geekhack Marketplace > Group Buys and Preorders

[GB] TGR x MXF Koala - 24-Hour Raffle opens 2/25/2022

<< < (20/20)

Shunx:

--- Quote from: phinix on Sat, 12 March 2022, 19:15:19 ---What a hell? $1500??!!
Its a piece of alu etc.
Frog is better than this for $300.

--- End quote ---

Of course frog or other board could be better.. Somehow this GB is for robbing people who don't care about their money. ROFL

phinix:

--- Quote from: Shunx on Sun, 13 March 2022, 05:59:57 ---
--- Quote from: phinix on Sat, 12 March 2022, 19:15:19 ---What a hell? $1500??!!
Its a piece of alu etc.
Frog is better than this for $300.

--- End quote ---

Of course frog or other board could be better.. Somehow this GB is for robbing people who don't care about their money. ROFL

--- End quote ---

True.. true...

ninjadoc:

--- Quote from: Puddsy on Wed, 23 February 2022, 22:28:53 ---
--- Quote from: yuktsi on Wed, 23 February 2022, 21:56:58 ---And I do get a cut of the profit from, a reasonably good cut like what Max has mentioned. Just that with the little no. of units involved and the amount risk/work, I don’t agree with people saying that this is a cash grab.

--- End quote ---

if it was a cash grab it would have been a 15 unit vickrey.

i know better than to further engage with this thread, but i have a few small thoughts.

a) people arbitrarily choose what they want to be mad at. not just in this hobby but generally. i think the sense that everyone should own an "endgame" board is one that is full of entitlement. buy what you can afford, and enjoy keyboards within your budget. there has never been a better time to buy a low end, or ESPECIALLY a mid range keyboard. there are so many good options in the 350-500 range, i wish we had this much selection when i got into keyboards.

aa) i think a lot of new members of the hobby feel entitled to "endgame" boards like this. i understand that animosity and desire to have something you want, but honestly, if you just want it for clout, nobody cares. people care that i own an alice, but that's because i have clout for different reasons (some good, some bad), not because i own that board. buy things because YOU want them. not because you want other people to want them.

ab) i think getting upset about this being another koala copy is kind of shortsighted. if you get upset about one you should get upset about them all. but i see some of the same people ****ting on this for being a koala copy praising other boards that are also koala copies. it's not like we can go back to korellas or eungsam and get their stamp of approval for every board that uses their designs.

b) is this board too expensive? i say sure, but i know there are people who will pay for this. there are hundreds of people who are willing to shell out for keycult and bauer commissions. my personal stance is that anything over 750 is too much for any keyboard, but i've paid more than that for non-keyboard hobby items in the past, so i guess it just depends on what one is willing to spend. like has been mentioned a few times in this thread, there have been $1500 boards before, and there will be more after this. don't buy something if you don't want it/can't afford it.

ba) before anyone asks the most i've ever paid for a keyboard was ~730 for my little z, not including what i paid lightning to build it. my mira is not far behind, i paid 725 to buy it back from a friend who rebuilt it and asked me to reimburse him for the parts.

bb) saying that this is the logical end product of a community built around hype is kinda shortsighted as well, and a good signifier that you haven't been around that long. some of us remember the nasby koalas way back in the day, which also GB'd at 1500 (in like 2014 i think!). and i think they sold more units than are being offered here, AND those were clones made from stolen files. i reiterate that this is nothing new.

c) sam is in my top three of most important people in the keyboard community, ever. not just in terms of keyboard design, but also in terms of growing the community and making it a better place. he has given us so much and has reaped so few of the benefits of what he has done for the rest of us. i think if he wants to get paid he should get his money. like he mentions, he gets no money when someone sells a jane on MM for 6k after he sold his at GB For 1/10th that price. i know what i paid for my alice, and i know how much money i've been offered for it. let the man do what he wants. he's earned it more than any of us.

in closing, do i think people are right to be upset about this? not really. i think if this is your first time seeing something like this it can be jarring, but honestly to those of us who have been around for a while it's nothing new. i think if you're genuinely upset about a product like this existing, then you really need to consider your feelings about keyboards. do i think this board has some problems? sure, but mostly i'd just want more color choices and a custom engraving at that price, but i don't think i'll be buying so what does my opinion really matter?

--- End quote ---

AH, Puddsy I must agree - we both know better than getting embroiled in such chatter. I have lots to say but I know better than going there. For what its worth I will say a little bit and run like h.... - check the cost of aluminum over the last two years, believe me it costs more per unit to make 20 boards than 200 boards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version