Author Topic: What makes you happy?  (Read 554229 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: What makes you happy?
« Reply #3400 on: Sat, 26 February 2022, 01:45:20 »
The Indian head bobble. Where I work right now I get many Indian patrons, and I have come to understand (and sometimes unconsciously use) the Indian head bobble. What a fun and versatile form of communication. I don't think most people realize they are doing it, but when it is used, and in under which context, I think I understand it now.
It can be a 'maybe' 'yes' 'thank you' 'hello'
or even if you do it slowly it can have a negative meaning, like that person is unhappy with you.

It's just a fun way to add underlying context to your verbal communication. I like it!

Offline iri

« Reply #3401 on: Sat, 26 February 2022, 05:12:18 »
And also a great way to acknowledge that you understand what your interlocutor is saying during a long technical conversation.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3402 on: Thu, 24 March 2022, 22:52:26 »
If I keep putting all my paychecks into Jasmy and LIT now, it'll mean retirement by 40... I hope.
Big suffer now, big money later. Only thing that keeps me going.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #3403 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 04:52:32 »
If I keep putting all my paychecks into Jasmy and LIT now, it'll mean retirement by 40... I hope.

Do you really do crypto? Buy and sell?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline iri

« Reply #3404 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 05:33:15 »
What if those ****coins keep falling?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3405 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 14:43:55 »

Jasmy is backed by the Japanese government, one of the founders is Sony's ex-CEO, it's Japan's only sanctioned coin. Not a ****coin. A far cry from apes and doges

Offline iri

« Reply #3406 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 17:03:10 »
Hmmmmm

284185-0

-Ray Bradbury

Offline phinix

« Reply #3407 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 19:04:04 »
Hmmmmm

(Attachment Link)

Looks like its time to buy it and then wait till it goes up?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3408 on: Sat, 26 March 2022, 00:17:34 »
Hmmmmm

(Attachment Link)

Exactly. Follows the same pattern of every coin that became successful and it's just barely 1yr old. Sanctions in Japan literally got approved a few weeks, they just started implementing their business plan. I see nothing to worry about.

Offline phinix

« Reply #3409 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 07:35:13 »
Hmmmmm

(Attachment Link)

Exactly. Follows the same pattern of every coin that became successful and it's just barely 1yr old. Sanctions in Japan literally got approved a few weeks, they just started implementing their business plan. I see nothing to worry about.

I know nothing about it - what do you use to buy/sell etc?
Is it easy to sell once it goes up?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3410 on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 10:15:45 »
Opened a curtain early this morning to see a hedgehog scuttling away across the patio.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Versaknight

« Reply #3411 on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 11:23:27 »
having something to do in life

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3412 on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 11:36:34 »
Opened a curtain early this morning to see a hedgehog scuttling away across the patio.

Read that in Attenborough's voice.

Offline iri

« Reply #3413 on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 17:09:11 »
Nice!

I wasn't happy to get back to the Blighty from the French Basque Country, but seeing a few deer right next to Stansted car park brightened the day up a bit.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Coreda

« Reply #3414 on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 22:29:20 »

Jasmy is backed by the Japanese government, one of the founders is Sony's ex-CEO, it's Japan's only sanctioned coin. Not a ****coin. A far cry from apes and doges

From a look at it via this article and scanning a couple other results it's based on Ethereum tokens, meets the Japanese cryptocurrency regulations but is not a general-purpose currency, rather it hinges on the concept that people will be willing to trust them with much/all their personal data (anything from personal IDs to browsing history), in Jasmy digital 'lockers', which users can then charge companies Jasmy coin for access to.

However I may be missing something, is it also said somewhere to be a general purpose cryptocurrency? As I'm not sure its an apples to apples comparison with other coins.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 April 2022, 22:33:42 by Coreda »

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #3415 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 15:06:38 »
Right now, watching Crypto tank throughout today has made me happy. .

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3416 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 11:54:57 »

First print design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5345150

Just a lil test run to see what's what.  This was printed via hubs.com

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3417 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 06:09:55 »
I just sent and received my first MMS (sent it to myself :-[) since I got my phone four years ago.  Seems I've been blaming Sailfish when it was the network all along, even though I've "moved" to the same network.  Could have come in handy once in all those years so maybe it will again before the phone gets replaced.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #3418 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 14:21:33 »
Meeting nice people  that have interesting things
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3419 on: Mon, 29 August 2022, 21:11:03 »
Had a doctor's consultation today. This super cute doctor shows me into the room, and I am joking, she's laughing, then we proceed to spend the next 50 minutes flirting. We only spent the last 10 actually talking business (it was a free appointment).
IDK, things like this never happen to me. It just filled me with such confidence. She said she's going to try and stop by my work sometime this weekend, and I don't know what that implies cause I read signals like Hellen Keller reads Dostoevsky, but man I am feeling real good right now.
I have been working hard on myself for the last couple months; dropped 25lbs, been working out, got a nice tan, hair has been super on point. I didn't think anyone was noticing, but today I feel amazing!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3420 on: Mon, 29 August 2022, 21:18:39 »
Had a doctor's consultation today. This super cute doctor shows me into the room, and I am joking, she's laughing, then we proceed to spend the next 50 minutes flirting. We only spent the last 10 actually talking business (it was a free appointment).
IDK, things like this never happen to me. It just filled me with such confidence. She said she's going to try and stop by my work sometime this weekend, and I don't know what that implies cause I read signals like Hellen Keller reads Dostoevsky, but man I am feeling real good right now.
I have been working hard on myself for the last couple months; dropped 25lbs, been working out, got a nice tan, hair has been super on point. I didn't think anyone was noticing, but today I feel amazing!

Noice

Offline phinix

« Reply #3421 on: Tue, 30 August 2022, 15:05:48 »

Well, sounds good, dude. I'm also really happy you lost weight, this is for most peeps mission impossible.
Good for you noisy, I'm happy for you  :thumb:

Offline iri

« Reply #3422 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 03:17:36 »
You’re becoming more attractive which is why you attract. It’s just the beginning!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3423 on: Thu, 13 October 2022, 18:06:29 »
Woo! Down 30lbs in the last 2 months! 15 away from my goal.
Losing weight is fairly easy if you just eat one big meal a day and sweat all the time  :rolleyes:

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #3424 on: Fri, 14 October 2022, 07:36:43 »

Why don't you feel some b- oh wait that joke won't work on you anymore...

jokes aside, congrats and good luck
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3425 on: Fri, 14 October 2022, 10:31:17 »
Woo! Down 30lbs in the last 2 months! 15 away from my goal.
Losing weight is fairly easy if you just eat one big meal a day and sweat all the time  :rolleyes:
First off: gotta say, really happy for you, congrats on everything.
That was my experience during my divorce as well. ;D Barely ate and sweat all the damn time due to being heavy.
The other day at work someone complimented me saying don't lose any more weight or you'll disappear.
Dunno why but that really helped me wanting to continue doing it in a healthier way, or at least watch my weight. :thumb:

Offline plag

• Formerly pepperonichicken
  • i also go by plag
« Reply #3426 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 17:45:20 »
Meeting nice people  that have interesting things
i agree. its my favorite feeling ever.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3427 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 21:00:11 »
Been super into cocktails lately being inspired after watching a lot of How To Drink on YT. It's really fun and satisfying to come home after work and mix up a brand new thing I've not had before. Learning a lot about how flavors work together, even creating a few myself!
Now I just need some friends to host and drink with   ;)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3428 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 16:31:57 »
Convincing the surgeon today not to cut me open while I was on the surgery table felt like my speechcraft increased by 10 levels. Cool.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3429 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 16:48:17 »
Convincing the surgeon today not to cut me open while I was on the surgery table felt like my speechcraft increased by 10 levels. Cool.

what ?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3430 on: Tue, 20 December 2022, 06:54:49 »
1. Gin Tonics
2. Coding.

I have been an academic for about 10 years, now wrapping up my Phd.
I got into programming out of necessity (I worked in psychology, nobody could do it).
I am now starting for myself.
With research, I was on and off papers.
I have now been programming day and night out of fun for weeks. Never experienced that kind of immersion for a very VERY long time.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline phinix

« Reply #3431 on: Tue, 20 December 2022, 08:40:51 »

Jeez... is that same issue you had before when were ill?

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #3432 on: Tue, 20 December 2022, 15:29:50 »
were you getting operated on against your will?
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3433 on: Tue, 20 December 2022, 15:47:53 »
were you getting operated on against your will?

not any more

Offline phinix

« Reply #3434 on: Sat, 18 March 2023, 19:24:43 »
As a man who is always looking for reasons to be happy, there are a few things that never fail to put a smile on my face. For me, happiness comes from simple pleasures like spending time with loved ones, exploring new places, and watching great movies.

Speaking of movies, there are a few films that never fail to lift my spirits and make me feel happy. One of my all-time favorites that I rewatched recently on soap2day is "The Grand Budapest Hotel". This whimsical and visually stunning movie, directed by Wes Anderson, tells the story of a hotel concierge and his loyal lobby boy as they navigate a series of absurd and hilarious adventures in a fictional European country. The film is filled with colorful characters, witty dialogue, and charming performances from an ensemble cast that includes Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton, and Bill Murray.

Another movie that always makes me happy is "Singin' in the Rain". This classic musical from 1952 stars Gene Kelly as a silent film star who must adapt to the new world of talking pictures. The movie is packed with catchy songs and energetic dance numbers, and the chemistry between Kelly and his co-star, Debbie Reynolds, is simply electric. Watching this film always puts me in a good mood and leaves me humming tunes for days afterward.

Finally, I have to mention "The Princess Bride". This beloved 1987 fantasy film, directed by Rob Reiner and based on the novel by William Goldman, is a perfect blend of humor, romance, and adventure. The movie follows a young farmhand named Westley as he sets out to rescue his true love, Princess Buttercup, from a band of ruthless pirates. The film is filled with memorable quotes and iconic scenes, and the cast - including Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, and Andre the Giant - is simply delightful.

Whether it's spending time with loved ones, exploring new places, or watching great movies like these, I'm always looking for reasons to be happy. These simple pleasures bring me joy and remind me of the good things in life, and I feel lucky to have them in my life.

Have you seen Moonrise Kingdom?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3435 on: Sun, 19 March 2023, 04:12:01 »
Lately what's been making me happy is.. my divorce.

I can feel now, that I was STRESSED at the end, an unhealthy amount.
I can feel myself again, other people have told me I'm more there now, more attentive and less stressed.
People I've barely spoken to at work have come up and told me they're glad that I'm back.
Did everyone but me see how bad that relationship was at the end?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3436 on: Sun, 19 March 2023, 08:37:14 »

I can feel myself again, other people have told me I'm more there now, more attentive and less stressed.
People I've barely spoken to at work have come up and told me they're glad that I'm back.

it's time for video games, and hobby.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3437 on: Mon, 20 March 2023, 03:46:54 »

it's time for video games, and hobby.
Indeed it is, dude. :D

Offline Aquarius

« Reply #3438 on: Sat, 10 June 2023, 15:53:39 »
sell more my keycap makes me happy.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3439 on: Sun, 16 July 2023, 20:11:25 »
I met a dog named Spaghetti today.
That's a good dog name.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3440 on: Sun, 16 July 2023, 20:15:11 »
I met a dog named Spaghetti today.
That's a good dog name.

It is a good name, hard to say though, do they sound out the whole name? or shorten it, to something like Peggy.

Offline phinix

« Reply #3441 on: Wed, 16 August 2023, 16:39:42 »
Seeing my daughter doing well at school. Makes all my worries go away.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #3442 on: Wed, 16 August 2023, 21:29:34 »

aw that's awesome to see, hope she keeps doing well.

Offline phinix

« Reply #3443 on: Thu, 17 August 2023, 03:09:17 »

aw that's awesome to see, hope she keeps doing well.

Yeah, she is starting university next year and so far she only had A grades during primary and secondary school. I hope all goes well all the way up :)
She had her National 5s last year and this year Highers exams (something they do in UK) and all went well, all As, so its pretty good.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3444 on: Mon, 16 October 2023, 03:27:26 »
People who are 10 years younger than you, but look 10 years older than you.

Offline phinix

« Reply #3445 on: Tue, 17 October 2023, 19:10:09 »
Oh boy! My missus let me order my new desk - Ikea Karlby worktop and Alex drawers set :D
I have a think with desks, something similar to my thing with camera bags - I juggle them like a looney...
This will be my... 5th or 6th desk in last 15 years.

Going to build something close to this, only one drawers going to be two shelf unit.

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 October 2023, 19:12:47 by phinix »

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #3446 on: Tue, 17 October 2023, 21:30:41 »
Oh boy! My missus let me order my new desk - Ikea Karlby worktop and Alex drawers set :D
I have a think with desks, something similar to my thing with camera bags - I juggle them like a looney...

Going to build something close to this, only one drawers going to be two shelf unit.

Show Image

Very cool setup, made me realise my desk is so messy gotta clean it up.

Offline phinix

« Reply #3447 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 05:20:20 »

Show Image

At this moment my desk looks like this. So getting rid of that shelf unit on the left and some other changes.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #3448 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 06:39:35 »

Show Image

At this moment my desk looks like this. So getting rid of that shelf unit on the left and some other changes.

Show Image

beautiful, but im gonna guess you don't do a lot of gaming?
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline phinix

« Reply #3449 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 08:56:58 »

Show Image

Show Image

beautiful, but im gonna guess you don't do a lot of gaming?
Unfortunately not anymore. At least not that much as I did when was younger :)
Why? How can you tell? :)

I think something happens to our brain after 40, that you start to loose interest in gaming, live more based on nostalgia and memories of old games you played in the past.
new games become annoying, not good enough to draw your attention. Lov for gaming simply burns out, fades away... :'(