Author Topic: The Humble Hacker Keyboard  (Read 118357 times)

Offline audioave10

The Humble Hacker Keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 18:29:55 »
I kinda like "humble hacker"....and this is awesome work!
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline dmw

• http://humblehacker.com
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 17:28:12 »
Thanks for the compliment, audioave10!  I've got one vote for 'humble hacker', any others?

Since starting to use this keyboard full-time, I've made quite a few changes to the default maps.  These changes have rendered many of my labeled keycaps obsolete.  Because of this, I decided to paint my case black, and go with my set of completely blank black keycaps.  Here's a few pics:

I went with a flat black modeling paint, and it looks pretty good.  But I think I'd like to repaint it with a semi-gloss.  The plastic is quite rough, and I think a few coats of a thicker paint might smooth it out some.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 July 2010, 19:52:33 by dmw »

Offline chimera15

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 18:18:02 »
Looks awesome, looks like something that would fit right in Gattaca. ;)
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline dmw

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 23:53:39 »
You mean, like this?

Offline chimera15

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 02 July 2010, 02:07:02 »
No, that's the one I'm working on. lol
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline unicomp

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 02 July 2010, 02:50:38 »
Is it not difficult to type on the matrix-like board? I have not had the opportunity to try typing on a board which has not got staggered keys and so I cannot tell how hard it might be to make the transition.

Offline noctua

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 02 July 2010, 02:57:12 »
Rather the opposite. Personally, i use a similar prototype and i type very
comfortable with such an matrix-like style..
Selfmade Keyboard I (done)
DT225 CH Trackball

Selfmade Keyboard II (95% completed)
L-Trac CST2545W-RC Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline dmw

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 05 July 2010, 13:43:23 »
Quote from: unicomp;198605
Is it not difficult to type on the matrix-like board? I have not had the opportunity to try typing on a board which has not got staggered keys and so I cannot tell how hard it might be to make the transition.

noctua is right, quite the opposite is true.  Staggered layouts are an anachronism - a relic of the mechanics of manual typewriters.  It was never intended as the optimum key placement; instead, staggering was a compromise necessary to prevent the bars that the keys were attached to from running into each other.

A matrix layout really is a much more natural layout.  Staggered layouts only make sense if they are staggered in opposite directions for the left and right side.  It doesn't take much time to learn to change to a matrix layout.  You'll find yourself missing keys at first. But you'll quickly get used to it.  I can switch back and forth between staggered and non-staggered layouts with only a minute or so of adjustment.  Muscle memory is amazingly adaptive.

Offline Specter_57

DMW...here is an interesting page on using SD/SDHC cards with Atmegas...

SD/SDHC Card Interfacing with ATmega8 /32 (FAT32 implementation)
http://www.radiolocman.com/shem/schematics.html?di=65357

------

and also over at the Sparkfun.com forum  ...SD/MMC Bootloader
http://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?t=1537

and go to the last post

------

...maybe this will help...?

Spec_57

Offline dmw

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 05 July 2010, 17:22:00 »
Useful stuff - thanks for the links!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 19:40:19 »
I really like the features you've built into this board. I find the overall layout very appealing, more so than most of the individual boards that inspired the design. Obviously I'm prejudiced as a big Kinesis Contoured fan, but you really seem to have a winner! I'm keeping my eye on it as you continue to move further along.

Can you make the whole thing in lime green?

:)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 20:16:55 »
Staggered layout FTW.  I tried using a "matrix" layout at work once...  after twenty minutes I gave up forever.  I don't know if it's finger size, the angle my fingers comfortably rest on the home row, or something else, but I just COULDN'T adapt.  I agree about muscle memory being adaptive, but this was more about muscle pain.  Putting my wrists closer together so that my fingers lined up better vertically was awful.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline dmw

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 20:38:16 »
input nirvana:  Thanks!  As you've probably gathered, I'm also a big Kinesis Contoured fan, and this board is pretty close to a mini kinesis.  If I could make more, I'm sure with a can of Krylon we could come up with a lime green that would suit you ;)

Oqsy:  Twenty minutes is a pretty short time to try to get used to a new layout.  Which keyboard did you try?

I think that a matrix layout really starts to be an advantage with increased hand separation.  I can see how it might cause pain if you tried a matrix board with the standard hand placement - especially for the right hand, since the stagger on a normal keyboard leans left, your right wrist, which is used to stretching to the left, would be twisting uncomfortably to the right to compensate.  Kind of like constantly reaching for the backspace.  Alternately, the left hand would be less twisted.  When I type on a staggered board, I actually turn the keyboard to make it more comfortable.

The humble hacker keyboard eliminates a lot of this.  It has ample hand separation.  There is zero twist in my wrist while I'm typing this, unlike my experience on normal staggered keyboards.  And all the difficult reaches on the right side of the keyboard have been eliminated.

If you hold out your hands flat in front of you as if on a keyboard and twist your wrists right and left, you'll notice that you have less range of motion when twisting away from the center of your body, and more range of motion when twisting toward the center.  On this keyboard, there is almost zero twisting away from center, and minimal twisting toward the center.  This makes for very comfortable typing.

I wish I could make a bunch of these just to have people try them out.

Offline noctua

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 03:37:49 »
dmw: which material you have choosed? White, Strong & Flexible or another one?
Selfmade Keyboard I (done)
DT225 CH Trackball

Selfmade Keyboard II (95% completed)
L-Trac CST2545W-RC Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline dmw

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 10:36:00 »
White, strong and flexible.

Since you asked this question, I revisited Shapeways.com and was surprised to find that their prices have come down dramatically since I last used their service.  My $250 enclosure can now be had for just over $100!  With a limited volume, I should be able to get total costs down to less than $400 per keyboard.

They've also added many more material options.  For some insane amount of money, I can get an enclosure made of gold plated stainless steel.  But more realistically, they now offer a "black, strong and flexible", so I wouldn't have to spray paint the case.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 10:40:08 »
20 minutes was plenty of time to know that the board I was using was going to result in aches and pains I had no interest in having.  The typos were not that big a deal, I would learn which fingers are closer to which keys soon enough.  This was an issue of ergonomics.  I'll take a picture of the board at work today.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 15:12:58 »
Here it is.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 15:14:16 »
Oops triple post. Here's the board.

Offline dmw

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 18:11:14 »

Wow.  That does look painful, matrix or not. With the same hand separation as a normal keyboard, your wrists are already slightly externally rotated.  Then, to reach those ill-placed shift keys, depending on your your typing style you may have to externally rotate even further.  A recipe for pain.

On the positive side, it's similar to my keyboard in that it has mostly eliminated the right-hand reaches.  Though I'm left wondering how you would type [ ] and { }.

It's an interesting board.  What is it and where did you find it?  Any idea what kind of switches are in it?

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 19:58:39 »
Rubber dome, it's a medical equipment board from a hospital.  Most likely a dead end like many others from up there I've looked into so far.  The only ones of any interest were the Model M's (42H1292 PS/2), some NMB space invaders, and a couple of brown cherry boards.  The rest of the stuff I've found up there have been rubber dome, fujitsu peerless, cherry ML, or equally frustrating switches.

The size of the board in that pic is very nice, and would probably be pretty cool if it could be retrofitted with mechanical switches and remapped suitably.  It has a hardcore steel plate on the back, and weighs more than most of my mechanicals (northgate and model m excluded of course), but I'm pretty sure it's a terminal board and would take more work than it would be worth to make it useful.

Offline eugenius

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 04:53:36 »
Aren't the keys in the lowest row too angled for a keyboard that sits flat on the table?
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline geekabit

• geekabit.nl
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 07:26:58 »
I just read about the humble hacker keyboard and was amazed. What a marvelous piece of work. I love the symmetrical layout. Off course I want one now. There is one thing I was wondering about though. You mentioned swapping around some keys. What is your current layout?

Offline geekabit

• geekabit.nl
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 14:03:05 »

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
Re: The Humble Hacker Keyboard
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 19:52:19 »
I love this,  I found it in google, recited last month on  http://www1.kbdmania.net/xe/photo/7386121

A Warm Thanks to the Author !    Sorry for not asking ahead  :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 October 2013, 08:13:46 by sprit »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 08:10:56 »
DMW, I love your work! You are a seriously committed geek, heh!

unlike me, who is still at the basic soldering level!

Thanks for all the kind words. I've updated the article with more information about the case and keys, and corrected some minor mis-statements (apparently, I can't tell my left hand from my right).

IBI: The layout is Dvorak, so the semicolon key is found on the bottom-left, next to the left shift key.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline need

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 19:25:36 »
dmw, that's incredible.

The dedication is just wow, WOW...!

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 21:39:40 »
Holy necro Batman
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline sordna

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 11:44:26 »
Holy necro Batman

Why do people shout 'necro' when an old thread is updated... Is it a problem? What is the problem, exactly?

Should the previous person have started a new thread just to praise the work done in this thread? That would be ridiculous.
Threads like this are timeless, and comments about this amazing project should be posted right here, in the project thread. Regardless of the previous post date. No?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 11:47:22 »
Holy necro Batman

Why do people shout 'necro' when an old thread is updated... Is it a problem? What is the problem, exactly?

Should the previous person have started a new thread just to praise the work done in this thread? That would be ridiculous.
Threads like this are timeless, and comments about this amazing project should be posted right here, in the project thread. Regardless of the previous post date. No?

holy necro batman

Offline menuhin

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 10:46:14 »
I have to necro this thread..!

Let me do it myself: "Holy necro batman!"

One reason I want to hear from dmw for his updates and about his usage updates about this keyboard.
Another reason is, he shared his design online and there are a few improvements and ideas that I want to share, e.g. separating the function keys into clusters by 0.25u spaces like in the Noppoo PLUM nano 75s
More

After all, as a fan of ortholinear keyboard, this is a particularly simple and elegant design, and so many design concern details, such as 1.25u modifier keys and their placements and the split "space bars". I bet many people would like to built a board like this one if a kit is readily available.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2016, 10:47:54 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]