Author Topic: [Question] Drawing custom keycaps  (Read 1955 times)

Offline feyd

[Question] Drawing custom keycaps
« on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 12:32:50 »
Hi everyone!

I was asking how to mod my keyboard, I need wirte in 3 alphabets, and I wonder how can I drawn characters in my keycaps to look like a comercial keyboard and not like a homemade.

What technics can you recomend me? Stencil?
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2013, 12:34:43 by feyd »

Offline BlueBär

Re: [Question] Drawing custom keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 12:38:48 »
Stencil will probably not be your best option, I highly doubt that the letters will come out very clean (or even readable if you're not very careful). An idea might be to buy keyboard stickers and cut out the letters. This will be the same amount of work since you would have to do the same for a stencil.

Also you could always get custom keycaps from WASD Keyboards but that is of course a lot more expensive.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 14:24:25 »
What alphabets?  Could be as simple as getting keyboard stickers (clear background) and put one on the top and one on the side of each key.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 04:35:02 »
What technics can you recomend me?
Design your keycaps in your gfx software on your computer and upload them to WASDkeyboards.com custom keyboard designer.

This option requires using a Cherry MX switch compatible keyboard.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 07:30:34 »
I believe litster is the resident rare keycap designer. Contact him for life-changing advice.