Author Topic: PayPal's email address policy: does anyone have a firm grasp of this?  (Read 3318 times)

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
Hello,

I would like to donate money to a group via PayPal.  The problem?  I have no way of knowing what, exactly, happens to my email address once I do so. 

(And, yes: I am convinced that the group is trustworthy.  However, I can easily recall groups I have dealt with who decided, overnight, to trade their trustworthiness for money.  I am sure you can, too.)

The impression I am under is: When I donate via PayPal, PayPal includes my primary email address along with the donation (i.e. there is no "do not reveal my email address" option for anyone sending money).

My questions are:

1) Is the above impression correct?

2) If I change my primary email address, is there a limit to how many times I can do so before PayPal either locks me out of my account and/or invites me to fax them a copy of my passport (or some other "security measure" that is going to involve me turning over personal information I am not particularly eager to give them).

If anyone reading this has experience with how this sort of thing works and would be willing to share their know-how, I would be grateful.  I do not use PayPal any more than I have to, but in this case, it cannot be helped and cryptocurrencies are not an option.

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 October 2021, 22:52:48 by Stupidface »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: PayPal's email address policy: does anyone have a firm grasp of this?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 01:37:30 »
Yes they see your address and depending on the transaction they even get your name and other info such as address.

Don't change your primary address, add a secondary address and use that, though I'm not sure how easy it is to send from the secondary, I only know how you receive through them. Never had a need but I don't see why it can't be done.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Coreda

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 02:04:17 »
If you wanted more anonymity and it was a payment option you could look at prepaid gift debit cards.

Offline Stupidface

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 04:49:13 »
Don't change your primary address, add a secondary address and use that, though I'm not sure how easy it is to send from the secondary

Thank you for the reply.

My understanding (far from complete) is that adding a secondary email address and sending money from the secondary email address still results in your primary email address being displayed to the receiver.

(I know how that sounds, but judging from their so-called "help" section, PayPal appears to be under the impression that account holders only add email addresses in order to receive funds, not to send them.)

With any luck, I am completely mistaken about this.

Offline Stupidface

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 04:55:50 »
If you wanted more anonymity and it was a payment option you could look at prepaid gift debit cards.

Unfortunately, PayPal is my only choice in this case.  Otherwise, yes, this would be a good way to go.

(I appreciate the idea nonetheless.)