Author Topic: Steampunk boards!  (Read 2739 times)

Offline zerogravitas

Steampunk boards!
« on: Wed, 11 June 2008, 19:55:10 »
Check these out:

http://www.datamancer.net/keyboards/keyboards.htm

Faq here:
http://www.datamancer.net/keyboards/keyboardfaq.htm

They usually range from about $1200 to $1500 or more

The keyboards I use are brand new keyboards modeled after the older style "mechanical-switch" models that use Cherry Keyswitches.

Offline bigpook

Steampunk boards!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 June 2008, 20:26:01 »
These keyboards are like works of art. The fellow that does the work certainly has a passion for it. While the price is steep, I certainly won't be buying one, I can see how they get to be that expensive.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline Eclairz

Steampunk boards!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 June 2008, 20:27:10 »
It makes you want to relearn all your wood working skills, and learn some other skills like metal work. Used to be very enriching experience to build something physical and be smug of your achievement.
But I'm a programmer so I build things virtually and get other people to build it for me, they look worth $1500 with all their detailing, but I would probably ruin it really quickly. When I become mega-rich I will consider getting one build for me, and with special layout arrangement.
Imagine a HHKB layout version, or other compact layout and a fake printer on the end of it to make it look like an typewriter.
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Steampunk boards!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 June 2008, 21:39:27 »
I saw Das and Tactile Pro 2 in there, they may not be you personal fav but you have to credit them for starting with something that's at least "in the ball park".
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Steampunk boards!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 June 2008, 21:48:04 »
I, personally don't like them one bit.  I can't imagine them being at all comfortable to type on.  Way too much form over function for me.

Offline zerogravitas

Steampunk boards!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 June 2008, 14:49:19 »
Quote from: iMav;5362
I, personally don't like them one bit.  I can't imagine them being at all comfortable to type on.  Way too much form over function for me.

The function looks mostly fine to me.  The only problem I see are keys like enter, alt, ctrl, etc are a little smaller than I am used to (which doesn't seem like that big a deal at all), and the felt may make cleaning out keyboard chow rather interesting. :)   I'd probably take one of these over the similarly priced Optimus Maximus keyboard. :)

The datamancer boards are based closely on the board found here:

http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml

This one is based on an IBM Model M.  The site shows how it was built.

Cory Doctorow got one of the Datamancer boards. He says:

When I got back from my book tour earlier this month, I was delighted to discover that the handmade steampunk keyboard I'd ordered from Datamancer had arrived. I unpacked and connected it right away and I've been using it ever since, every day, here in my office. The action is great, a little like well-oiled manual, a little like one of the classic indestructible IBM clacky sysadmin keyboards. The keys are shaped like tombstones (I got to specify that) and the three little crystalline lamps on the top right corner light up for power, caps-lock and numlock. There are plenty of gracenotes, too -- like the heavy metallic keyboard cable and the legend "Aether" on the spacebar. It wasn't cheap, and it took eight weeks to arrive, but man, was it worth it

Doesn't sound too bad.  :)

Offline Chuque

Steampunk boards!
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 June 2008, 00:09:48 »
I nearly ordered one of these for myself a few months ago, more for the art than the function. But there there is something to be said for functional art.

Once I get myself back in a position to support the arts again I have every intention of contacting him for a custom job.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Steampunk boards!
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 June 2008, 00:19:26 »
I would like a set of typewritter keys for my HHKB Pro 2, but I think anything else would just kill the design of the 'board.