Author Topic: Custom Keycaps for Unicomp BSs?  (Read 4190 times)

Offline RC-1140

Custom Keycaps for Unicomp BSs?
« on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 15:19:58 »
Hey,

maybe some of you remember me from my thread about the 122-Key Terminal Emulator from Unicomp.
The thing is, I just ordered it, and am already thinking about customizing it in some way. I would definitely love to have a titanium ESC key or something, but I'm not quite sure, whether it's possible to get Titanium keys at all, especially for buckling springs. I absolutely love the keys of clickclack too, but the keys he sells on elitekeyboards.com are not for Model M or Unicomps.
As an alternative I've been thinking about creating a key with shapeways.com, but I'm not quite sure, if they produce them precisely enough to fit, as you always see the printing layers and I couldn't decide for a material. Does anyone here know, where to get such a key for BS, or has experiences with such a 3d printing service?

Gee, I think I'm infected by geekhack. Some months before I not even knew about mechanical boards except the Razer, and now I already spent around 200$ (99$ for the board + shipping and taxes and a teensy controller for USB support for my notebook) for a keyboard and want to customize it...
What is this place doing to me?
Nevermind, I love it here.

greetings,

RC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Unicomp 122-Key Terminal Emulator - IBM Model M 1394309 - IBM Model M 1394312 (Terminal) - Cherry G84-4100 - Cherry G80-1800 MX Black - Cherry G80-2551HAD (with a spare NIB)

Offline N8N

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 15:52:59 »
could you use a procedure similar to what I did here to modify a Cherry or Alps key to work on a BS board?
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline RC-1140

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 16:15:58 »
wow, that's a lot of text, and it's been hard to work through all this (somehow it's hard to read a complicated text in a foreign language which is filled with lots of special vocabulary when it's 23:13 pm and you've been up since 03:00 am ;-) ).
But as far as I can understand basically what you point out is, that I should glue the stem of a BS key into the new one? *facepalm* I can't believe I didn't think of that.

So this might work. But still I would love to have a titanium key, and gluing a stem into that one would be, umm, problematic I guess.

But at least I have a starting point now. Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Unicomp 122-Key Terminal Emulator - IBM Model M 1394309 - IBM Model M 1394312 (Terminal) - Cherry G84-4100 - Cherry G80-1800 MX Black - Cherry G80-2551HAD (with a spare NIB)