Author Topic: I Think I Totally Screwed Up My Nvidia Drivers  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Kavik

I Think I Totally Screwed Up My Nvidia Drivers
« on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 13:40:15 »
Background:
Recently, every time I try to install new Nvidia drivers from GeForce Experience, they fail with an error message along the lines of "A newer version is already installed", which is not true, but it requires uninstalling the previous drivers and then installing the new ones.

Yesterday or the day before, my C drive SSD somehow became so full that I couldn't download something, so I cleared out the Nvidia driver folders to make some space. Apparently, I deleted the DLLs for the current driver version, so now I can't uninstall the current drivers (because installercore\NVI2.dll is not found) . Furthermore, I tried uninstalling with RevoUninstaller, which apparently didn't uninstall it but blew it away from Programs and Features, so I can't even try uninstalling again after replacing the DLL.

New drivers fail to install even if I download them directly from the website and select "custom" and check the "clean installation" checkbox.

Not sure what to try next.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: I Think I Totally Screwed Up My Nvidia Drivers
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 13:59:33 »
It's probably faster to reformat than fix this manually.

Tp4 keeps rolling 30 day Main drive backups, so he can roll back, it's faster than reformatting.

But specific to this, use DDU in safe mode and it should be fine.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 14:32:43 »
It's probably faster to reformat than fix this manually.

Tp4 keeps rolling 30 day Main drive backups, so he can roll back, it's faster than reformatting.

But specific to this, use DDU in safe mode and it should be fine.

DDU saved the day. Apparently, I already had it on my computer but forgot what it is called and that it's just an exe. I was mislead into thinking Revo was what I was looking for based on a post on some forum. Thanks, TP4.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2020, 22:32:32 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 01:22:52 »
DDU is a must. Glad you got it worked out.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 23:16:21 »
DDu is a must for a clean install of nVidia drivers, I use it for my HTPC which has an nVidia card. IF you have an AMD card, use AMD's own Cleanup Utility which I've found to be safer in that I've had no issue booting in Safe Mode to uninstall my previous driver.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 05:09:22 »
My AMD clean install utility worked until that damn 5700xt. Then I needed DDU... a million times... then return the cards. Hehe
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.