Author Topic: Can't decide..  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Mysteric

• Formerly 'Mackem'
Can't decide..
« on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 18:34:28 »
So, once WASD gets full custom ISO layout, I'm gonna order a custom set of keycaps. I'm definitely getting white keys but I'm not sure about blank, engraved or lasered. I'm not amazing at typing and often make typing mistakes when not looking at the keyboard, but I want to learn to type and engraved/blank keys look sooo sweet, but I keep thinking 'what if I get blank keycaps and my typing gets worse?'. I am slightly leaning towards engraved but any opinions/personal experiences would be great.

Offline keyboardnoob

Can't decide..
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 21:29:13 »
I'm using blank keys, but I'll be investing in some pbt white engraved key caps for my filco

http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/pbt-key-caps/104-pbt-white-engraved-key-cap/lid=19240211.

Also, I'd advise you to get engraved over blank if you still have trouble finding keys on your keyboard and they look very sexy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2012, 21:31:15 by keyboardnoob »
Filco MJ1 TKL MX Brown

Offline Mysteric

• Formerly 'Mackem'
Can't decide..
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 10:50:32 »
I was favouring engraved, but now it's whether to get black on black for that sleek 'all black' look or whether to get white keycaps on black for that contrast. White on black was my initial thought but man, black on black looks so sweet.

Offline emptythecache

• out.
Can't decide..
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 19:51:26 »
I just sold my blank set. I was fine with them for muscle memory touch typing, but if I had to find specific keys (like in passwords, in the number row, or finding a key on the right side of the board while playing a game), I struggled. I accidentally locked my bank account by ****ing up the password five times in a row. Overall I was sort of getting by, but it legitimately made me enjoy my keyboard just a little bit less. Now I'm using side printed white pbt caps from the same link keyboardnoob posted. they look sexy and are still easy to use. Just my two cents.

Offline jellowiggler

Can't decide..
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 01:51:21 »
I'm facing a similar choice.  Side print, or engraved? hmmm....
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline Atenacius

Can't decide..
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 09:38:50 »
IMO that sharp contrast of a doubleshot white on black is the best look. It's got that German Leica quality to it that says built like a tank.

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Can't decide..
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 10:10:34 »
Quote from: Atenacius;497569
IMO that sharp contrast of a doubleshot white on black is the best look. It's got that German Leica quality to it that says built like a tank.

Unless its made by SP, then it has "Don't blow air on it, or risk it breaking into 1000 peices." written all over it.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Atenacius

Can't decide..
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 15:19:11 »
Quote from: hazeluff;497587
Unless its made by SP, then it has "Don't blow air on it, or risk it breaking into 1000 peices." written all over it.

Yeah, I definitely only meant original Cherry doubleshots. They're thick and made to last. It's a shame that it costs at least $80 to get a set now. There were POS boards all over ebay for $40-50 just last summer

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Can't decide..
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 15:37:34 »
It depends... You need to know that people on ebay post **** incorrectly in wrong category, don't include model numbers etc. I almost got a brand new g80-8113HPBUS a few weeks ago, but got outbid at the very last possible second with an end price of $37. You can still find 11900 or 1800 lately with doubleshots for pretty cheap, or various g81s.

Cherry keys are the **** for sure. Too bad only a very few models were made with 1.25 modifers and centered caps lock in doubleshots, and they are so much harder to find.

To OP, if you want to improve typing blanks can be helpful. Otherwise it's all for looks, so just get whatever you like most.