Author Topic: Sensel Morph on Kickstarter  (Read 3317 times)

Offline JackMills

Sensel Morph on Kickstarter
« on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 06:53:49 »
I couldn't find a topic about this device, so here it goes.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1152958674/the-sensel-morph-interaction-evolved

The first pressure-sensitive, multi-touch input device that enables users to interact with the digital world like never before

It looks very promising.
Are there geekhackers backing this project already and what are you planning to use it for? It seems a bit excessive to use as a mouse by moving a pen over the surface. 

Offline tofgerl

Re: Sensel Morph on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 06:59:07 »
Very interesting. Long lead time, but I suspect it's a lot more honest and accurate than most products which will end up having the same lead time.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 07:09:00 »
I read an article about them before they launched their kickstarter somewhere. Unlike most kickstarter compaigns, I believe they've already done all their research on sourcing materials and manufacturing when they had their prototypes made. So they've already overcome most of the delays or issues that prevent the kickstarter from completing.

Most kickstarts are there to fund creating the product, sometimes from scratch as all they have are design concepts. This one as I recall is here to fund pre-orders, as the device is already more or less finalized.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline JackMills

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 07:17:50 »
If they are already that far in the process it makes it even more interesting.

The product itself looks promising, you could design an overlay suited for your application. I could imagine a mouse/trackpad combined with a numpad and some controls for volume, scrolling.

Sadly I just gave to another kickstarter (totaly different thing) and so no more budget for this.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 02:00:49 »
Interesting. I like the concept and the technology behind this (and the Kickstarter campaign is well thought out and well presented, showing existing prototypes in action, etc), but I'm not convinced of the real-world applications. For each case they mention (in the "What can I use it for?" section) there is an existing device that does a better job (Wacom Cintiq/Intuos, Roland MIDI baords and Akai pad controllers, game controllers, with "making" they pass the burden of figuring out what it can be used for to the buyer and there are plenty of pressure-sensitive sensors that you can hook to an Arduino already, keyboard for an iPad... I can think of many I'd rather use ;), and again they shift the burden of figuring out a practical use for it to the developer with the last one on their list) and if you're really into any of those hobbies you'd have the better item. That may just be an indicator that I'm not in their target market, but as a geek who loves technology I wonder who their real target market is.

One they don't mention as a possible use is 3D object manipulation for designing, but for that there are the 3DConexxion devices like the SpaceNavigator.

On the one hand I think it's great that the technology will be developed and some bright spark somewhere could figure out a good application for it in the future, but on the other hand I wonder what the point is of making a novelty like this.

I'd be very interested to hear what people would use theirs for, other than just a "cool doodad" with lots of "potential".
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Durvid

• Thunk thunk thunk..
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 02:07:06 »
I could see this being useful for artists, but beyond that, not a whole lot else. I agree that modern day art pads need more sensitivity though.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 02:22:18 »
Fair point... I think music and art is the primary purpose, but I also think you don't always need to have a purpose to invent something. If what you invent is good enough, what people use it for will be as big a surprise to the inventor as to anyone else.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 05:56:48 »
Fair point... I think music and art is the primary purpose, but I also think you don't always need to have a purpose to invent something. If what you invent is good enough, what people use it for will be as big a surprise to the inventor as to anyone else.

Very good point. Sometimes just having the tech available and known inspires new ideas, sometimes a person will have been trying to solve how to do X thing and suddenly a product comes along which allows them to. Anyway, ineterested to see how people will use this.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 12:25:49 »
I did think of one use for this technology... robot skin. Particularly for fingertip areas so they can attenuate each individual joint pressure.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.