Author Topic: [GB] SA Retro [Closed]  (Read 527997 times)

Offline Zeromachina

Re: [GB] SA Retro
« Reply #1100 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 02:25:59 »
And on a completely non-problematic note, the set seems to have hit australia!
so after a quick keyboard and desk clean i'm going to remove my dolch and try the set that started me lurking here. (i missed the last retro drop by a few days)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1101 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 02:42:08 »
- This is a community effort. This thread is the official page. ctrlalt is not making money out of this. Actually Bunny put his own wallet to make some kits tip
- The first post clearly tells you that shift keys are in row-3, but I did that just as a courtesy, because that's how SP sell all their SA family keycap sets
- If any of you is not satisfied by the final product I'm sure we can find a solution but keep in mind this is not a business, we do know have a margin, we do not have a "customer care", you are just relying on other community members' time and money
- As soon as SP will release the shift keys in R4 (if ever) I'll run a mini GB just for them

Offline pkircher

« Reply #1102 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 03:04:06 »
- As soon as SP will release the shift keys in R4 (if ever) I'll run a mini GB just for them

hah that be amazing .. anyway do we know if cody shipped all orders out or are there still some pending ?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1103 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 04:59:09 »
- This is a community effort. This thread is the official page. ctrlalt is not making money out of this. Actually Bunny put his own wallet to make some kits tip
- The first post clearly tells you that shift keys are in row-3, but I did that just as a courtesy, because that's how SP sell all their SA family keycap sets
- If any of you is not satisfied by the final product I'm sure we can find a solution but keep in mind this is not a business, we do know have a margin, we do not have a "customer care", you are just relying on other community members' time and money

Matt3o very few people ever read the front page it's all about the pitchforks and flames that has to spread here on GH central.

All it takes is just one person to ask some stupid question then it becomes FACT and low and behold suddenly it becomes an outright Salem Witchhunt  ;) .

For me personally the R3 profile is fine for typing fast on these little beasties, so either get use to it or go back to ordering all R3 key-sets.

Offline flamf

« Reply #1104 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 05:02:14 »

hah that be amazing .. anyway do we know if cody shipped all orders out or are there still some pending ?

Mine's still pending.

Offline flamf

« Reply #1105 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 05:04:06 »
I'm checking for shipping notice several times  daily :p

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #1106 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 05:08:12 »
The only thing I don't get about the R4-shift is why the designers make the set with a layout where the shift keys are a different profile than the other keys on the row. Why not just go with the flow and make the shift keys fit in?

If we knew that we could get new shift-keys in say January, or even May, I'd say go with the original plan and replace the shift keys, but SP is mum, so...

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1107 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 05:52:30 »
bam!

The only thing I don't get about the R4-shift is why the designers make the set with a layout where the shift keys are a different profile than the other keys on the row. Why not just go with the flow and make the shift keys fit in?

SA family was originally Row-3 only. SP and the community added row profiles over the years. The shift keys are still missing.

Offline pkircher

« Reply #1108 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 06:18:13 »
haha told you yours be earlyer then mine :P looks great

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #1109 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 07:00:54 »
Damn! Another petscii on a small board! Hope there are extras!

Offline pkircher

« Reply #1110 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 07:11:41 »
petscii looks amazing .. just a quick question for the colemak / dvorak users out there .. how many of you got the petscii and would join a mini groupbuy for petscii - colemak/dvorak .. i guess the min moq with sp is 25 ( waiting on confirmation from matteo )

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #1111 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 07:12:19 »
bam!

Show Image

SA family was originally Row-3 only. SP and the community added row profiles over the years. The shift keys are still missing.
No, I mean why isn't the entire row R3?

Offline blastoid

« Reply #1112 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 07:24:30 »
bam!

Show Image

The row profile is up to the set designer. It's kinda odd, but OEM/DCS/Cherry have their profile pretty much set, but SA only has 4 profiles (and really only 3 if you consider that R2 and R4 are just flipped) to fill 6 rows. Some designers go with an all-flat 3-3-3-3-3-3, Matteo went with a "full sculpt" of 1-1-2-3-4-4. I also just got my Modern Selectric set, which is 3-1-2-3-4-3. I suppose you could make the Shift row flat as well, and do something like 1-1-2-3-3-3. That sounds familiar, actually, was Penumbra run that way?

Offline blastoid

« Reply #1113 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 07:26:19 »
bam!

Show Image

Really? I didn't know this. Seems odd, as SS was already there, and without having seen or tried it, seems like it would be the better profile.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1114 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 11:17:11 »
got my set today

thanks matteo and [CTRL]ALT
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1115 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 13:18:14 »
Still waiting for shipping notification (chomping at the bit here, lol)

Offline Dog

• Bark
« Reply #1116 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 13:19:42 »
Mine's still pending.

Mine is pending still as well. They should still be going out.

Offline blastoid

« Reply #1117 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 13:24:40 »
According to this reddit thread, Modern Selectric also got the 2x R3 backspace with Colemak and SP is correcting it. Has anyone contacted them about SA Retro?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1118 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 14:54:08 »
bam!

Show Image

The row profile is up to the set designer. It's kinda odd, but OEM/DCS/Cherry have their profile pretty much set, but SA only has 4 profiles (and really only 3 if you consider that R2 and R4 are just flipped) to fill 6 rows. Some designers go with an all-flat 3-3-3-3-3-3, Matteo went with a "full sculpt" of 1-1-2-3-4-4. I also just got my Modern Selectric set, which is 3-1-2-3-4-3. I suppose you could make the Shift row flat as well, and do something like 1-1-2-3-3-3. That sounds familiar, actually, was Penumbra run that way?

Penumbra as the best set of profile angles for a set that's "making do". It's 1-2-3-3-3-4. So the F-keys are Row 1, numbers are Row 2, all the alpha rows are Row 3, bottom row is Row 4 except spacebar. It works well enough, but it's nicer to type on properly sculptured alphas.

The Row 4 Shifts are the last caps needed to make sculptured SA have the same row numbers as DCS and Cherry sets, 1-1-2-3-4-4.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline TheCowGod

« Reply #1119 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 15:17:54 »
BTW, apropos of nothing, now that I've gotten a few days of typing in on these fully sculptured SA keys, can I just say how amazing they are? It's my first SA set -- before this I had been using the DSA eve set, and before that always just DCS etc. These SA Retro keys are by far my favorite profile. The heft of the keys have a good sense of momentum, the spherical tops really cup your fingers pleasingly (particularly the deeper F and J), and the smooth finish feels so nice. Once I tracked down the EVE set, I considered stopping there, but I'm really glad I also decided to participate in this GB. Now if only I'd gotten the PETSCIIs :)

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1120 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 17:52:53 »
Ahhh so happy opening these boxes! Setup pics to come later.

Sneaky preview of my new Noko wrist rest
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 September 2015, 19:01:28 by nathanrosspowell »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1121 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 18:42:11 »

awesome sir

hope you like em, any issues just lemme know

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1122 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 18:51:40 »

awesome sir

Thanks man! Tiny issue, I got a True numpad instead of True pro mods. I already PM'd Cody about it :)

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1123 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 19:16:08 »

awesome sir

Thanks man! Tiny issue, I got a True numpad instead of True pro mods. I already PM'd Cody about it :)

he doesnt get on his pms much so ill also let him know via skype when i talk to him tomorrow

sorry about that sir we will get it sorted for you

Offline PicklesKill

« Reply #1124 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 20:24:54 »
Well I will never go back after using these SA's.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1125 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 20:30:02 »
I'm having a keyboard frenzy right now! Without any delay, here is my custom sculpt Planck in full Retro sexyness!

Hand wired Planck in Grid layout with stock MX Clears.
Alphas : 2-3-4-4
Edges : 1-2-4-1
Space : Row 1

Thanks Matt3o, Cody, Bunny and everyone who supports [CTRL] ALT  :thumb:

Offline Data

« Reply #1126 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 21:18:25 »
Jesus, the Planck is so small!   :eek:

Looks good man.   :thumb:

Offline BlueSebba

« Reply #1127 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 01:33:17 »
Anyone else who bought the International DE-NO-SE set have the misprinted colon/period?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1128 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 01:45:39 »
Cody is a legend! This is the fastest I've received a set from a GB! Got mine in yesterday and checked out the caps. The PETSCII's are awesome (the front pad print is very sharp and "crisp", lovely) and the lime highlight caps really complete the set. It looks fantastic on a 60% especially, very similar to the original. I need to make a beige case for these :)

Unfortunately:
Anyone else who bought the International DE-NO-SE set have the misprinted colon/period?

Yup... I join the group of people suffering from inverted colon. It looks like SP just put the first shot mold in upside down when making these. On the bright side, perhaps these will become something of a "special" rare, collectible cap... like misprinted stamps or something...

Well I will never go back after using these SA's.

Muahaha! Another convert! Yes...
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1129 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 02:22:22 »

Unfortunately:

Yup... I join the group of people suffering from inverted colon. It looks like SP just put the first shot mold in upside down when making these. On the bright side, perhaps these will become something of a "special" rare, collectible cap... like misprinted stamps or something...

I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered. Mine will probably be misprinted as well. I however do not share the same enthusiasm. Not really interested in a "rare collectible cap". I want them all to be correctly printed. In my opinion SP should replace all the misprinted ones. So this is defiantly an issue I will address with the GB organizers.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1130 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 06:22:33 »

Unfortunately:

I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered. Mine will probably be misprinted as well. I however do not share the same enthusiasm. Not really interested in a "rare collectible cap". I want them all to be correctly printed. In my opinion SP should replace all the misprinted ones. So this is defiantly an issue I will address with the GB organizers.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't mean I'll be happy to just use the wrong cap. I definitely want the fixed version and SP should make them and send them out, I was just speculating that the cap could become a collectible item, more out of humour than being serious.

@nrp: That Planck looks spectacular! Beautiful use of the profiles.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1131 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 06:49:38 »

Unfortunately:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't mean I'll be happy to just use the wrong cap. I definitely want the fixed version and SP should make them and send them out, I was just speculating that the cap could become a collectible item, more out of humour than being serious.

@nrp: That Planck looks spectacular! Beautiful use of the profiles.

Aha, I guess I have no humour then...  ;)

Offline flamf

« Reply #1132 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 11:22:15 »

I work in health care and I think it's hilarious. I don't think I'll ever use the correct key when it's eventually made. Inverted colon and proud of it. I might start a support group ;)

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #1133 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 13:10:53 »
After 13 days of monitoring usps, finally got my retro and HF. This is far way better in person than any posted pics. Typing on my Filco Minila now with a proper spacebar!

Thanks Bunny, Cody and Matteo. Also thank you for the stickers and keychain!!!

Offline techmattr

« Reply #1134 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:00:28 »
After 13 days of monitoring usps, finally got my retro and HF. This is far way better in person than any posted pics. Typing on my Filco Minila now with a proper spacebar!

No pics? I'm excited to finally have a keyset for my Minila Air. Can't wait to get it in my hands.

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #1135 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:06:11 »

No pics? I'm excited to finally have a keyset for my Minila Air. Can't wait to get it in my hands.

Nah. 3am here in Singapore so most likely tom. But they look great man.

Offline Baxter

• They do not know it, but they are doing it.
    • http://www.darklightweb.co.uk
« Reply #1136 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 17:27:49 »
I'm having a keyboard frenzy right now! Without any delay, here is my custom sculpt Planck in full Retro sexyness!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That is a beautiful solution for the grid style planck, really liking the thumb facing keyfaces for the bottom row.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1137 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 18:27:03 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That is a beautiful solution for the grid style planck, really liking the thumb facing keyfaces for the bottom row.

Thanks! The Row 1 on the lower corners was too much for my big hands, I could press the switches with my palms.

Updated it a bit, now with 100% less embarrassing key placement errors

Offline potatowire

« Reply #1138 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 22:14:49 »
Setup my NovaTouch with a more colorful variation.

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #1139 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 22:16:55 »
Took some quick shot today.  ;D

111796-0

111798-1

Offline The Nude Wizard

« Reply #1140 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 23:52:09 »
Didn't get a shipping notification, but they arrived today just as I got home which was a nice surprise.

They really are stunning, I couldn't be happier with them... Thanks Matteo and [CTRL]ALT

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1141 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 00:46:23 »

Show Image

honestly... I don't know why... but I like it...

Offline 66klaus

« Reply #1142 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 01:18:09 »
My set was sent from San Francisco to Europe London. I am from Germany. But now, it has been sent back from Europe to San Francisco.  :eek:

Offline potatowire

« Reply #1143 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 05:16:54 »

Show Image

honestly... I don't know why... but I like it...
I don't know why I like it either, but experimenting is the benefit of buying multiples of everything. You'll note this unconventional design was not blessed with PETSCII,  and the correct SA Retro is True Retro with PETSCII!

Thank you for the great design, Matt3o. Pictures can really never do it justice.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #1144 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 05:52:03 »
No true scotsman would lack PETSCII!

Offline Jimmy54669

« Reply #1145 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 06:36:52 »
My set was sent from San Francisco to Europe London. I am from Germany. But now, it has been sent back from Europe to San Francisco.  :eek:

Mine too....   I think it maybe misses something for Customs ?

Offline blastoid

« Reply #1146 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 07:34:39 »
petscii looks amazing .. just a quick question for the colemak / dvorak users out there .. how many of you got the petscii and would join a mini groupbuy for petscii - colemak/dvorak .. i guess the min moq with sp is 25 ( waiting on confirmation from matteo )

I'll go ahead and chime in to say that I actually wouldn't be interested in joining that GB. I have True Retro with the Dvor/mak keys and PETSCII, and to me it's one or the other. Having the Dvorak keys with the PETSCII labels would seem odd to me.

Now...... I'd totally be in if you wanted to run a buy for an extra set of just mods so those of us with PETSCII had enough keys to fill out a second board (maybe even limited to 60%)

Offline frekedech

« Reply #1147 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 08:43:02 »
Hey everyone, This is my first time joining GB with CTRL.ALT.
My order is #299139,

I'm just curious if there's anyone with a higher order # (e.g #299140, 141 and so on) has received the keycaps?
Bitten by keycaps bug!

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1148 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 08:46:00 »
My order is #299139,

I'm just curious if there's anyone with a higher order # (e.g #299140, 141 and so on) has received the keycaps?

its not done via order number

cody is however working through orders

he did a huge amount of packing last night

and to finish this gb there is only 1, maybe 2 more sessions work

you will get a shipping notification once your order ships

Offline frekedech

« Reply #1149 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 08:54:23 »
My order is #299139,

its not done via order number

cody is however working through orders

he did a huge amount of packing last night

and to finish this gb there is only 1, maybe 2 more sessions work

you will get a shipping notification once your order ships

Cool! Thanks for the clarification Bunny.
The more I see the pics posted here, the more anxious (or excited rather) I get. :p

Cody must have been very busy now as I'm still waiting for his reply of my address changes. But well, It seems like it can be done on ctrltalt.io now. Cheers!
Bitten by keycaps bug!