Author Topic: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - 100% Shipped - Cleaning up  (Read 304626 times)

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - Accepting orders until December 1st
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 22:16:20 »
When do you think we can expect pictures of an anodized aluminum case?

I'm trying to see if we can get a pilot run together for anodization while still maintaining the timeline. Something that should've been worked out beforehand, but I still want to get it done nevertheless. Just keep an eye on this thread and I'll put a date or time up when I know.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline ctrl

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 08:16:29 »
Curious about the raw aluminum case with risers. Would it be suitable for powder coating later? Would the stainless steel plate be suitable for that too? (Because it would be nice with matching colors.)

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 00:46:05 »
Curious about the raw aluminum case with risers. Would it be suitable for powder coating later? Would the stainless steel plate be suitable for that too? (Because it would be nice with matching colors.)

The aluminum case should be fine to powdercoat as long as your careful and mask everything off (bottom of the risers, screw holes, pad recesses). The surface is exactly as it would be coming off of a CNC machine so depending on the powdercoat, you might or might not have to do some surface prep work.

The plate though would probably be more tricky depending on the powdercoat. If it's too thick of a layer, the switches won't fit into the cutouts.

Neat idea though. I was thinking about getting a white cerakote done on my product unit at some point. 
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline ctrl

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 01:20:00 »

The aluminum case should be fine to powdercoat as long as your careful and mask everything off (bottom of the risers, screw holes, pad recesses). The surface is exactly as it would be coming off of a CNC machine so depending on the powdercoat, you might or might not have to do some surface prep work.

The plate though would probably be more tricky depending on the powdercoat. If it's too thick of a layer, the switches won't fit into the cutouts.

Neat idea though. I was thinking about getting a white cerakote done on my product unit at some point.

Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have the time to check with local places regarding preparatory surface work before the drop ends. I really like the layout and the possible option of buying a raw case and then doing a custom finish is a very intriguing one. And one I haven't seen before.

It was precisely the option of a cerakote/powder coat in white/teal that attracted me to the raw option. :D

Will Southpaw make a comeback at a later point?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 05:57:36 »

Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have the time to check with local places regarding preparatory surface work before the drop ends. I really like the layout and the possible option of buying a raw case and then doing a custom finish is a very intriguing one. And one I haven't seen before.

It was precisely the option of a cerakote/powder coat in white/teal that attracted me to the raw option. :D

Will Southpaw make a comeback at a later point?

No clue yet as if I'll be bringing this project back, but I have something else planned once this is finished...

switchplate.co

Offline ctrl

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 11:11:45 »
No clue yet as if I'll be bringing this project back, but I have something else planned once this is finished...

Interesting! Might that include cerakote then perhaps?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 00:42:09 »

Interesting! Might that include cerakote then perhaps?

Possibily, though, at the moment, it's some words on paper and a really rough cad model. Cerakote is a more expensive finish when compared to anodization since things that fit or thread into each other need to be masked off in order for things to work well with each other which is why I didn't offer it for this GB.

switchplate.co

Offline under.pk

Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - FINAL DAY
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 05:05:07 »
Already Join, hope I can find plastic / acrylic case that can fit.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 14:00:29 »
so whats happening with the integrated case?  :'(

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 14:40:43 »
reconsiderit,
Sent you a message on this! Hopefully you get it before the order is placed

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 23:56:32 »
Damn I'm a day late!! Will there be extras?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #111 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 21:51:10 »
Damn I'm a day late!! Will there be extras?

There should be a handful of extras later on down the road. Not all colors and options will be available though.

switchplate.co

Offline KorbenDallas

Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - Organizing Production
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 05:05:42 »
No email for stainless steel plate, so I’m guessing it passed MOQ? Sure hope this is the case either way can’t wait for this board :thumb:

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 17:21:44 »
No email for stainless steel plate, so I’m guessing it passed MOQ? Sure hope this is the case either way can’t wait for this board :thumb:

Stainless steel plate is a go. Talked it over with manufacturing and they've said that they were willing to make just 20 of them since we have a fair amount of orders for the other items that they were producing. 

switchplate.co

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 11:54:08 »
Pretty stoked on this board to come :). It is going to be incredibly good for my job, where I only have to take my hand off the mouse to enter numbers. Now, I'll be able to left handed numpad + navigate the mouse :D

I'm going with 65g lubed gat blacks. How about everyone else?

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 22:56:48 »
Pretty stoked on this board to come :). It is going to be incredibly good for my job, where I only have to take my hand off the mouse to enter numbers. Now, I'll be able to left handed numpad + navigate the mouse :D

Think I'm going to try Kailh Box switches, probably the reds for the first time :)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 18:46:15 »

Think I'm going to try Kailh Box switches, probably the reds for the first time :)

Nicey nice :).

Stock? Once you lube, there's no returning to stock.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 21:53:26 »

eh, not sure how I feel about opening up that many box switches my switchtool sucks at opening these damn things  :))

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 05:29:26 »

eh, not sure how I feel about opening up that many box switches my switchtool sucks at opening these damn things  :))

It requires a technique. You get the hang of it after doing a couple. I gave up on using those tools and now use 2 mini screwdrivers on the underside.

I have done ergoclears & lubed linears now... on over 5 full keyboards :X

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 23:29:53 »

It requires a technique. You get the hang of it after doing a couple. I gave up on using those tools and now use 2 mini screwdrivers on the underside.

For the Kailh and Outemu switch tops... i will tell you the trick is thumb nails.  ;)
-Dana

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 17:10:08 »

For the Kailh and Outemu switch tops... i will tell you the trick is thumb nails.  ;)

something I have none of  :mad:

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 22:45:30 »
The aluminum case design was changed again due to issues with threading the aluminum. The front threads for the risers that were tapped into the case will be replaced by captive hardware since it is much more resistant to over-torquing and stripping. Additionally, the hardware is replaceable in the case that the threads are stripped.

switchplate.co

Offline Sylvestyeo

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 12:49:46 »
is this expected to delay shipping? *hope not!*

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 18:20:59 »
is this expected to delay shipping? *hope not!*

Luckily, this won't delay shipping. I'm getting the pilot/QC run next week which has a few differences from the production units so when I have those on hand, I'll grab some photos.

switchplate.co

Offline flyingalbatross1

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 09:31:24 »
Excited for this more than my XDA Godspeed!

What's the shipping estimate looking like at the moment?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 03:13:18 »
Excited for this more than my XDA Godspeed!

What's the shipping estimate looking like at the moment?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Shipping estimate looks to be at the earliest, end of this month if some miracle happens, but as far as production is looking, the laser cut steel stuff and the PCBs will be finished late this month, then shipped to me, so most likely early February. The aluminum cases will be finished a little later and if we don't run into any issues, those should be shipped to me right before the CNY week. 

switchplate.co

Offline Myth

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 23:29:05 »
Thanks for all the updates.  Can't wait for my board.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 January 2018, 08:55:33 by Myth »

Offline reconsiderit

Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - In Production. On Schedule.
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 23:45:47 »
Just Another little update if you haven't subscribed to the update emails or haven't checked the website, but things are moving along smoothly. Factory has finished the 5 cases of the QC batch and there were some issues with the hanging fixture being used in the anodization process so they've moved to a new fixture which should eliminate the issue. Apart from that, the CNC work has been finished on 30 of the 90 cases which are looking pretty good so far. We're just a mere month away from shipping these out so hang tight!

switchplate.co

Offline blue sky

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 05:31:35 »
Thanks for the update :)

Can't wait for it :)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 15:28:12 »
Just Another little update if you haven't subscribed to the update emails or haven't checked the website, but things are moving along smoothly. Factory has finished the 5 cases of the QC batch and there were some issues with the hanging fixture being used in the anodization process so they've moved to a new fixture which should eliminate the issue. Apart from that, the CNC work has been finished on 30 of the 90 cases which are looking pretty good so far. We're just a mere month away from shipping these out so hang tight!

Show Image

Amazing man. Thank you for checking in.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 19:12:45 »
Can someone please hook me up with the color samples from this group buy? I can't seem to find them.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 19:29:19 »
Can someone please hook me up with the color samples from this group buy? I can't seem to find them.

I don't see them on the Switchplate site anymore, but the color samples are still shown on the Taobao listing, about a third of the way down the page:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=561011231718

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 20:15:36 »

I don't see them on the Switchplate site anymore, but the color samples are still shown on the Taobao listing, about a third of the way down the page:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=561011231718

Thanks. Is the blue Cyan? I can't really tell because of the lighting. Or is it a light blue?

Offline reconsiderit

Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - Production Delay
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 03:15:42 »
There's been a sort of unexpected delay with the production of the PCBs and we won't be able to meet the original fulfillment deadline that was mid Feb to early Mar. Expecting those to finish up early march. Check the second post on the first page for more details. Really sorry about the delay and will keep everyone updated to the best of my abilities. 

switchplate.co

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 09:22:08 »
A DELAY?! IN A GB???

Thank you for the heads up :p and appreciate being so quick with announcements.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 January 2018, 09:25:16 by bmilcs »

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 18:09:58 »
how will I survive with such a delay

pray for me

Thanks for the transparent update  :thumb: glad to hear you're on top of it all.

Offline karankshah

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 11:08:41 »
Long time lurker first time poster - thanks for the update! This is still looking like one of the fastest GB's I've been in, so not a concern at all.

This will be my first time  putting together a board so looking forward to it. How will the firmware work? Specifically, it looks like you've put a lot of customizability into the board, so I don't think it's going to make sense for you to cover all the possibilities of key placements in presets. If somebody wants to go for an uncommon layout, how do they go about setting that up? Apologies if this is a noob question!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 14:31:10 »
Long time lurker first time poster - thanks for the update! This is still looking like one of the fastest GB's I've been in, so not a concern at all.

This will be my first time  putting together a board so looking forward to it. How will the firmware work? Specifically, it looks like you've put a lot of customizability into the board, so I don't think it's going to make sense for you to cover all the possibilities of key placements in presets. If somebody wants to go for an uncommon layout, how do they go about setting that up? Apologies if this is a noob question!

i think it's QMK, so just look up a guide for that
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 21:24:19 »

i think it's QMK, so just look up a guide for that

This one is TMK. I'll be posting the matrix map and everything else for you guys to put into tkg.io in a little bit.

Edit: Also, a lot of people are asking me for extras so I've linked a sort of reservation form below for extras.

https://goo.gl/forms/zFdTVwHD8Pjqf1rp2

switchplate.co

Offline online

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 05:26:14 »
Will there be any extra?
Few months too late...😞

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:55:55 »
Will there be any extra?
Few months too late...😞

Did you see the link in the post above? First step would be to fill that out :)

Offline euphxenos

Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - PCBs delayed due to CNY
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 02:37:57 »
You mentioned that you were working on inserts that would let us use PCB mount cherry stabs with alps keycaps.  How are those coming along?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 12:37:17 »
You mentioned that you were working on inserts that would let us use PCB mount cherry stabs with alps keycaps.  How are those coming along?

I have the design for those finished in CAD, but I have still yet to print them to test. I'll most likely upload those later for people to try out.

switchplate.co

Offline forumusername

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:44:12 »
Does the Alps plate accept Alps style stabs?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline daviddoctorrose

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:41:44 »

I have the design for those finished in CAD, but I have still yet to print them to test. I'll most likely upload those later for people to try out.

very excited for that! I would love to do some experimenting/testing!

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 01:23:11 »
Does the Alps plate accept Alps style stabs?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The alps plate doesn't take alps style stabs as the multiple layouts meant that the switch cutouts would overlap the alps stabilizer cutout on three sides.

That said, I have some alps inserts that are used with cherry PCB mount stab housings in the works. I want to test them before I release them or produce them.

switchplate.co

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 19:36:49 »
@reconsiderit --- can you provide us with a link to programming the PCB? I really would love to develop a layout before receiving it.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #147 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 19:55:47 »
@reconsiderit --- can you provide us with a link to programming the PCB? I really would love to develop a layout before receiving it.

Sure thing. It's basically just TKG where you use KLE to configure a layout then paste it into the compiler.

https://kai.tkg.io/

Go to the first section (General) which should be set to "Kimera - Default" and go to config. It's under presets and should be labeled "XD85"

switchplate.co

Offline karankshah

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 11:35:35 »
Any chance you are planning to put together a KLE preset or something for it?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 17:57:42 »
Any chance you are planning to put together a KLE preset or something for it?

It will come flashed with a standard layout (standard 1.25/1.25/1.25/6.25/1/1/1 bottom row), akin to other 65% boards with the f row under the top number row, arrows under wasd, etc... I'll see if I  can find the layout.

switchplate.co