Author Topic: VitaFIX.....Black-dust Defect alleviated.... ??  (Read 35766 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
VitaFIX.....Black-dust Defect alleviated.... ??
« on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 15:46:32 »
LATEST-Update June 9, 2015

If your Vitamix is within Warranty period, they will supply you with the Revised Container..

No known Retail Vitamixes comes with the Revised Container, so you will still have to call them if you purchase from a brick-n-mortar.

Ok.. So.. Way back in April of 2014, it was discovered that Vitamix blending blade-hubs shed black teflon particles INTO the mix.

97% of online users who saw the major threads over @ slickdeals reported black-dust-positive.

Today, I've received 2 replacement containers from Vitamix, under the promise that they are "FIXed" and black dust free.

I am happy to report that, this is INDEED the case.

If you take a look at the pictures below..   The black seal ring is now made of a SOFT-er rubber material, and the central post makes direct contact with it. 

The seal between the central post and the black ring, is done via what Vitamix will tell you is a FOOD-SAFE lubricant.

As you can see, this lubricant (white stuff around the ring) will get into your food, albeit, in small amounts.

There's no way to make this type of seal work without the lube, so, that's always how it's gonna be.

Originally there were 2 issues with the old hub.. the Original black cap was of a hard material, and would disintegrate upon use.

This was what caused the black specs to enter the blend.

The second issue was, the original blade hub, also allowed SOME lubricant to get into the mix. in the previous case, the lubricant was (black) and was visible during prolonged blends.

The new lubricant seems to be all White, which, means even if it got into your blend, it will be invisible.

With this new hub, Vitamix has rectified the Teflon-Black-dust situation, and took care of the aesthetic Black-lubricant situation.

UPDATE 04/17/2014:

Pictures attached to post, last 2 photos are of the black bits  poured over a porcelain plate..

Received brand new replacement blade and container..

Ran the same test, blended clear water,  poured into white table-plate..

I got black-dust on the first 2 runs...  4 minute blends per run..  scrubbed and rinsed between each blend cycle.

3rd run, still black dust

4th run, still black dust..

sigh....

To Halverson: 

When you tested..

Did you pour the water into a non-textured white plate, and let the black dust settle out..

They are very fine/small, if the water was moving at all, you would NOT be able to see them..

Original post Below:

Ok.. one of the primary reasons I got the vitamix instead of a blendtec, is because i read reviews of the blade mechanism on the blendtec chewing up the rubber gasket, causing small disintegrated rubber bits to invade one's drinks..

I recived my vitamix today...  FIRST TEST...  clear water...

Blended clear water for 3 minutes..

I then poured the clear water over a porcelain white plate.. 

and BEHOLD....  Little black bits of rubber.  small but very much present.

I thought, well.. it's new.. so lets use some soapy water and cycle it a few more times..

5 soapy water / clear water cycles later...

Still Little black bits visible in a 3 minute blend test of clear water.. sigh...

Called, Vitamix.. the lady admits that this has been a pervasive problem in the blenders and they know about it..   

She's sending me a new jar and blade which will arrive in  2 days..

I have continued to blend clear water ... about 15 gallons worth now... and I clean and scrubbed the jar each time to make sure detection was not residue from previous blend cycles.

THere's still black bits... after all the testing...

I have a theory as to why this is the case.. but the picture is too complex to draw atm...

Can anyone else with a vitamix test this ??

blend up some clear water... then pour into a white plate, check for little black bits.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Vitamix fatal design flaw??
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 15:55:00 »
I totally lust after the Blendtec.

If I intended to pay anywhere near full price, there would be no contest.

As far as break-in periods, it is probably true for any type of mechanism.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 15:58:41 »

yea but... assssuming my jar and blade needs to break in...15 gallons of water later... it's still throwing black bits.

so what's everyone "whos less vigilant" doing..  Eating all the rubber gasket dust for the 100s of potential cycles???

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:00:46 »
Testing has begun

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:01:25 »
Testing has begun

thanks so much halverson..  /edge of seat //

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:04:10 »

I didn't want to get the blendtec for 2 reasons, the rubber gasket review.. AND the fact that it has complicated Digital controls..

Lets say the blender goes out of warranty,  the common things that breaks on these blenders are control circuits and motor brushes..

You can fix motor brushes easily... HOWEVER when it comes to Digital control circuits you're stumped.. and replacement parts are few, because they typically force you to pony up for the $150 servicing..

BUT... with the vitamix model i got.. the only control is a potentiometer and 2 flip switches... I can find these parts any where...

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:06:25 »

Testing has begun

Ok so I've been using mine for a few months. Light use, several times a week.

After clean clear water blend for several minutes, I poured slowly into a white plate. Inspecting every pour looking for anything odd.

Conclusion? Was completely free of any black bits.

So if it's just a break in period, I suppose all my black bits were ingested long ago as parts of booze smoothies.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:08:28 »
I have a Blendtec, I think the warranty is something nutty like seven years.

http://www.blendtec.com/blog/blendtecs-7-year-warranty-what-you-need-to-know/

No issues, and have noticed zero rubber bits. When I run out of easy to chomp bagged ice I grind up big cubes and I've never noticed the bits.

I'll do some water later, but I've had it a year so its probably all broken in by now.

Otherwise I just use it to create disgusting kale/veggy shakes I drink in the morning (and have to hold my nose to choke down) but I feel like a warrior afterwards.

My biggest grip about the Blendtec is it just spins when there isn't enough liquid, creating an air bubble, so you have to turn it off and push the stuff down to the blade, or add more liquid, kind of annoying, no plunger type system like the Vita.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:11:53 by Psybin »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:33:58 »

Testing has begun

After clean clear water blend for several minutes, I poured slowly into a white plate. Inspecting every pour looking for anything odd.

So if it's just a break in period, I suppose all my black bits were ingested long ago as parts of booze smoothies.

Glad to hear the news Halverson...  I'll keep blending water in my current jar... and see if it clears up...

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:36:48 »

Testing has begun

Glad to hear the news Halverson...  I'll keep blending water in my current jar... and see if it clears up...

Maybe you should try blending something more solid? Perhaps material would clean out the gunk faster. Then try a water test again after a good clean.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:48:22 »

Testing has begun

Maybe you should try blending something more solid? Perhaps material would clean out the gunk faster. Then try a water test again after a good clean.

Yea.. I tried ice  for a few runs, until i ran out of ice..  so... i don't know what else to put in there.. wood? haha..

sigh...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 17:27:45 »
i don't know what else to put in there.. wood?

If you had bought the Blendtek you could do a cell phone or a broom.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Lanx

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 17:32:03 »
ever think about the auger cold press omega types?

Offline Malphas

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 18:18:28 »
I looked at a Vitamix but went for a Magimix.

It was like a third or less of the price of Vitamix/Blendtec (not that that was a huge consideration) but more importantly doesn't look like something from 1978/1991.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 18:21:43 »

Show Image

It was like a third or less of the price of Vitamix/Blendtec (not that that was a huge consideration) but more importantly doesn't look like something from 1978/1991.

You don't match your household items with your 80/90s keyboards?

Offline Malphas

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 18:29:58 »
I use plain black tenkeyless's for all my keyboards, which gives you an idea of my kind of aesthetic I guess.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 18:30:08 »

Show Image

Had the Vitamix come in beige, I would have gone that route.  Picked up a black one years ago.  I use mine a couple times a week for just about everything from smoothies to soup to ice-cream.  Love it.   
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 18:43:24 »
No problems with my Vitamix 750 (or pieces of plastic in the mix.) Which one did you get TP?
SSKs for everyone!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 18:53:58 »

Show Image

1970's keyboards.

I love the look on the guys face when he puts random stuff in the blender.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 19:07:54 »
No problems with my Vitamix 750 (or pieces of plastic in the mix.) Which one did you get TP?

I got the 5200 standard.. Because I know that under the hood there's only the potentiometer and 2 switches.. which are easily repairable post warranty..

the computer control, pre program stuff...  there are NO parts for that.. I worry about these things.. since there are several amps going through this tiny circuit.

fingers crossed on this replacement tub and blade...

ATM... rather disappointed...  still... I'm optimistic..

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 20:18:12 »
Just blend darker stuff  :thumb:.  You probably inhale more particulate going for a 30 minute run. 

I have been known to eat a carne asada burrito with grease still on my hands from working on my car.  I also firmly believe in the 5 second rule (unless there is obvious foreign matter in which case it gets dusted off.)

Offline awong

• ★★★★★★★★★★★★
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 20:21:02 »
What is black stuff made of?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 20:21:59 »
Just blend darker stuff  :thumb:.  You probably inhale more particulate going for a 30 minute run. 

I have been known to eat a carne asada burrito with grease still on my hands from working on my car.  I also firmly believe in the 5 second rule (unless there is obvious foreign matter in which case it gets dusted off.)

I realize ^^^ that is the manly way to go... I'd probably be on man-card probation if it weren't for all my power tool use..

I am trying to determine.. HOW BAD would it be to ingest some rubber gasket..

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 20:25:57 »

I realize ^^^ that is the manly way to go... I'd probably be on man-card probation if it weren't for all my power tool use..

Realistically, probably not bad at all.  They would not use anything that would be toxic, and these Vitamixes have been used in the food industry for years. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 20:46:53 »

Realistically, probably not bad at all.  They would not use anything that would be toxic, and these Vitamixes have been used in the food industry for years. 

and millions of people get cancer...  who knows.. vitamix did it..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 22:36:28 »
What is black stuff made of?

rubber gasket, at least that's what the lady on the phone told me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 16:28:31 »
UPDATE 04/17/2014:

I got black-dust on the first 2 runs...  4 minute blends per run..  scrubbed and rinsed between each blend cycle.

sigh....

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 16:34:11 »
UPDATE 04/17/2014:

Show Image

sigh....
Show Image

I forgot to ask. What kind of water are you using, just tap? You made sure it's not dust from your water right?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 16:41:18 »
UPDATE 04/17/2014:

Show Image

sigh....
Show Image

I forgot to ask. What kind of water are you using, just tap? You made sure it's not dust from your water right?

YES.. This was also a suspect when I tested my first container..

So, I actually blended bottled water,   a whole gallons worth..

I checked my tap for black dust, but the test with bottled water was just to be sure..

I got black dust even with the bottled water.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 16:47:10 »
UPDATE 04/17/2014:

Show Image

sigh....
Show Image

I checked my tap for black dust, but the test with bottled water was just to be sure..

Show Image

Can you take pics of the black dust?

I just did another test with less water and let it sit. There were a few flaws in my water, being just some dust or what not from either plate or blender. But nothing that resembled black dust/rubber sand.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:04:24 »
UPDATE 04/17/2014:

Show Image

sigh....
Show Image

Show Image

Can you take pics of the black dust?

I just did another test with less water and let it sit. There were a few flaws in my water, being just some dust or what not from either plate or blender. But nothing that resembled black dust/rubber sand.

These are from the FIRST Blade and Container I tested 2 days ago.

Initially it was chewing up so much rubber, the rubber would smear up on the side of the container..

The new container has not exhibited the smearing.. but.. the Dust in the water still persists..

I will take pictures of the dust from the new container in a few moments.

In the 3rd picture, I blended soapy water to show the rubber smears on the side of the jar more clearly

To clarify, I scrubbed these dark spots off between each test, and this continued to happen on the First Jar

BEHOLD...  Very Expensive Black Dust

71274-0

71276-1

71278-2

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:05:28 »
Holy fack! Well I have definitely not seen anything resembling that. So...f'd up!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:14:54 »
Holy fack! Well I have definitely not seen anything resembling that. So...f'd up!

The dust in the plate...

It's too fine to capture with my point and shoot camera.....

But could you describe what you see in your plate test..

For me it's very fine black bits...   

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:18:09 »

The dust in the plate...

It's to fine to capture with my point and shoot camera.....
Show Image

To describe it, now that would be impossible! But there was nothing black that I noticed.

Just eat it, it will make you....stronger!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:19:52 »

The dust in the plate...

Show Image

To describe it, now that would be impossible! But there was nothing black that I noticed.

There is absolutely NO tiny black specs in your blended water?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:26:45 »

The dust in the plate...

Show Image

Not that I saw! I'll go do another long wait test later.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:29:05 »

The dust in the plate...

Show Image

My blend cycle varies between 3-5 minutes..  the settling in the plate, you should only have to wait 30-40 seconds

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:31:38 »

The dust in the plate...

Show Image

My blend cycle varies between 3-5 minutes..  the settling in the plate, you should only have to wait 30-40 seconds

Oh maybe that's it. I think most I waited was 2 minutes, maybe a bit more. Never let it run for 5 mints straight.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 18:15:25 »

The dust in the plate...

Show Image

Oh maybe that's it. I think most I waited was 2 minutes, maybe a bit more. Never let it run for 5 mints straight.

I caught the dust on camera... this was very hard to catch ...

But it looks like this...   This is from the SECOND.. Jar

71292-0

71294-1

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 18:17:11 »

The dust in the plate...

Show Image

I caught the dust on camera... this was very hard to catch ...

But it looks like this...   This is from the SECOND.. Jar

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Will check again later looking for that exactly.

Offline TheDietGod

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 16:10:58 »

The Blendtec is far too expensive even at $349.99 new. It can't handle hard use on tough ingredients too long. It overheats constantly, fails to make certain bread dough as smooth as a Vitamix, also the Blendtec can barely handle small batches of these breads while the Vitamix can do 4 times the batches of any Blendtec in one sitting with far smoother textures, and Blendtec's leaky gaskets are still a problem. $199.99 for a new HP3 sounds a little better....but there still is the issue with the leaky gaskets.

I got lucky with my used 7500 Vitamix, I've done the water test many times and I don't see any black spots. Blendtec is only good for smoothies and soups, even the ice cream comes out lousy if you don't follow the Blendtec recipe book. With the Vitamix you don't need to add ice to make ice cream with frozen produce, and you don't need any recipe book and can just add whatever you want.

To make ice cream out of pure frozen produce on the Blendtec you really need the TwisterJar for another $100 and it still fails to get even half the seeds from blackberries/raspberries/strawberries, without it you'll be shaking the jar constantly trying to get the frozen produce out the corners of the WildSide jar or using a spatula as a tamper, by then your fruits are pretty much thawed and mushy...not good!

With the Vitamix your (free) tamper will make ice cream out of pure frozen produce in seconds and gets most of the seeds in berries all while your fruits are incredibly cold...that's good!

(by pure frozen produce ice cream I mean not adding any liquids, syrups or honey)

Offline TheDietGod

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 16:16:49 »
Still I don't recommend anyone buying a Vitamix until they fix this black sludge issue.

And I only recommend Blendtec for casual or beginner users, as for chefs and pro cooks I don't not recommend any Blendtec at all.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2015, 16:20:25 by TheDietGod »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 18:47:49 »
Wow you're Blendtec experience is totally different from mine. We've done berry sorbet, almond milk, almond butter, and tons and tons of smoothies with fibrous stuff like celery. Never fails to get it all buttery smooth and never had a gasket problem. :confused:
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 19:06:55 »
I've also read that blendtec is better with ice than vitamix.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 19:10:35 »
Wow you're Blendtec experience is totally different from mine. We've done berry sorbet, almond milk, almond butter, and tons and tons of smoothies with fibrous stuff like celery. Never fails to get it all buttery smooth and never had a gasket problem. :confused:

Yea for anything that's not overly sticky, when I had the blendtec, it worked just fine..

Overall the blendtec is about ~300 watts more powerful then the vitamix 6300, and around ~400-450 watts more powerful than the 5200 model.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 19:58:37 »
So why would someone use a blender for dough?  Don't have a mixer? Or is there some advantage?  We just use our mixer with dough hooks, because we thought that was the proper tool. Should we be using our blender??
I'm back.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 20:19:38 »
So why would someone use a blender for dough?  Don't have a mixer? Or is there some advantage?  We just use our mixer with dough hooks, because we thought that was the proper tool. Should we be using our blender??

There's no advantage to using a blender with dough.. in fact it's bad for the blender, as it was not designed for long continuous operation which dough may require..

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 21:08:03 »

There's no advantage to using a blender with dough.. in fact it's bad for the blender, as it was not designed for long continuous operation which dough may require..

Ah okay that's pretty much what I thought.
I'm back.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 21:10:59 »
what an obscure necro
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 21:17:40 »

what an obscure necro

I guess the DietGod is passionate about his...diet.
I'm back.