it have been in the ~150$ range. But at three time the price, I think that there's better alternatives.

Especially the one we're all waiting here ^_^ (I want news, too ^_^)

(The Keyboard.io solution is nice, too, but I prefer a two-part keyboard, tentable, not fond of the thumb keys, and there's not enough keys for my taste as a programmer, and worse, one that also use often accentuated characters... But as far as design is concerned, it's one of the nicest variations on ergonomic keyboards, and it probably feels far better than most commercial alternatives. Pretty sure there's enough interest for both projects to find enough happy typists)
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 September 2014, 15:43:39 by Koren »

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #1461 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 20:51:19 »
Just awesome! I cannot wait to empty my wallet frequently in acidfire' general direction. I hope lots of different modules come out over time.

Offline dshk

« Reply #1462 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 20:18:03 »
I am happy that I found this keyboard. As far as I see, there are no alternatives of it. It has many keys which is good for coding and accented characters, it has a matrix layout, 3D shape and it is programmable.

I am using Kinesis Advantage, which is very comfortable, programmable, but it has very few keys: after adding the accented characters I need, I left with only three symbols (, . ; ), and when I design a layout, I have to choose between good layout for system administration or for coding, not both.

Maltron is 3D and matrix. But while it has many additional keys, these are not accessible without moving my entire hand (I do not have one, I just look at its photos). It has full value function keys, so if you use them rarely, they can be reused. The deal-breaker is that it is not programmable.

Ergodox has a matrix layout and it is programmable. But it is not 3D and it has relatively few keys.

And so on. Regarding price, I believe that the keyboard is one of my most importart tool. Even if it costs $500 (which is not true) that would be still less than the price of a single good monitor.
Kinesis Advantage since 2008

Offline conandy

« Reply #1463 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 01:14:54 »
Hey, guys.  As I just watched another Ergodox group buy pass me by on Massdrop, I was wondering how this project is going.  Haven't seen any updates in a few weeks, Acidfire.  How are things coming?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1464 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 05:37:12 »
Maltron is 3D and matrix. But while it has many additional keys, these are not accessible without moving my entire hand (I do not have one, I just look at its photos). It has full value function keys, so if you use them rarely, they can be reused. The deal-breaker is that it is not programmable.
It *is*, if you make a custom order. I think I've seen that option listed somewhere at their website.

Offline lavalamp

« Reply #1465 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 02:30:40 »
Is there a prospective key mapping for this keyboard?  In particular assuming a US-QWERTY style layout, where are the square bracket / curly brace keys located?

Any thought as to an additional column of pinky keys?  Yes, extra pinky keys are not ergonomic, but they are friendlier to a computer programmer with 35 years of QWERTY touch typing experience.  :)

With only 6 columns for the right hand, all these keys need to be relocated: equal/plus, backspace, closing square bracket/closing curly brace, backslash/pipe, enter and (assuming a 1.75u right shift) the extra function key.

But with 7 columns, this right hand layout is possible:

6 7 8 9 0 - =
y u i o p [ ]
h j k l ; ' <return>
n m , . / <shift> <function>

which would only require relocating the backspace (presumably to the thumb cluster) and backslash/pipe keys (perhaps immediately below the backquote/tilde key to the left of the Q key),  with 7 columns, the left hand layout could be this:

<ESC> ` 1 2 3 4 5
<TAB> \ q w e r t
<CTRL> a s d f g
<SHIFT> z x c v b

In the above left hand layout, <CTRL> and <SHIFT> would be at least 1.5u wide.

Offline dshk

« Reply #1466 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 07:21:14 »
With only 6 columns for the right hand, all these keys need to be relocated: equal/plus, backspace, closing square bracket/closing curly brace, backslash/pipe, enter and (assuming a 1.75u right shift) the extra function key.

I definitely not against more keys, because it adds flexibility, although only with very diminishing returns as the additional keys are hard to reach. But I assume that you never used a keyboard with a thumb section. Look at Maltron or Kinesis. The backspace and Enter keys have a very good place at the thumbs, it is much-much better, than on a convention non-thumb keyboard.

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #1467 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 07:42:31 »
the thumb clusters aren't just about space, enter, backspace & delete though. they're perfect for modifier keys, and with a decent programmable board that can include layer toggles too. so just by holding a thumb key down your entire board can be re-arranged. my ergodox setup gives me numpad and F keys with one button and a bunch of handy symbols and useful Vim keys with another. it keeps you nicely glued to the home keys :)

Offline Koren

« Reply #1468 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 09:00:53 »
Is there a prospective key mapping for this keyboard?
There's a forum to discuss layouts on the official forum, although it's quite quiet now.

There will probably be an "example" layout (at least for people new to ergonomics keyboards), but I'm pretty sure that many potential buyers have already their own layout, even on an ISO keyboard. Even US-QWERTY layouts are probably not so common, especially with Dvorak, Colemak and so on.

Most ergonomics keyboards are narrower, and if there is a need for a "default" layout, maybe being close to ergodox / typematrix / Maltron variation of QWERTY is the safest bet.

Any thought as to an additional column of pinky keys?  Yes, extra pinky keys are not ergonomic, but they are friendlier to a computer programmer with 35 years of QWERTY touch typing experience.  :)
As I said before, should it have been my own project, I would have put this additional column, just because after years of ISO-105 (with THREE columns at the right of the right pinkie column, even FOUR on laptops), I find having only one a bit unusual and a possible waste of options.

That being said, in practice, I don't think that's a big issue. The only key needing relocation on US-QWERTY is ]  (there's 7 keys on top row, so 6 7 8 9 0 ) = are OK, even if, as a programmer, I've put = elsewhere since years.

External keys like CAPSLOCK, TAB, BACKSPACE (or ESC) are probably better in the middle part of the keyboard or in the thumb cluster, so that release some pinkie keys on the sides. SHIFT/CTRL can be easier to reach with thumb, too.

In short : just put the ] } key where the ' is on the US-QWERTY, and put the ' " key where the TAB or CAPSLOCK is, and you're done.

It's a bit worse on ISO-105, like AZERTY, since you have to relocate both $ and *, but that's not awful either. Even considering that most people not using AZERTY also have a bunch of accentuated characters to put on the board.

That being said, this discussion on layouts is really interesting, and if you have time, please consider registering the axios forum so that we can discuss layouts there without bothering too much people here just waiting for news about the campaign (one of the reasons of the official forum is to allow layouts and firmware discussions)

And so on. Regarding price, I believe that the keyboard is one of my most importart tool. Even if it costs $500 (which is not true) that would be still less than the price of a single good monitor.
I agree, although there has been quite decent and cheap monitors. I stayed far away from LCD monitors for a long time because of color rendition, but recently, I've bought 22" eIPS from LG for ~150$ which are really, really good for their price (at least, as a monitor for work, heavy gaming may be an issue with the latency, but you can't get low latency AND good colors)

the thumb clusters aren't just about space, enter, backspace & delete though. they're perfect for modifier keys, and with a decent programmable board that can include layer toggles too. so just by holding a thumb key down your entire board can be re-arranged. my ergodox setup gives me numpad and F keys with one button and a bunch of handy symbols and useful Vim keys with another. it keeps you nicely glued to the home keys :)
Completely agree with that. And while I really, really don't like Vim (probably discovered it too late to change my habits to such a degree), I think having arrows near the center row is great, so I have indeed a layer with arrows + Page up/down + home + end on the center row/just above.

Layers can do wonders, anyway.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 October 2014, 10:07:11 by Koren »

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #1469 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 19:26:13 »
For what it’s worth, this is contrary to my experience or the experience of other people I know. I think Matias’s build quality is in general quite solid, and their customer support is pretty friendly and willing to do what they can to make things right when problems arise. Edgar Matias himself is very accessible via twitter and email, and is active in soliciting feedback and discussion here on Geekhack.
I'm surprised to hear this as well, given the excellent communication I've had with them. As for the staggered layout, from the conversation I had with them it basically comes down to the law of averages and as we've talked about time and again, makes for a less intimidating purchase for someone. Thankfully after meeting lots of people at the last couple of events, more and more people seem to be willing to make the change for their health :D

Why “concerned”? Seems like the more good options there are for people to get more comfortable typing experiences, the better. Between the Maltron, the Kinesis Advantage, keyboard.io, the Matias ErgoPro, the Truly Ergonomic, the Ergodox, etc., there is suddenly a great variety of options for people with different hand shapes and preferences. I think the whole ergonomic keyboard market has lots of room to expand, and giving people more options (some fully scuplted, some programmable, some portable, some similar to standard keyboards, some with many extra keys, some with few keys) helps ensure that customers looking to avoid injuries and improve comfort and efficiency can find something that works for them.

My expectation is that both keyboard.io and this Axios project are going to discover that manufacturing and distributing things at scale is a lot harder than it seems from outside, and costs a lot. I hope they both make it to market, and ASAP, but I wouldn’t be too surprised if it takes both of them at least another 8–12 months to ship a product, or if their products end up in the $200–300 range.
It's interesting you bring this up. I've met with Jesse & Kaia (Keyboard.io) and have talked with Steve (VP of Matias) and the common thought is that the more there is on the market, the better for everybody and the more likely you are to find something to fit your needs.

As for production, I can't speak for keyboard.io but I've been involved in bringing products to market before at scale both at work as well as assisting friends, and there's a reason I haven't pushed it to market yet ;) While there is always the potential for unexpected issues, I'm working hard to mitigate them out of the gate (having two backups for every manufacturer, for instance) and to keep the price as close to the projected mark as I can.

There's a forum to discuss layouts on the official forum, although it's quite quiet now.
I know I've been terrible for keeping the forums updated, I've been swamped at work and at home with development. I'll try to get on more ;)

There will probably be an "example" layout (at least for people new to ergonomics keyboards), but I'm pretty sure that many potential buyers have already their own layout, even on an ISO keyboard. Even US-QWERTY layouts are probably not so common, especially with Dvorak, Colemak and so on.

--snip--

That being said, this discussion on layouts is really interesting, and if you have time, please consider registering the axios forum so that we can discuss layouts there without bothering too much people here just waiting for news about the campaign (one of the reasons of the official forum is to allow layouts and firmware discussions)
+1 on this, and while I have been working on the default layouts I haven't quite finished yet. I'll try to share what I have so far soon so I can start collecting feedback.

I agree, but much of the original goals of this project were to help not only the developers/programmers/keyboard wizards out there, but the average office person as well who can't justify a $500~ board to HR (which is frightening tbh). That being said, there are a few upgrades down the road for those who are heavy keyboard users who want to invest more into their tools ;)

Hey, guys.  As I just watched another Ergodox group buy pass me by on Massdrop, I was wondering how this project is going.  Haven't seen any updates in a few weeks, Acidfire.  How are things coming?

Things are going pretty well I think. We had great turn outs at both the Calgary & Portland MMF, introducing more people to the concept and getting some great hands on feedback. Speaking of hands on, one of the things I've noticed from the last couple of shows, and even bringing the units out for friends, was that the built in tenting stand had way too much flex to it. So I took a second look at a concept I had originally scrapped:

This new stand is incredibly rigid, thanks in part to a small sliding part in the "kickstand":

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance yet to take pictures of it installed, but trust me when I say the stability is impressive and the flex has disappeared completely. Because there are fewer parts required, and the case itself no longer requires mounts for the stand, cost for both molds and parts is dropped quite nicely.

As things seem to on this project, this little breakthrough snowballed into another; the connecting piece. A couple posts back I shared a design I had for a modular connector between the two halves and while I liked the concept, there was too much going wrong in practice. With this new design however, I'm able to let the kickstands connect via a third piece which if the currently printed parts are any indication, is quite stable and mobile friendly:

(note that these parts are using an older connector piece, I have a new design in the works)

because some things are changing with the main case design, I haven't rigged up the ergo set with the rests & joints like I did with the straight setup:

Due to some circumstances at work, I currently don't have access to the 3D printer I've been using. While my friend will be sending me one of his production units in a few weeks (score!), I've ordered another printer that I can refit for dual extruder use that I expect to have on hand by the end of the week. This setup should let me build with proper support material which will result in nicer looking units, faster production of beta units for testers, and make it less likely that I'll end up sticking a knife in my hand again (yes, I've actually bled for this project).

Offline Koren

« Reply #1470 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 04:12:05 »
As for the staggered layout, from the conversation I had with them it basically comes down to the law of averages and as we've talked about time and again, makes for a less intimidating purchase for someone.
I think they could make at least a tiny step, and while keeping the staggered layout, making it symmetric. The staggered layout is really only awful for the left hand. There's no valid reason for having a non-symmetric layout, when we have symmetric hands.

Most of the time, some of the decisions the keyboard builders make no sense. For example, most of the time with split layouts, 'b' key is on the left side. While most users are right-handed and would feel the 'b' key more at ease on the right side.

I know I've been terrible for keeping the forums updated, I've been swamped at work and at home with development. I'll try to get on more ;)
Oh, I wasn't thinking about you at all when I was writing that. It's just that the layouts discussions will probably become more heated when we are closer to release. The fact that the forums are quite now is not a problem, I just wanted to warn him that replies could be a little slow, but I'm sure that several people beside me would still read his post there and reply.

I agree, but much of the original goals of this project were to help not only the developers/programmers/keyboard wizards out there, but the average office person as well who can't justify a $500~ board to HR (which is frightening tbh).
When keys can be close to 1$ and some manufacturers have to use tricks like bended circuits, I don't really find this frightening... But at this price, you'd want a product as close to perfect as possible: really good ergonomics, durability, good materials, customizable, etc.

As things seem to on this project, this little breakthrough snowballed into another; the connecting piece. (snip)
Seems really nice... Can't wait to see it real!

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #1471 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 15:32:55 »
SOOO happy to see how your project is progressing, AcidFire.   I am super excited to get my hands on one, but content to wait until it's ready. :)

With regards to various comments on my previous post:

I am not anti-Matias, which I'm afraid I may have come across as.  The worst feedback on Amazon was for Matias' Quiet Pro keyboard in particular - and of course, not everyone had bad things to say.  It could have simply been a bad batch, or (although it seems unlikely) competitors trying to hurt their reputation.  Still, the feedback was enough to concern me, especially since Matias didn't respond.  Given some of the complaints included bad customer service, one is more inclined to believe (which doesn't make it true), in the face of that lack of response.  Fair expectation or not or not, Matias would be wise to check out and respond to feedback on the Amazon site, since a lot of people go there to check out end user experiences for products - and yes, I realize they must be taken with a grain of salt.  Still, for perspective, I just put in a positive comment for a $12 laundry additive on Amazon and within an hour or two (!) got feedback from the manufacturer, telling me I didn't have to use it for every load, that I could stretch the product out so a bottle would last a year, and giving me tips on how best to avoid future laundry issues.  They gave me advice that would cause me to buy less of their product!!!  Who does that?  Now THAT is impressive as heck, especially since my post was singing the product's praises.

Koren, how a staggered layout could be finagled to create an ergonomic setup doesn't change the reality of the Matias Ergo Pro and its standard staggered layout.  Their Ergo Pro product is an admirable one, with several very positive changes when held against a standard keyboard layout.  If I didn't know about AcidFire's Axios keyboard and Keyboard.io, I would definitely have been inclined to jump on board.   Since I do know, I also know the Ergo Pro just doesn't do as much as it could - as much as I NEED.  In the very least, I (personally, for what little it's worth) think at least a symmetrically staggered layout (like the uTron that Koren mentioned) would have been a reasonable compromise in out-of-the-box usability vs. ergonomics.  People would only need to relearn touch typing for the left hand.

Maybe I'm unique, but from the perspective of THIS end user, if you're going to shell out $200 or more for an ergonomic keyboard, you're also willing to put up with some ramp-up time in getting used to that keyboard.  There are plenty of "safe" (and as cheap as $30) ergo boards out there already.  If I were too non-committal to be willing to make some changes in how I type to spare myself harm or discomfort, I imagine I'd be more inclined to go for one of those.   Also, in my particular case, my left pinky is my weakest, most problematic finger for typing (not that any of them are that great at this point), so this (and the more typical ergo boards) just wouldn't cut it for me as is; a symmetrical stagger or matrix keyboard layout would better accommodate my particular needs, which is well worth relearning/adjusting how to touch type.

As to my fears about Keyboard.io vs. AcidFire's product, I wasn't wishing ill of the Keyboard.io group, as I have been following their project with interest.  The chick in me also can't help that "ooohh, pretty!" reaction. lol  I was just worried (selfishly) that it might discourage AcidFire in some way.  Happy to see it doesn't/won't!  Not everyone "collects" keyboards, and these, of necessity, won't be cheap.  That said, depending upon final features and price (and how its release date corresponds with the Axios release date), I may find myself unable to resist getting a Keyboard.io as well - whether to keep me going until AcidFire's comes out, or as an alternate board at another computer/for use with tablets/laptops. We have enough computers and gadgets around the house that I can manage to justify it to myself within reason. lol  There's also the fact that the Axios was also supposed to be my birthday present (when crowd sourcing was estimated for July), so I could justify one as my belated birthday gift and the other as a Christmas gift. ;)

One last thought - AcidFire, you might consider changing the "Nexus" to "Axios" in the thread title to get more brand awareness going.  I must shamefully confess that I had to look up the current keyboard name, as I had forgotten it.

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 October 2014, 15:35:58 by kittykatmax »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1472 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 16:20:06 »
I think they could make at least a tiny step, and while keeping the staggered layout, making it symmetric. The staggered layout is really only awful for the left hand. There's no valid reason for having a non-symmetric layout, when we have symmetric hands.
There’s a perfectly valid reason: it’s what people are used to.

But anyway, the staggered layout is really awful for both hands; a hand is not shaped like a rectangle or a parallelogram.

Most of the time, some of the decisions the keyboard builders make no sense. For example, most of the time with split layouts, 'b' key is on the left side. While most users are right-handed and would feel the 'b' key more at ease on the right side.
'B' is equally far from both home row positions. There’s no a priori obvious side for it to be on. However, typing schools have been teaching people to use their left index finger for the 'B' key for almost a century now, so if one side has to be picked, we might as well follow convention.

The one that annoys me is the '6' key, which is clearly closer to the left hand, but often gets stuck on the right side of a split keyboard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 October 2014, 16:26:43 by jacobolus »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1473 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 17:04:42 »
'B' is equally far from both home row positions. There’s no a priori obvious side for it to be on. However, typing schools have been teaching people to use their left index finger for the 'B' key for almost a century now, so if one side has to be picked, we might as well follow convention.
Not almost a century, but over 130 years now. Striking TGB with the left index finger and YHN with the right one is already recommended in Ms. Longley's Type-writer lessons (1882).

Offline Koren

« Reply #1474 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 17:23:38 »
Koren, how a staggered layout could be finagled to create an ergonomic setup doesn't change the reality of the Matias Ergo Pro and its standard staggered layout.
I fully agree with this (and with most, if not all, of the rest of your post, in fact).

There’s a perfectly valid reason: it’s what people are used to.
From a commercial point of view, I agree, it's a perfectly valid one. I was speaking of "valid" reasons that doesn't involve habits. Should have been more clear on that.

I don't expect "classic" keyboards disappearing anytime soon, but there is a market for ergonomics keyboards, and when you're ready to sell a split keyboard (or mechanical touch keyboard), you could sometimes consider a slight change in the staggering (at least, an inward staggering is better than an outward one, and most people won't even notice the change at first glance on a split keyboard). I'd say that Matias products don't really compete with the "standardized" keyboard you buy in a supermarket.

But I fully agree that consumer habits plays a great part in commercial choices. Or we would have seen some changes in layouts... even if I don't think you'll type much more quickly on a dvorak after training, a good layout is still more confortable.

Just to be clear, I'm not fond of Dvorak per se, it's just an example... for example, I kind of prefer roll over strict alternating hands, because when I play music, alternating hands is always harder to perform at high speed than rolls. And classic layouts are NOT random or even worse designed to slow down typing... they're just designed so that the top row is used more often

'B' is equally far from both home row positions. There’s no a priori obvious side for it to be on.
That's true, but right-handed people usually flex far more easily their right forefinger inwards than their left one (it's a thing that bothered me a bit when I used a split keyboard for the first time, and when I discussed this with other people, I haven't found many counter-example of this).

But I think you're right for the reason:
However, typing schools have been teaching people to use their left index finger for the 'B' key for almost a century now, so if one side has to be picked, we might as well follow convention.
Indeed, except that's not a universal rule. Most "schools" suggest this, though.

The problem: that's for a stupid reason (even if it's a 130-years old one). And linked to the staggered layout. They decided that Z was under A (little finger), thus V under F (forefinger)... and so B is next to V like N is next to M, so it "makes sense" to reach B with left forefinger (I hope I get this right for QWERTY layout, I don't use it).

But with this, when you move your right hand to the bottom row, it moves outwards. With these rules on the left hand, it moves inwards. That doesn't make sense, and it's one of the reasons staggered layout are even more awful (the simple fact that people can't agree on which finger should be used for a given key is a very bad sign).

Some schools make Z under S (ring finger), C under F (forefinger), and B a "neutral" key that can be reached with the more apt hand.

Yes, habits, I know...

The one that annoys me is the '6' key, which is clearly closer to the left hand, but often gets stuck on the right side of a split keyboard.
Yes, I agree, and it's for the very same reason : over F is R, over R is 4 (left forefinger). Over J is U, over U is 7 (right forefinger). If you ignore the staggering when you set the finger rules, 6 becomes "closer" to the right forefinger.

And yes, that's stupid.

I prefer this finger placement :

Which is not the most common one found in schools, indeed (but not unkown either because it's the one my mother learned in typing class), but it makes B neutral and 6 at worse neutral, but rather leaning to the left side.

That being said, we're driving the thread away from its purpose. Keyboards such as the one we're waiting here solve those issues. One more reason to be eager to get one ^_^

And by the way, I thinking about rewriting a typing tutor for Axios (one that can support any layout), so that I can get used to it quickly, except if there's good ones for ergodox that could work... I'm not sure what are the most efficient strategies for training, though, so if anyone here has ideas on this and want to share them, or are interested in such a project, I'd welcome any suggestions (although probably not in this thread, the Axios forums are probably a better place for this)

Not almost a century, but over 130 years now. Striking TGB with the left index finger and YHN with the right one is already recommended in Ms. Longley's Type-writer lessons (1882).
As I said above, I know, and I disagree with TGB being a column that should be reached on the left forefinger. And some typing schools also disagree.

There's a bit of things that were teached in 1880 that have been revised in the century that followed, this could be another one ^_^
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 October 2014, 17:30:47 by Koren »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1475 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 18:12:31 »
If you try to map out what’s easily reachable on a standard keyboard, you get a picture something along the lines of:

Both Y and B are pretty bad, as are return, backwards delete (“backspace”), right shift, right bracket, backslash, escape, backtick, tab, 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, minus, plus, both ctrl keys, both windows/meta keys, right alt, all the F keys, all the "navigation keys", and to some extent the P key and the bottom row on the left (Z, X, C).

For what it’s worth both the Ergodox and the Axios also have insufficient stagger between columns and a bunch of somewhat unreachable keys. (But of course they are quite a bit better than a standard keyboard.) Using a totally flat keycap profile like DSA makes this problem worse; I would advise anyone with an Ergodox or similar board to use sculpted keycaps.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 October 2014, 18:42:37 by jacobolus »

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #1476 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 11:28:28 »

Ironically, it was when I first started using an "ergonomic" keyboard (Microsoft Natural) that I was forced to start using the right hand for the 6.  Now I've stuck with that stupid habit ever since.

Offline Koren

« Reply #1477 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 12:12:43 »
Ironically, it was when I first started using an "ergonomic" keyboard (Microsoft Natural) that I was forced to start using the right hand for the 6.  Now I've stuck with that stupid habit ever since.
There is an "ergonomic" keyboard from Microsoft with the "6" on the right side?

From the oldest Natural Elite/Pro in the 90s to the current 4000/Sculpt, all of them I've seen has the "6" on the left side. I'm curious... It's strange that they would have change this for a particular keyboard.

Is this a "local" layout variation?

Offline sordna

Re: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Axios [In Development]
« Reply #1478 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 14:26:17 »
The Kinesis Advantage has 6 on the right. I like this and it feels natural to have half the number keys on the left and half on the right hand. It makes sense for symmetrical keyboards IMO.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Koren

« Reply #1479 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 15:02:46 »
The Kinesis Advantage has 6 on the right. I like this and it feels natural to have half the number keys on the left and half on the right hand. It makes sense for symmetrical keyboards IMO.
I'm leaning toward a 1-5 / 6-0 layout on the Axios, too, I'm not confortable with an unbalanced layout for numbers, indeed.

But the problem with split keyboards like the Natural Keyboard is that they keep the staggered layout. With a staggered layout, having the 6 on the right part isn't exactly a great idea. On Kinesis/Maltron, or any row-aligned keyboard, it's perfectly fine.

Offline Hairball

« Reply #1480 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 22:41:49 »
Hey I'm coming to this thread really late, but I wanted to say how much I'm thrilled at what I'm seeing here!  Little background now if you'll bear with me - it explains how I got here.

I'm a database developer and spend a helluva lot of hours coding, documenting, and emailing.  That's 8-10 hours a day (not counting computer use on my own time.)  I'm a decent touch typist and on the high end do about 95wpm.  I'm a LONG time user of Microsoft Natural keyboards, with the 4000 being my main at home and work for quite a few years now.  I'm aware of how horrible the switches are compared to good mechanical switches, mainly because a coworker/friend of mine let me try out his 2 mechanical keyboards the other day.  Basic layouts with the 10-key, one using Cherry Blues and the other Cherry Browns.  Liked them both.  Was like going back to typing in mud on the Microsoft keyboard :(  I've always really liked the layout on the MS ergonomic keyboards so I thought it shouldn't be *too* hard to find something like that, but with good switches.  I had no idea what I was getting into when I started my research.

Long story short, I've looked at just about every ergo keyboard out there including a lot of long since discontinued ones (not paying $1000+ for a 15 year old used keyboard ;) )  I went to /r/mechanicalkeyboard and geekhack.org here and deskthority.net and a slew of resellers and manufacturers.  The Truly Ergonomic and the Kinesis Advantage (which I was already vaguely aware of) seem close, but have some major issues for me personally.  I was about to give up, but one more search led me to a guy's blog where he essentially built his own Ergodox (sourced it all himself, cut his own acrylic layers, etc.) and he was saying it was *almost* perfect, but not quite right.  He then dropped a little line about something that was the closest to what he wanted to see with a link to this thread.

*BAM* - I read all 50 pages in this thread and hot damn my days ofsearching and research have paid off!  I didn't know it before today, but this is what I've actually been looking for all along. :) 

I was cringing at the thought of spending $200-300 on a good ergonomic mechanical keyboard as my first such device because nothing I had been looking at was quite right and I would have been spending a lot of money on something that I knew wasn't right, but might have been my only option.  I don't have that same reluctance about this project - I swear it really does seem to be exactly what I'm after.

Sorry for going on an on here.  Wanted to really convey how awesome this project is for me.  I've signed up to be notified when the project launches and I'm following this thread, plus the Axios forums :)

Fantastic work, Acid!  Consider me another enthusiastic supporter ready to throw money at this when it's ready.

Note: honestly, I did have a real mechanical keyboard before now since the first PC I built was a parted together 8088 with of course a mechanical keyboard a long, long time ago ;)

edit: because spelling
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 October 2014, 10:18:14 by Hairball »

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #1481 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 23:42:45 »
Welcome to the party, Hairball! 

Offline vatin

« Reply #1482 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 08:37:13 »
Hey I'm coming to this thread really late, but I wanted to say how much I'm thrilled at what I'm seeing here!  Little background now if you'll bear with me - it explains how I got here.

I'm a database developer and spend a helluva lot of hours coding, documenting, and emailing.  That's 8-10 hours a day (not counting computer use on my own time.)  I'm a decent touch typist and on the high end do about 95wpm.  I'm a LONG time user of Microsoft Natural keyboards, with the 4000 being my main at home and work for quite a few years now.  I'm aware of how horrible the switches are compared to good mechanical switches, mainly because a coworker/friend of mine let me try out his 2 mechanical keyboards the other day.  Basic layouts with the 10-key, one using Cherry Blues and the other Cherry Browns.  Liked them both.  Was like going back to typing in mud on the Microsoft keyboard :(  I've always really liked the layout on the MS ergonomic keyboards so I thought it shouldn't be *too* hard to find something like that, but with good switches.  I had no idea what I was getting into when I started my research.

Long story short, I've looked at just about every ergo keyboard out there including a lot of long since discontinued ones (not paying $1000+ for a 15 year old used keyboard ;) )  I went to /r/mechanicalkeyboard and geekhack.org here and deskthority.net and a slew of resellers and manufacturers.  The Truly Ergonomic and the Kinesis Advantage (which I was already vaguely aware of) seem close, but have some major issues for me personally.  I was about to give up, but one more search led me to a guy's blog where he essentially built his own Ergodox (sourced it all himself, cut his own acrylic layers, etc.) and he was saying it was *almost* perfect, but not quite right.  He then dropped a little line about something that was the closest to what he wanted to see with a link to this thread.

*BAM* - I read all 50 pages in this thread and hot damn my days or searching and research have paid off!  I didn't know it before today, but this is what I've actually been looking for all along. :) 

I was cringing at the thought of spending $200-300 on a good ergonomic mechanical keyboard as my first such device because nothing I had been looking at was quite right and I would have been spending a lot of money on something that I knew wasn't right, but might have been my only option.  I don't have that same reluctance about this project - I swear it really does seem to be exactly what I'm after.

Sorry for going on an on here.  Wanted to really convey how awesome this project is for me.  I've signed up to be notified when the project launches and I'm following this thread, plus the Axios forums :)

Fantastic work, Acid!  Consider me another enthusiastic supporter ready to throw money at this when it's ready.

Note: honestly, I did have a real mechanical keyboard before now since the first PC I built was a parted together 8088 with of course a mechanical keyboard a long, long time ago ;)
Welcome indeed.
I have a kinesis advantage and trust me, it is well worth it.
Takes some adjustment but it'll help you conserve energy throughout the day, you'll be more efficient. They're coming out with a revised model next year so you might want to wait. Much better than any flat traditional keyboard.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #1483 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 11:45:55 »
Unless they're splitting it and allowing for various tenting degrees, it's still going to fall far short compared to the Axios, which hopefully will also be available next year. 

Offline naz

« Reply #1484 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 12:51:35 »
I'm under the impression that the new kinesis will be very similar, changing the f-buttons to mechanical switches and little more (i never use the f-row, so i really don't care that much about that upgrade). I really doubt they'll split their over 20 years main design (hope i'm wrong though)

Axios is the way to go, if only our dearest acidfire would post updates more often.... (a video would be awesome!) 

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1485 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 13:35:03 »
Hairball, there's nothing wrong in getting another ergonomic keyboard...

Offline Hairball

« Reply #1486 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 14:15:03 »
Hairball, there's nothing wrong in getting another ergonomic keyboard...
Oh so you're saying I should get a kinesis *and* the Axios, right? ;)

Actually the biggest problem I have with the layout of the kinesis advantage is how they handled the arrow keys.  I use those a lot and having them split between hands would drive me nuts.  I do use the function keys, but could deal with the non-mechanical nature of the current version.  It does have the vertical key layout (columns vs. staggered) so that would be a plus and I suspect their key wells would be interesting.  I'm just not sure about those horrible arrow keys and the lack of tenting.  If the keyboard was $100 that would be one thing, but @ $300 new I would want things to be pretty damn perfect.

Offline vvp

« Reply #1487 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 14:26:27 »
Actually the biggest problem I have with the layout of the kinesis advantage is how they handled the arrow keys.
I like them the way they are on kinesis. I know one guy who bought kinesis just because of arrow keys. He was getting a pain in fingers because of using the inverted T arrow keys a lot.
Although, if you do not like it you can swap e.g. '[' with '←' and ']' with '→'. Then you will have them on one side. Having them all in a row is probably better for quick use. On the new kinesis advantage, it may be possible to move them to a proper layer (at least they promise significant firmware improvements). We shell see how it turns out.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1488 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 14:52:43 »
It took me a good while to 'get' the arrow keys on the kinesis, but now I'm used to them, they are so amazingly well placed.

Yes, get a few such boards, that way you can swap easily when you need a change.

Offline Hairball

« Reply #1489 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:24:05 »
Yes, get a few such boards, that way you can swap easily when you need a change.
Oh just "get a few such boards" you say.  What am I, made of money?  hehe I'd love to have the Kinesis Advantage, the Truly Ergonomic and the Ergodox while I wait for the Axios to come along!

I did just spend about an hour here at work using a das keyboard (brown switches) trying to use it enough to get a real idea of what it feels like.  I much prefer the key feel compared to this mushy MS keyboard, but even after that little time the non-ergo design was uncomfortable.  Also, I can tell I really prefer the blue switches to the browns for typing.

So... Acidfire, I'm throwing money at my screen, but nothing's happening ;)

Offline dshk

« Reply #1490 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 17:17:30 »
Actually the biggest problem I have with the layout of the kinesis advantage is how they handled the arrow keys. I use those a lot and having them split between hands would drive me nuts. 

If you use Kinesis Advantage - or I guess any other split keyboard - than you have to learn touch typing anyway. Or at least something similar to touch typing :) Fortunately, it is very easy to learn it on this keyboard. Now, if you touch type, than it does not make any difference where are the keys, if they are easily reachable. And they are! If you look at the Kinesis Advantage, they are pressed with the two stronger fingers and they are near to the base line. The physical arrangement planned for Axios looks nicer, but it means that arrows are pressed with the weaker fingers, including the overloaded pinky. Moreover, the left arrow is farther a bit, but the down arrow is farther by a complete row, compared to Kinesis Advantage.

Of course one of the most important features of Axios, or any open keyboard, that we can all create our own layout! I will make Axios similar to the Kinesis in this regard. Only the small disadvantage will remain, that the left arrow (on the right side, which become the down arrow) will be a bit farther than it is necessary.

Btw, I have yet to learn vi, but I guess that editor has the most perfect cursor movement keys: they are on the baseline (H J K L).

I do use the function keys, but could deal with the non-mechanical nature of the current version.

I tried to touch type with the F keys on Kinesis but I cannot. It is a complete catastrophe. And if only the F1-12 have the rubber keys... But the ESC is also there and the layout switch too.

Offline Hairball

« Reply #1491 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 17:36:44 »
If you use Kinesis Advantage - or I guess any other split keyboard - than you have to learn touch typing anyway. Or at least something similar to touch typing :) Fortunately, it is very easy to learn it on this keyboard. Now, if you touch type, than it does not make any difference where are the keys, if they are easily reachable. And they are! If you look at the Kinesis Advantage, they are pressed with the two stronger fingers and they are near to the base line. The physical arrangement planned for Axios looks nicer, but it means that arrows are pressed with the weaker fingers, including the overloaded pinky. Moreover, the left arrow is farther a bit, but the down arrow is farther by a complete row, compared to Kinesis Advantage.
Well I'm a touch typist, but I'm not seeing how that helps with the altered arrow keys.  I'm sure I could train myself to use them the way they are laid out on the Kinesis, but at least in concept it seems weird to me.  I get the column vs. staggered keys, the key wells, thumb keys, etc.

I tried to touch type with the F keys on Kinesis but I cannot. It is a complete catastrophe. And if only the F1-12 have the rubber keys... But the ESC is also there and the layout switch too.
Ouch that bad?  I wasn't paying enough attention and didn't realize ESC was there, too.  I need to find one to demo, but I don't see any resellers in my area.

Offline dshk

« Reply #1492 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 17:55:13 »
Ouch that bad?  I wasn't paying enough attention and didn't realize ESC was there, too.  I need to find one to demo, but I don't see any resellers in my area.

If you are typing in English on the Kinesis then you can move the Esc key to the second "\" key for example. The Kinesis is programmable. I cannot do that, because I use many accented characters and there is no unused or rarely used key. Axios is better in this regard, it has much more keys.

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #1493 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 03:34:52 »
a common tactic amongst us vim users is to map caps lock to be escape. this is possible with any old keyboard when using the right software, but with the kinesis you can just map whatever you want to wherever you want it, so this old trick is exceedingly simple. similarly i have my cursors all in a row at the bottom of my right hand and the brackets & braces on the left as mentioned earlier.

the only real problem with the kinesis for remapping is that it doesn't have proper support for layers in the way that firmwares like the ergodox or tmk do - there is the keypad button, but that one is the only non-remappable button, it's on a rubber key, only supports toggle switching not momentary, and is only a single layer option. my dox has one momentary layer key on my left thumbcluster that gives me a numpad on the right hand and F-keys on the left, and a different one on the right cluster to give me quick access to a bunch of handy programming symbol characters and stuff on or around the home row. i miss that when i'm on the kinesis. it's the main area where the dox or axios wins out over the kinesis.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1494 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 04:35:31 »
The only real problem with the Kinesis Advantage firmware is that not only it doesn't support layers and all the other fancy schmancy stuff, it's also full bugs. I had tough time finding an accessible spot for AltGr and eventually simply remapped Caps Lock to AltGr. Guess what happened next? Left Shift and AltGr (previously Caps Lock) didn't register with keys on the right half (especially N or M) half of the time. Then I went back to my ErgoDox. I know, I know, the kinesis can be remapped on-the-fly, unlike most ErgoDox implementations, but what's the point, if you have to build the muscle memory anyway?

The current situation around ErgoDox firmwares is a mess as well. The Massdrop's backend for the graphical configurator is ridiculously outdated, and the upstream (both Ben's and TMK) is scattered in plenty of bratches.

HaaTa's Keyboard Layout Language appears to be a salvation at this point, if properly implemented.

Offline Naed

• Tinkerer and maker of weird prototypes
« Reply #1495 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 04:39:02 »
a common tactic amongst us vim users is to map caps lock to be escape. this is possible with any old keyboard when using the right software, but with the kinesis you can just map whatever you want to wherever you want it, so this old trick is exceedingly simple. similarly i have my cursors all in a row at the bottom of my right hand and the brackets & braces on the left as mentioned earlier.

the only real problem with the kinesis for remapping is that it doesn't have proper support for layers in the way that firmwares like the ergodox or tmk do - there is the keypad button, but that one is the only non-remappable button, it's on a rubber key, only supports toggle switching not momentary, and is only a single layer option. my dox has one momentary layer key on my left thumbcluster that gives me a numpad on the right hand and F-keys on the left, and a different one on the right cluster to give me quick access to a bunch of handy programming symbol characters and stuff on or around the home row. i miss that when i'm on the kinesis. it's the main area where the dox or axios wins out over the kinesis.

Mind sharing that layout? Asking because I am curious how that looks.

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #1496 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 07:37:11 »
Mind sharing that layout? Asking because I am curious how that looks.
what, the ergodox layout? you can see the source here https://github.com/eviltobz/ergodox-firmware/blob/partial-rewrite/firmware/keyboard/ergodox/layout/tobz-custom.c i think that's pretty much what i'm running at the moment. it's from a very old version of ben's partial rewrite code. As a quick overview, the aforementioned momentary layers are available with any of the basic permanent layers. a combination of momentaries puts it into admin mode which is where the bootloader key is, along with layer switches to change the basic operation. it defaults to a colemak layout for osx, but can be switched to a windows optimised version (basically just swapping a few modifiers around) and a qwerty version for games or if i let regular mortals use my sacred keyboard ;)

Offline Hairball

« Reply #1497 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 17:31:58 »
I was looking at another design last night from someone on geekhack: http://www.keyboard.io/

That's also a really interesting/intriguing design, but I still feel like the direction Acid's design is going is a better fit for me.  I like the completely separate keyboard halves and the adjustable angle on the thumb cluster + function keys.  Granted, I'd like to have both ;)

Offline naz

« Reply #1498 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 19:32:30 »
I remember reading that the keyboardio can be split in two halfs, but they don't want to show the mechanims just yet. I like the keys on the keyboardio (they were made specially for it), but axios has more of them (i need the arrows to navegate on excel sheets), plus they haven't mention a price yet, so i think it will be more expensive than the axios.

Offline dshk

« Reply #1499 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 07:38:52 »
HaaTa's Keyboard Layout Language appears to be a salvation at this point, if properly implemented.

That is a very interesting project. Now only if the interested parties (USB HID standard body, keyboard and OS manufacturers) recognize that in 2014 keyboards should be able to send scan codes corresponding to Unicode code points instead of restricting keyboards to predefined sets, which are reminescents of the 8 bit code pages from the '80s...