Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 300389 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 17:29:40 »
I'm dithering over which plates to get and sourcing or making the stabilizers. I would like to end up with a HHKB layout or something easily remapped to the same. When I am not using my HHKB, I currently have a V60MTS remapped to a HHKB layout. So, the plates I am considering are the HHKB, Infinity Hacker, and AT101W. Maybe someone could push me in the right direction regarding choice of plates and sourcing/making the stabilizers.

Do you have caps ready to go?  That would influence decisions.
I am planning to order the Alpine Winter set. I also have a number of other complete or partial Alps-mount sets harvested from vintage boards, such as Dell 101W, and IBM 5140. In addition, I have modifiers for standard-layout boards from Matias. For example my V60MTS board has alphas from an IBM 5140; the mods and spacebar were purchased from Matias.

Offline braidn

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 17:34:26 »
Cherry Stabs will be the option for the Alpine Winter set. Clips should be harvestable or purchasable from Matias, the smaller stabilizer bars should be purchasable from MechanicalKeyboards/WASD but, if you are shooting for a 6u spacebar like the HHKB/Infinity you will have to bend your own stabilizer bar. Still haven't found any buyable options with that.

Offline braidn

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 18:02:59 »
Anyone have any opinions on this case? http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/keyboard-accessory/poker-2-metal-keyboard-case/lid=38489633

Anyone have in use with another PCB/Board? Love/Hate? Seems the blue color would go well with the blue on the ALPS Keycap MOQ.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 18:06:00 »
Cherry Stabs will be the option for the Alpine Winter set. Clips should be harvestable or purchasable from Matias, the smaller stabilizer bars should be purchasable from MechanicalKeyboards/WASD but, if you are shooting for a 6u spacebar like the HHKB/Infinity you will have to bend your own stabilizer bar. Still haven't found any buyable options with that.
Thanks. Looks like the safest bet for me would be the AT101W plate. I could use the same keycap/stabilizer scheme that I have used on my V60MTS. For example, I have used alphas and number keycaps from an IBM 5140 (dye-sub PBT) and mods plus spacebar purchased from Matias (ABS, but I don't mind ABS so much if it is only on the mods and spacebar). I've remapped the V60 to something close to the HHKB layout -- it doesn't have a split Right Shift, so I remap Right Ctrl as Fn.

Offline E3E

« Reply #104 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 18:25:02 »
Sorry if this has been asked already, my fine fellows, but will AEK/AEKII stabs (not inserts) work on the plates offered in this GB?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 18:36:07 »
Sorry if this has been asked already, my fine fellows, but will AEK/AEKII stabs (not inserts) work on the plates offered in this GB?
Yes, since AEK uses normal Alps stabs.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 18:45:33 »
Anyone have any opinions on this case? http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/keyboard-accessory/poker-2-metal-keyboard-case/lid=38489633

Anyone have in use with another PCB/Board? Love/Hate? Seems the blue color would go well with the blue on the ALPS Keycap MOQ.

I can tell you that it will be compatible with the PCB and plate in this GB, even if I'm not the type to voice opinions.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 18:53:11 »
For those who are harvesting Alps switches, which switches do you favor and which donor boards are you using?

I have this Magnavox VideoWriter keyboard with Orange Alps that I am considering using, but perhaps I should try to get it working as a keyboard in its own right.

Offline blcksqrrl

• I'm afraid that I just blue myself
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 19:19:10 »
I have my Apple M0116 which I don't think I'll be harvesting. I love the orange Alps, but I can't bring myself to tear the board apart after putting a converter in it. I think I will harvest switches from my AEKII, I don't use it because it's too big. I'm not sure how I feel about the damped cream Alps, though, I just don't think I have used them enough.

Poker II MX Blue

KUL ES-87 MX Blue

Apple Standard Keyboard

Apple Extended Keyboard II

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 19:44:56 »
For those who are harvesting Alps switches, which switches do you favor and which donor boards are you using?

I have this Magnavox VideoWriter keyboard with Orange Alps that I am considering using, but perhaps I should try to get it working as a keyboard in its own right.

(Attachment Link)
I think you will get more use and appreciate the orange Alps more in a custom 60%. I've got one of these PCBs already assembled with orange Alps from an old IIGS keyboard and caps from an AEKII, in a TEX acrylic case. It's a great keyboard.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 20:26:48 »
Which plate is considered "standard" and would fit all keycap sets?
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 20:34:50 »

AT101W (Dell ANSI on the order form) is the standard layout.

My boards:
More

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 20:34:58 »

There is no "standard" set.  However the most common set will be for the Dell AT101W ANSI plate.  The keys look like this:

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 20:37:24 »
What size is the space bar on the dell at101w?
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline BlueNalgene

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net

My boards:
More

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 22:32:58 »
Is there a tutorial on how to remove Alps switches?

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 00:11:17 »
I don't think so. But, it's the same as removing MX switches and I'm sure there's tutorials on that.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 00:24:53 »

Soldering iron, tweezers, and a healthy dose of gumption.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 00:42:02 »

Probably some pliers as well.  On the boards I have harvested ALPS from the switch pins have been bent on to the pcb.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 01:40:53 »

It looks like a knockoff of the Hammer case.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/compactkey/sets/72157635599375244/

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 05:14:09 »
Kind of wish there was a layout with arrowkeys. Too late now, of course.

Offline E3E

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 05:48:42 »

(Attachment Link)

That seems like such a unique board, I'd not want to touch it if I were you. I'd rather find much more common boards like the Apple standard and extended to source Orange Alps.

Offline primered6

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 07:11:29 »
Ordered..
Though heads up I've got an order change PM on the way, just got my matias test switches :thumb:
GNU Terry Pratchett.

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 09:53:16 »
Nice to see that MOQ was more then doubled not even a week in! Glad to see so much interest in ALPS!!

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 13:18:58 »
Thanks for undertaking this.

Naive question: Will the PCB and plates have the necessary holes for installing the keyboard into a standard aluminum case such as the TEK CNC 60% case?

The holes are there.  The TEX aluminum has had some problems with diodes though.  You may need to do add a layer of dielectric to protect them if you use that case.

Do you have recommendations on some materials or coatings to use to avoid electrical shorts in the aluminum case and how to install or apply these?

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 13:38:49 »
Thanks for undertaking this.

Naive question: Will the PCB and plates have the necessary holes for installing the keyboard into a standard aluminum case such as the TEK CNC 60% case?

The holes are there.  The TEX aluminum has had some problems with diodes though.  You may need to do add a layer of dielectric to protect them if you use that case.

Do you have recommendations on some materials or coatings to use to avoid electrical shorts in the aluminum case and how to install or apply these?

You want 'electrical tape'. You can but it at all hardware stores  :thumb: Here you can see my Planck formed bottom, that I just taped to hell and back to stop any possible shorts (due to my build being hand wired):

Also... I am looking at my 'keyboard stuff' budget. Really want to get involved with all this alps buzz!

Offline mattbox

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 14:16:30 »
Just filled out the google form, can't wait. Now all I need to do is find a good Apple Extended II.

Offline U47

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 15:53:28 »

Solder sucker works wonders at desoldering switches. Any stubborn ones can be solved with solder wick.

Switches are about the easiest thing you can desolder, actually.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 16:09:49 »
Oh I'm not worried about the soldering, more about the switches from the plate - is there a special tool or something?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #130 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 16:57:52 »
Yet Another Naive Question (YANQ):

Could someone elaborate on the firmware for the PCB? For example, if I wanted to remap the standard layout for the AT101W plate to something close to a HHKB layout (swap Backspace and Backslash; swap CapsLock and Left Ctrl; swap Alt and OS; and remap Right Ctrl as Fn) or, if I wanted to go with the HHKB plate and map the keys exactly like a HHKB Pro 2 keyboard, will this be straightforward to do?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 17:06:22 »
Yet Another Naive Question (YANQ):

Could someone elaborate on the firmware for the PCB? For example, if I wanted to remap the standard layout for the AT101W plate to something close to a HHKB layout (swap Backspace and Backslash; swap CapsLock and Left Ctrl; swap Alt and OS; and remap Right Ctrl as Fn) or, if I wanted to go with the HHKB plate and map the keys exactly like a HHKB Pro 2 keyboard, will this be straightforward to do?

It is straightforward if you have much experience with C++.  You can just swap the keymapping in the files and reflash to change things.  The TMK firmware is well supported by hasu and others who have trod the path.  There are plenty of examples in the code as well.

Offline Freetail

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 19:20:03 »
Just put down an order for 2 PCBs and plates along with some switches :)

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 21:26:47 »
Oh I'm not worried about the soldering, more about the switches from the plate - is there a special tool or something?
They're not really held on by the plate. All you have to do is tap the desoldered pins with a blunt object (like a small rubber mallet, back of a screwdriver, or whatever you can think of) and it will pop right out as long as the pins aren't bent.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 21:30:49 »
They're not really held on by the plate. All you have to do is tap the desoldered pins with a blunt object (like a small rubber mallet, back of a screwdriver, or whatever you can think of) and it will pop right out as long as the pins aren't bent.

I desoldered an entire board worth of orange Alps and I can't even remember popping them off of the plate. Which leads me to believe they come out pretty easily, otherwise I'd have vivid memories of a great struggle.

My boards:
More

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #135 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 21:54:36 »
What is the current deadline? I'm strapped of cash and this is too good to pass up. I'm wanting some alps love.

Offline jevvix

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 22:07:55 »
Really want some plates but without a source for classic Alps style plate stabs I suppose they won't do me any good. I can't bring myself to salvage any of my old Alps boards  :(

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 22:12:06 »
What is the current deadline? I'm strapped of cash and this is too good to pass up. I'm wanting some alps love.

October 5th.  Is the deadline.  Don't go full wallethack if you can't afford it.  Were you looking to order a full set or just a few bits?  I'm considering holding the deadline for switches open a smidge longer since I think they will ship faster than the plates and pcbs could. 

Really want some plates but without a source for classic Alps style plate stabs I suppose they won't do me any good. I can't bring myself to salvage any of my old Alps boards  :(

There is always the Matias stab option.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #138 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 22:30:21 »

Just try to be careful not to break (if you can) the little plastic prongs that help hold the switches to the plate.  I always ended up breaking some of them when trying to get stubborn switches out.

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 23:27:05 »

October 5th.  Is the deadline.  Don't go full wallethack if you can't afford it.  Were you looking to order a full set or just a few bits?  I'm considering holding the deadline for switches open a smidge longer since I think they will ship faster than the plates and pcbs could. 

There is always the Matias stab option.
Well it appears that I'll miss the GB, I just was in the market for one of the PCBS and one plate, but thank you anyways for running the GB for everyone else.  :)

Offline braidn

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 07:37:20 »
Finally In! Psyched

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #141 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 07:51:42 »
Hmm...I was thinking some, then looked at some pictures of Pokers without keycaps on.  It looks like on those boards, the plate is not screwed to the case.  If I wanted to build my board without a pcb, I'd have no way to attach the plate to the case it seems.  Is this assumption correct?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 08:02:42 »
Hmm...I was thinking some, then looked at some pictures of Pokers without keycaps on.  It looks like on those boards, the plate is not screwed to the case.  If I wanted to build my board without a pcb, I'd have no way to attach the plate to the case it seems.  Is this assumption correct?

Right, the PCB is what attaches to the case, by screwing into standoffs in the case. The holes in the plate are larger than the screw heads, so that the screws can be installed/removed with the plate in place.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 08:05:38 »

Right, the PCB is what attaches to the case, by screwing into standoffs in the case. The holes in the plate are larger than the screw heads, so that the screws can be installed/removed with the plate in place.

Ah nuts I thought I wasn't going to need the pwb but I guess I do. Oh well, I can us the teensy for another project down the road I suppose.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 23:08:14 »
Counts updated

BlueNalgene is drunk

Beer + no food since breakfast = mahsfgl;alfj

sleep now

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 02:20:43 »
Let's all double or orders while he is asleep! I haven't actually ordered anything yet, but...

Could I request that you add Japan to that must of shipping estimates? I also wonder which player is the most popular.

For those of you who ordered the HHKB plate, what are you going to do for a case? I will definitely get one AEKII ANSI plate and another as yet undecided plate.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 06:56:28 »
Gaa October 5th is a little tight for me as well, but I can swing it, if necessary.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 10:30:06 »

(Attachment Link)

Any idea what year that was from?

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 10:37:14 »
Should I use any method to my madness with regards to selecting which switches to harvest from my AEK?  Just do the 60%? pick ones that probably have less use? Should I keep the locking switch somewhere?

To much time to wait without thinking and planning things if you know what I mean  :eek:

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 10:41:51 »
HANNIBAL IS NEARING THE GATES PEOPLE :cool: