Author Topic: IBM M15 / M2 replacement keycaps  (Read 2744 times)

Offline doctorpiorno

IBM M15 / M2 replacement keycaps
« on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 05:06:57 »
Hi all,

It's been a while since I last came in here. Glad to see the Geekhack community is still thriving!

I see a bit of a small keycap industry has emerged since I was last an active member here, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any suppliers that might sell replacement keycaps for an IBM Model M15? Mine has been going strong for over 10 years of really heavy use, but just yesterday the stabilizer bar on the left shift key finally gave up the ghost. The key is still usable, if fairly wobbly, but ideally I'd really love to find a replacement. Besides, Backspace is also on its last legs.

Apparently, the keycaps on the M15 are the same as the M2, so if no one is manufacturing replacement keysets, I would also be interested to hear if anyone has a non-functional M2 that could be cannibalized for parts.

Cheers,

Fran

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: IBM M15 / M2 replacement keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 06:54:39 »
If nobody replies here, you could try unicomp or clickykeyboards.

Otherwise your best bet may just be buying an m2 off ebay, they're not usually very expensive.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 07:03:52 »
I know that some people in the IRC chat would know. I don't know myself but I can find out for you. If I forget to respond here and you don't hear back in a couple days, please post this again in the "Simple Questions, Simple Answers" thread. It's sort of my baby and I keep an eye on that thread pretty closely so I'll definitely remember to hunt down an answer.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 14:38:12 »
For example: Non-functional M2 on eBay

Now, someone may want to tackle repairing it, or you may be able to snag it on the cheap.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 16:18:41 »
The word is that you'll need to harvest caps from old M15/M2 boards. There doesn't seem to be any caps that can be bought for new anywhere.

Offline RougeR

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 16:26:22 »
Hi all,

It's been a while since I last came in here. Glad to see the Geekhack community is still thriving!

I see a bit of a small keycap industry has emerged since I was last an active member here, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any suppliers that might sell replacement keycaps for an IBM Model M15? Mine has been going strong for over 10 years of really heavy use, but just yesterday the stabilizer bar on the left shift key finally gave up the ghost. The key is still usable, if fairly wobbly, but ideally I'd really love to find a replacement. Besides, Backspace is also on its last legs.

Apparently, the keycaps on the M15 are the same as the M2, so if no one is manufacturing replacement keysets, I would also be interested to hear if anyone has a non-functional M2 that could be cannibalized for parts.

Cheers,

Fran

heya, i own a model m15 which im modding and putting through her paces.

Heres my acquired knowledge of the m15 so far:

Taking her apart to get to the internals (controller etc) is a doddle if you know how. but i havnt managed to get to the springs internally yet. - cant work out how to get behind the metal backplate

the springs used are the same as the model m and the model m2, therefore they can be got new from unicomp and replaced via the chopstick method or cannibalized from an old model m/m2

as for keycaps, they are the same as the m2.

Left shift key and the backspace key from model m2 US layout should fit

Im still trying to work out possible replacements for the following:
spacebars (looks like you would have to make new ones/mod something)
right shift is a bit difficult as it is stepped, i cannot find a direct replacement, BUT the caps lock key from the model m2 would fit (just the wrong text), maybe there is a model m2 vers with a stepped right shift, i havnt looked very hard yet.
Enter and Tab will also be viable to swap from the model m2
only other issue is ctrl/alt...any normal key would swap onto them, but the text is wrong.

stem mods might be a possibility from other keyboards, not looked into it yet.

I'm looking at doing various mods to my model m15
- braided detachable cables maybe even wireless one day
- clip on wrist rests
- trackpoints (maybe)
- RGB mod via rit dye or perhaps the modifier keys ritdyed.
- internal USB hub

« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2013, 16:36:25 by RougeR »
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 16:38:15 »
found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-1990s-USA-Vintage-Clicky-Computer-Keyboard-Model-M2-WP1-PS-2-/161017797554?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257d689bb2

also if you find a model m2 you want to cannibalize id go in with you as i want caps to experiment with for rit dye.

you US or EU or ?
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 17:01:03 »
I have an M2 that has had its cord cut,  I can send you the KB, or just the caps.  PM me :)
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry