geekhack Community > geekhack Media

Home-made palmrest.

(1/4) > >>

boxjon:

Got inspired looking at some of the pics of workstations. Went straight to Lowes and got me some plywood and sandpaper. It feels baby smooth and its only 1 inch tall, so perfect height for typing.

modulor:
Nice, you should stain and/or seal it next!  I'd recommend a few coats of tung oil.

boxjon:

--- Quote from: modulor on Fri, 28 September 2012, 14:59:20 ---Nice, you should stain and/or seal it next!  I'd recommend a few coats of tung oil.

--- End quote ---

Great suggestion. I liek the smooth feel of the sanded raw wood. Would the stain eliminate that feeling?

modulor:
Stain won't change the texture, as it gets absorbed into the wood.  Tung oil is the same way, but it will seal the wood and make it liquid-proof, plus give it a nice luster without altering the texture much (unless you apply alot).  I figured you'd prefer that better than sealing it with a clear coat or varnish. Plain tung oil will darken the wood slightly (imagine a damp look) but I think you can also get it tinted or 'with stain'.  It will also strengthen the wood.  I've used tung oil in the past for furniture and it works great. ;D

boxjon:

--- Quote from: modulor on Fri, 28 September 2012, 15:13:53 ---Stain won't change the texture, as it gets absorbed into the wood.  Tung oil is the same way, but it will seal the wood and make it liquid-proof, plus give it a nice luster without altering the texture much (unless you apply alot).  I figured you'd prefer that better than sealing it with a clear coat or varnish. Plain tung oil will darken the wood slightly (imagine a damp look) but I think you can also get it tinted or 'with stain'.  It will also strengthen the wood.  I've used tung oil in the past for furniture and it works great. ;D

--- End quote ---

Well in that case I might be making another trip down to Lowes. Does it take long for this stuff to dry? Also would like to etch something in the corner, need to find a way to do that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version