Author Topic: Small Keyboard Expo we had at work the other day  (Read 3507 times)

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
Small Keyboard Expo we had at work the other day
« on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 22:34:41 »
We had a little keyboard expo at work for people who wanted to try out a mechanical board.

Attached is a pic of the featured keyboards.

We had:
WASD Code with MX Clears
Matais Quiet Pro
IBM Model M -- 1984
Choc Mini MX Black
QRF MX Green
Poker II MX Blue
PLU-ML Ergo Clears
Filco Tenkey Pad MX Browns
HHKB Lite
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Small Keyboard Expo we had at work the other day
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 22:43:27 »
That's a brilliant idea!

Was anyone sold on any of the keyboards?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 22:45:10 »
how many people in your office brought the keyboards? i wish more ppl i knew like mech keyboards :(

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 22:50:21 »
how many people in your office brought the keyboards? i wish more ppl i knew like mech keyboards :(

Just me and one other co-worker -- do you recognize the board you traded me there!?

That's a brilliant idea!

Was anyone sold on any of the keyboards?

Thanks man, yeah two people I know in the office have bought keyboards as a result.

It was just a fun little thing we did and I think other people really enjoyed it. I think buying a keyboard that is $100+ can seem a bit much, so we just tried to give people the oppertunity to see what they would potentially be paying for and offer our insights.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 22:50:35 »
How did they rank?
SSKs for everyone!

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 22:55:52 »
How did they rank?

Most people were into the MX Blues, which I find weird because I dont much care for them. There was also a good amount of interest in the Clears and Blacks. Surprisingly no one was really interested in the Model M, which is one of my favorite keyboards.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 23:00:32 »
I like blues better than the other MXs you mentioned (personal preference of course.) Maybe they based their choices on appearance as well. The M looks old and dated. You know the dreaded beige box look of the 80's and 90's. I'm guessing they aren't techies.

Edit: or they are old school techies.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 23:11:09 »
I like blues better than the other MXs you mentioned (personal preference of course.) Maybe they based their choices on appearance as well. The M looks old and dated. You know the dreaded beige box look of the 80's and 90's. I'm guessing they aren't techies.

Edit: or they are old school techies.

I work as a sysadmin and pretty much every person at there was a developer, so I was surprised there was no love for the Model M, but yeah, it might have been the fact that it was old and dusty lol.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 23:17:52 »
If they are over 30 (which I am) and in CS/IT that makes sense. The old beige stuff is a major turn off to most people who used them when they were contemporary. And spending over $20 for a keyboard seems ridiculous as well. I don't know what made me change my tune but I did.

That's really cool that you are trying to enlighten them. If anyone needs it they do!
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 23:39:24 »

Just me and one other co-worker -- do you recognize the board you traded me there!?

Yes! The blue case is too noticeable :)