Author Topic: [IC] Karbon/65  (Read 19695 times)

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
Re: [IC] Karbon/65
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 17:52:11 »
Look man, while the idea of giving you–a first-timer GB runner with zero experience or credential–465 bucks is pretty damn crazy--

Didn't people pay more than this to join the Iron165 GB, given a similar situation (aside from the issues raised about a collaborator)?
S+R have both been prominent community members before they launched their IC, and eventually their group buy.

Offline illusixn

• Formerly illusixn
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 18:45:05 »
A big difference is that the Iron165 guys spent a lot of time IC'ing their product and making themselves part of the community.

Also, while they could be lying, they also talked about their qualifications and experience.

Both Vox and Lbaron have practical experience with this from their jobs iirc, plus they were sharing/teasing things for quite a while before it went public. It never felt like it was rushed out the door just to get the GB started, and they were always very professional about everything. So imo it feels pretty different than this.

GLWGB on the Karbon though.

S+R have both been prominent community members before they launched their IC, and eventually their group buy.
Oh ok. Never really looked into the IC/GB, but remembered reading some similar comments pertaining to first GB run/pricing/credibility when it first came out across various Discords and Reddit.

Anyway, GLW IC and whatever else, OP. Whoever you are, it seems you have an interesting concept; If you can manage clear up any of the issues that have been brought up in the thread, I think you'll be able to have a successful first run.

Offline phabulous

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 21:03:28 »

And please, explain to me how aligning yourself with someone who took $14,000 in payment, got it locked up, and then planned to run a GB concurrent with her financial situation (and only realized how bad that looks when the community took to sharing how they feel in the Cygnus thread) doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth while this does.

Probably because he stood to get paid on the one hand (doing work for keylace + cygnus buys), and stands not to get paid on the other (this IC not reaching GB).

Funny how one's own personal gain can color one's views on certain conduct.

Offline Cruxx_.

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 00:16:47 »
Alright, here's my take on it.

There's a strong distaste for PheonixStarr's work, whatever quality it might be. I commissioned her services some time before her Keylace fiasco, but it seems even then, none of you like the idea that she's worked on it. Pushing onwards, I felt that it would have been deceptive if I didn't explicitly mention her involvement. Nevertheless, I'm very sorry for getting this IC off on a bad, bad note. Moving forward, I've decided to scrap what work we've started together and hunt for a new PCB designer. I want to get this keyboard GB off the ground, and if this is what I have to do, it'll be done.

As for the renders, they'll be shortly replaced by prototype photos (whenever it is they arrive).

Offline phabulous

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 00:55:44 »
Alright, here's my take on it.

There's a strong distaste for PheonixStarr's work, whatever quality it might be. I commissioned her services some time before her Keylace fiasco, but it seems even then, none of you like the idea that she's worked on it. Pushing onwards, I felt that it would have been deceptive if I didn't explicitly mention her involvement. Nevertheless, I'm very sorry for getting this IC off on a bad, bad note. Moving forward, I've decided to scrap what work we've started together and hunt for a new PCB designer. I want to get this keyboard GB off the ground, and if this is what I have to do, it'll be done.

As for the renders, they'll be shortly replaced by prototype photos (whenever it is they arrive).

You're missing the point entirely.

No one has a distaste of PheonixStarr's work. From what I can see, the designs and renders are good.

What people have, is a distaste for her ethics and business practices.

As someone who has essentially worked for her business, and essentially learned from her, the microscope is now firmly fixed on your ethics and business practices. Your judgment is also under the microscope by aligning yourself with her.

Your profile on keylace (which presumably you wrote) said you were involved in design and logistics, but now you say it's only spreadsheets and data entry, so you've completely resiled from that previous claim. Not to mention you've practically thrown PheonixStarr under the bus in this thread, despite her obviously mentoring you in some respects and providing work for your board.

No one's crapping on your board. But the decision-making on display here is extremely suspect.

From someone whose account is 20 days old, whose only connection to the community is to a member who recently showed themselves incapable of responsibly handling a GB, and who no one really knows, you're going to have to do a bit more than say "just trust me" when you're asking people to fork over $500.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 02:27:17 »
My advice: if you want to run a GB, then be part of the community first. Presumably you’ve been either on Reddit or GH or Discord or DT or whatever...right? I’d be surprised if you’ve literally lurked the whole time.

And if you really have lurked, then come out of the shadows and be part of the community first before asking strangers on the internet to send you $450.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 03:34:42 »
come out of the shadows and be part of the community first before asking strangers on the internet to send you $450.

Give me 450 bucks
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Cruxx_.

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 04:05:34 »
Your profile on keylace (which presumably you wrote) said you were involved in design and logistics, but now you say it's only spreadsheets and data entry, so you've completely resiled from that previous claim. Not to mention you've practically thrown PheonixStarr under the bus in this thread, despite her obviously mentoring you in some respects and providing work for your board.

No one's crapping on your board. But the decision-making on display here is extremely suspect.

From someone whose account is 20 days old, whose only connection to the community is to a member who recently showed themselves incapable of responsibly handling a GB, and who no one really knows, you're going to have to do a bit more than say "just trust me" when you're asking people to fork over $500.

Alright, fair points indeed. On the topic of the profile—I was supposed to get involved in the design and logistics, but obviously Keylace never went that far. That's my bad for wording it like that in the bio. I understand what you mean about the trustworthiness and age now. I'll be around in the social circles a bit more, in that case.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 04:24:46 »
come out of the shadows and be part of the community first before asking strangers on the internet to send you $450.

Give me 450 bucks
You know, I think we can trust this guy... after all its the season for giving.

Offline SUB01

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 05:13:47 »
Please can we get over this drama? People make mistakes, and eventually the community must forgive them so that we can move on. People deserve second chances. I don't want this thread also getting locked up like Olivia++. Perhaps a more productive discussion would be about how we can resolve this trust issue while paying the GB runner to get it made.

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 05:26:24 »
I think both sides have spoken on the matter.. And regardless, it is just a GB. Although 450 for a keeb isn't loose change, I guess it ppl love the design well enuff to warrant taking a risk, then let's wish the threadstarter luck in the GB and take our money elsewhere... This is just a hobby we all enjoy out of enjoyment anyways... Besides even alot of Kickstarter or indie gogo also have tons of fail delivery, as long as the intention was never to scam the money, even if it falls through I guess it is much part of the game of joining GB.

Goodluck cruxxx

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 11:38:15 »
Gondolindrim makes PCBs. And he stated his service fee apparently -- $450....am I reading things wrong? Probably. But I'm really really tired.
I think you should do some leg work for 12 boards. This doesn't have to be a public GB. 12 boards -- you can easily find people with whom you can establish a trusting relationship, deliver their keyboards satisfactorily, then hit the community with some backup.
That's probably your best bet. And you can leave this IC behind.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 12:01:16 »
Gondolindrim makes PCBs. And he stated his service fee apparently -- $450.

For 450 dollars I'll design you anything from a nuclear submarine to a modern building
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 December 2019, 12:30:15 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline farmisen

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 10:26:35 »

For 450 dollars I'll design you anything from a nuclear submarine to a modern building
Not in the same industry but I have learned the hard way to never work anymore for a fixed fee. However if it works for you I might take you at your word.

As for the OP  everyone ****s up at some point and most of the time it comes more from lack of experience rather than disingenuity and however this ends up I hope it will have some positive outcome, whatever it is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 December 2019, 10:53:46 by farmisen »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 20:03:11 »

Not in the same industry but I have learned the hard way to never work anymore for a fixed fee. However if it works for you I might take you at your word.

That is honest good advice