Author Topic: [IC] GMK Norse | GB March 2-30 / Final Kits and Pricing!  (Read 177032 times)

Offline Skok

Re: [IC] GMK Norse
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 08:33:29 »
Any chance for UK ISO to be included in base??? What a set, well done

Yeah, I was planning on it. Could you point out the keys that I'm missing so that I can fix the base kit? It's been challenging to get the kitting right so I want to make sure I have everything correct. Thanks!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 09:04:22 »
The 6u space bar is off centered right? I mean, it should support all the 1800's out there.
As far as I know, all modern PCBs with 6u space (1800, 66-key, 60% etc.) support at least centered stem, but not all of them support off-centered stem. The reverse is true on OG 1800 Cherry PCBs, but probably not much else. Ideally the kit would include both 6u options, but if there's only room for one, I think centered stem is better.

I think the set has both; but, the space bars are not in alpha color. The Cherry 1800 PCB, when carrying 6u, is off centered.

Offline Nudd

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 09:10:23 »

Yeah, I was planning on it. Could you point out the keys that I'm missing so that I can fix the base kit? It's been challenging to get the kitting right so I want to make sure I have everything correct. Thanks!

Sent you a PM

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 09:27:18 »

ISO users are already a niche, adding specific keys for a niche within a niche and increasing the size of an already large base kit by 4+ is not a good idea, imo. Read this post.

That being said, it's not my place to argue the decisions you make as the designer of the set. If you want to add ISO-UK support to the base kit, these are the exact changes you need to make:
  • Add R1 1u
  • Add R1 1u 2"
  • Add R1 1u
  • Add R3 1u '@
  • Change R3 1u \| to #~
  • Change R4 1u <> to \|
But, again, I would advise staying with the current setup as it covers more ISO users with the least amount of keys, and also because all of the Nordic countries use that <> key.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 July 2020, 09:29:10 by konstantin »

Offline Skok

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 09:48:38 »

ISO users are already a niche, adding specific keys for a niche within a niche and increasing the size of an already large base kit by 4+ is not a good idea, imo. Read this post.

That being said, it's not my place to argue the decisions you make as the designer of the set. If you want to add ISO-UK support to the base kit, these are the exact changes you need to make:
  • Add R1 1u
  • Add R1 1u 2"
  • Add R1 1u
  • Add R3 1u '@
  • Change R3 1u \| to #~
  • Change R4 1u <> to \|
But, again, I would advise staying with the current setup as it covers more ISO users with the least amount of keys, and also because all of the Nordic countries use that <> key.

GMK Hammerhead had a very large base kit which included UK ISO support. My set also excludes the numpad from base so I assumed that gave me some leeway to support smaller niches in the base kit. If I'm wrong please tell me as I'm still learning all the minute details.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 10:52:18 »
GMK Hammerhead had a very large base kit which included UK ISO support. My set also excludes the numpad from base so I assumed that gave me some leeway to support smaller niches in the base kit. If I'm wrong please tell me as I'm still learning all the minute details.

Hammerhead's NA price is very much an outlier. A more appropriate comparison would be GMK Nord, which has a slightly smaller base kit than this, also numpadless, but is priced at $125 @ 500 MOQ, the same as Hammerhead's full base kit @ 250 MOQ. The difference is that GMK Nord uses double the amount of custom colors (8 vs 4). Another example would be GMK Fro.Yo, which uses one less custom color than this (4), but is priced at $135 @ 250 MOQ for a small numpadless base kit. Also GMK Rouge, with one more custom color (6), priced at $120 @ 250 MOQ for a very small numpadless base kit.

In summary, no numpad doesn't mean a cheap base kit. Custom colors play a large role, and you should still be careful about putting too many extra keys in base. You already have several large keys in there (three spacebars, soon to be four; two ISO Enters; a few extra Shifts...), accent arrows etc., and all of that adds up.

Edit: added links
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 July 2020, 11:06:51 by konstantin »

Offline Skok

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 11:06:10 »

Hammerhead's NA price is very much an outlier. A more appropriate comparison would be GMK Nord, which has a slightly smaller base kit than this, also numpadless, but is priced at $125 @ 500 MOQ, the same as Hammerhead's full base kit @ 250 MOQ. Another example would be GMK Fro.Yo, which uses one less custom color than this, but is priced at $135 @ 250 MOQ for a small numpadless base kit. Also GMK Rouge, with one more custom color, priced at $120 @ 250 MOQ for a very small numpadless base kit.

In summary, no numpad doesn't mean a cheap base kit. Custom colors play a large role and you should still be careful about adding too many keys to the base kit. You already have several large keys in there (three spacebars, soon to be four; two ISO enters; a few extra Shifts...), and all of that adds up.

I'm most likely going to cut the beige spacebar from base and add to the spacebar kit after I fix its compatibility issues that were mentioned prior. I was also going to get rid of one or two of the extra shifts. I might swap one of the black RALs to stock CR. Thanks for the tips. Your comments have been imperative for fixing this sets issues.

Offline mvhtnb

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 00:46:59 »
Im a bit doubtful about your runic novelites. Where did you get those translations from? Im no expert but from what I remember from school "Midgård" in old norse is spelled "Miþkarþ" (Midkard) not "Mitkrt", like it says on your enter key. Didnt check the others but reacted instantly to that one cause there atleast seems to be a letter missing (a) and youve swapped þ (d) for t for some reason?

Edit: like this
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 August 2020, 00:51:44 by mvhtnb »

Offline Gtack

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 01:13:04 »
would you do an Viking related artisan too ? that would be amazing

Offline Techlet

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 02:30:56 »
I like the new darker alphas.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 August 2020, 02:32:33 by Techlet »

Offline Techichi

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 09:05:15 »
Loving this set...I'm in for base and deskmat.

Offline grimis

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 11:56:40 »
Not a fan of the darker alphas. To me this set just looks like GMK WoB with some different mods slapped on to it. Completely changed the feel to me.

Offline Skok

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 12:23:05 »
Not a fan of the darker alphas. To me this set just looks like GMK WoB with some different mods slapped on to it. Completely changed the feel to me.
I might change back to the old RAL. Its about 50/50 between people liking it vs not liking it. We'll see

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline VagueOrigin

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 13:17:50 »
I might change back to the old RAL. Its about 50/50 between people liking it vs not liking it. We'll see

I also personally preferred the previous color, I feel like the darker alphas offset the desk mat in a negative way as there is little to no tan now.

Offline riterdando

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 16:07:40 »
I also prefer the previous alpha color.

Offline Skok

« Reply #115 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 16:09:32 »
I've been thinking about it at work all day. It will most likely be returning.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #116 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 16:14:50 »
+1 for the old alpha color, I liked how it looked better than CR.

Assuming you will be moving the beige spacebars to a spacebar kit, the updated base kit looks good now, except for the R4 \| ISO key, which will need to be moved to R3.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 August 2020, 16:18:11 by konstantin »

Offline Skok

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 22:35:33 »
+1 for the old alpha color, I liked how it looked better than CR.

Assuming you will be moving the beige spacebars to a spacebar kit, the updated base kit looks good now, except for the R4 \| ISO key, which will need to be moved to R3.

Yeah old alpha color will be making a return. Either way I think it looks fantastic. Will also make that fix when I redo the renders.

Offline break

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 22:36:06 »

Great choice, the set lost a lot of character with the move to CR.

Offline Skok

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 22:40:02 »

Yeah, definitely a mistake but that's why we have Interests checks to figure out what everyone likes, and what everyone likes is the old color of the alphas lol.

Offline Skok

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 22:43:16 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2020, 12:34:13 by Skok »

Offline Skok

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 22:44:17 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 August 2020, 06:50:42 by Skok »

Offline aaronlau

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 00:02:35 »
Definitely Interested! Looking forward to this!

Offline break

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 00:42:15 »

Yeah, definitely a mistake but that's why we have Interests checks to figure out what everyone likes, and what everyone likes is the old color of the alphas lol.

I don't mean to criticize for the initial change, I'm sorry. I mean to congratulate you for undoing an unpopular change!

Offline Sabin

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 14:15:04 »
Hows the interest been for runic alphas? Will it be sublegends most likely?

Offline Skok

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 15:27:49 »
Leaning towards alphas.

Offline Skok

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 15:46:25 »
I'll post the results from the google form in the next update. As of now alphas are leading by 15-20%

Offline Andwoo

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 15:59:24 »
cool set! Colors look great

Offline Daniel

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 16:14:32 »
I love the colorway.
1. Is there a tentatie GB date for this?
2. Would love 2.25 + 2.75 spacebars in base kit for Alice compatability.

Offline Skok

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 16:45:18 »
I love the colorway.
1. Is there a tentatie GB date for this?
2. Would love 2.25 + 2.75 spacebars in base kit for Alice compatability.
No date on group buy yet. Still working on getting the rest of my vendors but its looking good. Spacebars has been the hardest kit for me to figure out for some reason. I think im gonna add Alice compatibility. I just need to look at what else I need before I post the renders

Offline Sabin

« Reply #130 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 06:44:49 »
I'll post the results from the google form in the next update. As of now alphas are leading by 15-20%

Ah OK. So rune monolegends more likely? Surprised theyre more popular

Offline Skok

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 13:29:03 »

Yeah. Rune mono legends are winning by a fair margin. Personally I think they would look better as Monos because I think sublegends are too cluttered. Ill probably offer latin alphas as a child kit for those who aren't fans of it.

Offline Sabin

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 15:02:09 »

Yeah. Rune mono legends are winning by a fair margin. Personally I think they would look better as Monos because I think sublegends are too cluttered. Ill probably offer latin alphas as a child kit for those who aren't fans of it.

Ah fair enough. I preferred the look of sublegends.. Looks cooler than having Japanese sublegends which I also love. I hope the results aren't skewed because I noticed you can submit the form multiple times as you're not required to be logged in

Offline VagueOrigin

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 15:07:17 »

Ah fair enough. I preferred the look of sublegends.. Looks cooler than having Japanese sublegends which I also love. I hope the results aren't skewed because I noticed you can submit the form multiple times as you're not required to be logged in
Nah, its just cleaner.

Offline Sabin

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 15:48:25 »

Nah, its just cleaner.

Nah, its just cleaner.

Still prefer the look of sublegends

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 05:51:26 »
Love the colours, muted and also very retro.  Not a fan of the Novelties but that is just a personal preference.  Please if possible include UK ISO in your kit.  Great work and good luck.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline harlekein

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 06:57:20 »
Here's another vote for monolegends. Besides it looking cleaner than sublegends, it gives alternate layout users a great alpha keys option.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 07:49:16 »
Interesting set — I like the colourway more than I would have expected initially.

That said, the kits (as they stand now) still need some work:

- The base kit has <> and \| in R4 — \| should be one row up, in R3.
- An extra B and an F13 key have become pretty much standard additions to base kits in ICs. Consider having them, too.

- The NorDeUk kit is described as having support for "Norwegian, British, German, Danish", yet Swedish/Finnish is fully supported but not included in the list.
- '? in R1 isn't used in any of the four (five) layouts listed, so it should be taken out.
- English (UK) (not "British") is missing R4 \| and R3 #~.
- The keys ◌́◌̀, ◌́◌̀| and \◌̀◌́ all show the acute accent as a low mark. This might just be a render artifact, but do ensure that remains only as so.
- Same goes for the positioning of the £ sign in 3#£.
- Since R4 <> is in the base kit already, it can chopped off the NorDeUk kit.
- Consider adding the numpad comma keys, here or in the numpad kit.

GLWIC!

Offline Daniel

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 14:26:55 »
So Latin alphas will not be in the Base kit?
 :-\

Offline Skok

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 12:43:46 »
So Latin alphas will not be in the Base kit?
 :-\

The demand for Futhark alphas is incredibly high. 300+ responses on the google form are in favor of rune alphas in some form. Making them as a child kit would not only increase the price massively for the majority who want them, the moq would also be extremely high for a child kit. I'll have to discuss with vendors because they know more than I do. The google forms are also split right down the middle at 50% Monos and 50% Subs so I'll have to do renders for both and make another form to see which one is more popular after they actually see it on a board.

Offline Skok

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 12:46:40 »
Love the colours, muted and also very retro.  Not a fan of the Novelties but that is just a personal preference.  Please if possible include UK ISO in your kit.  Great work and good luck.

Yeah I've been trying my best to get a good base kit. Every time I fix 1 thing 2 more problems arise. I'm trying my best and will consult a few people who know more than me when I redo the renders. Thanks!

Offline Skok

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 12:49:46 »
Interesting set — I like the colourway more than I would have expected initially.

- The base kit has <> and \| in R4 — \| should be one row up, in R3.
- An extra B and an F13 key have become pretty much standard additions to base kits in ICs. Consider having them, too.

- The NorDeUk kit is described as having support for "Norwegian, British, German, Danish", yet Swedish/Finnish is fully supported but not included in the list.
- '? in R1 isn't used in any of the four (five) layouts listed, so it should be taken out.
- The keys ◌́◌̀, ◌́◌̀| and \◌̀◌́ all show the acute accent as a low mark. This might just be a render artifact, but do ensure that remains only as so.

GLWIC!

Thank you for your feedback. I'll definitely make some of these changes when I go back and redo the base kit renders, maybe tomorrow if I can.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 15:20:33 »
Interesting set — I like the colourway more than I would have expected initially.

- The base kit has <> and \| in R4 — \| should be one row up, in R3.

GLWIC!

What is the extra B for?

Offline juice_pouch

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 15:47:28 »
What is the extra B for?

Alice-like layouts

Offline Grady

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 23:50:38 »
love this

Offline ISOxSwap

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 14:10:41 »
I like it, but can't we have the runes like secondary alphas like all the weeb-set have Japanese? 🙏

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 14:23:49 »
I like it, but can't we have the runes like secondary alphas like all the weeb-set have Japanese? 🙏

That sounds cool but also busy.

Offline PrinceRinse

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 17:39:12 »
Patiently waiting for the GB to start  :'(

Offline Skok

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 17:49:34 »
Patiently waiting for the GB to start  :'(
Working on it!

Offline Jacki

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 19:30:57 »
I wish there was an option for the full scandinavianl rune alphabet for alphas.

[img width=267 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/in3VqH2.jpg[/img