Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 300361 times)

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:50:34 »

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:52:36 »

It feels like we are in for something special with this Alps love. I don't really know a lot about what I will need, but most of my questions have been answered already.

I just picked up an AEKII with pink Alps for what I think was a reasonable price. What would you guys do? It seems really brutal to tear this thing apart to harvest for switches.

The AEKII is a fine board. I have a completely untouched, mint condition AEKII that will be staying that way - but I also picked up a couple rough ones to harvest from.

Think of it as giving the old girl a new lease on life.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:53:15 »
It feels like we are in for something special with this Alps love. I don't really know a lot about what I will need, but most of my questions have been answered already.

I just picked up an AEKII with pink Alps for what I think was a reasonable price. What would you guys do? It seems really brutal to tear this thing apart to harvest for switches.

Try it and see. You'll need to buy an ADB to USB converter to use the board as-is. Or you can harvest the switches and the caps for a 60% board and get in on this buy.

I have two AEKs. I used the caps from one of them along with some orange alps from an Apple IIGS board, and made an AEKII 60% using this same PCB from round 2. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing with the other one, but it's not my favorite as-is.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:53:22 »

Hrm, perfect timing?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/60-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open

Oh, and blue to match the Alpine set?? whuut

Also:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tex-acrylic-cnc-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open

3 hours left on the first drop I linked, I just joined myself - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/60-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open

I can not decide between this one and the acrylic one.

Get both! Build two alps boards! Everyone needs more Alps in their lives.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:54:42 »
Nice GB.

What about AT101 with 1u Winkey cutouts?

I don't see how 60% cases can support Winkey blockers, so that might be a better idea IMO :P
CommonCurt brought this up to me as well.  Something tells me I didn't understand what you guys wanted.  Pic of the layout, and I will fix it.

Thank you  :)   Like this.

Show Image

Ok, I made it.

Show Image

I need to see if the change will be acceptable for the two people who have ordered the wkl already.  Otherwise, I will just make a new plate option on the form.

Have you heard back from the two people to see if you will be making a new plate option for this?

When I order should I go ahead and select AT101, or are you going to name it something like "AT101 with 1u"?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 23:08:56 »
Nice GB.

I don't see how 60% cases can support Winkey blockers, so that might be a better idea IMO :P
CommonCurt brought this up to me as well.  Something tells me I didn't understand what you guys wanted.  Pic of the layout, and I will fix it.

Show Image

Ok, I made it.

Show Image

I need to see if the change will be acceptable for the two people who have ordered the wkl already.  Otherwise, I will just make a new plate option on the form.

Have you heard back from the two people to see if you will be making a new plate option for this?

When I order should I go ahead and select AT101, or are you going to name it something like "AT101 with 1u"?

I am still waiting on one person to respond, and he/she is on the other side of the planet.  So I will hopefully know the situation tomorrow morning.  I will post an update to the OP when I make any changes, and I will make a post so that it comes up in the Spy and Watched Topics part of the site.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 23:11:01 »
More
Nice GB.

Show Image

Ok, I made it.

Show Image

I am still waiting on one person to respond, and he/she is on the other side of the planet.  So I will hopefully know the situation tomorrow morning.  I will post an update to the OP when I make any changes, and I will make a post so that it comes up in the Spy and Watched Topics part of the site.

K thanks  :thumb:
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 23:16:16 »

De-solder those switches and never look back! :)

The AEKII is a fine board. I have a completely untouched, mint condition AEKII that will be staying that way - but I also picked up a couple rough ones to harvest from.

Think of it as giving the old girl a new lease on life.

Try it and see. You'll need to buy an ADB to USB converter to use the board as-is. Or you can harvest the switches and the caps for a 60% board and get in on this buy.

I have two AEKs. I used the caps from one of them along with some orange alps from an Apple IIGS board, and made an AEKII 60% using this same PCB from round 2. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing with the other one, but it's not my favorite as-is.

Thanks for the insights guys. I think I will get it cleaned up and working, then see how I like it. Either way I am in for PCB and a plate.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 03:56:44 »
question, does at101 have stepped capslock?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 08:14:12 »
Hey, Alps fans. Just wanted to let you all know that the Alpine Winter GB thread is now live here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75515.0

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline braidn

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 11:42:30 »
Ok, so Matias sells stabs, check. Would just a set of costa clips work for connecting to the plate? Second question, does anyone know if anyone is selling 6u spacebar stab wires? I have never seen them but, maybe looking in the wrong place. Thanks for the help all. Very interested in this just not sure, on the tiny tiny details.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 11:46:18 »
Ok, so Matias sells stabs, check. Would just a set of costa clips work for connecting to the plate? Second question, does anyone know if anyone is selling 6u spacebar stab wires? I have never seen them but, maybe looking in the wrong place. Thanks for the help all. Very interested in this just not sure, on the tiny tiny details.

1. No, the plates aren't designed to accept Costar stabilizer inserts at all. They will accept the Matias inserts, as well as salvaged old Alps inserts.
2. I've never seen any 6u wires for sale. Maybe nickheller will bend us some. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 12:56:13 »
Tempting. Too bad I'm in bad financial situation for the time being. :'( Anyway: is there any chance to add Matias ALPS stabilizers on this GB?

Hrm, perfect timing?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/60-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open

Oh, and blue to match the Alpine set?? whuut

Also:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tex-acrylic-cnc-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open

3 hours left on the first drop I linked, I just joined myself - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/60-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open

I can not decide between this one and the acrylic one.

If you don't mind simple, cheap ABS cases, you can buy some here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-Keyboard-GH60-plastic-Case-for-60-Mechanical-Keyboard-Compatoble-PBT-Keycaps-Poker2-Pok3r-Faceu-60/32311183273.html
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 September 2015, 13:02:27 by VinnyCordeiro »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 13:06:08 »
A GB for stabilizers is starting to sound like a good idea...

My boards:
More

Offline braidn

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 13:35:49 »
When it comes to the stabs, inserts I have reached out to Matias. Basically immediately after my last comment above. Will keep the thread up to date with their response. However a way to include inserts, stabs and wires into the GB would be grand. Especially with the infinity 6u spacebar layout. Now saying that, does the infinity plate allow for a longer, more standard spacebar or is it only the 6u? The only thing I want with the infinity layout is the dropped backspace (second row/more hhkb). The spacebar size doesn't bother me, and I would rather it be more standard.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 13:47:26 »
When it comes to the stabs, inserts I have reached out to Matias. Basically immediately after my last comment above. Will keep the thread up to date with their response. However a way to include inserts, stabs and wires into the GB would be grand. Especially with the infinity 6u spacebar layout. Now saying that, does the infinity plate allow for a longer, more standard spacebar or is it only the 6u? The only thing I want with the infinity layout is the dropped backspace (second row/more hhkb). The spacebar size doesn't bother me, and I would rather it be more standard.

I don't think you'd be able to use a 6.2 or 7U spacebar with the Infinity plate. It's an all or nothing deal.

My boards:
More

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 14:01:31 »
Just signed up for pcb and infinity plate! I'll finally be able to put my Brown Alps in!

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 14:41:53 »
question, does at101 have stepped capslock?

No it does not.  Sorry.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 14:50:39 »
Major changes/update

The AT101 style plate now officially has the 1u middle key as part of the layout.  No changes are needed to your order as everyone approved the change.
Per request in IC, an HHKB style plate was added.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 15:21:57 »
Finally overcame my plate anxiety and signed up!

I'm in for two PCBs, a Dell ANSI and Infinity plate, and some clicky and quiet Matias switches.

My boards:
More

Offline braidn

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 15:25:28 »
I am assuming but, the plate/pcb will work with this case?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/royal-glam-60-wood-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 15:29:28 »
How similar is the Dell AT101W plate to a KBP V60 plate? The two look identical but I wan't to make sure before I place my order.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 15:30:33 »
How similar is the Dell AT101W plate to a KBP V60 plate? The two look identical but I wan't to make sure before I place my order.

They are the same layout. This is standard ANSI.

My boards:
More

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 15:37:36 »
Looks like I'm down for an AT101W plate  ;D

Offline U47

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 15:44:40 »
Any clues as to what shade of blue will be used for the power coat for those of us getting the HHKB plate who are exhibitionists?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 15:49:05 »

Yep,  just the AT101 has a stepped Capslock.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 15:50:55 »

Has this been discussed? Because looking at the plate drawings, both the AT101 and AT101W have the same location for the Caps Lock switch (non-stepped).

My boards:
More

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 15:51:07 »
I was going to do plate and pcb but changed my mind.  I think I edited my response but if I failed at that I just want a plate.  I already have a teensy and a pile of diodes shouldn't cost me $40.  Mine will be going in a pok3r case if everything goes as planned.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 September 2015, 15:52:51 by tominabox1 »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 15:53:29 »

Has this been discussed? Because looking at the plate drawings, both the AT101 and AT101W have the same location for the Caps Lock switch (non-stepped).

Good question.  I assumed that it was known. 
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 16:01:56 »
I was going to do plate and pcb but changed my mind.  I think I edited my response but if I failed at that I just want a plate.  I already have a teensy and a pile of diodes shouldn't cost me $40.  Mine will be going in a pok3r case if everything goes as planned.

If you are young, motivated, and have more time than money, your method is suitable.

Those of us who are old, busy, and have more money than available time will choose to purchase a PCB. ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 16:15:36 »

If you are young, motivated, and have more time than money, your method is suitable.

Those of us who are old, busy, and have more money than available time will choose to purchase a PCB. ;)
I'm an electrical engineer, age 29 on Sunday, and a ham radio operator,  I think I can handle it lol can't wait 

Thanks to the contributors

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 16:16:36 »

I'm an electrical engineer, age 29 on Sunday, and a ham radio operator,  I think I can handle it lol can't wait 

Thanks to the contributors

You can do it! Did you read Matt3o's guide?

73 de N5JDC

in memoriam

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 16:21:04 »

I looked at the order sheet, and you are signed up for 1 plate and 0 pcb.  You're good to go.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 17:38:13 »

Good question.  I assumed that it was known.

Hrm, I know with some research I've found that the AT101 has a bit of an offset (1-2mm) but it definitely doesn't look it in the plate diagram as it looks identical to the AEKII and AT101W.

Who was the original plate designer?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 17:43:01 »
I'm working on a solution to the stepped Capslock issue right now. 

Can I see a show of hands, of the folks that ordered a Dell style board, who was going to cannibalize an old stepped caps and who was going to use something new (e.g. Alpine Winter)?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 17:44:06 »

Can I see a show of hands, of the folks that ordered a Dell style board, who was going to cannibalize an old stepped caps and who was going to use something new (e.g. Alpine Winter)?

Seems like a good time to mention that Alpine Winter does not include a stepped Caps Lock.

My boards:
More

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 17:45:58 »
I'm not sure, but I hope it's cut for a stepped. I planned on using stock AT101 or SGI caps.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 17:49:05 »

I was going to use a non-stepped (swapping a set from a big-ass enter everything but the enter). But if I'm the only one I can roll to a different plate.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 17:51:24 »
Alpine Winter here, so no stepped caps lock..

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 21:30:57 »
Just a word on stabs: the plates in this GB use Alps stabilizer inserts. I'm not sure what kind of inserts the Tai Hao keysets from Massdrop use, but I know SP uses cherry costar-style keycap stab inserts. So the Matias stab wires will not fit SP caps. You will have to bend custom wires to use with SP Alps caps.

The Alps stabs that Matias sells should work with the Costar-style inserts. I just need to modify the plate drawings to include both "positions" for the stab clips. I'm only waiting on Edgar to get back to me with the dimensions for those (he's in China right now).

You're a daisy if ya do!

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 01:57:46 »
This will fit a standard 60% case right?

Is there a place i can source stabilisers?

I have a broken AEKII

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 10:06:06 »
This will fit a standard 60% case right?

Is there a place i can source stabilisers?

I have a broken AEKII

Matias sells them (look at 'Matias ALPS keycaps' section), but I think those are expensive. A group buy probably would lower this.

Offline braidn

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 11:34:32 »
Has anyone purchased the Matias Stab and Hook set? Does it come with enough for 1 key or a full 60% keyboard?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 11:48:56 »
@BlueNalgene: Could there be a plate option for the Infinity Standard, or is this equivalent to one of the plates already shown?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 12:45:35 »
@BlueNalgene: Could there be a plate option for the Infinity Standard, or is this equivalent to one of the plates already shown?
Infinity Standard is not available. It would be standard ANSI with a uniform 1U top row instead of the wide backspace.

My boards:
More

Offline Våtdräktsman

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 14:43:42 »
What kind of blue are we talking about for the powder coat? Are there any examples?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 16:59:22 »
What kind of blue are we talking about for the powder coat? Are there any examples?

I'm sorry.  I'm afraid I don't have any examples.  I haven't had a chance to get out to the powder coating place in person yet to do that, and the dude doesn't have an email address to get a sample pic sent. 

I am going to shoot for something metallic and looking that would work well with the blue color used in aluminum poker style cases while still being dark enough to visually 'pop' from it.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 17:11:11 »
Updated the counts.  The powder coating option has now passed MOQ, and the Quiet Click switches have breached into a lower price bracket.

A response about the Stepped/Unstepped Dell plates.  It is going to confuse me to add any more plates to this buy, so I'm just going to let people order.  When it comes time for me to send an invoice, I will send a question out to all of the participants who ordered a Dell style plate and just ask if they wanted stepped or unstepped caps lock.

To reiterate: Whether you want to use a stepped caps lock on your dell type board or not, I can take care of you.  Don't worry about a thing babydoll.  I will just ask you to clarify which one you want when I send the invoice.

This is a bunch of work, but I'm not stressing about it.  But remember those 145 circuit boards I got in the mail last week? Well those have to be installed and working in the field by Wednesday, so I'm going to just push the stepped caps lock issue to a later date when I have more time to do all of the PM stuff.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 17:19:28 »
I'm dithering over which plates to get and sourcing or making the stabilizers. I would like to end up with a HHKB layout or something easily remapped to the same. When I am not using my HHKB, I currently have a V60MTS remapped to a HHKB layout. So, the plates I am considering are the HHKB, Infinity Hacker, and AT101W. Maybe someone could push me in the right direction regarding choice of plates and sourcing/making the stabilizers.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 17:22:08 »
I'm dithering over which plates to get and sourcing or making the stabilizers. I would like to end up with a HHKB layout or something easily remapped to the same. When I am not using my HHKB, I currently have a V60MTS remapped to a HHKB layout. So, the plates I am considering are the HHKB, Infinity Hacker, and AT101W. Maybe someone could push me in the right direction regarding choice of plates and sourcing/making the stabilizers.

Do you have caps ready to go?  That would influence decisions.