Author Topic: [IC] DCS Wyse Compatibility Kit 2020 - awaiting GB thread approval...  (Read 25500 times)

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
Re: [IC] Compatibility kits for vintage Wyse keycaps
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 08:00:35 »
Looks like we aren't going to get a final pricing update before Thanksgiving.

Some more updates:
  • In Europe, this will be sold through a vendor. Unfortunately the price will have to be a bit higher than in other regions, but this will hopefully be offset by better shipping prices.
  • Interest check responses have been surprisingly slow. However, we got a significant surge after posting to Reddit, which suggests that it is more of a marketing problem than an interest problem. I will continue working on publicizing Wyse keycaps in general and this set in particular.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 November 2019, 21:44:38 by tex_live_utility »
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 19:13:08 »
Has there been any development on this set?

I am interested in purchasing at least one of the kits + I really could use that 'anachronism' kit.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 09:10:52 »
Good thing you asked! Big update coming this week/weekend, keep your eyes open :eek:
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 19:02:00 »
All right. You know I'm in.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 23:06:36 »
Here to wait for the update.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 09:03:57 »
The big update is here!!!

I want to start the GB in early March.

I now have pricing for the Euro and Anachronism kits. Both Euro and Anachronism should be $15 or less. My objective is to get as many of these kits made as I can, so I'm trying to get prices as low as possible while still making sure proxies will be paid for their effort, shipping is covered, sorting errors can be rectified, etc.

Speaking of proxy pricing, the European proxy will be Mykeyboard.eu. Proxy pricing is in the final stages.

It's been called to my attention that the original PCE keyboard has text + icon modifiers, whereas the ASCII and Gate Array keyboards have only text. Moreover, text+icon was used in the original Moogle kit group buy. At least one person has requested switching from text-only to text+icon. I'm attaching a KLE mockup here; note that the legends would still be standard SP legends, so the Shift key will have a closed bottom and the icons will be proportioned as usual compared to the text. I've been convinced to switch to text+icon modifiers for the sake of historical consistency. If anyone has strong feelings about the modifier legends, now is your chance to speak up.

234425-0

For the 1u "windows" key icon, I'm still deciding on whether to use a diamond, a star, or a vintage Windows 95 logo. I personally like the retro Windows logo best, but I will only use it if SP has it in stock and can make it doubleshot. Otherwise I will use the star icon as a homage to the original kit. The original kit had all 3, but for cost reasons we can only choose 1. Here's the Windows logo on a Filco:

234429-1

and here are the diamond and star options from a previous Moogle kit run:

234427-2

These photos should give a good sense of how the new caps will look. I am planning to use the same stock colors (although I'm aware of the "batch variation" problem that Oblotzky highlighted in an earlier post).

Edit: thank you to LightningXI for some very helpful feedback, as well as the sexy photo of the Moogle kit on the Filco.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 January 2020, 09:24:49 by tex_live_utility »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: [IC] Compatibility kits for vintage Wyse keycaps (Moogle kit 2020)
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 23:18:27 »
One last correction I could think of was that the Ctrl keys could all be spelled out as Control.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 13:44:10 »
One last correction I could think of was that the Ctrl keys could all be spelled out as Control.

Yup, this was pointed out to me already and will be fixed.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 23:05:07 »
Sorry for double post, but I'm still waiting on pricing information from Mykeyboard.eu. Thanks for being patient everyone!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 12:12:03 »
Pricing from Mykeyboard is in! Currently finalizing things with Luffy before final prices are announced.

Currently looking for a last-minute vendor for SEA or Australia, since Luffy in Korea will not be able to ship internationally. Please let me know if you're willing to proxy :eek:

Some legend changes have been made:

• "Ctrl" legends on the 1.5u keys have been changed to "Control", but I left the 1.25u keys as "Ctrl" because that seems to be standard pretty much everywhere
  • The icon on the ANSI Enter key has been moved to the right side of the text, to conform with how it appears on the original PCE keyboard; this is different from modern DCS, so I will revert to left-side icon if it adds to the cost
  • The ISO Enter legend has been modified to conform with modern DCS style, as shown here: https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-ktpi93fl/products/87/images/1257/whiteISO__02253.1525808767.1280.1280.jpg
  • The Diamond icons have been moved to the left, not centered; this is still subject to change and is not final
  • The "Menu" text has been replaced by the SP standard icon; this is still subject to change and is not final
  • The 1.25u "Shift" key might become icon-only
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 February 2020, 12:55:59 by tex_live_utility »

Offline Quinella

Re: [IC] Adapter kits for vintage Wyse keysets (aka Moogle kit) - March GB???
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 02:10:52 »
Daily Clack for OCE!

Offline Shadohhh

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:43:34 »
Filled out the form. Everything seems reasonable. I hope this gets a chance to run. Would love these adapter kits.

Offline Zeroix7

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 08:03:40 »
Daily Clack for Aus vendor please!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
Daily Clack for Aus vendor please!

Your wish has been granted :eek:

Update time!

• Group buy start date announced: April 1, 2020. Duration still TBD.
  • Dailyclack will proxy for Australia and Oceania; iLumKB will proxy for Asia outside of Korea. Feel free to order from whoever has the cheapest shipping, they are both standup vendors.
  • Logo now avail. Please feel free to share!

My deepest thanks to Dakota Felder for his Open Gorton typeface, which is available for free under the MIT license: https://github.com/dakotafelder/open-gorton

Please use the following code if you want to embed in your forum signature:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100969.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/RX8ZTrf.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 March 2020, 19:26:41 by tex_live_utility »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: [IC] DCS Wyse Compatibility Kit 2020 - GB April 1! Proxies announced!
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 20:39:37 »
Hyped.

Offline JwordFish

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 17:18:25 »
Let’s go!! Can’t wait to upcycle some older and WYSE-er caps.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 18:13:20 »
Did you give up on the idea of a 65% compat kit?

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 13:10:57 »

Not entirely. I have to badger SP to see what kind of pricing they can give me.

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: [IC] DCS Wyse compatibiilty kit: new kits and pricing as of November 6!
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 15:09:04 »
Hopefully that last post didn't sound dismissive. Keep the suggestions coming, please!

Don't forget, at the end of the day we just want to keep these nice keysets out of the trash:

Show Image

Picture credit due to TheInverseKey.

Hey, does anyone know which WYSE board that is? One of my keycap sets is definitely from that.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 16:09:45 »
Hopefully that last post didn't sound dismissive. Keep the suggestions coming, please!

Don't forget, at the end of the day we just want to keep these nice keysets out of the trash:

Show Image

Picture credit due to TheInverseKey.

Hey, does anyone know which WYSE board that is? One of my keycap sets is definitely from that.

It's usually called "Gate Array" layout. The PCE and ASCII kits together should work with these caps.

Offline monteyalps

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 10:43:24 »
Just pulled the trigger on a WYSE PCE on ebay for $60 without even knowing this existed.

I'm in for a PCE set for sure!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 13:24:49 »

What keys do you consider essential to 65%? Considering that you know my opinion - "just use the miscellaneous 1u keys anyway". Is just R2 PgUp and R3 PgDn sufficient?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 13:52:21 »

What keys do you consider essential to 65%? Considering that you know my opinion - "just use the miscellaneous 1u keys anyway". Is just R2 PgUp and R3 PgDn sufficient?

The standard keys needed to cover most 65% and 75% layouts are: R1 Home, R1 Delete, R2 Delete, R2 PgUp, R3 PgDn, R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn, R4 End, R4 Fn. Some of these keys, like the R1 Home and R2 Delete, are covered by standard TKL nav keys, while others, like the R1 Delete and R4 Fn, are covered by compat for other layouts, such as 1800/CP and 60%/HHKB. That leaves just R2 PgUp, R3 PgDn, R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn, R4 End as strictly 65%/75% keys.

However, the situation here isn't as clear cut since there are several distinct layouts of Wyse keyboards that this kit is trying to cover, and not all of those keyboards come with keys that we would otherwise consider a given (e.g. the TKL nav keys). You'll have to take all of this into account and decide what's best for the kit overall.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2020, 13:55:36 by constexpr »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 13:58:06 »
By the way, regardless of that, I think the Futurism kit should definitely have a R4 1u Fn key. As for the existing R3 1.25u Fn key, I'm not sure how useful that is. Is it intended for 40% layouts?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 14:53:55 »

It's usually called "Gate Array" layout. The PCE and ASCII kits together should work with these caps.

Thanks. That's my assessment as well. I have two WYSE sets, and those two kits should work with either. Finally, I'll be able to use a good-condition set that is missing a bottom-row.

Gonna want those anachronistic accent keys, as well.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 09:53:41 »

The standard keys needed to cover most 65% and 75% layouts are: R1 Home, R1 Delete, R2 Delete, R2 PgUp, R3 PgDn, R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn, R4 End, R4 Fn. Some of these keys, like the R1 Home and R2 Delete, are covered by standard TKL nav keys, while others, like the R1 Delete and R4 Fn, are covered by compat for other layouts, such as 1800/CP and 60%/HHKB. That leaves just R2 PgUp, R3 PgDn, R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn, R4 End as strictly 65%/75% keys.

However, the situation here isn't as clear cut since there are several distinct layouts of Wyse keyboards that this kit is trying to cover, and not all of those keyboards come with keys that we would otherwise consider a given (e.g. the TKL nav keys). You'll have to take all of this into account and decide what's best for the kit overall.

Agreed that it's not so clear cut. One obvious oversight in the existing kits is R2 Delete and R1 Insert, which are available in PCE but not ASCII boards.

Due to the current economic situation we are already looking at the possibility of reducing MOQs and splitting/reshuffling kits. I will try to take the above into account, but can't make any guarantees.

By the way, regardless of that, I think the Futurism kit should definitely have a R4 1u Fn key. As for the existing R3 1.25u Fn key, I'm not sure how useful that is. Is it intended for 40% layouts?

I use HHKB layout mostly, so I consider this my territory. I don't think this key is needed at all for 60%. Use use an Up arrow. If you want split right shift on TKL (I do this) or 65/75... maybe, although I still think you should just use the "No Scroll" key from an ASCII board, or one of the 1u keys from the planned PCE kit. I'll consider it in conjunction with the above.

Offline Shadohhh

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 17:07:49 »
Tomorrow?  ;D

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 19:36:48 »
Tomorrow, yes!! The group buy will run from April 1 through April 30.

Also, in light of the Coronavirus having a serious effect on the economy, we have decided to reshuffle the kits. I know, I know, I know: this is not ideal the night before the GB starts. I solicited quite a bit of feedback while developing these new kits, and we think that these kits will do a better job of hitting MOQs while keeping things affordable. Note that Signature Plastics pricing does NOT provide significant discounts for combining kits, so I tried to split things up in such a way that we are not forced to subsidize each other's particular preferences.

Final kits

MOQs and pricing

Note that vendor pricing might be slightly different due to local taxes and exchange rates.

• PCE @ 75 MOQ: $35.50
  • ASCII @ 50 MOQ: $29
  • Numpad / 1800 @ 25 MOQ: $17
  • Blue Accent @ 25 MOQ: $11.50
  • Small Form Factor @ 25 MOQ: $29.50

I know that we said the ASCII kit would be under $20. With the reduced MOQ, this proved to be unrealistic :(

That said, the most important "headline" cost is PCE + ASCII, which is $62.50. If you add the cost of a Wyse keyset to this price, you can still have a fully-covered keyboard (and standard numpad) for under $100.

Speaking of vintage keycaps... I'm working on a deal to try and get some original Wyse keysets to sell in conjunction with this group buy. So if you don't have a Wyse board already, you might be in luck! I won't have everything available on day 1 of the group buy, but it will all be announced long before the buy is over. I am also doing my best to adhere to the $100 total price tag stated above.

Thank you all for your continued interest and patience. I know this has been a slightly erratic interest check, and these are confusing unpredictable times. Let's all take solace in these beautiful old keycaps to see us into the summer months. I'm looking forward to getting this underway and getting these keycaps out into the world :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 March 2020, 19:57:00 by tex_live_utility »

Offline Shadohhh

Re: [IC] DCS Wyse Compatibility Kit 2020 - going live TOMORROW !!!
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 19:09:03 »
Dang, got April fooled

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
Re: [IC] DCS Wyse Compatibility Kit 2020 - going live TOMORROW !!!
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 19:22:03 »
Waiting on thread approval  :'(

I guess start date is April 2 now....

Offline Shadohhh

Re: [IC] DCS Wyse Compatibility Kit 2020 - awaiting GB thread approval...
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 19:35:39 »
Sweet appreciate the honest update :cool: