Author Topic: What can you say about the Cm storm quckfire pro  (Read 1625 times)

Offline twilek

What can you say about the Cm storm quckfire pro
« on: Thu, 03 May 2012, 20:05:19 »
I mean in terms of quality, also will you notice a difference betweent the brown and red switch and if so can someone tell me where I can get one with reds in them I'm from the western side of the pond if that helps anyone.

Offline tobydeemer

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 May 2012, 20:26:15 »
I may be incorrect, but I don't think the Pro is available in reds; only brown. As far as feel, for more detail, consult the switch wiki. But the red is a linear, non-tactile, non-click switch. It will "tok" when you bottom out, but has no tactile bump in pressing. Browns are a tactile, non-clicky switch, meaning it will bump as you press, but has no click. It also will "tok" if you bottom out. If noise is an issue for you, then dampener rings make a remarkable difference.

As far as quality, I can't say for certain, but consensus here seems to be that the OEM on the Pro is iOne, and quality is sort of middle of the road. The CM Storm Quickfire (which I am using now with dampened blues) is reportedly made by Costar, who also makes filco. And in my experience, the build quality is excellent. I take this board back and forth to work everyday in my laptop bag, and it's not batted an eye.

links to buy, if browns are ok:
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=74
http://www.cmstore-usa.com/quickfire-pro-mechanical-gaming-keyboard/
----
// SGI AT101 // SIIG Minitouch  // 87 & 93 & Terminal 122 Model M // Poker II Brown // CMS QFS Gateron Green // Alps GlidePoint Rackmount // DataGeneral 6311 Acer // ...annnnd some other randoms... //

Offline hard worker

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 May 2012, 23:27:24 »
As I know they will launch red but I do not know when.

Offline Chocobo

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 May 2012, 21:27:58 »
I'm somewhat of a newbie and it seems strange to me that the Quickfire Rapid and Quickfire Pro would be made by two completely different companies.

I have a Quickfire Rapid and it's great, the quality is significantly better than my friend's Razer Blackwidow. I have to say I would have preferred brown switches over blue though, so maybe I'll try out the Pro someday.

I type harder than some people and prefer keys that are a bit stiffer. I can certainly understand that some quick and light touch-typers would be able to type faster using the reds, but I don't think they're for me. As for gaming, I'd be hitting the keys pretty hard so I don't think the switch type would matter for me in that regard.

Offline Spartan

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 May 2012, 22:43:37 »
I had the Pro for about a week and fell in love with it. I also o-ringed several keys and it was perfect. Quite and tactile.

BUT....

I have problems with my vision and could not see the keys in lower light or when I was tired.

I am not a mechanical board guru so take this with that in mind. I spent an hour in a local large computer store with about half the mechanical keyboards on the market. In my opinion, it's the best in terms of price and quality.

Offline yearn4

• formerly known as 4en
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 May 2012, 00:44:00 »
the keyfeel when you type on it is not as good as say a das or filco but you will only notice it if you have used those.
if you never used those then just stick with the quickfire because it's not worth spoiling yourself over for 2x-3x the price

Offline Spartan

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 May 2012, 00:57:58 »
Quote from: 4en;590018
the keyfeel when you type on it is not as good as say a das or filco but you will only notice it if you have used those.
if you never used those then just stick with the quickfire because it's not worth spoiling yourself over for 2x-3x the price

If they are the same Brown keys, how can that be? Are the other guys lubricating or greasing them?

To me, what made a huge difference to be were the o-rings. On both the BlackWidow and Storm Pro, the keys would go down with a soft feeling thud instead of a hard landing clack. HUGE difference and highly recommend o-ringing. Also worked just as well with the flat, thin washers from Home Despots.

Offline captain

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 May 2012, 23:58:27 »
I could say a lot, but it'll just get rolledback.  :-P
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.