Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3480317 times)

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #16400 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 19:17:54 »
The problem as a beginner is, you don't know exactly what you want, what you are looking for, what's available, etc. I bought a Filco Majestouch 2 as my first serious mechanical keyboard, and it's still doing it's job, never let me down. Could I've decided better? Probably, as, later on, you want to change the mapping, change switches, etc, and you can't do that with products off the shelf. Could I've decided worse, double yes. So I do not regret it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 December 2018, 19:20:54 by Eszett »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16401 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 19:51:27 »
Hey, I am very new into mechanical keyboards and quite like the look of the the GMMK. I am just wondering is this a good keyboard and is it good for beginners? Maybe some other keyboard recommendations for a beginner in the sub £50-£150 range... preferable under £100? Thank You

Welcome to Geekhack!

For a first keyboard, you'd want something that you can easily change keycaps i.e. a standard layout.  As you quoted prices in GBP I'd guess you'll be looking for an ISO layout keyboard, which will limit your choice of replacement keycaps considerably.  If you can adjust to an ANSI layout, the choice of replacement keycaps will expand considerably.

You'll probably end up with a number of different keyboards, different layouts, different sizes, different materials eventually anyway, so just enjoy the journey :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Mikey G

« Reply #16402 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 13:04:06 »
Hey, I am very new into mechanical keyboards and quite like the look of the the GMMK. I am just wondering is this a good keyboard and is it good for beginners? Maybe some other keyboard recommendations for a beginner in the sub £50-£150 range... preferable under £100? Thank You

Welcome to Geekhack!

For a first keyboard, you'd want something that you can easily change keycaps i.e. a standard layout.  As you quoted prices in GBP I'd guess you'll be looking for an ISO layout keyboard, which will limit your choice of replacement keycaps considerably.  If you can adjust to an ANSI layout, the choice of replacement keycaps will expand considerably.

You'll probably end up with a number of different keyboards, different layouts, different sizes, different materials eventually anyway, so just enjoy the journey :)

Hi Rowdy, thanks for you help and reply. I am currently on ANSI and clearly have no reason to change layouts back to ISO... thanks for telling me, I did have a 1 or 2 ISO layout keyboards on my short list... it is good to know to steer clear for a while until I know/have learnt more. :thumb:

Offline hs429q

« Reply #16403 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 14:29:37 »
Where can I buy a custom Carbon Fiber Plate?

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #16404 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 08:41:18 »
Has anyone yet to make a solution for Topre to MX Sliders for the spacebar? I've had a few sets of KBDFans MX Sliders and I know they don't have MX spacebar stabilizers. I know Novatouch and Realforce RGB sliders accommodate, but those are pretty rare/pricey. Seems like somebody must have created a 3d print mold for MX stabilizer sliders or something by now.

UPDATE: Hoping this works out: https://www.shapeways.com/product/VAPD43WYK/topre-to-mx-stabilizer-plunger-right
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 December 2018, 16:23:43 by Koatl »
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline gabetjh

« Reply #16405 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 02:07:58 »
why cant i post on some communities like clack happens?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16406 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 13:13:15 »

The Clack Happens thread is currently locked, so regular users cannot create new posts. Typically, when a thread is locked, only mods/admins (and the OP of that thread? not 100% sure) will be able to post.

There are also some subforums that have restrictions on who can create new threads. Some artisan and vendor subforums are set up so that only the vendor can create new threads, to reduce clutter in the subforum. Several sections in the marketplace are also set up such that only members who have been on GH for at least two months and have a postcount of 25 or higher can create new threads, matching our restrictions on who can sell items on geekhack.

Does that answer your question completely?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline gabetjh

« Reply #16407 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 19:09:54 »

The Clack Happens thread is currently locked, so regular users cannot create new posts. Typically, when a thread is locked, only mods/admins (and the OP of that thread? not 100% sure) will be able to post.

There are also some subforums that have restrictions on who can create new threads. Some artisan and vendor subforums are set up so that only the vendor can create new threads, to reduce clutter in the subforum. Several sections in the marketplace are also set up such that only members who have been on GH for at least two months and have a postcount of 25 or higher can create new threads, matching our restrictions on who can sell items on geekhack.

Does that answer your question completely?
yes it did! thank you!

Offline sobr

« Reply #16408 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 18:21:40 »
Hey all - I've been using a Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 cherry blue for 5 years and just recently noticed that the action on the keys has changed - not like they're sticking but almost sticking - like they're stiff - or require more effort on each keypress. (apologies for not knowing the right lingo)

I think this has probably been a slow creep of performance degradation and it only became pronounced enough for me to notice it recently.

I am the worst about any type of maintenance or cleaning - keyboard is not a pretty sight. I don't even know if the keys come off on this model or not but I think not.

ANYWAY my quick question is: Do I bother trying to get this serviced or do I just buy a new one and sell this one as-is on ebay?

If service: I'm in the SF Bay Area - so where?

I really love this keyboard and can't imagine I would get any other model but this same one as a replacement (unless there's someone here who's been a diehard Ninja lover who's since converted to something else even better, and can convince me). I am not a kb enthusiast just someone who needs to type fast all day long.

Thanks all.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #16409 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 05:45:46 »
Remove the caps, and turn the keyboard upside down shaking all the debris out. Plus, use an old toothbrush to brush the debris out.

Offline metomer

« Reply #16410 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 15:52:06 »
Hey guys I'm new here,

got my first 40% coming in the post atm, it's a vortex core. I'm worried about the form factor of 40% but excited nonetheless.

Does anyone know where I can get some keycaps for it? as I know its kinda an awkward set,

thanks!
Vortex Core

Offline zunger

Simple question: Keycool 84S Firmware
« Reply #16411 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 00:00:45 »
I just got my hands on a Keycool 84S, but its layout is very wrong to use with a Mac. Does anyone know what firmware it uses, and what incantation(s) are required to flash it? (If such exist...)
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 January 2019, 00:07:30 by zunger »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #16412 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 01:53:31 »
What's an OK Topre TMK/QMK programmable keyboard? Conversions, reprogramming, some soldering or switching of parts allowed.
I'm looking at a Leopold FC600c with the TMK daughterboard, but the keyboard seems to be out of production, and I'd be stuck with Topre-compatible keycaps.

Are any of the Plum keyboards TMK-compatible?

Offline MFahim

« Reply #16413 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 03:48:19 »
Hi, I recently got my hands on a LZ-RV, but after I flashed a new layout using JigOn, a few keys have been acting up. They dont register the keypresses I set in JigOn, and instead give out different ones, Ive tried a few things but I havent been able to fix this yet. pls help.

edit: fixed by redownloading jigon and reflashing  :-\
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 February 2019, 04:11:17 by MFahim »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #16414 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 07:54:06 »
What's an OK Topre TMK/QMK programmable keyboard? Conversions, reprogramming, some soldering or switching of parts allowed.
I'm looking at a Leopold FC600c with the TMK daughterboard, but the keyboard seems to be out of production, and I'd be stuck with Topre-compatible keycaps.

Are any of the Plum keyboards TMK-compatible?

What is "OK"?

But I can only see that for Topre, it is only possible to use TMK via Hasu's drop-in controller or adapter, e.g. Hasu's HHKB Alternative Controller. It has been working really well for me.

FC660c is very solid with a metal plate, and if you're in the Topre game, you have to deal with the only-Topre caps situation, but KBDfans seems to have more and more option for Topre boards.

Plum keyboards AFAIR is not TMK/QMK compatible unless someone recently has ported it to support them on QMK, which will be great. Plum has a much softer less tactile key feel than Topre, but some people are into it.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #16415 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 11:34:37 »
What is "OK"?
Good question. I currently use a Realforce RGB at work, but I won't be using the one at home as much. I use Hasu's USB-USB adapter for that, which is fine, but obviously I would prefer for the keyboard itself to run the software instead of having a separate adapter that I have to carry around and debug if anything goes wrong.

I just ordered a Plum 87 from the Massdrop this week, so that's plan A.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16416 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 20:15:33 »
It's been so long I can't remember - how easy is it to replace a switch on an original Ducky Shine?

The numpad 0 if that makes any difference.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16417 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 20:52:11 »
It's been so long I can't remember - how easy is it to replace a switch on an original Ducky Shine?

IIRC you just have to desolder the led then the switch, pop them out, then solder in the replacements.

I don't think the stabilizer will be in the way.

The early boards were much simpler than some of the newer models.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16418 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 19:56:46 »

IIRC you just have to desolder the led then the switch, pop them out, then solder in the replacements.

I don't think the stabilizer will be in the way.

The early boards were much simpler than some of the newer models.

That sounds promising, thanks.  Especially about the stabilisers, I'd forgotten about those, what with using TKL keyboards mostly these days.

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #16419 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 05:39:11 »
Is this pad printed or doubleshot? What puts me off is the fact that it has scoops, and nipples.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16420 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 11:08:24 »
Is this pad printed or doubleshot? What puts me off is the fact that it has scoops, and nipples.

(Attachment Link)
Looks like lasered not pad printed or doubleshot.

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #16421 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 13:08:32 »

(Attachment Link)
Looks like lasered not pad printed or doubleshot.

Thanks

Offline abattlescar

« Reply #16422 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 20:42:49 »
How can I change the layout of my keyboard without needing to change everything in qmk?  I just bought a zlant and like the layout except for 2 or 3 keys, so I don't want to mess around with qmk too much.  If anyone has a link to the JSON for the zlant's entirely default layout with the 3 layers that would help me as well.

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #16423 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 15:33:47 »
About OG cherry dyesub keycaps, are those abs or Pbt? For example in a g81-3000 SAD keyboard.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16424 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 15:34:50 »
About OG cherry dyesub keycaps, are those abs or Pbt? For example in a g81-3000 SAD keyboard.

dyesub = pbt

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #16425 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 14:34:13 »
Who is offering basic soldering services now? I have a PCB, case, switches, etc. that have been sitting on my desk forever and I haven't had time to put them together; I just want to pay someone trustworthy to do it.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #16426 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 14:37:06 »
Who is offering basic soldering services now? I have a PCB, case, switches, etc. that have been sitting on my desk forever and I haven't had time to put them together; I just want to pay someone trustworthy to do it.

I think lightningXI might be still taking on projects. Doesn't hurt to ask regardless

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16427 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 19:55:13 »

This thread is supposed to list things like that, but I suspect some sections might be out of date.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #16428 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 02:04:17 »

I think lightningXI might be still taking on projects. Doesn't hurt to ask regardless
Feel free to PM, bcredbottle. You can find me on Reddit, DT, and on the chat channels as well (Discord).

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #16429 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 06:58:31 »
Foreskin, or no foreskin?

Offline TobyLaroned

« Reply #16430 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 07:15:22 »
Anyone know how hard it is/have a guide to remove outemu hotswap sockets?

Planning to get a cheapo $15 used local brand board (digital alliance meca sport) with outemu hotswap sockets in em but I realized that outemu sockets don't fit other switches natively, so was planning to just remove em so I can solder in some box royals or something.

Tobre Laroned haha hehe

Offline hawkingeta

« Reply #16431 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 07:50:30 »
Hello, I am new here and thinking of building my very first DIY mechanical keyboard.

For my first build I want to go rather cheap and have done a lot of research, but I am still left wandering what PCB I should choose. My requirements are that I have a standard ANSI layout, as cheap as possible, NO RGB or backlight, QMK compatibility to do multi layer programming.
I have found the dz60 at KBDfans for $47 including Gateron Brown switches (MX Cherry are too expansive at the moment). Is this as cheap as it gets? The dz60 does have some backlighting and RBG stuff which I don't need.

What PCB would you recommend, and where should I get it?

Thanks

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #16432 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 15:34:01 »
Hi, Where can I buy costar stabs shipping to French ad good price.

Basically I see offer for ONE stab at 5$… I need like… 15/20 stabs n…n
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #16433 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 07:54:00 »
Another one,

What is the switch on the right ?

It’s like a scissor switch MX-compatible ?
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline reptilianbrain

« Reply #16434 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 14:40:34 »
What are the options for a split keyboard with the Mac-type layout of the left side?

So that the right edge of the ALT (CMD) would align (or be very close) to the right edge of the letter x button?

https://cdn1.tekrevue.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/mac-keyboard-command-control-960x540.jpg

Offline Artonkn

« Reply #16435 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 08:54:49 »
What are my current options for a 60% ISO with decent tactile like MX Clears or clicky switches.

Had a POK3R MX Clears but it'd died when rum was spilt on it.

Offline iamgk

« Reply #16436 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 10:23:34 »
I have a Varmilo VA87M and would like to change up its cable - do you have suggestions for EU-shipping stores that would carry compatible mini USB cables? Realistically I'm only concerned whether the cable is thin enough to fit through the keyboard's gap at its edge or whether it's a complete non-issue...

Offline MafiaButter

• "A child of the collosus of Armonk"
« Reply #16437 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 21:54:34 »
Would anyone happen to know what switches come under the alphas of the Canon AP500 (Not the 500-II)? I know the AP400 houses SKFF alps and the AP500-II houses SKCP, so I'm assuming the standard AP500 is one of those two? (Then again, I'm not familiar with the timeline of those Canon typewriters; numerically, the damned things might not even be chronological)
u/Yeet9000 ~ r/mk | MafiaButter ~ Deskthority

Offline ooitsaly

« Reply #16438 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 16:38:36 »
I'm a beginner, kind of. I typically only buy or build a keyboard when mine is on it's way out,  and it's about that time again....I'm looking for a cyan/teal/turquoise case for full size or TKL. Similar to the MiTo Pulse. I would be using it for school as well as games, etc,  and I do prefer to use the numpad for numbers. I just can't seem to find anything for sale at the moment. As reddit soooo kindly pointed out, I can of course hit request on the Pulse keyboard but it's super unlikely Massdrop will do another run anytime soon. So here I am...I can't seem to find anything on the sites I know to check, and I'm kind of overwhelmed by everything.

Offline tobiasvl

• ISO 9995
« Reply #16439 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 14:12:00 »
Hey! So the Zeal sale is over soon, and I'm wondering what I should get.

I've never owned any Zeal switches, but I'm using MX Clear now and I love the tactility, weight and sharp bump. They're pretty much perfect for me – except that they're a little scratchy.

I've tried a friend's board with 67g Zealios v1 (or quite possibly Stealios, this was around that time), and I thought they felt pretty smooth and great. I'm not sure how much that counts when v2 seem pretty different though.

I'm also not sure if I should get 67g, or go up to 78g. When I tried the 67g they felt pretty similar to the MX Clears, but Zeal's website describes 78g as a "lighter Clear". Weight isn't everything though – I've read (I think it was here on GeekHack?) that the 78g v2 feels more like Holy Panda, and I'm hoping for something with a sharper bump than that.
Any help/insight/experience would be appreciated! I should've gotten a switch tester, but then the sale happened…

Offline undinus

« Reply #16440 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 08:42:37 »
Hey, I've been trying to figure out a nice 75% keyboard (I'm aware of KB75, can't afford it since I'd need the fully built one)

So far I've narrowed down my options to Vortex Race 3 and MK MK84
Can anyone tell me which one is objectively better, I don't care about the 1.5u ESC on Race 3 or the font on MK84 so those are not a problem.

Thanks  :thumb:

Offline cspirou

« Reply #16441 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 08:38:25 »
When it comes to backlight keyboards, is it only worth getting shine-though keycaps? Are the LEDs wasted if you just use typical keycaps?

Somewhat related, when it comes to premium keycaps I don't see a lot of shine-through sets. Are there people working on some unique shine-through keycap sets?

Offline Skittleson

« Reply #16442 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 14:18:59 »
Would anyone happen to know what switches come under the alphas of the Canon AP500 (Not the 500-II)? I know the AP400 houses SKFF alps and the AP500-II houses SKCP, so I'm assuming the standard AP500 is one of those two? (Then again, I'm not familiar with the timeline of those Canon typewriters; numerically, the damned things might not even be chronological)

I've disassembled two AP-500s and both had SKFF switches. Pictures

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16443 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 05:32:58 »
When it comes to backlight keyboards, is it only worth getting shine-though keycaps? Are the LEDs wasted if you just use typical keycaps?

Somewhat related, when it comes to premium keycaps I don't see a lot of shine-through sets. Are there people working on some unique shine-through keycap sets?

You can get the benefit of underglow (light shining from under the keycaps).

These days "underglow" usually refers to LEDs around or under the keyboard case.

However: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83703.0

Look at the 5th and 6th pictures in the first post.  That's the kind of effect you could end up with (depending on keyboard, LEDs and keycaps).

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16444 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 21:13:53 »
sooooo who's the best NA vendor if I wanna run a key set eyes emoji
I love Elzy

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16445 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 05:40:14 »

They're all kinda sketchy and most seem to be constantly covered up with multiple buys going on in various states of success. :eek:

There was that one that posted a thread the other day claiming to be starting up in a couple months once their website is setup and their trademarks or names or whatever are patented, they got >$50K plus additional funding from their professor. They used a lot of fancy sounding words to. They deleted their GH post but one is still up on reddit.

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2019, 05:55:38 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16446 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 08:33:49 »

They're all kinda sketchy and most seem to be constantly covered up with multiple buys going on in various states of success. :eek:

There was that one that posted a thread the other day claiming to be starting up in a couple months once their website is setup and their trademarks or names or whatever are patented, they got >$50K plus additional funding from their professor. They used a lot of fancy sounding words to. They deleted their GH post but one is still up on reddit.

what's the consensus on MD now that they own us do we like em or not
I love Elzy

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #16447 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 09:12:39 »
Can someone tell me a detailed explanation of how Healios switches feel like?

Offline Venaros

« Reply #16448 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 08:07:42 »

They're a pretty smooth linear, about as smooth as tealios, the bottom out is mushy due to the silencing pads, but not as much as a silent cherry red. The spring weight is about the same as a cherry red, but it's slightly lighter at the beginning of the press, and slightly heavier at the end.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #16449 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 11:52:56 »

They're a pretty smooth linear, about as smooth as tealios, the bottom out is mushy due to the silencing pads, but not as much as a silent cherry red. The spring weight is about the same as a cherry red, but it's slightly lighter at the beginning of the press, and slightly heavier at the end.

Thank you