Author Topic: Would anyone be able to help with WASD keyb designing  (Read 9443 times)

Offline mmaou

Would anyone be able to help with WASD keyb designing
« on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 13:25:29 »
Hi there, this is my first post, so please do tell me if I make any mistakes on usage of the forum
and english is not my first language so please excuse my mistakes.

I was looking for a mechanical keyboard for a while untill recently I found out about the WASD keyboards.
I had a fiddle with their keyboard designer on their webpage and as I was looking at the gallery, I have seen these keyboards
with pictures on it, and apparently you can make your own .cdr or .ai file with their templates.
Examples are like these.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=272302182808792&set=a.272301829475494.61780.209777592394585&type=1&relevant_count=4

I have no previous experience with cdr and ai but I do know a little bit about photoshop (if its relevant at all)
I have downloaded some simple pictures and would want to superimpose it onto the templates files, but the parts of the picture will be located in between the 'key squares' on the template, does it mean I need to cut the picture into squares and fir them into each key squares on the template?

Are there any guides of some sort out there instructing how to make the cdr file for the WASD keyboards?
I m not putting much hope as I have no experience of the cdr/ai programs but I guess there's no harm asking.
Any comments would be appreciated!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Would anyone be able to help with WASD keyb designing
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 13:27:40 »
hit up dc hes done some work for me http://tinyurl.com/bpehe93

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 13:46:07 »
I believe WASDkeyboards takes vector formats CDR (which I am not familiar with) and AI (the adobe illustrator native file format), so your photoshop skills may or may net be relevant. There are fundamental differences between vector and raster graphics. Still you may be able to whip something up in inkscape or illustrator if you have it (or corel (draw?), which i think gives your CDR files).

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 20:38:11 »
I may be alone on this but I would like to get a set of caps that look similar to this.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 20:44:05 »
That is cool, but you are aware that WASD can only shoot in monochrome, right?

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 20:47:30 »
That is cool, but you are aware that WASD can only shoot in monochrome, right?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Even monochrome I would buy that set up.

Offline zzAaron

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 20:59:39 »
Lol is that akali from league?

anyways the buttons are messed up not sure if its on purpose
Ducky 9008G2 Browns, White Filco TKL Reds

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 21:10:05 »
So here is a quick mark-up of the WASD template.  What I think would happen is that only the portions of the overlay that are on the printable keycap areas would appear, leaving a sort-of checkerboard effect.  But I dont know for sure.  I've been there and watched them shoot, and since all the keys are on a tray under the laser at the same time, it might come out better than I'd expect.

FWIW,

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Ignore the missing WingDings.  That is an easily-corrected artifact since I am not using Windows.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 December 2012, 21:30:21 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 21:21:26 »
When I did my keyboard I used their template, used 'Inkscape' and created a vector graphic of what I wanted.  I did not do something like you post in OP but I was told by the guys at WASD that essentially what you can fit in the black lines on the template will print on the keycap.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 21:28:41 »
When I did my keyboard I used their template, used 'Inkscape' and created a vector graphic of what I wanted.  I did not do something like you post in OP but I was told by the guys at WASD that essentially what you can fit in the black lines on the template will print on the keycap.

Yes; that was precisely what I did.  That image was a screenshot of Inkscape showing the WASD template and a monochrome version of the L4D2 logo.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 23:15:51 »
You might have to adjust the image so more of it shows up on the keycaps but that looks awesome.