Author Topic: NEC Spinwriter terminal, with Honeywell SD hall effect keyboard  (Read 1475 times)

Offline compu_85

NEC Spinwriter terminal, with Honeywell SD hall effect keyboard
« on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 14:35:48 »
I was perusing Craigslist, and spotted an NEC Spinwriter printing terminal, basically a more modern teletype. After some cleaning and oiling, it works great!

251328-0

When I typed on it the first time, I was surprised how nice the keyboard was. No wonder... it has a Honeywell / Microswitch SD hall effect keyboard!

251330-1

251332-2

Converting the ASCII interface to USB was a nice Sunday project. The keys on the left have dedicated wires on the connector, and don't generate strobe pulses. I set up Break as a modifier to give curly braces with the bracket keys, page up / down with the line feed key, and mac cmd+space for the Escape key. Local turns the clicker on / off. Auto Linefeed changes the number pad into a T nav, with 5 being up. Local, Uppercase, and Auto Linefeed are all latching, as it the caps lock key.

251334-3

Most of the keycaps with white plastic have yellowed. They did this on the underside too, so it doesn't seem like just UV exposure.
A friend suggested using straight OxyClean to whiten the plastic. After some tests to be sure it wouldn't damage the gray plastic, I got this result after ~2 hours of sun time:

251336-4

I've put the keyboard back in the terminal for now. The terminal works perfectly, it's kind of a hoot to get on IRC on a printer.

Thanks!

-Jason

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Re: NEC Spinwriter terminal, with Honeywell SD hall effect keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 16:25:11 »
That's so cool, I wish I knew how to convert something  ~
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!