Author Topic: writing/typing projects section?  (Read 4587 times)

Offline wellington1869

writing/typing projects section?
« on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 02:13:42 »
I wonder if it makes sense to have a writing/typing projects section of the forum where people can talk about what they're writing on or working on (novels, screenplays, essays, short stories, programming projects) and update their status and if they want, maybe even get feedback or advice. After all what are we doing with all these keyboards but using them a lot on such things?

Or does that just fall under "off topic"? ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 02:26:07 »
I'm a bit too private for that, but if you PM me I'll email you some of my stuff. Call me stupid, but I don't put my stuff on the internet.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 02:29:27 »
Well I meant even just to talk about the process, not necessarily post actual works. Just to b*tch or complain or just declare small victories :) Or talk about anything at all related to specific projects that we're all working on.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 02:41:57 »
I get you. The process fascinates me, so I'd like that.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 03:06:52 »
ya, I think I would too.  :)  Arguably it would fit into the basic character of this site, maybe expanding it a little bit from keyboards per se to keyboards-in-use :)

Maybe call it "writing/programming projects".

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 03:50:13 »
It would be good for me because, to be honest, with all the code talked around here I find a lot of threads are written in a different language, so this would give me more to do here. I'm bored to death of the Alps discussions, and I don't even think I'm going to buy a new keyboard for a while now. Something like this (even though some will be in code speak) might take a different direction and freshen up the site a bit.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 08:27:38 »
I hear ya.

Offline lam47

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 12:06:34 »
I'm working on a new book.
I am an illustrator so most of it is pictures.
Unfortunately my process is all in my head for months before putting anything on paper or screen :(
If I finally do write or draw anything I will post it here for sure.

x
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 12:59:25 »
I write very dark and morbid stuff. I'm working on a book of short stories that reads like a novel because all the stories are connected. That one is about a serial killer who tortures victims for weeks before he kills them, and it's kind of shelved for now. I'm also working on scifi novel that I refuse to post anything about because it's one of those rare ideas and this is the internet.

And I love writing short stories. Some are about crime, some are about ghosts and one is about Death and where he lives. These average about 3-5 pages single spaced and I like to write them so much because they are quick, clean and fun. I only wish I could write novels in as many sittings. I've ended the world in some, saved just one person in others. I probably write 10-15 of these a year.

And on the back burner, I have future ideas brewing, like a zombie story, MY zombie story. I have been working that one for a year or so, and part of the reason is the fact that the zombies in a zombie book should be little more than a backdrop for the story, but at the same time are the very thing the entire book will judged on by most readers. I have to have a fresh take on the zombie genre or it's gonna stall the project. I have the story down and the setting and flow, so now I need to work my zombie model and either find one that works or change up the mythos a little bit.

So my process is this — I keep a story in my head and if it still makes sense and feels good after however long it takes, then I write something on it. This something could be a character list or a short story or a study of a mood or something and I file it away. I take it out after weeks or months and read through it. If the idea still is workable and not stupid, I work it. When it's done, I put away my first draft for a while before I start my second (and usually final) draft.

But for my 2000 words a day, I usually write vicious rants, edit them when I'm done and then close the file without saving. It's stuff I wouldn't want anyone to read and though it was a hard lesson, I learned to throw away my writing, which made me realize that creativity festers if it's not in constant motion, so it is like a road that goes on forever so long as you don't stop.

As far as keyboards, I'm using the Topre for everything these days, but if I feel the need for some clicks, I take out the MK96. A clicky keyboard is better suited for writing really violent scenes, fast paced action and stream of conscience. It's like a punching metronome. I would love to write a noir on my Model M mini, since I've written noir on a 1391401 and it came out really gritty and strong.

Anyway, enough about me.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 13:58:05 »
I think I found a fresh take on the serial killer story, but the zombie thing is harder. I need to put maybe another year into it.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 15:26:49 »
so do we petition imav for the forum addition?

Offline secularzarathustra

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 11 January 2009, 15:25:54 »
This would be a great addition to the forums, one that I'd also participate in.
Dark and the Desert and Destriers me ken,
And the Glaive and the Joust, and Paper and Pen.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 January 2009, 16:39:29 »
I PM'ed iMav...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 15:18:11 »
iMav must be thinking really hard about this; I havent heard from him yet ;D

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 15:23:44 »
I emailed him with a question over a week ago and he hasn't got back to me. I me and Wellington aren't in the cool crowd here.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 15:27:37 »
Quote from: xsphat;17884
I emailed him with a question over a week ago and he hasn't got back to me. I me and Wellington aren't in the cool crowd here.

You know, he could just be very busy.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 15:35:47 »
Quote from: xsphat;17884
I me and Wellington

Split personalities, XsPhat?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 15:38:49 »
I forgot to write think and you forgot to do it, itlnstln.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 16:17:40 »
man, what does it all mean?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 16:40:24 »
Maybe he's in his basement pinned down under a load of old keyboards that toppled on him.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 16:59:37 »
Hmm. That might explain it...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 17:04:56 »
Those M's can be mighty heavy

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 17:39:04 »
Hey, I wouldn't keep keyboards in my basement. The nerve of some people.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 20:21:19 »
I am thinking about this right now.  For now...code projects/ideas/etc can be posted in "other geeky stuff" and writing project stuff can go in "off topic".  

BTW, I don't currently have an email from xsphat...so if you sent me an email, you'll want to re-send it.  :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 20:24:25 »
It's all right, I was asking about a Trackman Marble and I didn't know if it was a good or bad model (newer, USB). It was on eBay. No biggy.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 05 February 2009, 16:46:20 »
an update to this thread, so XS and I launched a forum of sorts for writers and coders to talk about our projects (or just vent about them) and anything else related (pens, chairs, bookholders, desks, whatever). Its called wordhack (natch). Just launched so I expect it to be a desert for a while, but if you're looking for an outlet to vent about your particular writing/coding/language-learning project, come on over.

I'm going to launch it officially with a review of the connect-a-desk ;) in a couple of days, lol.