Author Topic: CM Storm need to make QuickFire Rapid 104 and dominate the market forever  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
I always wonder why they made QuickFire Pro instead of QuickFire Rapid 104?

Maybe at the time they wanted to save money by going with iOne?  Or maybe they figure QuickFire Rapid 104 wouldn't be "flashy" enough to sell as a gaming product?  Or maybe only a small group of people (like us) would know the difference between Costar and iOne anyway so not everyone will be able to appreciate that fact.

So what do you guys think?  I think they can either keep the led indicators on the key switch like the 87 key one or should they have indicator at the top right kind of like Filco, so when you have Num Lock on all the time it wouldn't look annoying on the key switch?

Also since they strip of all the branding, what should be at the top right corner?  Blank?  Or would that look too empty?

I don't know if this will ever happen but I think it wouldn't hurt to think about it, also this way we'll have an alternative best bang for the buck for full size keyboards  :P

EDIT:  Oh also what name would you call it?  QuickFire Rapid 104/105?  QuickFire Turbo?  QuickFire Burst?

DOUBLE EDIT:  It turns out they ARE coming out with this.  And it will be QuickFire XT.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 January 2013, 17:19:25 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Rumudiez

Re: CM Storm need to make QuickFire Rapid 104 and dominate the market forever
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:19:27 »
They already have two full size keyboards with your choice of Red, Black, Brown, or Blue switches and sometimes Green.. What is exactly the difference in board you're looking for?

40% layout, anyone?

Offline nullstring

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:28:54 »
Probably what he wants is a non-backlit full-size keyboard without macros, with a solid built, made by Costar and at a pricetag of US$ 85.

Now, remember, ISO uses 105 keys, so, calling it 104 isn't a good idea since they're sold world-wide.

And bloody hell, they just released Quickfire TK. I don't think they'll be making any new designs soon.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:31:06 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:34:28 »
They already have two full size keyboards with your choice of Red, Black, Brown, or Blue switches and sometimes Green.. What is exactly the difference in board you're looking for?

Bang for the buck like QuickFire Rapid.

Whats wrong with the CM storm trigger?

Macro keys, I dislike macro keys.  And uh...... price.

If someone ask you they want to buy a tenkeyless keyboard the first one in your mind will be most likely be QuickFire Rapid or Filco.

If someone ask you they want a full size board, most likely CM Storm Trigger or CM Storm QuickFire Pro will NOT be the first one in your mind.

Let's say QuickFire Rapid currently sells at $80 at most stores that I know.  If they can sell QuickFire Rapid 104 at $85 in my opinion it will be able to bump them over the competition in terms of price and quality.  CM Storm Trigger at $120 while it's nice but doesn't have the same effect as QuickFire Rapid's $80.

=================================================================

EDIT:  wetto beat me to it but yes he's exactly right  :)  Though sadly it might be like he said, since they just released TK so this will probably not happen unless they decide to remove QuickFire Pro from the lineup and replace it with the QuickFire Rapid 104/105.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:37:26 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline nullstring

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:41:03 »
I think thats because there are a bunch of costar made keyboards out there that are like you describe, except for maybe the price standpoint.

And.. just because geekhackers like minimalistic keyboards, doesn't mean the whole community does.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:55:40 »
I think thats because there are a bunch of costar made keyboards out there that are like you describe, except for maybe the price standpoint.

And.. just because geekhackers like minimalistic keyboards, doesn't mean the whole community does.

But you must admit, we are awesome...

Offline ih8

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:57:28 »
the trigger takes backlit keyboards to the end of the tacky scale

the pro just feels like garbage

Offline wetto

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 18:01:01 »
the trigger takes backlit keyboards to the end of the tacky scale

the pro just feels like garbage

We all can't deny Cooler Master sells gamer stuff anyway. Take a look at the new Quickfire TK, at the font and branding used on the Quickfire Rapid, at the tacky style of the Trigger...

Bloody hell if those aren't aimed at 14yo gamers....

And the Quickfire Pro should just go out of production. Seriously.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 18:03:04 »
I am looking to buy any fullsize CM keyboard that actually works on PS/2.

The ones I read reviews of on Newegg said they did not work.

Do they make one or am I just stuck with Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Rapid SGK-4000-GKCR1-US  as my only choice?

And if it has a wristrest it must be detachable.
If it has LED backlighting that is ok but they must be adjustable from the keyboard without installing any spyware on my computer.

I desparately need a new keyboard!  Topre refuses to sell me one at any price.  So its up to CoolerMaster to save me!

Thanx for infos.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 18:19:47 »
We all can't deny Cooler Master sells gamer stuff anyway.

Of course they do. That is, probably at least, why they have the volume to be able to sell the QFR for the prices that they do.  I can't really speak to the quality of the others as I haven't used them, but I'm not really in the market for fullsize boards. The TK doesn't look too bad though.
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline wetto

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 18:22:33 »

Of course they do. That is, probably at least, why they have the volume to be able to sell the QFR for the prices that they do.  I can't really speak to the quality of the others as I haven't used them, but I'm not really in the market for fullsize boards. The TK doesn't look too bad though.

I think just about the same, but we're kinda worried about what's the OEM of the Quickfire TK...

According to Carter:

Not iOne
Not Costar
Not i-Rocks

Bloody hell, that leaves us what?
My collection:
More

Offline Vintage

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 18:24:32 »
There is a full size bang-for-the-buck alternative..... the Rosewill RK-9000...

CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline wetto

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 18:36:48 »

Sold only in the United States, unfortunately...  :(
My collection:
More

Offline Hyde

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 18:58:04 »

Sells to Canada too but just based on the amount of complaints from the mini b connector issues, I'd not recommend them to anyone yet.

However they claim they "fixed" it, but at this point no one knows how well those green glue they slap on will hold.

Offline Glenn315

• Hey
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 19:22:32 »
The TKL isn't bling'd out with logos. :D

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 19:37:44 »

Sells to Canada too but just based on the amount of complaints from the mini b connector issues, I'd not recommend them to anyone yet.

However they claim they "fixed" it, but at this point no one knows how well those green glue they slap on will hold.

I have one in daily use to test this very thing.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Hyde

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 20:34:35 »
I have one in daily use to test this very thing.

lol nice, let us know how it is later.

On a side note, I brought up this topic because at the moment there isn't any Costar quality bang for the buck full size keyboard out there.  Maybe just Rosewill but it has that issue we just mentioned above.  I think Das Keyboard with student discount used to be the go to budget keyboard, but since the OEM switch we can't recommend them anymore.

Hopefully we'll have something new popping out of the horizon next year.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 20:49:07 »
I have two rosewill keyboards, and I couldn't recommend them more.

I honestly think the connector is overstated.
They also are apparently starting to sell ISO variants of the rosewill:
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/rosewill-rk-9000-in-iso-t4211.html

Offline phx

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 20:52:20 »
yeah I always wondered why they dont sell a 104 version of the QFR, I have the TKL and it's great. I really don't want any backlighting or all that brandings.

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 21:32:22 »

I think just about the same, but we're kinda worried about what's the OEM of the Quickfire TK...

According to Carter:

Not iOne
Not Costar
Not i-Rocks

How about TG3? They do make the Deck keyboards afterall...

I have two rosewill keyboards, and I couldn't recommend them more.

I honestly think the connector is overstated.
They also are apparently starting to sell ISO variants of the rosewill:
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/rosewill-rk-9000-in-iso-t4211.html

Glad to hear some positive things about them.
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline wetto

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 21:39:17 »

According to Carter:

Not iOne
Not Costar
Not i-Rocks

How about TG3? They do make the Deck keyboards afterall...

TG3 Electronics is based in the United States of America. All Déck keyboards are Made in USA.

I highly doubt Cooler Master would do something like that when the prices are gonna skyrocket and there's no assurance they can do the job better than Costar, which is cheaper.
My collection:
More

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 22:47:28 »
hang in there boys. It will be worth your wait

Offline wetto

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 23:56:21 »

I just hope the Quickfire TK replaces the Quickfire PRO and Cooler Master stops doing keyboards with iOne.

Seriously, I mean, when other people ask me:

Others: "Hey, are Cooler Master keyboards better than Razer's?"
Me: "Yeah, they're made by Costar, same OEM as lots of other top grade brands and the Quickfire Rapid feels, looks and is quite similar to a FILCO TKL, but just about half the price!"
Others: "Then, I'll be buying this Quickfire Pro keyboard! Looks cool and it's cheap!"
Me: "Errrrrr...."
My collection:
More

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 00:38:04 »

On a side note, I brought up this topic because at the moment there isn't any Costar quality bang for the buck full size keyboard out there.  Maybe just Rosewill but it has that issue we just mentioned above. 

What's wrong with a ducky?  I've got a couple of 1008s in service-- XM green at home, blue cherry at work, and they seem adequately built, if not anything to write home about.  What are you guys doing that destroys the connectors, though?
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 10:13:48 »

Ohhhhhh Carter has appeared !!!!!  *Throws pokeball*

Lol on a serious note does this means it might happen one day?  ;)

Offline wetto

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 10:48:58 »

If it means that the Quickfire Pro will go out of production and we'll get another solid Costar-made keyboard just like the Quickfire Rapid, but full-size, I'm in for it.
My collection:
More

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 14:36:54 »

If it means that the Quickfire Pro will go out of production and we'll get another solid Costar-made keyboard just like the Quickfire Rapid, but full-size, I'm in for it.

Funny.
I know two OEMs which are about this close to dumping Costar as their ODM, because they've had nothing but quality problems. They can't even come close to keeping up with the RMAs for the keycaps wearing out in less than 3 months, forget the rest of the problems. My favorite is the stiff and squeaky keys - from the factory, right past Costar QA, despite demands to fix it.
Hell, I have yet to see any Costar OEM that isn't having massive QC problems ranging from keycaps turning to dust in mere weeks to controller failure and so on. And these are on higher end Cherry MX boards, too.

So for the love of all that is holy, either put some decent keycaps and a decent controller in a Costar frame and force them to do proper QC, or just switch ODMs. PLEASE. I will gladly pay more for a TG3 with PBTs (that isn't Deck font or backlit,) just because at least then I don't KNOW it will fall apart in a month.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 14:37:17 »
Probably what he wants is a non-backlit full-size keyboard without macros, with a solid built, made by Costar and at a pricetag of US$ 85.

Now, remember, ISO uses 105 keys, so, calling it 104 isn't a good idea since they're sold world-wide.

And bloody hell, they just released Quickfire TK. I don't think they'll be making any new designs soon.

Nailed it.

Offline wetto

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 14:46:58 »

Funny.
I know two OEMs which are about this close to dumping Costar as their ODM, because they've had nothing but quality problems. They can't even come close to keeping up with the RMAs for the keycaps wearing out in less than 3 months, forget the rest of the problems. My favorite is the stiff and squeaky keys - from the factory, right past Costar QA, despite demands to fix it.
Hell, I have yet to see any Costar OEM that isn't having massive QC problems ranging from keycaps turning to dust in mere weeks to controller failure and so on. And these are on higher end Cherry MX boards, too.

So for the love of all that is holy, either put some decent keycaps and a decent controller in a Costar frame and force them to do proper QC, or just switch ODMs. PLEASE. I will gladly pay more for a TG3 with PBTs (that isn't Deck font or backlit,) just because at least then I don't KNOW it will fall apart in a month.

Why in the nine bloody hells am I not surprised...

I recommended FILCO keyboards for two people and both had squeaky keys problems, seems they're not applying anything to the stabilizers at all and the ones who get bothered by that and think that  the keyboard is faulty are the one's I recommended them to.

Though, I've already experienced seeing some OEM's quality going on a downhill, is this what's going on? Costar's quality is getting worse?
My collection:
More

Offline Hyde

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 00:06:47 »
I can speak for the quality because my Filco seems to be fine so far.

Though as far as the stabilizers go, I know they only lube the spacebar.  Only WASD keyboards lube all the long keys.  That and it's pretty easy lube the stabilizers if you want to.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 01:16:59 »
Trigger has a wrist rest and if you go shoppIng you could easily find a trigger for less than 100 bucks.
SmallFry! <3

Offline wetto

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 21:13:50 »
Sorry for ressurecting an old thread, but Cooler Master really did hear our wishes, eh?

CM Quick Fire XT seems to be coming out pretty soon...
My collection:
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 00:35:08 »
Don't know how much they actually took comments into consideration, but Carter (from CM who lurks around here) has been quick to respond many times, and provided comprehensive communication on a number of queries.

All good :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hyde

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 17:16:55 »
Sorry for ressurecting an old thread, but Cooler Master really did hear our wishes, eh?

Carter said QuickFire Stealth is coming in a month.  And QuickFire XT is coming late April.

But I gotta say CM Storm REALLY do listen to their fans  :)

Offline wetto

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 18:32:05 »

Carter said QuickFire Stealth is coming in a month.  And QuickFire XT is coming late April.

But I gotta say CM Storm REALLY do listen to their fans  :)

Really nice... I want to try them greens...

Though I just got my hands on this big guy by monday:

And although the key-caps really are inferior to the ones in the Das Keyboard and the Cherry Stabilizers really aren't as good as Costars (but they're not bad! And there's like a hundred advantages such as less maintenance, easier to remove and they allow backlit), the keyboard itself is great for gaming, it's built like a damn tank and the macro system is really damn good if you understand how it works!

But nevertheless, I want to try them greens!  :p
My collection:
More

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 19:45:51 »
Told everyone to hang in there ;)

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 19:47:56 »
Well, it's a good thing that you guys listened and removed all those logos from the QFR.  We're heading in the right direction.  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 19:49:16 »
Aye. Good work Carter!

Offline Hyde