Author Topic: Hello, geekhackers!  (Read 2871 times)

Offline TheHeartographer

• The Heartographer (online dating advice)
Hello, geekhackers!
« on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 14:11:18 »
I'm Virginia, an online dating coach in Seattle. I quit my tech industry testing jobs to take my business full time, and I work from home at a GeekDesk where I both sit and stand. I have supercrazybad tennis elbow in both arms, ironically from an injury sustained at the only non-desk job I've ever had as an adult. Hooray!

As such, my office is a bit of an ergonomics bastion. I currently rock an Evoluent mouse, a custom ISE keyboard/mouse tray, the aforementioned GeekDesk, an ESI dual monitor arm (for a 13" rMBP and a fugly cheap display), and a wellnessmat designed for kitchen usage. My chair, when I sit, is a bunch of BS, so I'm looking to probably purchase a HAG Capisco at some affluent point.

I've been desperate for a proper keyboard for ages! Amazon was going to pay for one when I still worked there, but alas, I do not. I'm reluctantly using some old MS Curve Whatever, but I need to buy something better with no num pad soon. Probably going to spring for the Truly Ergonomic, because so many other deeply ergo keyboards don't sport mechanical switches and I'd really like those. I've tried out a LOT of ergonomic gear and tricks in my life, but so far the GeekDesk and the Metolius Grip Saver have been my most helpful purchases.

Anyway, < / boring egro intro>. Hello! Glad I found you guys!
Online dating coach by day; keyboard enthusiast by ALL OF THE TIME ALWAYS. Severe tendinitis brought me here. Hello!

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
Re: Hello, geekhackers!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 14:15:46 »
Welcome to geekhack! :)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 14:21:13 »
Welcome!  Working with a bad case of tennis elbow myself, and putting together an ErgoDox to try as a daily driver.

I lived for two years in Seattle, and 13 years in Portland; miss the NW every day.   :'(

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 16:26:54 »
Welcome to GH!

Don't forget that the Topre Realforce 87U ergonomic variable weighted keyboard is also an option for RSI.  I can't say it's better than an ergodox, but it's easier to get.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline danj

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 18:58:59 »
I'm Virginia, an online dating coach in Seattle.

...Of Quit! fame? Man, you're everywhere. :)

Offline TheHeartographer

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 17:04:01 »
Ha! That's way too funny. Yes. of QUIT fame. And of forum failure—I haven't regularly used a forum since the early 2000s, so I didn't even see all the replies until today. Hello and thanks for the advice!
Online dating coach by day; keyboard enthusiast by ALL OF THE TIME ALWAYS. Severe tendinitis brought me here. Hello!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:00:49 »
Welcome to GH. You should have some potential clients around here.  :thumb:

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:03:36 »
Welcome to Geek Hack, and enjoy your time here! :D

Offline kyocoin

• Bitcoin ATM
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:40:32 »
Hello Geekhachker,

It's my first day on Geekhackers, and already feeling warm just by reading your posts. Hope to get friendly with you guys :)

Kyo Nakamura

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 10:52:12 »
Hello Geekhachker,

It's my first day on Geekhackers, and already feeling warm just by reading your posts. Hope to get friendly with you guys :)

Kyo Nakamura

Welcome to GH also.

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 15:24:17 »
Welcome!  I just got a Truly Ergonomic and it's awesome.  Good luck on your search.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 13:29:17 »
Welcome to GH(I know its been a while)! Have you purchased the chair?. I used the capisco in my previous job, it is great chair!
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline TheHeartographer

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 18:31:33 »
Hey blackbox! I haven't yet, but I plan to when I have more funds for my business—I've been spending more than I'm making lately on keyboards and other office improvements, heh. Gotta give it a few months!

I actually saw one of the Capisco chairs at the reception desk at The Omni Group here in Seattle—I was there for a nighttime event in their theater room, but I almost wanted to sneak behind the desk and try it out again just to remind myself how it feels, haha. I just didn't want them to sound the alarm or anything.

Offline ericbarbwire

• WellnessMats
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 April 2022, 15:55:55 »
I know this topic is a little bit old. But it's awesome that you used your https://www.wellnessmats.com/ kitchen mat into your workspace. they make some great anti-fatigue mats. I would also recommend looking into the standing desk mats that they have just recently launched! Great support at the work station in my opinion.