Author Topic: Keycult No 1/65 Build Log  (Read 11372 times)

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
Keycult No 1/65 Build Log
« on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 07:31:38 »
Took a bunch of pictures while building my 1/65 tonight. So instead of bogging down a different thread here's a new build log thread!

This is my first 65 board and first gasket board :cool:

Healios for that extra dampening goodness and Zeal screw in stabs for that bling.

Building the board was a treat, the way the pieces all fit together is completely new and unique compared to all my other boards.

::

I don't have a nice video camera, but here's a sound recording of a 10fastfingers test.

https://soundcloud.com/danger-mole/keycult-no-165-healios-soundtest

First off, the finished product -

Thanks to Riot for an amazing board!!

I just had to take a pic of these screw holes. The middle/weight design makes the top screws have this cool half/corner effect.

#12/15! My guess is 6 light gray - 6 black - 3 dark gray?

The magic screw-hole-less plate and its foam brothers!

The Configurator is another amazing part of the package.  The only the fly configuring confused me for a sec as I looked for a way to "save" my layout to the board :p

Only thing I couldn't figure out is how to setup and use the macros. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline SolidCactus

Re: Keycult No 1/65 Build Log
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 07:38:17 »
Wow lovely keyboard. Thanks for sharing

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 07:54:12 »
Dude, what a great build log and keyboard. I appreciate all the detail shots, really shows how much thought and effort Riot poured into this design. I'm jelly

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 08:16:26 »
Great build log!

The Configurator is another amazing part of the package.  The only the fly configuring confused me for a sec as I looked for a way to "save" my layout to the board :p

Only thing I couldn't figure out is how to setup and use the macros. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Macros aren't implemented in VIA Configurator yet... the macro keycodes are just placeholders for now.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 08:28:54 »
Very interesting to see the details of that kit's construction.  It's obvious lots of thought went into the design.  The PCB is really nice as well, with that reverse two-tone theme.  The finished board is beautiful.  Thank you for sharing!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Pemdas

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 08:34:54 »
Wow lovely keyboard. Thanks for sharing

Thanks! Really liking how it turned out :)

Dude, what a great build log and keyboard. I appreciate all the detail shots, really shows how much thought and effort Riot poured into this design. I'm jelly

The whole thing was a great experience. Tons of new things I haven't seen before while building keyboards!

Great build log!

Macros aren't implemented in VIA Configurator yet... the macro keycodes are just placeholders for now.

That makes sense ha thanks for the info. The configurator is really well done! The on the fly changing is something new for me and it's a great feature for key mapping :thumb:

Very interesting to see the details of that kit's construction.  It's obvious lots of thought went into the design.  The PCB is really nice as well, with that reverse two-tone theme.  The finished board is beautiful.  Thank you for sharing!

The whole middle/ half bottom piece is great. Before soldering in the switches I disassembeled and reassemebeled the case a couple times just cause it was so interesting it together  :p
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 January 2019, 08:36:48 by Pemdas »
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 08:36:45 »
This design is ****ing cool.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 09:23:09 »
Thanks so much for posting these pictures <3 Going to be sending people here for a proper view of the internals!

Super glad you're happy with your board.

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 09:28:16 »
Thanks so much for posting these pictures <3 Going to be sending people here for a proper view of the internals!

Super glad you're happy with your board.

I came here to tell you less chatting and more shipping of the brass. But I just got a shipment notification.

Riot is the dude. <3

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 09:30:07 »
Oh, how I enjoy build logs! Riot has done an amazing job on the case design. But I think we should seek inspiration outside of this hobby.  /s

Definitely a unique case design and the photos does it justice. Thanks Pemdas for this thread!  :thumb:
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 09:38:42 »
Wow, that is beautifully made!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 10:21:11 »
im gonna go with nice
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 11:03:47 »
I think we've found the winner for Keyboard of the Year :eek:

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 11:17:12 »

You're not even going to try? I think you should try...  :p

Great build log, Pemdas! Kinda hoped some of the build logs would show the gasket, but I guess I can wait for mine.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 11:33:22 »
oh damnnnnnnnnnnn
I love Elzy

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 11:39:34 »
Wow.
Beautiful shots and build. Great job and also congrats to riotonthebay for such a gorgeous board and well-handled  buy.  Jealous!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 12:53:30 »

Great build log, Pemdas! Kinda hoped some of the build logs would show the gasket, but I guess I can wait for mine.

But you can see the gasket pads in some photos clearly* (at least most of them) and get the idea about how it works.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 14:08:17 »

But you can see the gasket pads in some photos clearly* (at least most of them) and get the idea about how it works.

Ah silly me, I thought it would look a little like the 360mini mounting, but yes, I'm familiar with the old Keycult No.1TKL mounting and now see the gaskets thanks to your help!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 14:44:13 »
Stunning board, beautiful work by riot.
Looking forward to following this thread. :thumb:

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 14:49:26 »
Ah silly me, I thought it would look a little like the 360mini mounting, but yes, I'm familiar with the old Keycult No.1TKL mounting and now see the gaskets thanks to your help!

Here's a cross-section of a board so that you can see how the gaskets isolate the plate from the case.

In my excitement to get these boards out, I definitely didn't put as much attention as I should have into explaining the case internals. I'll do better on that one next time. I do really appreciate how many people are noticing the details though, as I tried to put a lot of thought into the board. =)

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 18:03:30 »
Dank, makes me wish I had a No 1 / 60.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 21:21:16 »
Defo should be included in this month's Keyboard of the Month 👌

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 21:56:59 »
Defo should be included in this month's Keyboard of the Month 👌

I agree ^^^^

This looks so good. I love how simple and elegant it is. Congrats on the win and thanks for the build log  :thumb:

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 22:51:52 »
damn I had no idea this board was so intricate. thanks for sharing man! now I know what I missed out on.

Offline hippiepete

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 15:46:10 »
what a beauty! riot has killed it and you with the combos  :thumb:

Offline yuppie

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 11:17:20 »
Pemdas, excellent log. This is the exact configuration I'd have done myself.

What can you tell us about the typing experience? Is there a noticeable difference between gasket and tray/top mount boards?
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Pemdas

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 16:05:07 »

What can you tell us about the typing experience? Is there a noticeable difference between gasket and tray/top mount boards?

I'm loving the feel and it does feel vastly different from any of the other boards I have in my collection.

BUT, for total disclosure, this is my first time using Helios. So I'm not sure if it's the Helios or gasket (or a combination) that is so drastically changing the feels of the board.

I'm going to be building another board here with Healios once the pink ones ship and if I can get my hands on one of the extra pcbs for the 1/65 I'll be building one up with regular linears, so I'll be able to report back with a better answer :thumb:

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 12:11:02 »

I'm loving the feel and it does feel vastly different from any of the other boards I have in my collection.

BUT, for total disclosure, this is my first time using Helios. So I'm not sure if it's the Helios or gasket (or a combination) that is so drastically changing the feels of the board.

I'm going to be building another board here with Healios once the pink ones ship and if I can get my hands on one of the extra pcbs for the 1/65 I'll be building one up with regular linears, so I'll be able to report back with a better answer :thumb:

I'm going to be putting healios in my brass 1/60. great minds i reckon.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 19:57:31 »
I haven't tried Healios yet, but was going with retooled blacks. Are Healios significantly better? I'm tempted Especially if their colour matches the Copper PCB like might happen in the current valentine's GB.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 20:00:53 »
Great pics and build log, thanks for sharing!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 20:12:43 »
Great pics and build log, thanks for sharing!

Agreed! :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 05:36:10 »

From my experience with Silent Blacks on a brass plate no.1, I'd say it's probably the Helios. The dampeners affect the feeling of the switch in a major way, the gasket not so much.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 07:06:00 »
From my experience with Silent Blacks on a brass plate no.1, I'd say it's probably the Helios. The dampeners affect the feeling of the switch in a major way, the gasket not so much.

I agree that the Helios are likely playing a majority part in the feel, but the gaskets here should be playing a larger part than they do with the original No. 1. Those gaskets were just to help the sandwich, whereas No. 1/60/65 gaskets are twice as thick, made from a vibration damping polyurethane foam instead of silicone, and are the only thing the plate/PCB assembly comes in contact with on both sides.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 07:25:57 »

I agree that the Helios are likely playing a majority part in the feel, but the gaskets here should be playing a larger part than they do with the original No. 1. Those gaskets were just to help the sandwich, whereas No. 1/60/65 gaskets are twice as thick, made from a vibration damping polyurethane foam instead of silicone, and are the only thing the plate/PCB assembly comes in contact with on both sides.
Oh wow, TIL. That's very cool, thanks for the explanation! Now I really want to try one of these...
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150