geekhack Community > geekhack Media

Home-made palmrest.

<< < (2/4) > >>

boxjon:
Ok, so, I have another piece of wood cut to the same dimensions. I will apply the oil this weekend. I am also planning on buying a small burning tool to etch some writing near the bottom right hand side. Made it look a bit pro. I'll post pics as soon as it's done.

modulor:
What you'll probably find at Lowe's is 'Tung Oil Finish' which is similar, but not actually tung oil.  I had to find 100% tung oil online, but I've used both and the 'Finish' is easier to work with and will give you a similar effect.  It's basically wiping varnish, so it will still be applied and absorbed into the wood and seal the same way. Pure tung oil requires a distiller like turpentine.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_oil#Application

Also, I think you have to wait 24 hours between coats for either option, but you may be satisfied with just one coat.

modulor:
Alssso...welcome to GeekHack! :D

dreamingftw:
Good idea, might head to my local lowes or home depot to make one myself.

boxjon:

--- Quote from: dreamingftw on Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:30:10 ---Good idea, might head to my local lowes or home depot to make one myself.

--- End quote ---

The piece I bought was literally like 2 bucks. I have plenty left over. I used 2, 8inch pieces to prop my computer up from the carpet (better ventilation) and I still have about another 3-4 feet of it in the Jeep. Although I might used it for something today. Got that, "I gotta build something" itch I need to scratch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version