Author Topic: New to the clickity - overwhelmed!  (Read 2466 times)

Offline kennedyjf

New to the clickity - overwhelmed!
« on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 11:37:50 »
Hey folks, new to Mechanical Keyboards and I in love with them! I have not purchased my first board yet as I am trying to do as much research as humanly possible. So many acronyms, so many things to learn! I am contemplating building my first one but have been cautioned against it.

Would love to know what advice you all have for a new comer/first timer. What do you wish you knew when you started?

Best,
ATX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: New to the clickity - overwhelmed!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 20:32:45 »
Welcome :)

I think one of the best things you can do when deciding on what switches you want is to go to like a keycon and try a bunch out.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Kavik

Re: New to the clickity - overwhelmed!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 22:39:29 »
Welcome!

Good things to know as a beginner:
-Trust your gut about what you like. Even if everyone is raving about something, that doesn't mean you will like it necessarily.
-There's more to keyboards than just Cherry MX (or MX clones).
-All-metal keyboards are awesome, and you should own one, but they aren't necessarily the be-all end-all in terms of sound and feel.
-Always buy PCB mount switches; most PCBs have the holes to accommodate them, and, if they don't, you can easily cut the legs off. There's literally no point in buying plate mount switches. (The PCB mount legs prevent misaligned switches and make them a bit more stable if you didn't know).
-Don't buy stuff just because you are impatient. New group buys come up all the time.
-Don't be scared to sell something if you don't like it.

That's all I can think of.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.