Author Topic: [IC] Prime_E : Ergo 45% - Updated 4/24/19:revised sample. GB starts May 3rd  (Read 70403 times)

Offline fireworm

Re: [IC] Prime_E : Ergo 45%
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 21:06:59 »
I think split backspace is best because like you said, R2 2u keys don't really exist and I don't like being forced to use even profile sets... Plus I'd like the extra key. As for Alps, what ALPS sets even support this layout? Just Lightcycle and Granite right? Seems like a lot of compromise (loose plate, no hotswap) for something very few people would be interested in.

... Could I make the suggestion of adding alps which means no hotswap, and 2u backspace?

Having both MX and Alps in an integrated and machined plate might be possible. Would have to pay around in CAD and figure it out. But the "pain in the ass" factor outweighs the number of people that would benefit from having it. If it we're a laser cut plate no problem. But not machined.
:<

</3

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 21:48:50 »
I think split backspace is best because like you said, R2 2u keys don't really exist and I don't like being forced to use even profile sets... Plus I'd like the extra key. As for Alps, what ALPS sets even support this layout? Just Lightcycle and Granite right? Seems like a lot of compromise (loose plate, no hotswap) for something very few people would be interested in.

... Could I make the suggestion of adding alps which means no hotswap, and 2u backspace?

Having both MX and Alps in an integrated and machined plate might be possible. Would have to pay around in CAD and figure it out. But the "pain in the ass" factor outweighs the number of people that would benefit from having it. If it we're a laser cut plate no problem. But not machined.
If we're going MX/Alps compatibility, cna I request that we go all the way so it's also compatible with Monterrey switches? This is available on some MX/Alps PCB's like the Minidox where the connectors look like this:

(excuse the crude drawing, at bar)

Offline holtenc

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 21:55:24 »

If we're going MX/Alps compatibility, cna I request that we go all the way so it's also compatible with Monterrey switches? This is available on some MX/Alps PCB's like the Minidox where the connectors look like this:

Show Image

(excuse the crude drawing, at bar)

This will be MX and hotswap so no alps. At this point I'm too far into the design process to change it up. Sorry!

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 22:03:25 »
No no, my mistake. Just reread your previous response and you said that. Either way this is an awesome design and I'll prob join.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 23:18:41 »
Nice! Hope to have some renders in more or less final form by new years. And maybe even an alpha prototype 3d printed.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 00:48:55 »
No no, my mistake. Just reread your previous response and you said that. Either way this is an awesome design and I'll prob join.

Nice! Hope to have some renders in more or less final form by new years. And maybe even an alpha prototype 3d printed.

Forget the renders, clicktyClackity is an artiste!! Hire him for pics!!  :p

Offline holtenc

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 09:53:01 »
updated OP with what should be more or less final designs.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 09:55:51 »

Amazing! I love how this is turning out and I really like the vertical indicator led location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 09:57:12 »

Am I right in thinking that the 2.25u space is on the left and the 2u space is on the right?

Offline holtenc

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 10:06:00 »

Am I right in thinking that the 2.25u space is on the left and the 2u space is on the right?

2.25 is definitely on the right

Amazing! I love how this is turning out and I really like the vertical indicator led location.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 December 2018, 10:27:03 by holtenc »

Offline the_high_5

Re: [IC] Prime_E : Ergo 45% - Updated 12/22/18
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 11:04:17 »
Latest update looks great! Love the LED placement and decision on layout. Very much looking forward to this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline beekey

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 13:25:23 »
What is the reasoning behind the WKL blocker position? Would prefer it moved 1u out. I use the „big“ space as  layer tap which is space when tapped and function layer when hold. Next keys would be Cmd and Alt, with Ctrl the outermost key.

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 14:26:38 »
I really dig this

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 28 December 2018, 03:30:37 »

This looks stunning, really hoping I can get in on this!

Have you finalized the layout for the whole board? Can you indicate the widths of all keys in the final design? (Trying to figure out what's needed to cover this with a sculpted keyset)

Keep up the awesome work, can't wait to see this come to GB! :thumb:

Offline holtenc

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 28 December 2018, 06:08:04 »

This looks stunning, really hoping I can get in on this!

Have you finalized the layout for the whole board? Can you indicate the widths of all keys in the final design? (Trying to figure out what's needed to cover this with a sculpted keyset)

Keep up the awesome work, can't wait to see this come to GB! :thumb:

Thank you. Layout is finalize. Standard 40% stuff. 1.75/1.25 shifts, 1.25 caps or tab, 1.75 enter. All mods on bottom row are 1.25. spacebars are 2.0 and 2.25

Offline Jkshowman

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 01:00:43 »
watching this like a hawk

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 03:04:54 »
Has it been decided if the PCB should support hotswap? If so I think it will need some threads in the top of the case for the PCB to screw against the case.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 09:03:46 »
Has it been decided if the PCB should support hotswap? If so I think it will need some threads in the top of the case for the PCB to screw against the case.

Yes it will have hotswap sockets. A pretty easy ask to implement. Personally I've never had a PCB fall off but I guess if you tavel with your board it's certainly possible.

Offline Tonkatonk

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 09:09:01 »
South-facing hotswap sockets are a no go for me chief.

Noxary PC268.2 | Red Nunu | Purple PC Nunu | Ogre | Vulcan Pro

Offline holtenc

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 12:50:52 »

yeah. Unfortunately it's a necessary evil to make room for the USB port. There isn't a good place for it in the middle without something looking off since the split is a little lopsided with more keys on the right.

Offline emperact

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 17:07:44 »
I'm in!

Offline fireworm

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 00:56:39 »

yeah. Unfortunately it's a necessary evil to make room for the USB port. There isn't a good place for it in the middle without something looking off since the split is a little lopsided with more keys on the right.
Perhaps too late, could we add a macro column to the left side? If so, could this let the USB be in the center?

Offline holtenc

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 01:38:50 »

Perhaps too late, could we add a macro column to the left side? If so, could this let the USB be in the center?

indeed too late. prototype PCBs have already been made and are in route.

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 02:49:56 »
Awesome, so excited to hear this board is coming along! I'm a huge fan of it and really hoping I'll be able to pick one up!

Have you thought much about colors yet or is it still too early for that?

Offline dimo

[IC] Prime_E : Ergo 45% - Updated 12/22/18
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 02:03:14 »
I’d love a small numpad to go along with this

Offline holtenc

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 07:26:40 »
Awesome, so excited to hear this board is coming along! I'm a huge fan of it and really hoping I'll be able to pick one up!

Have you thought much about colors yet or is it still too early for that?

Still looking for a manufacturer. Colors will probably depend on that.

Offline holtenc

Re: [IC] Prime_E : Ergo 45% - Updated 1/4/2019 - Prototype PCBs complete
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 20:45:34 »
updated OP with prototype PCBs

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 23:21:35 »
Looking real good! You weren’t kidding about getting this moving quickly!! :D

Offline hndle

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 23:47:13 »
ergo+45% = DREAM :thumb:

Offline sickbabies

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 20:28:05 »
Sorry I missed most of the IC work, but glad to be here now!

Ergo 45 is right up my alley and should look dope with all these Space Cadet caps I have to put to use

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline holtenc

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 20:34:30 »
ergo+45% = DREAM :thumb:

Looking real good! You weren’t kidding about getting this moving quickly!! :D

Sorry I missed most of the IC work, but glad to be here now!

Ergo 45 is right up my alley and should look dope with all these Space Cadet caps I have to put to use

Thanks guys! Pretty soon I need to figure out what colors everyone wants and get my hands on an actual prototype. This is taking longer than I expected but we're slowly making our way to GB time.

Offline sickbabies

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 11:44:31 »

Thanks guys! Pretty soon I need to figure out what colors everyone wants and get my hands on an actual prototype. This is taking longer than I expected but we're slowly making our way to GB time.

I'm always a fan of Silver for my keyboards, but if blue is available I might go for that

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 11:51:50 »

Pink. Kthx. 

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 14:32:07 »
I'd love to see some sort of blue-gray or dark blue, but would also be happy with silver or dark gray if those are too difficult :)

Offline holtenc

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 14:34:18 »
I'd love to see some sort of blue-gray or dark blue, but would also be happy with silver or dark gray if those are too difficult :)

I got 2 samples in the works. Trying for a dark gray and dark blue. But haven't yet heard back if I can get two different colors for a reasonable price.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 14:37:03 »

I got 2 samples in the works. Trying for a dark gray and dark blue. But haven't yet heard back if I can get two different colors for a reasonable price.

I think if it’s going to be offered in one colour it would be best to stick with something neutral like grey, silver, or black. My vote would be for grey. If you’re going to offer multiple colours I think a red or minty colour would be cool.

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 14:38:00 »

Second for blue-grey! I'll probably in regardless of the color though as long as the finances line up!

Offline holtenc

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 14:45:14 »

I think if it’s going to be offered in one colour it would be best to stick with something neutral like grey, silver, or black. My vote would be for grey. If you’re going to offer multiple colours I think a red or minty colour would be cool.

I would like to offer 4 colors. Black, gray, blue and ?? This is all dependent on pricing. If 4 color choices significantly increases prices then one choice it is. Probably gray. I dont want this to be a super expensive board. Pricing for the PCBs (assembled in USA, Qty of 50) is $50/ea and that doesn't even include the sockets and their assembly.  So might try to find a Chinese Fab to get costs down. 🤷‍♂️. Things to work out.

Offline NRbigfoot

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 14:50:45 »
Would love to see a dark blue or dark red offered
HBCP | FLX Virgo | aanzee | Mira SE | Leaf 80 | HHKB pro 1 | qxp | Rukia | IDB60 | equinox | No1Rev1 | Whale | Montage | 268.2 | Anniversary Whale | Jer80 | Evolv

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 14:52:58 »

I would like to offer 4 colors. Black, gray, blue and ?? This is all dependent on pricing. If 4 color choices significantly increases prices then one choice it is. Probably gray. I dont want this to be a super expensive board. Pricing for the PCBs (assembled in USA, Qty of 50) is $50/ea and that doesn't even include the sockets and their assembly.  So might try to find a Chinese Fab to get costs down. . Things to work out.

Looking at the space65 gb most people went with black or grey. I think silver and blue were close for 3rd place and very few got red. It all depends on the tone of colour offered imo. I went with a red CA66 but that’s a nice wine red.

Offline sickbabies

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 16:47:56 »
Looking at the space65 gb most people went with black or grey. I think silver and blue were close for 3rd place and very few got red. It all depends on the tone of colour offered imo. I went with a red CA66 but that’s a nice wine red.
I went with silver for the Space65, the gray was a little too dark for me.

Offline 19MODL

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 18:08:00 »
I’m gonna be bold and say a matcha color. It’s been severely misrepresented in this community!! WHOS WITH ME?

iGK64 - Kailh Speed Bronze - GMK Laser
Pok3r - MX Red - GMK Red Samurai
NIU Mini - Tealio - DSA Drifter
Incoming: Mechmini 2 - SA Night King

Offline Jkshowman

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 19:51:31 »
man, i really hope there's a silver :/

Offline holtenc

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 21:40:56 »
added a poll for color popularity.

Offline rossfromfriends

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 22:45:08 »
I really don't know anything about the process of anodization, is it more expensive and difficult to be shades of a color? So like navy instead of straight up blue, or burgundy instead of red.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 22:54:06 »
I really don't know anything about the process of anodization, is it more expensive and difficult to be shades of a color? So like navy instead of straight up blue, or burgundy instead of red.

I really have no idea. but I would assume if you want some custom color beyond their normal stuff it would cost more.

Offline hndle

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 04:10:04 »
Has the switch been decided in the north-facing?

Offline holtenc

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 06:18:20 »
They will be north facing.

Offline Smoff

• 817 785
    • Youtube
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 07:26:23 »
Really interested in this, just hoping it won't cost a fortune haha.
Even though you said you don't have an eta on when it will ship, am I right in guessing it most likely will run mid-late this year?
Current boards: Matrix 1.2 OG | Matrix 8xv2.0 | Cherry g80-1000 | Cherry g80-3000 | Matrix 2.0add | Matrix Noah

Boards on the way: Duck Orion v2.5 | Matrix Falcon

Previous boards: BOK.CP | Duck Orion v3 | Mech27v2 | HHKB pro2 x3 | Cherry g80-11800 | NIU mini | Klippe r1 | Brutal60 | Duck Unicorn x Legend | Duck jetfire | Cherry g80-1800 | IDB60 | PC Salamander | Lin Whale r2 | LZ Physix | Duck Viper v3 |

Offline holtenc

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 07:31:10 »
Really interested in this, just hoping it won't cost a fortune haha.
Even though you said you don't have an eta on when it will ship, am I right in guessing it most likely will run mid-late this year?

Assuming the prototypes are completed soon and come out OK Im thinking March for the GB.